[Released!] VisualMenus [Commercial]

Comments

• barbult said:

This is a very nice idea, it is an extremely convenient addon.

I have however a problem to run it, when I try I get the error "Error opening file" (image attached)

The log file isn't much helpful about it :

2018-12-01 17:12:07.282 Loading script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/scripts/visualmenus/visualmenus.dse
    2018-12-01 17:12:07.283 Failed to load script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/scripts/visualmenus/visualmenus.dse

I use Daz Studio 4.10 on WIndows 10

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

4.10.0.123? You can check in Help>About Daz studio.

It is 4.10.0.107

It may well be that the script was saved from 4.10.0.123 - you can see that in the tool tip if you hover the mouse over the file - in which case you would need to update to that version (or use the Public Beta of 4.11).

I only see 4.10. It doesn't show minor versioning. Is this the tool tip you are referring to?

Oh, I thought it used to give the full version. Another way to test would be to right-click on the script file and select Open in ScriptIDE - if it is too new it will fail, possibly with a more informative error.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited December 2018
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

I discovered another problem that is probably a Daz Studio issue and not a visual menus issue. I set a keyboard shortcut to Shift+* with the customize menu. I hit the shift key and the 8 key on the main keyboard. The shortcut in the customize menu is shown as Shift+*. But when I later hit that same key combination that I used to create the shortcut, it doesn't work. If I hit Shift +* using * on the numeric key pad it works.

Hey, thanks for the additional screenshots and other details--it actually helps me alot. I believe you are correct about  the keyboard shortcut issue having to do with the Daz Studio application--I get the exact same result, and I've noticed similar weirdness with other keys. Since you are using DS 4.11, I believe you could set Shift+8 with the "Set Shortcut" button, in case you haven't tried it already. Thanks again!

I gave this a try (keyboard shortcut button). I was able to set the shortcut to Shift+8 with that button. Now the shortcut works on the main keyboard when I type Shift+8, but it does not work on the numeric keypad in any combination I t ried. I guess the numeric keypad has different key codes, even though both keys have an 8 on them. frown Ah, the mysteries of life. Thanks for the suggestion.

What does Meta mean in the keyboard shortcut key modifier list?

I did see that the menu to select the keyboard shortcut has the same dark font issue.

Screenshot 2018-12-01 18.02.07.png
    508 x 588 - 35K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Big question.

Suppose I create a menu for all my g8fs. I have exactly as many buttons in this menu as I have base characters. I then add a new g8f to my library. Is there a way to edit the menu I created, alter size, add buttons, etc. or do I have to create that menu all over again? Im not worried about changing the style, but if I have to create a new menu every time I add something to my library, thats going to be a serious limitation.

As far as I can tell, it's not possible to make a menu bigger. I just made all my menus the 22 button size - I'm more about efficiency than good looks and so I don't mind seeing empty buttons that I can add info to as I go along or in the future if necessary. Each of my menus has buttons of a single colour, apart from my master menu, which has buttons of all different colours, each corresponding to the colour of the menu it links to. I've yet to fill one of my 22 button menus, but when I do then the last button will just link to another menu in the series with the same colour (e.g Lights 2). My master menu is called 'All Organized' so that it sits at the top of the list in Visual Menus. This probably all makes more sense to do than it does to read :) Finding anything this way just involves remembering one shortcut for the master menu and then clicking twice.

I know I've already said it, but I love this product. I can have a mixed up menu that links to all the things I'd use, regardless of the source (e.g light sets from Daz and Rendo, quickly available to choose from via a single menu), I can have products and tools mixed up in a single menu too - my 'Speed Booster' menu has a button for the Decimator window, one to open Matty's 'Resource Saver Shaders' in the Content Library, one for the Scene Optimizer product and even one for the Spot Render tool. It's just not possible to make all of those things accessible to together so quickly (or at all, as far as I know). Bitwelder seems very quick to address any issues or produce updates if necessary. I can't see this being something I'll ever regret buying.

• BlueIrene said:

Big question.

Suppose I create a menu for all my g8fs. I have exactly as many buttons in this menu as I have base characters. I then add a new g8f to my library. Is there a way to edit the menu I created, alter size, add buttons, etc. or do I have to create that menu all over again? Im not worried about changing the style, but if I have to create a new menu every time I add something to my library, thats going to be a serious limitation.

