Comments

• bitwelderbitwelder Posts: 212
    edited December 2018
    bitwelder said:
    bitwelder said:

Crashes Studio 4.10.0.123 every time.

nowefg said:

Studio 4.10.0.123 W7 pro i7 24GB ram

I have looked at the video and pdf tutorials, and am following the steps, in order.

Created a custom action for the script so I could open it with Content Library items selected

Open Script, choose New, select menu style

Double click menu buttons, add content items

Select Add Keybpoard Shortcut, go to Customization Pane, select menu, add keyboard shortcut

This is where the crash happens, hitting either Apply or Accept. In either case, either Studio locks up indefinitely, or it just crashes.

Fix needed.

Really sorry about this--and thank you for the detailed report! I'm working on a permanent solution, and in the meantime I believe you can bypass the crash by setting keyboard shortcuts directly in the Daz Studio Customize window (accessing it through Daz Studio, and not through the VisualMenus dashboard window) , which you can bring up from the menubar (Window --> Workspace --> Customize) or by pressing F3 on your keyboard. Thanks again for the report.

Post edited by bitwelder on
  • Im getting a small issue in which windows dont close unless you click the exit tab about three times. Slightly annoying but nothing huge.

• Im getting a small issue in which windows dont close unless you click the exit tab about three times. Slightly annoying but nothing huge.

Thanks for the report! Is this on Windows or Mac? Which windows is this happening with?

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited December 2018
    bitwelder said:

Im getting a small issue in which windows dont close unless you click the exit tab about three times. Slightly annoying but nothing huge.

Thanks for the report! Is this on Windows or Mac? Which windows is this happening with?

Its on windows. It may have something to do with navigating back and forth between multiple menu windows. If I pull up "My Library, select Genesis Females and then just go back and forth between categories several times then it seems to occur. Also, the buttons can sometimes get stuck in the hover over animation, but there is no functionality loss at all.

Post edited by AnotherUserName on
  • nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    bitwelder said:
    bitwelder said:
    bitwelder said:

Crashes Studio 4.10.0.123 every time.

Thanks. I'll give that a whirl. I would like to say that Visual Menus is one of those serendipitous products... I'd just been thinking that I need something like it, as my library keeps growing in leaps and bounds, but I mostly do the same actions over and over, but spend ever more time scrolling and running out of room in my Custom actions toolbar adds... Looking forward, and I'll try your suggestion meantime.

bitwelder said:
    nowefg said:

Studio 4.10.0.123 W7 pro i7 24GB ram

I have looked at the video and pdf tutorials, and am following the steps, in order.

Created a custom action for the script so I could open it with Content Library items selected

Open Script, choose New, select menu style

Double click menu buttons, add content items

Select Add Keybpoard Shortcut, go to Customization Pane, select menu, add keyboard shortcut

This is where the crash happens, hitting either Apply or Accept. In either case, either Studio locks up indefinitely, or it just crashes.

Fix needed.

Really sorry about this--and thank you for the detailed report! I'm working on a permanent solution, and in the meantime I believe you can bypass the crash by setting keyboard shortcuts directly in the Daz Studio Customize window (accessing it through Daz Studio, and not through the VisualMenus dashboard window) , which you can bring up from the menubar (Window --> Workspace --> Customize) or by pressing F3 on your keyboard. Thanks again for the report.

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557

Just to report, applying the keyboard shortcut directly from the Studio Customization pane works like a charm. Create a menu, close VM, go to DS Workspace Customization pane, add a shortcut, accept. Use shortcut. Bingo.

I'll look forward to a fix, but meanwhile I can use Visual Menus, and like so many other users reporting here, I love it. And thanks for the quick response and very detailed documentation.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    bitwelder said:

Im getting a small issue in which windows dont close unless you click the exit tab about three times. Slightly annoying but nothing huge.

