Terrain Editor and Heightmap Generators for Bryce

Comments

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Rasberri said:

@Slepalex - I love the terrain you made with the stairs.  I made several tries and was unable to get the brushes to work last night.  Not sure why the terrain editor is freezing up on me.  I may have to reload my iMac and use it exclusively for Bryce--keep it as my retro "way back machine".  It seems with every new update on the Windows 10 platform there are more issues.  Bryce crashes a lot on me which is one reason I was looking for an alternateive.  Also, thanks for the link to TerraBrush.  I can't wait to try this out.  I played a little with WC1 which is much like GeoControl.  I could never find a set of tutorials or an official user guide for WC1 or GeoControl.

Throw in the trash Win 10 and go to Win 7.
    With each new version of Windows, there are more and more problems. She eats more memory and disk space. Each new version requires new hardware. Until recently, I resisted and worked on Win XP SP2 32 bits. But some programs have stopped supporting this OS (Wings 3D, Google Chrome, etc.)

• launoklaunok Posts: 774

Slepalex, I am not following the TE quite well ... I completely forgot how it work.  If I press 'raise/lower' under the evaluation menu, the image disappears in terrain canvas and 3d preview turns black  How do I Iower the very thick model as seen in the 3d preview?

TE.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 147K
  • RasberriRasberri Posts: 265
    edited October 2018
    Slepalex said:
    Rasberri said:

@Slepalex - I love the terrain you made with the stairs.  I made several tries and was unable to get the brushes to work last night.  Not sure why the terrain editor is freezing up on me.  I may have to reload my iMac and use it exclusively for Bryce--keep it as my retro "way back machine".  It seems with every new update on the Windows 10 platform there are more issues.  Bryce crashes a lot on me which is one reason I was looking for an alternateive.  Also, thanks for the link to TerraBrush.  I can't wait to try this out.  I played a little with WC1 which is much like GeoControl.  I could never find a set of tutorials or an official user guide for WC1 or GeoControl.

Throw in the trash Win 10 and go to Win 7.
    With each new version of Windows, there are more and more problems. She eats more memory and disk space. Each new version requires new hardware. Until recently, I resisted and worked on Win XP SP2 32 bits. But some programs have stopped supporting this OS (Wings 3D, Google Chrome, etc.)

ARRG..criminy. I just built my computer in summer of 2016.. yup.. its time to build a dedicated retro beast .-redo my MAC and a dedicated retro windows machine--and leave them offline .. yes, I agree.. I have a copy of Win 7 pro..so I can go back to that...I think they stopped support for Windows 7 as they made us upgrade at work. 

.I made the fatal mistake of upgrading my iMac after I built my windows machine... to El Capitan (it came with OS X 10.5 Leopard) and ran Bryce perfectly..so the new versions of Mac OS will not run Bryce or programs similar. .Leopard was the last release to have support for PowerPC type programs.. found that out after I upgraded... I hear Apple is ceasing support for older OS as well..  .

Post edited by Rasberri on
    launok said:

Slepalex, I am not following the TE quite well ... I completely forgot how it work.  If I press 'raise/lower' under the evaluation menu, the image disappears in terrain canvas and 3d preview turns black  How do I Iower the very thick model as seen in the 3d preview?

Go back to the main window and make the terrain thickness of 0.001 or as you need. Then assign the same texture to this terrain.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Laura: I'll try to upload these two pics so you should be able to have a go with them yourself. I drew the roads as greyscale for the TE and then also did a colour version to use as the diffuse channel... It only took about 20 minutes... So isn't perfect, but it shows what can be done. smiley

Made idealy for  2048 resolution terrain.

Edit: The 16bit tiff couldn't be accepted by the Forum so I've substituted it for the .png

Roads.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 407K
    GreyGrid2.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 743K
    GreyGrid.png
    2048 x 2048 - 75K
    edited October 2018

Eugenius Maximus, could you rename this thread, for example, in the Terrain Editor and the height map generators for Bryce?
    This title is most relevant to this topic.
    If you can not, then you need to contact the administrator.

Post edited by Slepalex on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited October 2018

Slepalex - good examples of mixing a stepped terrain with normal one. By the way, I have TerraBrush for years but never ever used. Thanks for the reminder ...

Dave - also good examples, the steps look great.