As far as I can tell, it's not possible to make a menu bigger. I just made all my menus the 22 button size - I'm more about efficiency than good looks and so I don't mind seeing empty buttons that I can add info to as I go along or in the future if necessary. Each of my menus has buttons of a single colour, apart from my master menu, which has buttons of all different colours, each corresponding to the colour of the menu it links to. I've yet to fill one of my 22 button menus, but when I do then the last button will just link to another menu in the series with the same colour (e.g Lights 2). My master menu is called 'All Organized' so that it sits at the top of the list in Visual Menus. This probably all makes more sense to do than it does to read :) Finding anything this way just involves remembering one shortcut for the master menu and then clicking twice.

I know I've already said it, but I love this product. I can have a mixed up menu that links to all the things I'd use, regardless of the source (e.g light sets from Daz and Rendo, quickly available to choose from via a single menu), I can have products and tools mixed up in a single menu too - my 'Speed Booster' menu has a button for the Decimator window, one to open Matty's 'Resource Saver Shaders' in the Content Library, one for the Scene Optimizer product and even one for the Spot Render tool. It's just not possible to make all of those things accessible to together so quickly (or at all, as far as I know). Bitwelder seems very quick to address any issues or produce updates if necessary. I can't see this being something I'll ever regret buying.

I hadnt thought about "Continue" buttons, but I have been leaving room for "Back" buttons,etc. Thanks for the idea. I dont mind if I have huge menus with empty space either. Ill just make a master template and go with that. By the way, if you havent made your own templates yet with QTDesigner (I think thats what it was called), its super easy.

BlueIrene said:

Big question.

I hadnt thought about "Continue" buttons, but I have been leaving room for "Back" buttons,etc. Thanks for the idea. I dont mind if I have huge menus with empty space either. Ill just make a master template and go with that. By the way, if you havent made your own templates yet with QTDesigner (I think thats what it was called), its super easy.

I'd thought about making a template of my own, but figured that there wasn't a lot of point since the included templates more or less met my needs and that I could always make my own in the future. Then I thought about how neat it is that everything is just where I've put it in Daz Studio, and your comment made me think 'Yes, why not?'. I'm pleased that I did it, but since it meant replacing the menus I'd already made using an included template with otherwise identical menus using a template I'd made myself, it wasn't without a few hitches. Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same, this is what they were...

Firstly, because you can't just change the template of your menu, you have to rename the old one (I just added 'Two' to the end), then create a new one with the old one's original name and copy the entries from the first and paste them into the second, one at a time for what feels like forever (realising how glad you are that you didn't leave this until some point in the future after all, when you'd probably have had more menus with even more entries!). After this, you delete all your old menus.

Next, whatever is going on under the hood uses numbers (or something other than the names, anyway) to identify the menus. I'd pretty much expected this as I don't suppose you'd be able to rename them as easily and still have the system know what you're on about, but I still didn't really think it through properly. If, as I did, you've recreated a master menu first (with links to your other menus) before recreating your other menus, your master menu is still going to link to the old ones and you're going to have to assign the new ones to your buttons instead.

Lastly, I could not assign a shortcut to my new master menu without Studio crashing. After repeated attempts and trying things like recreating the menu again with one of the supplied templates, none of which worked, I eventually discovered via Window/Workspace/Customize (Daz Studio main menu) that even though I had deleted unwanted menus, there were still references to them under Actions/Custom. These were probably visible when I was trying to assign a shortcut through the Visual Menus dialog, I just never noticed them. Or something. Once I'd deleted them, everything worked properly and I was able to assign my shortcut without Daz crashing and laughing at me.

I hope that helps someone. I could probably have explained it all better but it has just gone 4.00am here and my brain is closing down. I would hate it to sound like all of the above was more trouble than it was worth, though. It really wasn't. I still love this product (and promise never to say it again until next time!). It makes me feel like Christmas has come early to Daz Studio :)

• AllenArt said:

I am loving this! I can go right to a folder fast as anything without having to root down thru folder menus!! :D

Laurie

Glad to hear it! I love it when tedium can be eliminated...

• Paintbox said:

Absolutely love this! As an avid Content Library user (never liked the Smart Content) this is a real power tool!  I have also used the content script posted earlier, that is just amazing, to quickly switch between different modes of operation.