Its on windows. It may have something to do with navigating back and forth between multiple menu windows. If I pull up "My Library, select Genesis Females and then just go back and forth between categories several times then it seems to occur. Also, the buttons can sometimes get stuck in the hover over animation, but there is no functionality loss at all.

I've gotten this too but I found it to be a very super-small annoyance since it doesn't affect functionality at all ;)

Laurie

• Would it be possible to include a button option, something like "close on click", that would let the user set wether or not the menu closed after clicking a button? Heres my thought. If I select a figure from my G8 menu, the window closes and the figure is loaded. Often though, the next thing I have to do is go to my materials folder. That means I have to pull My Library up again and navigate back to the figure menu and then go to the materials menu or something like that. If I could set the option on figure buttons to not close the menu after selecting an item, I can then just navigate to the materials menu from there. I know that there are the keyboard shortcuts, but to be honest, im never going to remember all of them.

Possible update feature?

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

I discovered another problem that is probably a Daz Studio issue and not a visual menus issue. I set a keyboard shortcut to Shift+* with the customize menu. I hit the shift key and the 8 key on the main keyboard. The shortcut in the customize menu is shown as Shift+*. But when I later hit that same key combination that I used to create the shortcut, it doesn't work. If I hit Shift +* using * on the numeric key pad it works.

Hey, thanks for the additional screenshots and other details--it actually helps me alot. I believe you are correct about  the keyboard shortcut issue having to do with the Daz Studio application--I get the exact same result, and I've noticed similar weirdness with other keys. Since you are using DS 4.11, I believe you could set Shift+8 with the "Set Shortcut" button, in case you haven't tried it already. Thanks again!

Hi bitwelder. Im having another issue with keyboard shortcuts. Im assigning the shortcut according to your video instructions. Everything goes smoothly until I close out of the visual menus main menu. After that, Daz goes into a loading loop that I have to close in the task manager. Shrotcut not saved as a result.

Thoughts?

I ran into that as well: workaround is to assign the shortcuts directly, not through the visual menus main menu. Go to Window->Workspace->Customize (or press F3) and go to Actions->Custom (from here it is the same again as in the instructions, except Studio doesn't hang/crash).

Thanks for this info! This is concerning--I wonder how many people are experiencing this...  I wish it were happening to me so I could troubleshoot it directly. 

That's exactly the issue I'm seeing, that I pointed out in the other thread. I thought at the time it was from having the script added into the scripts drop-down, but further testing showed it to be almost any time I tried to add the shortcut through visualmenus. Nothing about it shows up in the logs though.
  • nowefg said:

Just to report, applying the keyboard shortcut directly from the Studio Customization pane works like a charm. Create a menu, close VM, go to DS Workspace Customization pane, add a shortcut, accept. Use shortcut. Bingo.

I'll look forward to a fix, but meanwhile I can use Visual Menus, and like so many other users reporting here, I love it. And thanks for the quick response and very detailed documentation.

I'm glad to hear that this workaround is working. Could I ask if when you get that crash, was the VisualMenus script launched from the Script menu at the top of the screen, or from double clicking the script's icon in the Content Library? Does the crash also occur when you launch VisualMenus from the Content Library? I would also love to hear from anyone else who is experiencing this crash. 

• AllenArt said:
    bitwelder said:

I've gotten this too but I found it to be a very super-small annoyance since it doesn't affect functionality at all ;)

Laurie

I tried, and tried, to eliminate those little glitches, but nothing would work. I suspect they are issues with QT, the underlying programming framework that Daz Studio is built upon that supplies its user-interface elements (and a whole bunch of other things). I'm doubltful that I will be able to fix these annoying artifacts, unfortunately. They might get resolved if Daz Studio gets updated to a newer version of  QT, although I understand that can be quite a laborious/time-intensive process and with all the Daz Studio developers are working on now, I kind of doubt we'll see that change in the near future.

