Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited August 2013

Carrara 8 Pro user here, not getting the $86 update price (even on checkout).

Most probably not buying at all - the changes aren't big enough to justify the update price that big - it is almost what I paid for C7 to C8Pro update, PC and update discounts and all. For .5 update it is unfair price.
    Why Bullet physics are presented as a new feature? Weren't they in C8Pro already? And weren't TriAx support promised for C8Pro as well?

Post edited by Kattey on
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Did they removed things like the After Effects Plugin, the shader samples, the brush samples, Howie's Snow Scene and all the other content that was in 8?

That stuff is on of the things that made C8 very attractive.

You still can't manually download any Native Content and the Product Library seems to indicate that the Native Content is just M5 & V5 shaders.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

keryna said:
    Plus we're getting V5 and M5 PRO bundles which contains alot (even if like me you bought much of this stuff already for studio)

For some of us, it's a case of "even if like me you bought all of this stuff already".

If DAZ was feeling especially generous, they might offer an extra kickback for those of us who already bought both V5 Pro and M5 Pro.

Just putting that out there ...

I will be buying the upgrade anyway once DAZ gets the pricing sorted out, because Carrara is pretty much my preferred tool, and from what I've seen the 8.5 version represents a significant step in the right direction. But it's not quite as compelling a purchase as it might be if DAZ took into account more of our past purchasing history.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

I'm seeing this.

carrarapricing.jpg
    611 x 495 - 105K
  • vulcanisvulcanis Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

For s#it$ & giggles I decided to see what I'd be paying. I own 5, 6 Pro, 7 Pro & 8 Pro (I paid $98 for the upgrade from 7 Pro to 8 Pro). I am also a PC member. I am expected to pay $171...that is funny. Especially considering they expect me to pay almost double for a .5 update than I paid for a full on update. I even took the checkout process as far as I could without actually incurring a charge...just in case the price reduction happened at a later point in the cart process.

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I am seeing this

Carrara.png
    619 x 490 - 311K
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

vulcanis said:
    For s#it$ & giggles I decided to see what I'd be paying. I own 5, 6 Pro, 7 Pro & 8 Pro (I paid $98 for the upgrade from 7 Pro to 8 Pro). I am also a PC member. I am expected to pay $171...that is funny.

Yes. It seems that the "half off for current owners" is not working for some users. Someone here suggested that it isn't correctly recognizing people who have upgraded from earlier versions as "current owners", which is why the 50% discount isn't being applied. That fits with what I've seen.

At some point, DAZ will presumably fix this, and then we'll all qualify for the still rather hefty $85 upgrade price, rather than the entirely outrageous $171.

• drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

Bah. I bought 8.1 Pro just a *little* over a month ago in mid-July and to my surprise, this is a paid upgrade of close to $200.

Come on now, this is ridiculous.

• PiratesMoonPiratesMoon Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Jared,

I can't seem to find a serial number for 8.5 Pro on my account. Yikes! I own 8 Pro.

R

• RendernowRendernow Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

So you have to laugh a little ----given the wait and the longest beta in the history of beta's ---- You might think DAZ would have better planned this release as far as the price , discounts etc. It seems like this is just another piece of content hitting the store. No big deal. No need to actually use some test accounts to see if the discounts actually work before you open the doors for business. No real advance hoopla. Maybe they were afraid.(Smiles).

For a company built on selling content -----you have to wonder sometimes.

Sadly to start your release like this is pretty dreadful to see and read. But.......in like DAZ style they will fix it . make everyone whole and move on. Maybe that's part of the issue they are so used to fixing things after they mess up it becomes a routine of business.

• edited December 1969

DAZ sucks as usual .. after using a buggy 8.1 and then forced to 8.5 beta for sooooo long time have to buy a purchase a upgrade for $171 ehhh.... This is real disappointment every software DAZ ever produced feels like B E T A..

I guess DAZ doesn't care but I never ever buy another thing here anymore...

A symbolic $50 upgrade no problem, but this is insanity ...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

It's former "upgrade" buyers that don't get the 50% price - at the moment. I think when Dazland wakes up they will do something about it (it is 06:59 now).

Carrara 8.5 will be 74.98 then ... I think I will pass ... I prefer my 64bit softwares ...

• edited December 1969

I don't know what you all are complaining about. Back when Eovia owned carrara, before they sold it to Daz, their upgrade prices ranged from $99.00 to $150.00 back when I started out from version 3 all the way up to version 6. I have to say I'm just a bit disappointed in how long it has taken for Daz to get 1/2 an upgrade version just for one version alone.

