[Released!] VisualMenus [Commercial]

Comments

• Cybersox said:
    Nath said:
    Cybersox said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:

Would it be possible to use this to set navigational shortcuts, not to items, but to (sub-)directories? So that the directory opens in the Content Library? That would be a real time-saver.

Cool idea! I've made a note of it.

I've solved it (for now) with GiGi_7's link to a script to make a custom action for going to a directory. And it's definitely a time-saver :-)

Urg!  I need to learn scripting.  That's crazy useful. 

I can't script either, but this is a bit of standard DAZ script: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/specific_ui/set_content_library_container/start

Open with notepad or notepad++, scroll down to the last line and change "people/Genesis 8 Female" to the directory you want to link to. I made a subdirectory in the scripts directory to collect all the copies for the various directories and give them logical names.

Awesome!  thanks!  I'm spending my weekend moving my main DAZ directory to a new drive (I completely filled a 3TB, gulp!,) but assuming that goes well, I'll be playing with this next week. 

I'm waiting for the Petabyte drives to come out myself...

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

If anyone is interested in this icon I whipped up... it's for the Transfer Utility

Drop it in any folder you like and then browse to it to put it in the Menu!  

TransferUtilityICON.png
    192 x 192 - 7K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 2018

I've never seen the anatomical elements called a Transfer Utility before, but the description is accurate. laugh (That is what the image brings to mind due to the somewhat similar graphic used for 'male'.)

@bitwelder

I'd like to congratulate you on your support.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • I have been busy the past few days so haven't had much of a chance to set these up yet, but just wanted to say thanks and add in another voice that didn't know how much I wanted this until I saw it released in the store smiley. Looks like your answers in the threads and a few scripts linked from other people already answer some of the questions I was going to have, so thanks very much for the support on this.

•    Wow....  Thank you for this AMAZING script bitwelder, Visual Menus has litterally "saved my life"...!!!  Ok, that's a bit hyperbolic, but it certainly has saved some of my hair from falling out due to the frustration and wasted time of always having to scroll through my content library to load a character or shader etc. that I need frequently, or constantly having to go to dropdown menus in Daz to switch between wireframe and Iray preview modes, or having to remember setting up HotKey configs. each time I open Daz to have a shortcut for say 'figure reset pose', Visual Menus eliminates all the frustration from doing repetitive tasks in Daz.  I have setup 2 menus with Visual Menus, one for shaders and scripts like Howies Ultrascatter or Purge memory, and another for frequently used functions like Zero pose or load G8 female, I have them hotkeyed to the tilde ~ symbol and number 1, my index and middle finger naturally go to these 2 keys anyway so it's now SUPER easy to bring up these menus for these tasks, thank you again bitwelder.  

• Just adding my thanks for the support as well bitwelder. This will make menu navigation much easier and faster.

• CerragCerrag Posts: 237
    edited December 2018
    RAMWolff said:
    bitwelder said:
    RAMWolff said:
    bitwelder said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Hi,

I'm aware of using the change palette colors but I'm talking about the right drop down menu's, the font isn't a lighter color so I can't read them until I hover over them and they light up, seems like something that can be recified.  

Thank you!  I'm glad you like my suggestions! 

Hmmmm...any chance you could post a screenshot showing what you mean? Thanks!

Here you go...

I really like this utility but wish that I could find a way to keep the menu window open.  I see in the screenshot RAMWolff  posted that there appears to be a tiny 'pin' on the window and I was curious to know if that meant you could 'pin' it to stay open and if so, how do you get that pin?  It would be much more convienient to keep the window open so I could press buttons in succession quickly rather than continously having to hit a shortcut key to bring it up every time.  Does anyone know how I can pin this window to stay open?

I know this isn't made to be a browser but was hoping to gain some browser-like functionality even if it's not a VisualMenus native function.  Still though, this is an Excellent product and so glad to have it!

