Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• PiratesMoonPiratesMoon Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Import Question:

I just use Carrara Pro. So now with the new Install Manager, and the release of 8.5, I'm going to redownload and install content.

For Carrara 8.5 Pro, when two versions are available for download, if I don't need both, which is best -- for example:

Should I download and install

Space Relic DS (19 MB) or
    Space Relic Ps (19 MB)

??

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

Turk_WLF said:
    I have 2 questions and a few comments about Carrara 8.5 Pro…

1) How well is Carrara 8.5 Pro with loading and using Pre Version 8 Carrara file(s), I have an older file that I know that works in Carrara 8 Pro (Built 8.1.0.153) & saved, I tried using Carrara 8.5 Beta it didn’t work & I’ve tried reporting it but I felt like I was getting stonewall (by the Bug list team) last year.

2) I have both Carrara 8 Pro & Carrara 8.5 Pro until I get used to Carrara 8.5 Pro on the same hard Drive?

3) I really hope that the $285.00 is a misprint for the upgrade price since I already have Carrara 8.1 Pro.

4) I already have both V5 & M5 Pro Bundles I wished Daz at least offer some such of a discount on V6 or another Pro bundle, for us who already have both bundles.

DAZ_Jared has already said that the cheapest way to get Carrara Pro 8.5 is to first join the PC for $24 (3 months sub). The upgrade price at the moment is 50% of the price shown on the store page. This should apply when you place C8.5 into your cart and got to the full cart view.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • tezentezen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@ DAZ_Spooky:
    ...what about the price for C8pro-upgrade-users who still didn´t get to update for 85$? ...171$ is too much for that 0.5-update even if two figures are included.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Import Question:

I just use Carrara Pro. So now with the new Install Manager, and the release of 8.5, I'm going to redownload and install content.

For Carrara 8.5 Pro, when two versions are available for download, if I don't need both, which is best -- for example:

Space Relic Ps (19 MB)

??

Unfortunately that question is more complex than you might imagine.

If the files are DUF those work better than other content file types (Of course other than .CAR/.CBR files :) ). If the DS version is .daz and/or .DS/.DSA/.DSB/.DSE then use the Poser version.

edited December 1969

tezen said:
    @ DAZ_Spooky:
    ...what about the price for C8pro-upgrade-users who still didn´t get to update for 85$? ...171$ is too much for that 0.5-update even if two figures are included.
    That should be correct, in General, but since there have been so many ways to buy Carrara in the past, not all situations may have been covered, yet. They are still looking for cases that may have gotten missed.
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

Previous 8 pro owner and PC member, but price in cart is $ 285

edited December 1969

@ DAZ_Spooky:
    But all C8pro-users who upgraded from C6 or C7 are still waiting I think ;) ... hope DAZ fix that soonTM :D ...

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,756
    edited December 1969

$171 for a half point upgrade? Are you kidding me?

Thanks DAZ, you've made it really easy to put that money aside for buying Lightwave.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795
    edited December 1969

I see we get a pretty splashscreen
    (can show, that is my BETA serial still that will expire)
    To register the Carrara 8.5 Beta you will need to use the serial code listed here: CDZCPRO-085-0024576-KQV-001-EBTQKVE Expires 1 September 2013

Untitled.jpg
    665 x 518 - 159K
    edited December 1969

Import Question:

Space Relic Ps (19 MB)

??

If the files are DUF those work better than other content file types (Of course other than .CAR/.CBR files :) ). If the DS version is .daz and/or .DS/.DSA/.DSB/.DSE then use the Poser version.

Yup, so if I get this right.
    Take naitve first as CAR or CBR

then take DUF before PS or .daz and/or .DS/.DSA/.DSB/.DSE

than take PS before .daz and/or .DS/.DSA/.DSB/.DSE

more-or-less... :^)

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Maybe that’s why about $100 of content is bundled with the offer.

Can I buy less-priced update without content I don't need but is being charged for?

That would be Carrara 8.5, alpha. Go for it ;)

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

Oops, the price of Carrara Pro 8.5 in my cart just leapt to the full $285.

Clearly, I should have bought it earlier when it was a mere $171. :)

I suspect that this means that the DAZ team are busy tinkering with the algorithms, and we should see the upgrade being correctly priced for more people as soon as they're done.

At least, I hope that's what it means. Maybe they just got cranky about all the complaints in this thread and decided "Screw you, you're all gonna pay full price." :)

edited December 1969

Import Question:

Space Relic Ps (19 MB)

??

Yup, so if I get this right.
    Take naitve first as CAR or CBR

then take DUF before PS or .daz and/or .DS/.DSA/.DSB/.DSE

than take PS before .daz and/or .DS/.DSA/.DSB/.DSE

more-or-less... :^)Carrara won't read .daz or .ds/.dsb/.dsa/.dse so the last one isn't much of a choice. LOL.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Good to see Carrara 8.5 has finally hit the street.
    It's nice that Pro comes with 2 Pro Bundles because even at $85, the price is a little steep for an upgrade.

I hope it's stable and supports the aniBlock importer and Mimic.

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    It's nice that Pro comes with 2 Pro Bundles because even at $85, the price is a little steep for an upgrade.

I am also interested to know if Mimic Pro is supported in 8.5 Pro?

edited December 1969

@ DAZ_Spooky:
    Right now the price is getting up to 285$ even with a PC-discount ... hope some DAZzer is working on that problem...