• Would it be possible to include a button option, something like "close on click", that would let the user set wether or not the menu closed after clicking a button? Heres my thought. If I select a figure from my G8 menu, the window closes and the figure is loaded. Often though, the next thing I have to do is go to my materials folder. That means I have to pull My Library up again and navigate back to the figure menu and then go to the materials menu or something like that. If I could set the option on figure buttons to not close the menu after selecting an item, I can then just navigate to the materials menu from there. I know that there are the keyboard shortcuts, but to be honest, im never going to remember all of them.

Possible update feature?

Let me make sure I understand: you would like the option to have a visual menu window remain open after you press one of its buttons, so you can then press another button on it? I'm thinking this might be possible, although I'm not entirely sure...I'll have to play with it. I've added it to the list of features to investigate.

• bitwelderbitwelder Posts: 212
    edited December 2018
    dragotx said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

I discovered another problem that is probably a Daz Studio issue and not a visual menus issue. I set a keyboard shortcut to Shift+* with the customize menu. I hit the shift key and the 8 key on the main keyboard. The shortcut in the customize menu is shown as Shift+*. But when I later hit that same key combination that I used to create the shortcut, it doesn't work. If I hit Shift +* using * on the numeric key pad it works.

Hey, thanks for the additional screenshots and other details--it actually helps me alot. I believe you are correct about  the keyboard shortcut issue having to do with the Daz Studio application--I get the exact same result, and I've noticed similar weirdness with other keys. Since you are using DS 4.11, I believe you could set Shift+8 with the "Set Shortcut" button, in case you haven't tried it already. Thanks again!

Hi bitwelder. Im having another issue with keyboard shortcuts. Im assigning the shortcut according to your video instructions. Everything goes smoothly until I close out of the visual menus main menu. After that, Daz goes into a loading loop that I have to close in the task manager. Shrotcut not saved as a result.

Thoughts?

I ran into that as well: workaround is to assign the shortcuts directly, not through the visual menus main menu. Go to Window->Workspace->Customize (or press F3) and go to Actions->Custom (from here it is the same again as in the instructions, except Studio doesn't hang/crash).

Thanks for this info! This is concerning--I wonder how many people are experiencing this...  I wish it were happening to me so I could troubleshoot it directly. 

That's exactly the issue I'm seeing, that I pointed out in the other thread. I thought at the time it was from having the script added into the scripts drop-down, but further testing showed it to be almost any time I tried to add the shortcut through visualmenus. Nothing about it shows up in the logs though.

Oh, darn! I was hoping this might be the culptrit of the crashes. Can anyone else reading this also confirm?...that Daz Studio hangs after setting keyboard shortcuts with the "Set Shortcuts via Customize" button, even when launching VisualMenus from the Content Library and not from the Script menu at the top of the screen? I believe this is happening to you, dragotx, just trying to see how wide-spread it might be :) 

Post edited by bitwelder on
  • EXCELLENT PRODUCT!!!!!!!!  Very well document and very very useful.   THANK YOU bitwelder for giving Daz a huge upgrade.   This plugin gets my best product of the year award.  

Thank you! Happy to hear it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,135

I was able to export my menus from 4.11 Beta and import them into 4.10, but the shortcut keys were not setup in 4.10 by that process. Do I have to manually set the shortcut keys again after import, or did I miss a step to export/import the shortcut key settings?

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited December 2018
    bitwelder said:

Would it be possible to include a button option, something like "close on click", that would let the user set wether or not the menu closed after clicking a button? Heres my thought. If I select a figure from my G8 menu, the window closes and the figure is loaded. Often though, the next thing I have to do is go to my materials folder. That means I have to pull My Library up again and navigate back to the figure menu and then go to the materials menu or something like that. If I could set the option on figure buttons to not close the menu after selecting an item, I can then just navigate to the materials menu from there. I know that there are the keyboard shortcuts, but to be honest, im never going to remember all of them.

Possible update feature?