Genius work Bitwelder!

Can you change the name of a button? I don't see it named in the manual or any functions related to it. I do see you can change menu names, but not individual buttons.

Thanks, Paintbox! It looks like Cris answered your question about renaming buttons (thanks Cris!). Also, thanks for the heads up.

• This is a very nice idea, it is an extremely convenient addon.

I have however a problem to run it, when I try I get the error "Error opening file" (image attached)

2018-12-01 17:12:07.282 Loading script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/scripts/visualmenus/visualmenus.dse
    2018-12-01 17:12:07.283 Failed to load script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/scripts/visualmenus/visualmenus.dse

4.10.0.123? You can check in Help>About Daz studio.

It is 4.10.0.107

It may well be that the script was saved from 4.10.0.123 - you can see that in the tool tip if you hover the mouse over the file - in which case you would need to update to that version (or use the Public Beta of 4.11).

Yes, I can confirm it was saved from 4.10.0.123. Thanks Richard! @silvioarturi_d26d1707cd, have you had any luck by updating to the latest Daz Studio? 

• This is a very nice idea, it is an extremely convenient addon.

Sorry this is happening! As Richard suggested, you could make sure you have the latest update to Daz Studio. VisualMenus also needs registry access (or plist.info for Mac)...it may be worth checking if you have security software that might be blocking it? It could also be that there is a corrupt file in the installation...this happened to me once...you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the product. Please let me know how this goes...I hope you are able to get it working!

• BlueIrene said:

I bought this earlier after realising what a timesaver it could be with just a little effort now on my part in setting up some menus now. I love it already, and have realised how much using Daz Studio has been like the time I shared a kitchen with my mother-in-law when we stayed with her for two weeks when we were between house moves. Using Daz Studio now is a lot more like having my own kitchen, with everything where I put it and quickly being able to find it :)

I also wanted to comment on how much I like your videos. I'm probably a bit over-fussy as I know it doesn't take much to distract or annoy me when it comes to videos and the presenter's style, but yours are just ideal, getting straight to the point without any fuss or waffle, yet covering everything and demonstrating it all perfectly with beautifully clear speech (I'm partially deaf, but would not have known it on listening). Maybe video tutorials are your next calling when you run out of product ideas :)

Glad you are liking it! And thanks for the complementary words about my videos. It was surprising to me how long it takes to make a video. I thought I'd save time by making videos instead of a written user guide..,boy was I wrong! It turns out that for me to make a video where I'm not completely rambling and getting all tongue-tied and confused is to actually write out a script ahead of time, word-for-word.

• Platnumk said:

Items from the Smart Content Pane doesn't appear when adding an action

See video here https://www.dropbox.com/s/huf7uq81mllzwds/VM.mov?dl=0

Sorry that is happening, and thank you for this video! I'll definitely be looking into this...

• bitwelderbitwelder Posts: 212
    edited December 2018
    Nath said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

I discovered another problem that is probably a Daz Studio issue and not a visual menus issue. I set a keyboard shortcut to Shift+* with the customize menu. I hit the shift key and the 8 key on the main keyboard. The shortcut in the customize menu is shown as Shift+*. But when I later hit that same key combination that I used to create the shortcut, it doesn't work. If I hit Shift +* using * on the numeric key pad it works.

Hey, thanks for the additional screenshots and other details--it actually helps me alot. I believe you are correct about  the keyboard shortcut issue having to do with the Daz Studio application--I get the exact same result, and I've noticed similar weirdness with other keys. Since you are using DS 4.11, I believe you could set Shift+8 with the "Set Shortcut" button, in case you haven't tried it already. Thanks again!

Hi bitwelder. Im having another issue with keyboard shortcuts. Im assigning the shortcut according to your video instructions. Everything goes smoothly until I close out of the visual menus main menu. After that, Daz goes into a loading loop that I have to close in the task manager. Shrotcut not saved as a result.

Thoughts?

I ran into that as well: workaround is to assign the shortcuts directly, not through the visual menus main menu. Go to Window->Workspace->Customize (or press F3) and go to Actions->Custom (from here it is the same again as in the instructions, except Studio doesn't hang/crash).

Thanks for this info! This is concerning--I wonder how many people are experiencing this...  I wish it were happening to me so I could troubleshoot it directly. 