8a5b02dbf6517a6e42f6eccc563952.png
    435 x 587 - 78K
    Post edited by Cerrag on
  • hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 2018

I would like an option for an icon to stretch all over the button, even with text display. Right now you only have one or the other, but it would be nice to have a checkbox so that the text display is overlaying the fullsize icon instead of sitting next to or under it.

And I second the notion for an inbuilt way to go to a specified content pane entry. While the temporary script solution works, it is also alot of work to maintain all these scripts to go to the entries :)

Post edited by hzr on
    Cerrag said:
    RAMWolff said:
    bitwelder said:
    RAMWolff said:
    bitwelder said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Hi,

I'm aware of using the change palette colors but I'm talking about the right drop down menu's, the font isn't a lighter color so I can't read them until I hover over them and they light up, seems like something that can be recified.  

Here you go...

I really like this utility but wish that I could find a way to keep the menu window open.  I see in the screenshot RAMWolff  posted that there appears to be a tiny 'pin' on the window and I was curious to know if that meant you could 'pin' it to stay open and if so, how do you get that pin?  It would be much more convienient to keep the window open so I could press buttons in succession quickly rather than continously having to hit a shortcut key to bring it up every time.  Does anyone know how I can pin this window to stay open?

I know this isn't made to be a browser but was hoping to gain some browser-like functionality even if it's not a VisualMenus native function.  Still though, this is an Excellent product and so glad to have it!

Hi, 

The pin is from another program I use that has tools to allow me to quickly move the window to my second monitor or pin to keep it on top.. this is not part of this particular script!  

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

FWIW, bitwelder did mention something about looking into persistant menus as an update. That doesn't mean he is going to add it, but he did mention he would look into it ;).

Laurie

• nicstt said:

I've never seen the anatomical elements called a Transfer Utility before, but the description is accurate. laugh (That is what the image brings to mind due to the somewhat similar graphic used for 'male'.)

@bitwelder

I'd like to congratulate you on your support.

Thanks! Hope I can keep it up...

• I have been busy the past few days so haven't had much of a chance to set these up yet, but just wanted to say thanks and add in another voice that didn't know how much I wanted this until I saw it released in the store smiley. Looks like your answers in the threads and a few scripts linked from other people already answer some of the questions I was going to have, so thanks very much for the support on this.

Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

• Just adding my thanks for the support as well bitwelder. This will make menu navigation much easier and faster.

You're welcome--I'm glad I could help! Speaking of navigation, I've implemented dedicated  "Content Library Bookmarks" in the forthcoming 1.1 (free) update.

• bitwelderbitwelder Posts: 212
    edited December 2018
    Cerrag said:
    RAMWolff said:
    bitwelder said:
    RAMWolff said:
    bitwelder said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Hi,

Here you go...

I've looked into keeping the menus open, but unfortunately it doesn't appear possible because dialog boxes are modal in Daz Studio. There could be some kind of solution by creating a docked tab/pane, but that would require a full-blown C++ plugin, and I'm not quite up to that yet, although I am learning it. I wouldn't expect to see this feature in this product, at least not any time soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Post edited by bitwelder on
    edited December 2018
    hzr said:

I would like an option for an icon to stretch all over the button, even with text display. Right now you only have one or the other, but it would be nice to have a checkbox so that the text display is overlaying the fullsize icon instead of sitting next to or under it.

Good idea! I've made a note of it for a possible future update.

hzr said:

And I second the notion for an inbuilt way to go to a specified content pane entry. While the temporary script solution works, it is also alot of work to maintain all these scripts to go to the entries :)

If you are referring to a built-in way to make Content Library Bookmarks, those have been implemented and will appear in the next update.

edited December 2018
    AllenArt said:

FWIW, bitwelder did mention something about looking into persistant menus as an update. That doesn't mean he is going to add it, but he did mention he would look into it ;).