Let me make sure I understand: you would like the option to have a visual menu window remain open after you press one of its buttons, so you can then press another button on it? I'm thinking this might be possible, although I'm not entirely sure...I'll have to play with it. I've added it to the list of features to investigate.

Exactly. A menu would open, I would press a button which would load something or do something else, but the menu would stay open. I could then press another button on that same menu which would then close the menu and send me to another menu or load something else. For example. Charlotte 8 always loads without her eyelash materials. The menu system I would make would go from My Library (menu) > Genesis 8 Females (menu)> Charlotte 8 (button on Genesis 8 Females menu). Genesis 8 Female Menu remains open after clicking Charlotte 8 > Materials (button on Genesis 8 Females menu) > G8 Females menu closes> Genesis 8 Materials (menu, opens). I hope that makes sense. smiley

Post edited by AnotherUserName on
  • dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    bitwelder said:
    dragotx said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

Thoughts?

Oh, darn! I was hoping this might be the culptrit of the crashes. Can anyone else reading this also confirm?...that Daz Studio hangs after setting keyboard shortcuts with the "Set Shortcuts via Customize" button, even when launching VisualMenus from the Content Library and not from the Script menu at the top of the screen? I believe this is happening to you, dragotx, just trying to see how wide-spread it might be :) 

I have not tried it by opening the main script from content library yet, never even thought about that. I've only ever opened it through smart content, I'll try and remember to test it through the library instead when I get home from work tonight. I am absolutely loving this little utility though, it's exactly what I needed
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,305
    edited December 2018
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

Thoughts?

I am also suffering the same issue. Fortunately the workaround suggested work fine.

Edit: I should add that I am using the latest release version (4.10), not the beta. OS is Windows 10.

Post edited by Havos on
  • barbult said:

I was able to export my menus from 4.11 Beta and import them into 4.10, but the shortcut keys were not setup in 4.10 by that process. Do I have to manually set the shortcut keys again after import, or did I miss a step to export/import the shortcut key settings?

Yes, you would need to set the keyboard shortcuts manually after an import. After4.11 releases it will be cleaner/easier (because of bug fixes/refinements in Daz Studio) for me to ask the user if they want to set the shortcuts from the imported menus...we'll get there eventually.

• bitwelder said:

Would it be possible to include a button option, something like "close on click", that would let the user set wether or not the menu closed after clicking a button? Heres my thought. If I select a figure from my G8 menu, the window closes and the figure is loaded. Often though, the next thing I have to do is go to my materials folder. That means I have to pull My Library up again and navigate back to the figure menu and then go to the materials menu or something like that. If I could set the option on figure buttons to not close the menu after selecting an item, I can then just navigate to the materials menu from there. I know that there are the keyboard shortcuts, but to be honest, im never going to remember all of them.

Possible update feature?

Exactly. A menu would open, I would press a button which would load something or do something else, but the menu would stay open. I could then press another button on that same menu which would then close the menu and send me to another menu or load something else. For example. Charlotte 8 always loads without her eyelash materials. The menu system I would make would go from My Library (menu) > Genesis 8 Females (menu)> Charlotte 8 (button on Genesis 8 Females menu). Genesis 8 Female Menu remains open after clicking Charlotte 8 > Materials (button on Genesis 8 Females menu) > G8 Females menu closes> Genesis 8 Materials (menu, opens). I hope that makes sense. smiley

I think I'm getting it--thanks for the explanation. I'll look into it.

• Havos said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

Thoughts?

I am also suffering the same issue. Fortunately the workaround suggested work fine.

Edit: I should add that I am using the latest release version (4.10), not the beta. OS is Windows 10.

Thanks for the report! When you launch VisualMenus, how are you doing it? Is it from the Script menu at the top of screen, Smart Content tab, or Content Library tab?

• How about the facility to merge a saved file into the current scene ?

Can anybody point me at some scripting to do that ?

Thanks

S.

It's in the available actions.

That just opens the file dialog, how do I specify the file I want to merge ?

S.