I also experimented a bit. First pixelisation, then Posterisation then Subcontours. Do you know that you can pixelize with posterize if you hold down the Alt (or Cmd on the Mac I think) key? Subcontours create the dark lines. The grey terrain is the one at left, the right shows the three darker ones and what I made from it.

Pixel/Poster/Contour

PixPosSubFin.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 215K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 774

Dave Savage - Thank you for your time to create those road terrains.  This is much appreciated.  Will try it out.  smiley

edited October 2018

Horo, great job! Thanks for Alt + posterize. I just never did it.

city3.jpg
    960 x 540 - 415K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

If I press 'raise/lower' under the evaluation menu, the image disappears in terrain canvas and 3d preview turns black  How do I Iower the very thick model as seen in the 3d preview?

launok

Press and hold the button down while moving the mouse left and right. That should do it gradually.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited October 2018

Great, Horo...so simple (no offence)...would stacking (double/triple) be possible/applicable also here to like you done in terrains? If so, different sky-scrape mat-stacks would be interesting, thus, producing a more varied sky-scape scene.

Nice, Slepalex...I suppose adjustments in the DTE would be a play-around-experience.

Jay

PS. sorry to all for my ignorence: I have played around with the DTE once, but abandoned it simply that it just took too long-a-time to ignore (life is short etc., and please don't see this as criticism to you experimentors out there, it's just that other areas of work took precedance).

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited October 2018

Thank you for the Posterize + Alt trick.  I've been playing with posterize all night in Bryce.  This is a really cool tool. The first 2 are posterize then using the Alt key.  Others are just random terrains working with the posterize tool

PosturizeExperiment1.jpg
    1754 x 834 - 367K
    PosturizeExperimentAlt.png
    1754 x 834 - 3M
    Posturized3.png
    1754 x 834 - 3M
    Posturized3-2.png
    1754 x 834 - 3M
    Chisled Beach.png
    512 x 512 - 312K
  • Slepalex said:

Slepalex Wrote: 

Eugenius Maximus, could you rename this thread, for example, in the Terrain Editor and the height map generators for Bryce?
    This title is most relevant to this topic.
    If you can not, then you need to contact the administrator.

I agree. I was able to change this thread :-)

• Slepalex - Thanks for the Terrabrush; I've been trying so many terrain and height maps generators lately that my head has been spinning, so it might be a while until I try it.  Nice cityscape.
    StuartB - Thanks for TerraBrush's direct link and helping with the Language settings. 
    Rasberri - Nice posterized terrains; well done.
    Horo - Very Cool! I had no idea that you could use the Alt Key in the Posterize. Thanks for the tip.

• Eugenius MaximusEugenius Maximus Posts: 157
    edited October 2018

This terrain was originally a 12 Tile Lava landscape I had created last night. Thanks to Horo's Pixelization, Posterisation, and Subcontours process, it was converted to a more interesting landscape. Black Onyx texture was added.

Lava Pixelated Terrain.png
    1114 x 819 - 509K
    Lava Pixelated Terrain 2.png
    1114 x 819 - 610K
    Post edited by Eugenius Maximus on

Slepalex - thank you. Bryce is full of surprises.

Jamahoney - yes, simple. Stacking needs to be experimented with, it did cross my mind.

Rasberri - nice experiments. I found that using pixelisation before posterisation gives the better result in many cases.

Eugenius - the first terrain is very nice and the second has added details. Cool renders, both.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

Nice terrain experiments from everyone.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited October 2018

Here's another use for posterisation. It need refining but I can see good use for it. Ever so subtle and could do with being moreso, but the shallowest water here has lots of detailed ripples by creating a terrain, posterising it, smoothing it and then flattening it to almost nothing... Also using the red bracket, make the bottom layer invisible to make the edge unstraigt and it can just be placed on a flat plain to get a good effect of uneven water edge.

WaveRipples.jpg
    975 x 975 - 588K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

Wow, really nice beach.

Wow!, love the beach scene!  That would make a great print to hang on the wall!

Dave - that came out very well - and the sky fits as well.

• Dave Savage - That came out really good; not easy to do I'm sure. 

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited October 2018

Slepalex: very nice city render. And fun spiral!

Rasberri: Good looking experiments.

Eugenius: Very nice renders.

