Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Quick Serial Number question.

First, DAZ added the sn to my account. Thanks.

When I installed, it picked up the beta sn and did not ask for the new one. Is there a way to re-enter the sn or just wait till Sept 1st when it expires and put my new one in then?

Thanks,
    ncamp

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

wallase said:
    So when installing with The Install Manager I just set all to DAZ etc... and it will install all to one one runtime or as Content that only works in Carrara?:sick:
    That depends on your settings and what other software you use.

Carrara will show the icons for Poser CF files, since they have Poser Extensions, but it can not read them.

I personally don't install my Poser Companion Files to the same Content structure as the rest of my content, then did not map that folder to Carrara.

If you don't use and don't install the DSON for Poser files, then yes, what you are doing will work just fine and not be confusing.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

By some reason I've been kicked out of the PC today. No discount, or access to the members only forum, but in My Account it tells me that I'm a member.

Have you fixed something that didn't need fixing in the shop...and a ticket has been submitted ... # 148534

• edited December 1969

Wow, it's been so many years since I installed Grid. Spooky, do I install Grid on my main machine, on the rendernodes, on both? It's not installed by Daz Install Manager, and I don't see any details on just which computer to install it on.

Boojum

edited December 1969

ncamp said:

When I installed, it picked up the beta sn and did not ask for the new one. Is there a way to re-enter the sn or just wait till Sept 1st when it expires and put my new one in then?

Thanks,
    ncamp

There is a little DAZ Shuriken on the top right. Pull that down and "Register Carrara." You can then enter your new serial number.
    RegisterC8.jpg
    315 x 147 - 12K
    edited December 1969

Wow, it's been so many years since I installed Grid. Spooky, do I install Grid on my main machine, on the rendernodes, on both? It's not installed by Daz Install Manager, and I don't see any details on just which computer to install it on.

Boojum

Main machine. First time you do a network render is when it asks for the serial number.

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:

Thanks,
    ncamp

There is a little DAZ Shuriken on the top right. Pull that down and "Register Carrara." You can then enter your new serial number.

That got it. Thanks.

edited December 1969

wallase said:
    OMg Lovely the download process finally goes in order.. Starting from Carrara first even though it not on the top of the list.. Nice upgrade procedure. I Wish Wish Wish Dynamic hair is easier to work with in this... and I would even Consider getting the render farm product if in fact I can take very very large scenes from Daz Scenes or obj format.
    As long as the DAZ Studio 4.6 scene doesn't have 2 of the same Legacy base figures in it (2 or more Victoria 4 figures for example.) it should work just fine.

Dynamic Hair is fairly easy to set up but animating it can be difficult to master. There are several tutorials that people have put together for it both on Youtube and Vimeo.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

Yay! $85.50--sold. Thanks Spooky.

• WallytheartistWallytheartist Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wallase said:
    OMg Lovely the download process finally goes in order.. Starting from Carrara first even though it not on the top of the list.. Nice upgrade procedure. I Wish Wish Wish Dynamic hair is easier to work with in this... and I would even Consider getting the render farm product if in fact I can take very very large scenes from Daz Scenes or obj format.
    As long as the DAZ Studio 4.6 scene doesn't have 2 of the same Legacy base figures in it (2 or more Victoria 4 figures for example.) it should work just fine.

Dynamic Hair is fairly easy to set up but animating it can be difficult to master. There are several tutorials that people have put together for it both on Youtube and Vimeo.

Im tryign to load a whopping Big scene with 10 Characters. For sure i have more than 2 of each.. weird Im going to test it.. Each of the character were shaped different and posed different to seem unique in the scene.. at 50% loading now after it went to 100% and flashes like a blink from time to time... cant wait to see if this thing does light really good as well as it does plants...
    Cant wait to mix my overloaded pipeline..
    Vue 11.5 Xstream does big scenes for me.. Ones that cause daz to crash.

3Ds Max gives a light perspective that seems real...

