Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I'll repeat my question: I don't need bundles, can I buy a cheaper update without them?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited August 2013

Antara said:
    And they just found the missing data element. Everyone should now show update pricing correctly.

Just to let you know there are at around 60 different products you could have purchased to have purchased Carrara from DAZ.

Please explain the phrase I highlighted in bold. I understand all the words, but I don't get a meaning of that phrase.

Also, any chance for those of us who already own Victoria 5 Pro and Michael 5 Pro bundles, to get a special coupon or discount on other Genesis Pro bundles we don't yet have when we buy Carrara 8.5 Pro? I think that would really make the upgrade an immediate sealed deal.As an example, to purchase Carrara 8, you could have purchased
    Carrara 8 Standard
    Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 7 Standard upgrade to Carrara 8 Standard
    Carrara 7 Pro upgrade to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 7 Standard upgrade to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 7 Express to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 7 Express to Carrara 8 Standard
    Buy Carrara 7 Standard and get Carrara 8 Standard on release
    Buy Carrara 7 Pro and get Carrara 8 Pro on release.
    Carrara 5 or 6 Standard upgrade to Carrara 8 Standard
    Carrara 5 or 6 Standard upgrade to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 5 or 6 Pro upgrade to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 8 Multi-pay
    Carrara 8 Pro Multi-pay

And I am sure I am missing at least one of the ways. In the old store each of those was a separate product with a different product number.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    I'll repeat my question: I don't need bundles, can I buy a cheaper update without them?
    No
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Antara said:

Just to let you know there are at around 60 different products you could have purchased to have purchased Carrara from DAZ.

Please explain the phrase I highlighted in bold. I understand all the words, but I don't get a meaning of that phrase.

What I think he means is that there are multiple ways that you could end up as a Carrara 8.1 owner (thus qualifying you for upgrade pricing).

For example, you could have bought Carrara 8.1 or 8.1 Pro outright as a new product. You could have bought an upgrade from one of several earlier versions. You could have bought an upgrade from the basic 8.1 to 8.1 Pro. Possibly Carrara was sold as part of some kind of bundle. Maybe you bought it as part of the Unflateable Pony Pro bundle, which was on sale for just four minutes shortly after midnight on April 1, 2012. (OK, I made that last one up).

The point is that each of these options probably has a separate product code in their system. DAZ needs to identify all the product codes that correspond to someone owning a copy of Carrara 8.1 (regular or pro) and enter them into their system to make sure that everyone gets the correct discount.

I don't speak for DAZ, so I may have this all wrong - but I think that's what he means.

Also, any chance for those of us who already own Victoria 5 Pro and Michael 5 Pro bundles, to get a special coupon or discount on other Genesis Pro bundles we don't yet have when we buy Carrara 8.5 Pro? I think that would really make the upgrade an immediate sealed deal.

As an owner of both M5 Pro and V5 Pro, I'm strongly in favor of this idea.

I went ahead and bought C8.5 Pro anyway, because Carrara is now my preferred app and the 8.5 betas convinced me that it was getting better with each iteration. But if DAZ wanted to sweeten the pill a little for loyal customers, I for one wouldn't say "Aw, heck, you don't need to do that."

• tezentezen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@ DAZ_Spooky @ DAZzzers...
    ...finally the price was right and I`m downloading right now. Thx.

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited August 2013

Cool, now seeing the 142 dollar price, with a possible 85 for Platinum in cart. Thanks.

Still, if I'm right, this ends on the 9th, and the next possibility of me getting this is on the 10th, right? No dice. ;D Though maybe future upgrades...

Post edited by AeonicB on
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited August 2013

DAZ_Spooky, Thank you for the explanation!

angusm said:
    Antara said:
    Also, any chance for those of us who already own Victoria 5 Pro and Michael 5 Pro bundles, to get a special coupon or discount on other Genesis Pro bundles we don't yet have when we buy Carrara 8.5 Pro? I think that would really make the upgrade an immediate sealed deal.

As an owner of both M5 Pro and V5 Pro, I'm strongly in favor of this idea.

I went ahead and bought C8.5 Pro anyway, because Carrara is now my preferred app and the 8.5 betas convinced me that it was getting better with each iteration. But if DAZ wanted to sweeten the pill a little for loyal customers, I for one wouldn't say "Aw, heck, you don't need to do that."

Also. a discount would mean that we would spend more at DAZ buy getting another Pro bundle with Carrara as well, so DAZ wins too this way.