Laurie

Speaking of updates, I've got just a few more days of work left on the 1.1 update. Instead of doing a few little fixes, I decided to just go ahead and implement some of the features people have been asking for. The main features implemented so far:

• Dedicated "Content Library Bookmarks" feature that works for "Daz Studio Formats", "Poser Formats", "Products", and "Categories"
    • "Copy actions to new menu" command which, in effect, is like changing templates for an existing menu.
    • "Sticky" Action Editor. In other words, it remembers which tab you were last in, and what was selected, making it easier to populate menus. This is a feature you can turn on/off in the prefs.
    • Ability to launch menus from the menubar and toolbar (it shows mini-icon representations of the menu)

There are a few other things I'm hoping to include/fix also, but more on those later, once they're actually done.

Once it is ready (in a few days), would anybody be interested in trying it out/testing it? I would send you a VisualMenus.dse that you could (temporarily) replace the current one in your installation...you'd need to feel comfortable/able to do this. 

•    Wow....  Thank you for this AMAZING script bitwelder, Visual Menus has litterally "saved my life"...!!!  Ok, that's a bit hyperbolic, but it certainly has saved some of my hair from falling out due to the frustration and wasted time of always having to scroll through my content library to load a character or shader etc. that I need frequently, or constantly having to go to dropdown menus in Daz to switch between wireframe and Iray preview modes, or having to remember setting up HotKey configs. each time I open Daz to have a shortcut for say 'figure reset pose', Visual Menus eliminates all the frustration from doing repetitive tasks in Daz.  I have setup 2 menus with Visual Menus, one for shaders and scripts like Howies Ultrascatter or Purge memory, and another for frequently used functions like Zero pose or load G8 female, I have them hotkeyed to the tilde ~ symbol and number 1, my index and middle finger naturally go to these 2 keys anyway so it's now SUPER easy to bring up these menus for these tasks, thank you again bitwelder.  

Thanks--I appreciate hearing it! I love hearing how people have these set up to work for them.

edited December 2018
    RAMWolff said:

If anyone is interested in this icon I whipped up... it's for the Transfer Utility

Drop it in any folder you like and then browse to it to put it in the Menu!  

Cool! Snagged. Also, in the next update I made it so it remembers the last directory you browsed to for an icon.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    bitwelder said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Speaking of updates, I've got just a few more days of work left on the 1.1 update. Instead of doing a few little fixes, I decided to just go ahead and implement some of the features people have been asking for. The main features implemented so far:

• Dedicated "Content Library Bookmarks" feature that works for "Daz Studio Formats", "Poser Formats", "Products", and "Categories"
    • "Copy actions to new menu" command which, in effect, is like changing templates for an existing menu.
    • "Sticky" Action Editor. In other words, it remembers which tab you were last in, and what was selected, making it easier to populate menus. This is a feature you can turn on/off in the prefs.
    • Ability to launch menus from the menubar and toolbar (it shows mini-icon representations of the menu)

There are a few other things I'm hoping to include/fix also, but more on those later, once they're actually done.

Once it is ready (in a few days), would anybody be interested in trying it out/testing it? I would send you a VisualMenus.dse that you could (temporarily) replace the current one in your installation...you'd need to feel comfortable/able to do this. 

I would like to try it to see if the new Content Library Bookmarks work with content installed with Daz Connect.

• bitwelder said:

Just adding my thanks for the support as well bitwelder. This will make menu navigation much easier and faster.

You're welcome--I'm glad I could help! Speaking of navigation, I've implemented dedicated  "Content Library Bookmarks" in the forthcoming 1.1 (free) update.

Sweet! Cant wait.

• Has anyone been able to script a dedicated close button? I can exit from the little exit tab at the top, I just like to have close buttons.

• barbult said:
    bitwelder said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

I would like to try it to see if the new Content Library Bookmarks work with content installed with Daz Connect.

As long as you can browse to the product in the "Content Library" pane, you should be able to set a bookmark for it, unless I'm missing something. 

edited December 2018

Has anyone been able to script a dedicated close button? I can exit from the little exit tab at the top, I just like to have close buttons.