I wish they can put in Carrara something to help import and pose yourself through things Like Kinect Iclone Pipeline..

I talk alot so ill slow down. but i hope this can handle big files as well.. sometimes i cant get my big files to even load in 3DS max. it maxes out my 64GB and just sits for a day doing nothing but maxing memory.

At 60% loading scene. in Carrara 8.5..

If it loads this is going to be epic. EPIC E P I C..

Does Does it Support 3DX Connection interface?

Does Architools plugin still going to ask for serial everytime the user opens Carrara? or even get updated?

Export features still at a standstill? Due to Carraras internal replication system?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Still doesn't recognize me as either a prior owner of Carrara 8 or a Platinum Club member, for unknown reasons (as I'm both a prior owner of 8 and a PC member), and wants me to pay full price. I want to escalate to daz help but I'm at work and the link to Zendesk isn't working (probably blocked on my work computer, not necessarily anything wrong with the link). I just want to call Daz and get this straightened, but can't access the help page to find the contact number. Can anyone see it and relay it here so I can call while I'm on a quick work break?

$85 is steep (especially because I don't think I'll be using M5 V5), but just barely doable and I want to keep current. But paying over $300 for a .5 upgrade with very few feature enhancements just isn't happening, so i want to get this straightened out.

I'm happy to see that PhilW's portrait studio is out too, and I'll be picking that up once DAZ straightens out my account.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

I uninstalled my 8.5 beta and Carrara 8.1 installs. Upon installing the new 8.5 Pro I noticed that the content file is missing(?), so I installed the 8.1 content for use with my 8.5 install. This file: C8_NativeContent_8.0.0.13_Win.exe.

Is this an issue of a missing file? Or was it not included with 8.5?

edited December 1969

Well it has now begun Climbing up the GB Chain of ram when it hit 64.3 of loading the DUF.. Crossing my fingers.

So the scene has to be each character different as in only 1xGenesis, 1xMichael 5, etc.? is there a max of characters that can be loaded... I can test it sometime if not.

For now i will let carrara climb the GB wall of death LOL>> perhaps it can load under different circumstances. I will be checking it out

8-26-2013_2-21-39_PM.jpg
    1648 x 491 - 148K
  • edited August 2013

Glad that the S/N issue is resolved. :)

NEXT PROBLEM: I have both C8.0 PRO and C8.5 PRO installed in separate folders (both installed via DIM). Both are now properly registered.... The C8.0 Browser has dozens and dozens of Scenes and even a greater number of Shaders. Compared to the C8.5 Browser that has no Scenes and just a few Skin Shaders.

So, Why is that?

- Aren't the 8.0 Scenes and Shaders included with 8.5?
    - Are we supposed to install 8.5 on top of 8.0 - contrary to what the DIM did?
    - If I keep the separate installs, do I have to manually add all the 8.0 Scene and Shader files to 8.5?
    - Did I screw something up?

Rather confused ATM.... Oh, same issue for Objects too.

No downloads pending in DIM and all Carrara related DLs have been installed...

Advise please.

Post edited by peterhartquist_541ea36713 on
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

I havent read anywhere what's the difference between standard and pro versions other than getting the V5/M5 starter bundle with one and the v5/M5 Pro bundle with the other. I really wish there was an easy to find feature comparison between the 2 different versions of Carrara 8.5.

David

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

I havent read anywhere what's the difference between standard and pro versions other than getting the V5/M5 starter bundle with one and the v5/M5 Pro bundle with the other. I really wish there was an easy to find feature comparison between the 2 different versions of Carrara 8.5.

David

http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-tech-specs/

• edited December 1969

David

Here's a compare list for C8.0 - I would expect that nearly all the differences apply to C8.5 as well.

Features for Pro version are highlighted on that page. Maybe not be perfectly accurate for C8.5 - but it should give you an idea.