Post edited by bitwelder on
  • 3dOutlaw said:
    bitwelder said:
    RAMWolff said:
    bitwelder said:
    RAMWolff said:
    bitwelder said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Hi,

I'm aware of using the change palette colors but I'm talking about the right drop down menu's, the font isn't a lighter color so I can't read them until I hover over them and they light up, seems like something that can be recified.  

Thank you!  I'm glad you like my suggestions! 

Hmmmm...any chance you could post a screenshot showing what you mean? Thanks!

Here you go...

Ah-hah! Thanks for the screenshot--I've adressed this in a minor update which I'll be submitting to Daz this weekend. Not sure how long it will take to actually roll out, though.

Definitely post here what's included in any updates for those of us on the fence!

Will do! Let me know if there are any special features that you would like to see. Also, you could always try it, and return it for any reason within 30 days--you probably already know that, but just in case you didn't. 

• Big question.

It isn't currently possible to change the menu layout once you've set it, but I plan to make it available in a future update.

• barbult said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

I gave this a try (keyboard shortcut button). I was able to set the shortcut to Shift+8 with that button. Now the shortcut works on the main keyboard when I type Shift+8, but it does not work on the numeric keypad in any combination I t ried. I guess the numeric keypad has different key codes, even though both keys have an 8 on them. frown Ah, the mysteries of life. Thanks for the suggestion.

I did see that the menu to select the keyboard shortcut has the same dark font issue.

In Windows, at least, I believe Meta refers to the Windows button on the keyboard. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent on Mac?

• BlueIrene said:
    BlueIrene said:

I'd thought about making a template of my own, but figured that there wasn't a lot of point since the included templates more or less met my needs and that I could always make my own in the future. Then I thought about how neat it is that everything is just where I've put it in Daz Studio, and your comment made me think 'Yes, why not?'. I'm pleased that I did it, but since it meant replacing the menus I'd already made using an included template with otherwise identical menus using a template I'd made myself, it wasn't without a few hitches. Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same, this is what they were...

Firstly, because you can't just change the template of your menu, you have to rename the old one (I just added 'Two' to the end), then create a new one with the old one's original name and copy the entries from the first and paste them into the second, one at a time for what feels like forever (realising how glad you are that you didn't leave this until some point in the future after all, when you'd probably have had more menus with even more entries!). After this, you delete all your old menus.

Next, whatever is going on under the hood uses numbers (or something other than the names, anyway) to identify the menus. I'd pretty much expected this as I don't suppose you'd be able to rename them as easily and still have the system know what you're on about, but I still didn't really think it through properly. If, as I did, you've recreated a master menu first (with links to your other menus) before recreating your other menus, your master menu is still going to link to the old ones and you're going to have to assign the new ones to your buttons instead.

Lastly, I could not assign a shortcut to my new master menu without Studio crashing. After repeated attempts and trying things like recreating the menu again with one of the supplied templates, none of which worked, I eventually discovered via Window/Workspace/Customize (Daz Studio main menu) that even though I had deleted unwanted menus, there were still references to them under Actions/Custom. These were probably visible when I was trying to assign a shortcut through the Visual Menus dialog, I just never noticed them. Or something. Once I'd deleted them, everything worked properly and I was able to assign my shortcut without Daz crashing and laughing at me.

I hope that helps someone. I could probably have explained it all better but it has just gone 4.00am here and my brain is closing down. I would hate it to sound like all of the above was more trouble than it was worth, though. It really wasn't. I still love this product (and promise never to say it again until next time!). It makes me feel like Christmas has come early to Daz Studio :)

Sorry for all these isssues--I hope I can make it easier and more workable.

• How about the facility to merge a saved file into the current scene ?

Can anybody point me at some scripting to do that ?

Thanks

S.

• bitwelder said:

Big question.

It isn't currently possible to change the menu layout once you've set it, but I plan to make it available in a future update.

Thanks for this, totally cool!

• How about the facility to merge a saved file into the current scene ?

Can anybody point me at some scripting to do that ?

Thanks

S.

It's in the available actions.

• bitwelder said:

Sorry this is happening! As Richard suggested, you could make sure you have the latest update to Daz Studio. VisualMenus also needs registry access (or plist.info for Mac)...it may be worth checking if you have security software that might be blocking it? It could also be that there is a corrupt file in the installation...this happened to me once...you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the product. Please let me know how this goes...I hope you are able to get it working!