Dave: This is a great idea. Looks quite nice to me.

I show most my 'normal-like' terrains made with World Machine in the 'Show us your renders' thread. But this one is a strange mixture of a WM world, heavily modified in the ET. I used posterize, including 'Alt', some filter and some other options, including mounds. Out came this strange world. I would not be able to repeat it, because it was just playing, without noting down, what I actually did. The texture is a much higher frequency version of a texture by Jonathan Cummings.

parched1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Here's another use for posterisation. It need refining but I can see good use for it. Ever so subtle and could do with being moreso, but the shallowest water here has lots of detailed ripples by creating a terrain, posterising it, smoothing it and then flattening it to almost nothing... Also using the red bracket, make the bottom layer invisible to make the edge unstraigt and it can just be placed on a flat plain to get a good effect of uneven water edge.

Dave, very good. Light, atmosphere, textures and materials. I made observations on the size of the waves in the next thread.
    But here it is necessary to increase the resolution of the terrain of the foreground to smooth out these black triangles.

Hansmar said:

I show most my 'normal-like' terrains made with World Machine in the 'Show us your renders' thread. But this one is a strange mixture of a WM world, heavily modified in the ET. I used posterize, including 'Alt', some filter and some other options, including mounds. Out came this strange world. I would not be able to repeat it, because it was just playing, without noting down, what I actually did. The texture is a much higher frequency version of a texture by Jonathan Cummings.

I also experimented all day yesterday in the Terrain Editor, but I can't offer anything worthwhile yet. :-)

edited October 2018

Hansmar - interesting terrain.

I also experimented with the TE today. Mixing two terrains is usually done in the Pictures tab. There is a different means with different results. Pull down the bracket to cover the part of your terrain you want to keep and create a new one, then open the bracket. The new terrain fills the space that was not yellow. It is a bit tricky. The first terrain is already in the left slot under Pictures. Copy it and paste it in the middle slot. If you mess up with the bracket and the second terrain, you can go to the Pictures tab, copy the second and paste it into the first and apply. Then you have the first back and can start anew.
    I first used Warped Ridges and added a bit of Posterize. Then I covered most of it with the bracket from top and created a Pocket terrain. The result is shown below and a test render. Note that this is a single terrain.

Terrain

Render

TerrTest0.jpg
    800 x 350 - 55K
    TerrTest1.jpg
    800 x 520 - 75K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Eugenius MaximusEugenius Maximus Posts: 157
    edited October 2018

Hansmar - I know what you mean but your terrain does look really good. The flat plateau looks like an old fort or ancient alien landing zone. Keep up the good work.

Slepalex - I'm in the same boat :-)

Post edited by Eugenius Maximus on
    edited October 2018

Horo, I didn’t quite understand your intricate manipulations with brackets, but here’s what I did without brackets.
    I just created the Warped Ridges terrain, posterized it, copied it and pasted it in the 2nd slot on the Pictures tab. Then I again created a random Warped Ridges terrain, clicked on Apple and with a soft brush Unpaint Effect partially deleted the second terrain above the high (light) parts of the first posterized height map. That's what happened.

Warped Ridges.jpg
    800 x 600 - 304K
    edited October 2018

Here is another terrain creation.  This software is available on Steam: Qubicle Voxel Editor.  Of course the alt key trick is a game changer in the Bryce terrain editor-a lot quicker; however, I am having some fun with this and  I wanted to share.  I imported this from the voxel editor as an .obj file.. this isn't finished.. more like just playing around.. If I could get the coloring right, would look interesting as a voxelized piece of ice with the right lighting shining through it.  I attached a pic of Qubicle.  Eventually I want to create some type of syfi world with it.

Slepalex, Horo: Beautiful terrains!

VoxelTerrains.jpg
    1754 x 834 - 1M
    Quibicle.jpg
    1729 x 924 - 391K
    edited October 2018

Slepalex - Just pull down the bracket. Everything that is not yellow will be filled with the new generated terrain. Then move the bracket up. Some manual corrections may be needed where the two terrains meet.
    Your method with unpainting is very clever. It can also be used with the above method to blend the terrains better.
    The methods give different results and both can be used to add more terrains ...

Rasberri - thank you, nice terrains from you.

TE

Bracket.jpg
    800 x 414 - 35K
    Post edited by Horo on