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

A question, Does somebody know if it is possible to use the elite carrara shaders from V4 on Genesis in Carrara 8.5?
    (just like using V4 textures/UV's in DAZ Studio on Genesis)

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    I uninstalled my 8.5 beta and Carrara 8.1 installs. Upon installing the new 8.5 Pro I noticed that the content file is missing(?), so I installed the 8.1 content for use with my 8.5 install. This file: C8_NativeContent_8.0.0.13_Win.exe.

Missing file. Thanks. On it.
  • JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    JK0011 said:
    Really wanted to upgrade to 8.5 Pro but not sure I will. I own both V5/M5 pro bundles so that isn't an incentive and Major sells right around the corner (hopefully) Guess I will give this more thought. :down:

I was trying to figure out who was the Major, and what is he selling, LOL!

(major sales...I finally got it)

LOL Sorry 3doutlaw didn't mean to get your hopes up... (my spelling apparently has decided to take a leave of absence today lol)

edited December 1969

jerham said:
    A question, Does somebody know if it is possible to use the elite carrara shaders from V4 on Genesis in Carrara 8.5?
    Yes and No. You can use them, but you have to apply the parts individually.
  • jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

jerham said:
    Yes and No. You can use them, but you have to apply the parts individually.

Thanks for the quick reply, . My first one went totally wrong, so i was wondering if i should spend time on it. i'll try experiment with it some more. Just love the elite Marie shaders :)

• edited December 1969

nDelphi said:

There are two 8.5 Native Content files in my Product Library (Std and Pro) - both are dinky compared with the size of the 8.0 Native Content files.

The 8.5's appear to only contain skin shaders.

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:

There are two 8.5 Native Content files in my Product Library (Std and Pro) - both are dinky compared with the size of the 8.0 Native Content files.

The 8.5's appear to only contain skin shaders.Correct. Those are skin shaders done by BTL to cover the M5 and V5 bundles included with Carrara. The Carrara Native Content File, accidentally, got replaced instead of having those added to the list of downloads.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

David

Here's a compare list for C8.0 - I would expect that nearly all the differences apply to C8.5 as well.

Features for Pro version are highlighted on that page. Maybe not be perfectly accurate for C8.5 - but it should give you an idea.

No, it's not helpful. I would prefer a chart for 8.5. One that compares the standard version versus the pro version, not compare the 32-bit versus the 64-bit.

David

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well so much for not needing CMS - I am still getting the same error about not being able to load any .cr2 file when i try to load genesis stuff, I thought we had built in support for genesis?

edited December 1969

So is this why double characters cannot be imported? Picture below..

also so perhaps i guess importing it in obj format is the next best option.

Where is this location that it cant find the files?

8-26-2013_3-02-23_PM.jpg
    1920 x 1137 - 412K
    edited December 1969

David

No, it's not helpful. I would prefer a chart for 8.5. One that compares the standard version versus the pro version, not compare the 32-bit versus the 64-bit.

DavidA little further down the page lists the features in Carrara 8. Standard does not include the features that say Pro only. All the features that are new for Carrara 8.5 are, I believe, in both.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    3doutlaw said:
    Since we have your attention, Daz_Spooky...any thoughts on plans for Carrara 9? Be nice to know the product is going to move ahead after this! :)
    I thought the plan was already announced. :)

Not on the DAZ 3D Forums, AFAIKIt was carried at Carrara Cafe, I thought it was cross posted here, but apparently not.

http://carraracafe.com/breaking-news-carrara-8-5-to-be-released-end-of-summer-with-several-new-features-carrara-9-to-follow-q1-2014/

"...are working on some plans to release 9.0 either Q4 or Q1 2014"?

The plans are that you have plans? I guess, technically, that answers my question....LOL! Any specific features that you may want to share (since in software speak, Q4/Q1 is right around the corner!)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

And the pricing has gone wonky again - I now seem to show the 50% previous version discount, but the PC discount is gone. I just refreshed the browser and no change; the store page gives me the 48% (to $285) and the cart knocks another $142 off, leaving the price $143.