And the discount could just go to all users who placed an order for Carrara while having already V5 and M5 pro bundles in their accounts.

Post edited by Antara on
  • SwitchbackSwitchback Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

I also don't need the bundles as I have already purchased them a long time ago so I could use them in Carrara. I just didn't think it would take this long and has had a big influence on my purchasing content from daz for awhile.

I was eagerly waiting for 8.5 to be released for the "minimal charge" that you guys had said it would be months ago. This price might be minimal for some of you but it is a little high...........

Sorry....I guess that question has been answered.

Post edited by Switchback on
  • jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

Looks like the shopping cart is settling down. If understand correctly, previous owners of Carrara (Pro or not) get 1/2 off the price of either variant of 8.5.
    So that makes the cost:
    $142.5 to upgrade to 8.5 Pro.
    $75 to upgrade to 8.5

$24 of Platinum Club gets you an additional 40% discount which yields:
    285 * 0.6 * 0.5 = 85.5 + 24 = $109.5 for Pro
    150 * 0.6 * 0.5 = 45 + 24 = $69 for 8.5

I think the difference between Pro and non-Pro has been much more in the past.

- Jasen.

Post edited by jasenj1 on
  • SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

AyAyAy LOL The discount got fixed so Yay! Placed my order. However the gremlins got so excited they charged me twice! OY Lol
    Yes yes.. submitted ticket already :)
    This was just one bizarre order :p

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

JK0011 said:
    Really wanted to upgrade to 8.5 Pro but not sure I will. I own both V5/M5 pro bundles so that isn't an incentive and Major sells right around the corner (hopefully) Guess I will give this more thought. :down:

I was trying to figure out who was the Major, and what is he selling, LOL!

(major sales...I finally got it)

• edited December 1969

My 8.5 Pro upgrade cost $85 as both a platinum member and owning 8.0 Pro. So either there are still some issues or your math is off slightly.

Boojum the brown bunny

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited December 1969

Antara said:
    And they just found the missing data element. Everyone should now show update pricing correctly.

As an example, to purchase Carrara 8, you could have purchased
    Carrara 8 Standard
    Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 7 Standard upgrade to Carrara 8 Standard
    Carrara 7 Pro upgrade to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 7 Standard upgrade to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 7 Express to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 7 Express to Carrara 8 Standard
    Buy Carrara 7 Standard and get Carrara 8 Standard on release
    Buy Carrara 7 Pro and get Carrara 8 Pro on release.
    Carrara 5 or 6 Standard upgrade to Carrara 8 Standard
    Carrara 5 or 6 Standard upgrade to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 5 or 6 Pro upgrade to Carrara 8 Pro
    Carrara 8 Multi-pay
    Carrara 8 Pro Multi-pay

And I am sure I am missing at least one of the ways. In the old store each of those was a separate product with a different product number.

some people like me, upgraded from a version on a magazine disc

mag_disc.jpg
    1003 x 693 - 172K
  • edited December 1969

Woo hoo!!! It looks like if you owned Grid for Carrara 8.0 that they are giving you a free upgrade to it for Carrara 8.5! That will unlock extra nodes for my renderfarm!

Boojum the brown bunny

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Serial Number is listed as "Serialnumber for Carrara 8.5 Pro" Instead of starting with "Carrara 8 Pro" or "Carrara 7 Pro" "Carrara 6 Pro" in the other listings. It was easy to miss for me, too.

Whoa... Can't wait to try it out! But, alas... I must... work :(
    Driving me nuts! I had V5 Pro already - now I have M5 Pro, which is $124.95 on it's own! Woot!

Freaked me out to wake up and see all of the chaos! Sorry, DAZ... must be frustrating as hell... and to all of you going through it, too.

Glad to see it all getting ironed out now. Oh... I'm feeling sick... I better go home for the day....

edited December 1969

Woo hoo!!! It looks like if you owned Grid for Carrara 8.0 that they are giving you a free upgrade to it for Carrara 8.5! That will unlock extra nodes for my renderfarm!

Boojum the brown bunny

No charge for any of the plug-ins to upgrade to 8.5.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

tezen said:
    @ DAZ_Spooky @ DAZzzers...
    ...finally the price was right and I`m downloading right now. Thx.
    Good ta see ya, Tezen!!!
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

Glad to see it all getting ironed out now. Oh... I'm feeling sick... I better go home for the day....

LOL! I bet it's a fever! Right?

