Is there an accurate method of putting a Genesis 8 figure into a T-pose for Unity?

Hi,

I'm using Daz Studio Genesis 8 characters for a Unity project in order to create immersive scenes that the participant can interact with.  I've got a fairly decent workflow going to work with the characters, using special shaders for double-sided materials and hair, and everything's looking fantastic!

However, I'm having issues when it comes to animating the characters, as Unity Mecanim isn't putting the characters into an exact T-pose when I use the humanoid rig.  Instead, it looks like the legs a spread apart a little, and the toes point outwards.  This has a knock-on effect when it comes to using animations from the Unity asset store, as the rotations of these joints are effectively offset.  I can correct the pose manually to make it look better, but it's still not quite right.

So my question is, is there anywhere that I can get a pose preset that sets the character to Unity's required T-pose? If not, then is there any information available as to how much I need to rotate each joint to get it to this correct pose when I'm configuring the avatar within Unity?

Thanks!

Lee.

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2018

Select Left shoulder: Bend, 45.61

Select Right shoulder: Bend, -45.61

Select Left Thigh: Side-side, -6

Select Right Thigh: Side-side, 6

Edit,

then save it as a pose preset.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • noprornopror Posts: 20

nicstt

You're great, man

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited November 2018

I think that should be 45 degrees.  One half of a T-pose is logically 45, but some people tend to over-correct it because some Genesis 8 bones are slightly shorter, so the two figures fingernails don't overlap perfectly.  They should at least be pointing in the same direction though, straight out at 90 degrees.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • Thanks for this tip!

• Thanks everyone who posted here, this helped me a lot!

I'm just going to add this, I carefully checked the G8F model I was using against another T-pose the same height form a G3F, and the arm angles came out like this to match the two models I was using:

Select Left shoulder: Bend, 44.8

Select Right shoulder: Bend, -44.8

I'm not sure if maybe some of the models are different, or maybe the shoulder heights affect this?  if in doubt, I suppose the 45 degree answer makes the most logical sense.

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

I remember there being an Unity Add-on which inegrated Daz's character creation ability within the Unity engine, all Genesis figures included. I think it was called Morph3D initially but now the site routs to https://tafi.webflow.io/ 

I would love to know more about the technical and logistic side of things. Daz does seem like the ideal way to create a character creation pipeline that is easy to use and and most importantly cheap. It bypasses the need to hire x-amount of artists to create one single character that is already avaiable in the store for a minuscule fraction of the cost. People in the gaming industry should jump at such an opportunity yet I only see a complete lack of interest. I don't know why.

• I would love to know more about the technical and logistic side of things. Daz does seem like the ideal way to create a character creation pipeline that is easy to use and and most importantly cheap. It bypasses the need to hire x-amount of artists to create one single character that is already avaiable in the store for a minuscule fraction of the cost. People in the gaming industry should jump at such an opportunity yet I only see a complete lack of interest. I don't know why.

It's too high in polycount to be used in game.
    The time spent creating a new model is also less time figure out problems with animation. ;)

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

I would love to know more about the technical and logistic side of things. Daz does seem like the ideal way to create a character creation pipeline that is easy to use and and most importantly cheap. It bypasses the need to hire x-amount of artists to create one single character that is already avaiable in the store for a minuscule fraction of the cost. People in the gaming industry should jump at such an opportunity yet I only see a complete lack of interest. I don't know why.

The time spent creating a new model is also less time figure out problems with animation. ;)

Polycount was an issue with Genesis 2. Genesis 3 and above have a lower polycount that most games now. Animation shouldn't be an issue.IK/FK can be switched even within Daz. The animation is mostly done outside game engines and most of it is motion capture anyways.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762

I remember there being an Unity Add-on which inegrated Daz's character creation ability within the Unity engine, all Genesis figures included. I think it was called Morph3D initially but now the site routs to https://tafi.webflow.io/ 

No mystery.. Look at the marketing emails you receive from Daz. Not exactly targeted to SERIOUS game developers IMHO.
  • Really? What kind of gME IS THAT?

Polycount was an issue with Genesis 2. Genesis 3 and above have a lower polycount that most games now. Animation shouldn't be an issue.IK/FK can be switched even within Daz. The animation is mostly done outside game engines and mReally)

wolf359 said:

No mystery.. Look at the marketing emails you receive from Daz. Not exactly targeted to SERIOUS game developers IMHO.

Polycount was an issue with Genesis 2. Genesis 3 and above have a lower polycount that most games now. Animation shouldn't be an issue.IK/FK can be switched even within Daz. The animation is mostly done outside game engines and most of it is motion capture anyways.

Really? Where have you been last 10 years?

• jeronimocollaresjeronimocollares Posts: 131
    edited July 2020
    nicstt said:

Select Left shoulder: Bend, 45.61

Select Right shoulder: Bend, -45.61

Edit,

then save it as a pose preset.

ty :)

Post edited by jeronimocollares on