I remember back when Eovia owned Carrara there were a lot of changes going on that made it worth while for people wanting to upgrade such as when they acquired poser model import capability using transposer software to achieve that. That was a huge step forward for eovia back then. Also the integration of being able to render background sound and voice overs within carrara and not having to time and sync it up in post editing video software.

Anyhow, I'm a little confused about the ad that says Carrara 8.5 is finally here. There's no mention of Carrara 8.5 pro but only 8.0 pro in the detailed descriptions. Does this mean I was testing 8.5 for nothing when I already own 8.0 pro? Is there an 8.5 pro upgrade?

My second question is, is the discounted price $85.00 for those who already own carrara 8.0 pro? Or do they have to join platinum before they'll get that upgrade price "if there's an 8.5 pro upgrade"?

If there is an 8.5 pro upgrade and the price is NOT $85.00 for 8.0 pro owners WITHOUT having to JOIN PLATINUM and it would cost more like 1/2% of $285.00, then I don't see that as a great deal for a version release that hasn't made many changes from the 8.0 pro release.

Eovia used to offer $99.00 upgrade prices for full version releases that offered upgrades that made it worth upgrading. I really don't see a whole huge difference between 8.0 pro and 8.5 pro. The only thing that looks different is how they changed the wording a bit in their descriptions just to make it appear they have made some changes.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Anyhow, I'm a little confused about the ad that says Carrara 8.5 is finally here. There's no mention of Carrara 8.5 pro but only 8.0 pro in the detailed descriptions. Does this mean I was testing 8.5 for nothing when I already own 8.0 pro? Is there an 8.5 pro upgrade?

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/carrara-8-5-pro

• Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No- there are a lot of improvements in 8.5 but mostly around content import and use. If that is important to you now or in the future you might find this a very nice boost. There are few nice items added to the animation side of things as well and a few other small short-cuts etc. Its not such a big improvement as we have seen in the past but ----gee at least its out the door.

Everyone will have to make their own decision to upgrade or not. Its always that way. Some will some will not.

I think it will help sales of new users as the content included is a nice addition especially if you do not own it.

Let's hope they iron out the whole upgrade discount issue and get on with actually using whatever version of Carrara you have and having some fun.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited August 2013

8.5 - 1 - render time 32 min

8.5_1_.jpg
    800 x 650 - 483K
    Post edited by bigh on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Does this product come with a manual?

• mrgraphixmrgraphix Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

nice render! Where you get the serial number though?
    I never got mine after buying even left a ticket.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Carrara Team: Kudos for all efforts and the awesome job in meeting the 8.5 release date! You have made the Carrara 8.5 upgrade a great value with the M5/V5 Pro bundling.

Happy Happy, Joy Joy

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

anikad said:

No new updated version...still manual version Carrara 7, Revision G 11 December 2008

Same here, but you can use the trial mode for 30 days (option when starting it).

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

jerham said:
    anikad said:

No new updated version...still manual version Carrara 7, Revision G 11 December 2008

Same here, but you can use the trial mode for 30 days (option when starting it).

I used DIM to download C-8.5 Pro to my chosen location. I didn't need the serial number. But it's on the start up screen. I had to copy it from a screen grab as it only stays for a few seconds...couldn't hightlight it. For RenderNode you need to manually put it in, so it needs to be provided.

Fingers crossed...moved my presets over from Beta and will try and work with my file now. Am afraid to unstall Beta or even 8.1 until I am happy all is working.

Silene

• edited December 1969

Is the 8.5 release version stable ??

I am so f****ing frustrated now .. have been waiting for a "working" version 8 so long now and its just feel like DAZ just pissing
    on there loyal customers who still believe in Carrera and not changed to a different software :(

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

I don't know what you all are complaining about. Back when Eovia owned carrara, before they sold it to Daz, their upgrade prices ranged from $99.00 to $150.00 back when I started out from version 3 all the way up to version 6. I have to say I'm just a bit disappointed in how long it has taken for Daz to get 1/2 an upgrade version just for one version alone.

I remember back when Eovia owned Carrara there were a lot of changes going on that made it worth while for people wanting to upgrade such as when they acquired poser model import capability using transposer software to achieve that. That was a huge step forward for eovia back then. Also the integration of being able to render background sound and voice overs within carrara and not having to time and sync it up in post editing video software.

My second question is, is the discounted price $85.00 for those who already own carrara 8.0 pro? Or do they have to join platinum before they'll get that upgrade price "if there's an 8.5 pro upgrade"?

