Bryce can't handle this town scene and crashes :( [ADD new buildings]

launoklaunok Posts: 778
edited December 2018 in Bryce Discussion

I am quite disappointed but there is nothing that I can do working on this scene of a town. frown  I have used LAA but it does not help in this event.

Although the objects I am using from Sketchup Warehouse are quite low detailed it seems the textures play a big role in crashing or let Bryce run out of memory!  The attached scene I can't complete due to this.  The moment I am trying to add another building or object it run out of memory.  I have only the few buildings in foreground and an incomplete town!

I was thinking of another solution to add some simple buildings in the far background and render that.  Then on another scene delete the first buildings and add more buildings a bit closer and render that.  Then afterwards, in Photoshop, doing some cutting copy and paste the second set onto the 1st render and repeating this procedure to complete it piece by piece.  Such a schlep way I think it will be! I can't think of another way to complete the town.  I have done something similar on a render some time back which actually worked but the scene was not so complex as a whole town scene.

Or are there more ways to do so?

Post edited by launok on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

As you say  it could be the textures that are the problem    I tend to try reducing the Physical size of the textures if I can do it without losing too much detail,   or even, when it is a building or buildings try to substitute Bryce mats for the texturres.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111

launok - if you modify your scene, the previous state is saved so that you can alt-z back to where you were before. This buffer is 16 levels deep and it takes memory. If you just have a cube, that won't take a lot of memory but is you have a building, it may well fill up the memory fast. Save your scene often, quit Bryce, relaunch it and load your scene. This will clear the buffer. Since you already have LAA, start the Process Monitor (you find it on the same site as LAA) and watch the memory use of Bryce. This is better than the Task Monitor to watch memory use.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 2018
    Chohole said:

As you say  it could be the textures that are the problem    I tend to try reducing the Physical size of the textures if I can do it without losing too much detail,   or even, when it is a building or buildings try to substitute Bryce mats for the texturres.

I explained it launok several times, but apparently she has a bad memory. On the characters, you also need to reduce the texture to 128x128.

Post edited by Slepalex on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 778
    edited December 2018

Slepalex, as far as I remember the conversation we had was all about the terrain height map generator and World Machine, etc.  I am not using either in this scene. Roads are a low-poly model from Sketchup Warehouse which I have pasted on terrain. I am not familiar with Bryce in the sense of reducing the textures. Bryce textures are very limited, especially for using on clothing materials (fabrics). Should I do this reducing of textures in the native programs beforehand, i.e. Daz Studio or Sketchup?  Daz Studio's textures on characters are quite HD, but Sketchup's are very low.

Post edited by launok on
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    launok said:

Slepalex, as far as I remember the conversation we had was all about the terrain height map generator and World Machine, etc.  I am not using either in this scene. Roads are a low-poly model from Sketchup Warehouse which I have pasted on terrain. I am not familiar with Bryce in the sense of reducing the textures. Bryce textures are very limited, especially for using on clothing materials (fabrics). Should I do this reducing of textures in the native programs beforehand, i.e. Daz Studio or Sketchup?  Daz Studio's textures on characters are quite HD, but Sketchup's are very low.

We are talking about raster textures that come with characters, buildings, etc.
    You go to the texture editor in Bryce, copy the texture (the "copy" button), open the free IrfanView viewer, paste the texture (Ctrl + V) and see that the texture is 2048x2048, reduce it (Ctrl + R) by entering the numeric width (256x256 or 128x128), height decreases proportionally. You copy the reduced texture in IrfanView (or photoshop or what do you use?) Ctrl + C, return to the Bryce texture editor and paste the reduced texture. Enter, Enter, Enter, Ctrl + S - save the Bryce scene.
    This procedure takes much less time than I write, edit and translate these lines into English.
    _______
    And I wrote about it here on the forum several times. Get yourself a digital notebook and copy all the interesting offers and read them at night. :-)

edited December 2018

Still a WIP - need to add more trees, plants, even people.

Up to this far, Bryce hasn't crashed at all.  Just show how low-poly these objects are in comparison with my 1st attempt!

I have used the same terrain but changed it a bit.

BRYCE CITY NEW.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 207K
    Post edited by launok on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited December 2018

I'm glad you could finally make it. Low poly buildings are the right approach, I think. And in my opinion they look really nice. Well done!

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 2018

I'm glad you could finally make it. Low poly buildings are the right approach, I think. And in my opinion they look really nice. Well done!

Thank you Alex!  The only thing with some of these models, they loose their original textures partly when exporting.  Some of them also can't be ungrouped, but luckilly it's not always like that.  Then one can add your own.

Post edited by launok on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755

Launok: certainly going in the right direction. Looks already quite good.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 2018

Launok - beautiful town you have there, if you make the mountain top a bit flat you will have a Table Mountain in the background. I love how you build these little towns

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111

launok - that came out nice.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,096

launok : very nice town WIP.