If you are wanting a button to exit/close daz studio, you could use the built-in "Exit" action (see screenshot). If you are wanting to close a menu window without running an action, you could press "Escape" key on your keyboard, click an empty button, or make an inline script with just a comment line in it, and a description of "Close". In javascript, a comment line begins with two slashes "//"...see screenshot. Or are you trying to do something entirely different?

exit.jpg
    1102 x 732 - 102K
    empty comment.jpg
    1102 x 732 - 52K
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:
    bitwelder said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

As long as you can browse to the product in the "Content Library" pane, you should be able to set a bookmark for it, unless I'm missing something. 

Yes, I can. You mentioned "product". Will the new links only link to Content Library Products, or can it link to Content Library mapped and virtual folders in the Daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats section?
    edited December 2018
    barbult said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:
    bitwelder said:
    AllenArt said:

Yes, I can. You mentioned "product". Will the new links only link to Content Library Products, or can it link to Content Library mapped and virtual folders in the Daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats section?

I believe you'll be able to make bookmarks for anything you can browse to in the highlighted items in the screenshot. That includes any mapped folders in Daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats. I'm not sure about virtual folders--we'd just have to try it. 

contentLib.png
    444 x 359 - 23K
    OK, if you want someone to try it before you release the update, I volunteer. Most of my content is installed with Daz Connect.
  • bitwelder said:
    bitwelder said:

This is a very nice idea, it is an extremely convenient addon.

I have however a problem to run it, when I try I get the error "Error opening file" (image attached)

The log file isn't much helpful about it :

2018-12-01 17:12:07.282 Loading script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/scripts/visualmenus/visualmenus.dse
    2018-12-01 17:12:07.283 Failed to load script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/scripts/visualmenus/visualmenus.dse

I use Daz Studio 4.10 on WIndows 10

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Sorry this is happening! As Richard suggested, you could make sure you have the latest update to Daz Studio. VisualMenus also needs registry access (or plist.info for Mac)...it may be worth checking if you have security software that might be blocking it? It could also be that there is a corrupt file in the installation...this happened to me once...you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the product. Please let me know how this goes...I hope you are able to get it working!

Thank you for the suggestions.

I ran a "Check updates" from Daz Studio but I did not get further updates available.

For the registry access, I'm not sure how to check that. Daz Studio seems to work fine, shouldn't the script share its same access rights?

I tried to install the script both through DIM and downloading it manually and putting it into the runtime folder, but the result was the same.

Having thought about it, I believe the most likely cause is that you are using an slightly older version of Daz Studio (4.10.0.107), whereas the script was saved using 4.10.0.123 (the current general release). That would be the first thing to resolve. One thing you might try to force a download of the most recent version of Daz Studio:

1. Close the Daz Studio application (important, will mess things up if it is running when you uninstall it)

2. In Daz Install Manager, uninstall Daz studio by going to the "Installed" tab, checking the checkbox next to Daz Studio 4.10 and pressing the "Start Queue" button at lower left of screen

3. If Daz Studio 4.10 then shows up in the "Ready to Install" tab, right click and choose to "Delete Package". If, on the other hand, Daz Studio doesn't show up in "Ready to Install" tab, skip to step 4.

4. In the "Ready to Download" tab of Daz Studio, re-download/install Daz Studio by checking the checkbox nex to Daz Studio 4.10 and pressing the "Start Queue" button at lower left of screen...it should re-download a 'fresh' copy of Daz Studio 

If you decide to try this (at your own risk smiley), do you get the latest Daz Studio?

That worked, thank you! VM is now running fine, and I can say I'm very happy about this product

• hzr said:

This has been implemented, will appear in next update. 

fullIcon.png
    524 x 315 - 87K
  • Yes, please. :)

bitwelder said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

bitwelder said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

and you mentioned you were going to fix the font color in the drop down menus... YES?  :-)