• How about the facility to merge a saved file into the current scene ?

Can anybody point me at some scripting to do that ?

Thanks

S.

It's in the available actions.

That just opens the file dialog, how do I specify the file I want to merge ?

S.

That's for setting up a button to launch the Merge command. So once you have your menu (set up a shortcut to launch), you'll press the Merge button which will open the file browser and you navigate to the file you want to merge. It just takes the place of File>Merge.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,135
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

Yes, you would need to set the keyboard shortcuts manually after an import. After4.11 releases it will be cleaner/easier (because of bug fixes/refinements in Daz Studio) for me to ask the user if they want to set the shortcuts from the imported menus...we'll get there eventually.

Thanks, I appreciate your continued support here in the forum. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305
    bitwelder said:
    Havos said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

Thoughts?

Thanks for the report! When you launch VisualMenus, how are you doing it? Is it from the Script menu at the top of screen, Smart Content tab, or Content Library tab?

I think I initially launched it from the content library. After that I set up a custom action so it appeared on my scripts menu. I now launch using a short cut I set up via the work around.

• CerragCerrag Posts: 242
    edited December 2018

Sorry if I missed this somewhere but I'm trying to setup this script:  Set_Content_Library_Poser_Formats_Container.dsa  to navigate to my Poser PEOPLE folder but no matter how I change this file for the directory path, it won't work.  Even just trying to run it unmodified, it doesn't change the directory in Content Manager.  I've had great success modifying the other script to jump straight to my Daz content using the instructions from Nath (Thank you Nath!) but cannot make the Poser script navigate to the poser directories.   It'd be a huge timesaver to be able to jump to my Poser content and I'd be ever so grateful for any suggestions!

P.S. My poser people directory is:  K:\- RUNTIMES\Studio3\content\RUNTIME\LIBRARIES\CHARACTER\- PEOPLE

Nath said:
    Nath said:
    Cybersox said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:

Would it be possible to use this to set navigational shortcuts, not to items, but to (sub-)directories? So that the directory opens in the Content Library? That would be a real time-saver.

Cool idea! I've made a note of it.

I've solved it (for now) with GiGi_7's link to a script to make a custom action for going to a directory. And it's definitely a time-saver :-)

Urg!  I need to learn scripting.  That's crazy useful. 

I can't script either, but this is a bit of standard DAZ script: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/specific_ui/set_content_library_container/start

Open with notepad or notepad++, scroll down to the last line and change "people/Genesis 8 Female" to the directory you want to link to. I made a subdirectory in the scripts directory to collect all the copies for the various directories and give them logical names.

Im completely lost.

I changed the bottom line to the category that I want to navigate to. Where do I put the script? I put it in the script folder but I dont think its being recognized? Could you post a step by step if its not too much trouble?

No problem, and I hope this makes sense.

Assuming that you use the content library rather dan Smart Content or Connect (in which case: sorry, I have no idea…), here’s how I did it.

I use Notepad++ to edit the files (but notepad should also work)

The final line in the original is:

// Finalize the function and invoke

})( "People/Genesis 3 Female" );

For the subdirectory where I keep all cats, I change that to:

})( "Animals/!Cat" );

I then save the script as Animals Cat.dsa (I also have Animals Dog etc), so that I know which one it is.

This file I put in a subdirectory scripts/!!go to

The exclamation marks in the names are to make sure it alphabetically sorts to the top of the list of sub-directories – if that isn’t part of your naming convention, it’s not important, just pick a naming structure that makes sense to you. The script IS however case sensitive, so make sure you copy the names exactly.