If there is an 8.5 pro upgrade and the price is NOT $85.00 for 8.0 pro owners WITHOUT having to JOIN PLATINUM and it would cost more like 1/2% of $285.00, then I don't see that as a great deal for a version release that hasn't made many changes from the 8.0 pro release.

Eovia used to offer $99.00 upgrade prices for full version releases that offered upgrades that made it worth upgrading. I really don't see a whole huge difference between 8.0 pro and 8.5 pro. The only thing that looks different is how they changed the wording a bit in their descriptions just to make it appear they have made some changes.

"...their upgrade prices ranged from $99.00 to $150.00..." And now a HALF-UPGRADE costs $549.95 (or, with discount, for owning 8 pro, $171, which is still more than your quoted price from Eovia for FULL UPGRADE...or multiple discounts if you are a paying member- $85, which is STILL a lot for stability and a partial upgrade and long beta testing period. And 8 had a lot of issues that people wanted fixes and promises fulfilled for. And people beta tested 8.5 for a loooooooooong time, to get working features, a bit more stability, and hopefully, some kind of "gee thanks for being lab rats for so long."

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Is the 8.5 release version stable ??

I am so f****ing frustrated now .. have been waiting for a "working" version 8 so long now and its just feel like DAZ just pissing
    on there loyal customers who still believe in Carrera and not changed to a different software :(

it is for me - Windows 7

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

"...their upgrade prices ranged from $99.00 to $150.00..." And now a HALF-UPGRADE costs $549.95 (or, with discount, for owning 8 pro, $171, which is still more than your quoted price from Eovia for FULL UPGRADE...or multiple discounts if you are a paying member- $85, which is STILL a lot for stability and a partial upgrade and long beta testing period. And 8 had a lot of issues that people wanted fixes and promises fulfilled for. And people beta tested 8.5 for a loooooooooong time, to get working features, a bit more stability, and hopefully, some kind of "gee thanks for being lab rats for so long."

Maybe that's why about $100 of content is bundled with the offer. With PC prior owners pay $85 for the U/G and get more than that in additional value in return . Many vendors charge HUNDREDS for a half step upgrade. Are you a Creative Suite user, the the upgrade patth from CS 5 to 5.5 was only 18 months and over $700 to stay current. Not only did they just fix stuff, no photoshop features got added and they also effectively killed off Flash (dead end product) Now that upgrade stung!

Darn - I would say that DAZ went to extreme lengths to sweeten the medicine. I just _hope_ Carrara is not GIVEN AWAY next quarter.

• Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
    edited December 1969

I have 2 questions and a few comments about Carrara 8.5 Pro…

1) How well is Carrara 8.5 Pro with loading and using Pre Version 8 Carrara file(s), I have an older file that I know that works in Carrara 8 Pro (Built 8.1.0.153) & saved, I tried using Carrara 8.5 Beta it didn’t work & I’ve tried reporting it but I felt like I was getting stonewall (by the Bug list team) last year.

2) I have both Carrara 8 Pro & Carrara 8.5 Pro until I get used to Carrara 8.5 Pro on the same hard Drive?

3) I really hope that the $285.00 is a misprint for the upgrade price since I already have Carrara 8.1 Pro.

4) I already have both V5 & M5 Pro Bundles I wished Daz at least offer some such of a discount on V6 or another Pro bundle, for us who already have both bundles.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Maybe that’s why about $100 of content is bundled with the offer.

Can I buy less-priced update without content I don't need but is being charged for?
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 1969

well at almost $200 I hope I get a serial soon

• IllusionArt 3DIllusionArt 3D Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello people,
    I'm sitting here in Europe and for me it is now now 04:40 PM.
    This morning I bought Carrara8.5Pro, but unfortunately there was no serial number on this in my account.
    Usually I can really wait, but in this case unfortunately.
    Than in DAZ Studio was midnight and people have done what they do just as I was here in Europe already up and I wait now for about 9hrs now already on my damn serial number.
    Imagine you even before you buy a new car, and the seller says, "Hey I'm sorry, the gasoline will be available tomorrow at the gas station."
    Of course, no one bothers about it ... or?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

The Serial number situation has been resolved for new purchases. We are in the process of adding Serial numbers to accounts that didn't have them.

While you wait, you can use the Beta Serial Number: CDZCPRO-085-0024576-KQV-001-EBTQKVE (Expires 1 September 2013)

Sorry about the disconnect on our end.