Thank you for the suggestions.

I ran a "Check updates" from Daz Studio but I did not get further updates available.

For the registry access, I'm not sure how to check that. Daz Studio seems to work fine, shouldn't the script share its same access rights?

I tried to install the script both through DIM and downloading it manually and putting it into the runtime folder, but the result was the same.

• If you do a manual install, you should have a folder designated for Scripts in your My Daz Library folder. I'm on a Mac so am hesitant to give you the path, however, the contents of the downloaded zip should give you the path with the folder structure. My Runtime folder is only for Textures and Support folders when it comes to Studio. 

• Platnumk said:

This has been fixed, and will appear in the next update. Now selected assets in both "Files" and "Products" tabs of Smart Content will appear in the VisualMenus action editor's "Content Items" tab. Thanks again for taking the time to make the video! 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

This has quickly shot to number one of my "Most useful DS Tools" list ;)

Laurie

• bitwelderbitwelder Posts: 212
    edited December 2018
    bitwelder said:

Thank you for the suggestions.

I ran a "Check updates" from Daz Studio but I did not get further updates available.

For the registry access, I'm not sure how to check that. Daz Studio seems to work fine, shouldn't the script share its same access rights?

I tried to install the script both through DIM and downloading it manually and putting it into the runtime folder, but the result was the same.

Having thought about it, I believe the most likely cause is that you are using an slightly older version of Daz Studio (4.10.0.107), whereas the script was saved using 4.10.0.123 (the current general release). That would be the first thing to resolve. One thing you might try to force a download of the most recent version of Daz Studio:

1. Close the Daz Studio application (important, will mess things up if it is running when you uninstall it)

2. In Daz Install Manager, uninstall Daz studio by going to the "Installed" tab, checking the checkbox next to Daz Studio 4.10 and pressing the "Start Queue" button at lower left of screen

3. If Daz Studio 4.10 then shows up in the "Ready to Install" tab, right click and choose to "Delete Package". If, on the other hand, Daz Studio doesn't show up in "Ready to Install" tab, skip to step 4.

4. In the "Ready to Download" tab of Daz Studio, re-download/install Daz Studio by checking the checkbox nex to Daz Studio 4.10 and pressing the "Start Queue" button at lower left of screen...it should re-download a 'fresh' copy of Daz Studio 

If you decide to try this (at your own risk smiley), do you get the latest Daz Studio?

Post edited by bitwelder on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Absolutely! The amount of time this saves is incredible.

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    bitwelder said:
    Platnumk said:

This has been fixed, and will appear in the next update. Now selected assets in both "Files" and "Products" tabs of Smart Content will appear in the VisualMenus action editor's "Content Items" tab. Thanks again for taking the time to make the video! 

Thanks for letting me know about the fix & keep up the great work as this was money well spent

edited December 2018
    Paintbox said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Absolutely! The amount of time this saves is incredible.

It's not just saving time for me, either. I've put my most used tools and products into my menus, but went through my stuff to create the links and found a surprising amount of 'most used' from the relatively recent past that I'd stopped using because I'd forgotten they were there and where they were - mostly lights and effects. The options that I automatically reach for now have grown, choosing between them takes seconds and I can make my art much more interesting in a fraction of the time. I've also cleared a few items from my wishlist after realising how similar they were to products I'd forgotten I owned (and am using again now they're so simple to find). I've a feeling that VisualMenus has probably paid for itself here already.

Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    barbult said:
    bitwelder said:
    barbult said:

they do have different keycodes

• EXCELLENT PRODUCT!!!!!!!!  Very well document and very very useful.   THANK YOU bitwelder for giving Daz a huge upgrade.   This plugin gets my best product of the year award.  

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    edited December 2018

Crashes Studio 4.10.0.123 every time.

Studio 4.10.0.123 W7 pro i7 24GB ram

I have looked at the video and pdf tutorials, and am following the steps, in order.

Created a custom action for the script so I could open it with Content Library items selected

Open Script, choose New, select menu style

Double click menu buttons, add content items

Select Add Keybpoard Shortcut, go to Customization Pane, select menu, add keyboard shortcut

This is where the crash happens, hitting either Apply or Accept. In either case, either Studio locks up indefinitely, or it just crashes.

Fix needed.

Post edited by nowefg on