This is what the subdirectory looks like in Windows Explorer and in Studio after I was done creating a bunch of copies of the script. You should now be able to add a script to a menu like any other content item. (click on the attachment to see it full-size/legible)

Post edited by Cerrag on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Cerrag said:

Sorry if I missed this somewhere but I'm trying to setup this script:  Set_Content_Library_Poser_Formats_Container.dsa  to navigate to my Poser PEOPLE folder but no matter how I change this file for the directory path, it won't work.  Even just trying to run it unmodified, it doesn't change the directory in Content Manager.  I've had great success modifying the other script to jump straight to my Daz content using the instructions from Nath (Thank you Nath!) but cannot make the Poser script navigate to the poser directories.   It'd be a huge timesaver to be able to jump to my Poser content and I'd be ever so grateful for any suggestions!

P.S. My poser people directory is:  K:\- RUNTIMES\Studio3\content\RUNTIME\LIBRARIES\CHARACTER\- PEOPLE

Nath said:
    Nath said:
    Cybersox said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:

Would it be possible to use this to set navigational shortcuts, not to items, but to (sub-)directories? So that the directory opens in the Content Library? That would be a real time-saver.

I've solved it (for now) with GiGi_7's link to a script to make a custom action for going to a directory. And it's definitely a time-saver :-)

I can't script either, but this is a bit of standard DAZ script: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/specific_ui/set_content_library_container/start

Open with notepad or notepad++, scroll down to the last line and change "people/Genesis 8 Female" to the directory you want to link to. I made a subdirectory in the scripts directory to collect all the copies for the various directories and give them logical names.

Im completely lost.

I changed the bottom line to the category that I want to navigate to. Where do I put the script? I put it in the script folder but I dont think its being recognized? Could you post a step by step if its not too much trouble?

Assuming that you use the content library rather dan Smart Content or Connect (in which case: sorry, I have no idea…), here’s how I did it.

})( "Animals/!Cat" );

I then save the script as Animals Cat.dsa (I also have Animals Dog etc), so that I know which one it is.

The exclamation marks in the names are to make sure it alphabetically sorts to the top of the list of sub-directories – if that isn’t part of your naming convention, it’s not important, just pick a naming structure that makes sense to you. The script IS however case sensitive, so make sure you copy the names exactly.

This is what the subdirectory looks like in Windows Explorer and in Studio after I was done creating a bunch of copies of the script. You should now be able to add a script to a menu like any other content item. (click on the attachment to see it full-size/legible)

I'm on my small laptop, so can't test whether it works for me at the moment, but might the double 'runtime' in your poser directory's filename cause a problem?

Nath said:
    Cerrag said:

Nath said:
    Nath said:
    Cybersox said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:

Im completely lost.

})( "Animals/!Cat" );

I'm on my small laptop, so can't test whether it works for me at the moment, but might the double 'runtime' in your poser directory's filename cause a problem?

Hey thanks and yeah, it's that way cause I didn't know what I was doing when I first setup Studio.  I'm hoping tho that that's not the problem since it'll cost me some time to change it.  However, I really want this to work so if need be ...  ;)

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Cerrag said:
    Nath said:
    Cerrag said:

Nath said:
    Nath said:
    Cybersox said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:

Im completely lost.

})( "Animals/!Cat" );

Hey thanks and yeah, it's that way cause I didn't know what I was doing when I first setup Studio.  I'm hoping tho that that's not the problem since it'll cost me some time to change it.  However, I really want this to work so if need be ...  ;)

It might be worth setting up a small separate runtime with just a few items to test it?

I've run into naming issues myself with the RSSY clothing conversion scripts and have to rename some directories back to standard practice to run them (and put them back to my preference after), so it happens to us all laugh

edited December 2018
    Nath said:
    Cerrag said:
    Nath said:
    Cerrag said:

Nath said:
    Nath said:
    Cybersox said:
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    Nath said:

Im completely lost.

})( "Animals/!Cat" );

It might be worth setting up a small separate runtime with just a few items to test it?

I've run into naming issues myself with the RSSY clothing conversion scripts and have to rename some directories back to standard practice to run them (and put them back to my preference after), so it happens to us all laugh

Thx and that's a great idea!  I'll try it and post the results.  

Post edited by Cerrag on