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

My files open faster...so far. I'm OK with everything so far and happy.

Am sorry so many of you are having trouble, especially as some of you are people who have helped with your posts and renders!

I just noticed an email that came. Here's a screenshot. See the red arrow at the bottom where it says that previous version has to be in your DAZ acct.

:( Silene

C8.5-P_.png
    583 x 732 - 648K
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

I updated my cart and the price jumped from 85.50 to 142.50..I do own C8 Pro...waiting for them to work out the bugs and serial # to purchase for 85.50. My question too....will owners of previously purchased V5 and M5 Pro bundles receive any type of discount or coupon for future purchase? Bundling already owned content with an upgrade isn't much incentive in my opinion.

edited December 1969

tsarist said:

I am also interested to know if Mimic Pro is supported in 8.5 Pro?It does support both, though there is a version of Mimic Pro for Carrara specifically for Carrara 8.5. (It is available both through Product Library and Install Manager.)

edited December 1969

tezen said:
    @ DAZ_Spooky:
    Right now the price is getting up to 285$ even with a PC-discount ... hope some DAZzer is working on that problem...
    Thanks. The team is aware and working on it.
    edited December 1969

Turk_WLF said:
    I have 2 questions and a few comments about Carrara 8.5 Pro…

1) How well is Carrara 8.5 Pro with loading and using Pre Version 8 Carrara file(s), I have an older file that I know that works in Carrara 8 Pro (Built 8.1.0.153) & saved, I tried using Carrara 8.5 Beta it didn’t work & I’ve tried reporting it but I felt like I was getting stonewall (by the Bug list team) last year.

2) I have both Carrara 8 Pro & Carrara 8.5 Pro until I get used to Carrara 8.5 Pro on the same hard Drive?

1. Should work correctly with this build of Carrara 8.5. Lots of things have changed in the past year with 8.5. :)
    2. Carrara is capable of having multiple installs of the same build on the same computer, just not in the same folder.
  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Sounds like Daz is having a busy morning! At what point in the sales flow should I expect to see the correct price (including the previous owner discount)? Should I see it before entering my payment info? I don't want to go too far into checkout with the wrong price showing up...

• Tiger66Tiger66 Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

Well the math works out to 109.50 for me if I get a 3 month PC membership. Only the Cart says $285. I have 8.1 Pro so should qualify for the the 50% but don't see it.
    Into day 6 of that 2 week window.
    It really is simple DAZ, I upgrade at $109.50, I don't at $285. I have to see the price in my cart before I take the plunge though. I have limited interested in the PC membership besides to reduce my Carrara upgrade price. So before I spend the $ on the 3 month PC membership I need to see my 50% discount to $142.50 because I have C8.1 Pro.

Can't help it - do I get a super discount on C9 if I buy C8.5??

Post edited by Tiger66 on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:

IIRC I paid about $58 (which may have included my monthly voucher) to upgrade to C8 Pro from C7 Pro.....
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

KJA79A said:
    Are the ONLY differences between the Carrara Standard & Pro versions the included M5 and V5 bundles, or is there core functionality differences between the two as well?

The original post only mentions the difference of the included M5/V5 bundles and the Carrara product page currently gives a 404 error: http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-pro/

The bundles don't appear to be the only difference, I purchased the "non-PRO" version and noticed it only came in 32-bit flavors like previous "Standard" versions.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm not paying $85.00 for an upgrade with PC discount for a lousy 32 bit program. That's total bunk! 64 bit is simply a recompile of the 32 bit run by a script if I remember correctly. You can buy cheap software, dirt cheap, that offers both 32 and 64 bit. So using that as a selling point to pay another $100.00 is not selling me on this and quite frankly once you feel the power of a 64 bit program you really have a hard time going back to 32 bit, esp when it comes to graphics apps!

Thanks but no thanks DAZ!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    KJA79A said:
    Are the ONLY differences between the Carrara Standard & Pro versions the included M5 and V5 bundles, or is there core functionality differences between the two as well?

The original post only mentions the difference of the included M5/V5 bundles and the Carrara product page currently gives a 404 error: http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-pro/

The bundles don't appear to be the only difference, I purchased the "non-PRO" version and noticed it only came in 32-bit flavors like previous "Standard" versions.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm not paying $85.00 for an upgrade with PC discount for a lousy 32 bit program. That's total bunk! 64 bit is simply a recompile of the 32 bit run by a script if I remember correctly. You can buy cheap software, dirt cheap, that offers both 32 and 64 bit. So using that as a selling point to pay another $100.00 is not selling me on this and quite frankly once you feel the power of a 64 bit program you really have a hard time going back to 32 bit, esp when it comes to graphics apps!

Thanks but no thanks DAZ! $85 is the Pro upgrade price.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

Has now dropped from $285 to $171 for me. Maybe see $85 eventually?

edited December 1969

@ DAZ:
    ...the price changed back to 171$ . Still waiting...
    Btw: Today PhotoScan1.0 has been anounced - http://www.agisoft.ru ... SELL IT D.A.Z. !

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    tsarist said:

IIRC I paid about $58 (which may have included my monthly voucher) to upgrade to C8 Pro from C7 Pro.....

that's a bit more easy to swallow than this.....

edited December 1969

If a couple of you that should be seeing $85 but are seeing $171, could please drop us a support ticket, with the order number for Carrara that you have in your account maybe we can track it down. (Though suggesting this is likely to make me unpopular.)

Where is my Kevlar? LOL!