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Since we have your attention, Daz_Spooky...any thoughts on plans for Carrara 9? Be nice to know the product is going to move ahead after this! :)

• edited December 1969

Hey Spooky, hows it going? Can you tell me the proper way to install the Carrara 8.5 rendernodes on my renderfarm machines? I notice that Daz Install Manager is installing it on my main machine. Is the recommended way to install DazInstallManager on all my render nodes and use it to install the 8.5 rendernode? Or is it recommended we do a manual download and install of the rendernodes software?

Also, do we still need to copy our etc and data folders from the main machine onto all the rendernodes? I know we used to have to do that because othewise the nodes wouldn't have tree leaves and plugins....

Boojum the brown bunny

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Since we have your attention, Daz_Spooky...any thoughts on plans for Carrara 9? Be nice to know the product is going to move ahead after this! :)
    I thought the plan was already announced. :)
    edited December 1969

Hey Spooky, hows it going? Can you tell me the proper way to install the Carrara 8.5 rendernodes on my renderfarm machines? I notice that Daz Install Manager is installing it on my main machine. Is the recommended way to install DazInstallManager on all my render nodes and use it to install the 8.5 rendernode? Or is it recommended we do a manual download and install of the rendernodes software?

Also, do we still need to copy our etc and data folders from the main machine onto all the rendernodes? I know we used to have to do that because othewise the nodes wouldn't have tree leaves and plugins....

Boojum the brown bunny

For installing Render nodes either Install Manager or the Bit Rock Installers works. You can either put Install Manager on each computer and copy the zips to the download directory, if you don't want to download more than once or have each of them download it. As far as Carrara is concerned there is no difference in the install method.

Yes, you still have to copy the data folder.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

It's really strange - after the end of the Beta I wanted to go back to my original Carrara 7 Express, but guess my surprise, when it turned out, that I now can't access the earlier version as well !

That's not good !!

I just checked my product page. I have active download links for C7 Express and the previous C3D Express. Did you uinstall the beta and then try re-installing C7 Express?

I really don't see why the beta would interfere with function of previous versions. I hope this isn't some new trend in DAZ software applications. If it is, that ends any future use.

edited August 2013

icprncss said:
    It's really strange - after the end of the Beta I wanted to go back to my original Carrara 7 Express, but guess my surprise, when it turned out, that I now can't access the earlier version as well !

That's not good !!

I just checked my product page. I have active download links for C7 Express and the previous C3D Express. Did you uinstall the beta and then try re-installing C7 Express?

I really don't see why the beta would interfere with function of previous versions. I hope this isn't some new trend in DAZ software applications. If it is, that ends any future use.It isn't a trend. It definitely isn't intentional. In fact I am at a loss as to how it could have happened, since Carrara 8 doesn't even look for Carrara 7 to uninstall. While the Beta did look for Carrara 8, the release version of Carrara 8.5 doesn't look to uninstall either Carrara 7 or Carrara 8.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:

Not on the DAZ 3D Forums, AFAIK

• UnseenUnseen Posts: 603
    edited December 1969

Thanks for fixing the issue. The right price does now appear once the upgrade is in the cart ($85.5)...

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

The price is working fo rme, now, so I bought it---I'll start the download when I get home. I already had the V5 bundle and some of the M5 stuff, but it looks like there are a few things to download I didn't have.

The price seemed a bit steep to me at first, but I checked my account history and my updgrade to C8 was about 140.00. I was able to set aside some money when I heard the release date, though. Still, I almost went for the standard version.

Looking forward to getting home and installing--the last week with the beta was a bit frustrating (mostly with genesis 2 stuff, though).

• WallytheartistWallytheartist Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So when installing with The Install Manager I just set all to DAZ etc... and it will install all to one one runtime or as Content that only works in Carrara?:sick:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    3doutlaw said:

Not on the DAZ 3D Forums, AFAIKIt was carried at Carrara Cafe, I thought it was cross posted here, but apparently not.

http://carraracafe.com/breaking-news-carrara-8-5-to-be-released-end-of-summer-with-several-new-features-carrara-9-to-follow-q1-2014/

• WallytheartistWallytheartist Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

OMg Lovely the download process finally goes in order.. Starting from Carrara first even though it not on the top of the list.. Nice upgrade procedure. I Wish Wish Wish Dynamic hair is easier to work with in this... and I would even Consider getting the render farm product if in fact I can take very very large scenes from Daz Scenes or obj format.

Post edited by Wallytheartist on