Terrain Editor and Heightmap Generators for Bryce

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124

Slepalex - The posterize option in the TE is not bad but is limited to the whole terrain height. Like if you do it in a graphics program and decrease the number of bits from 16 to 10 to 4 or so - or use a 8 bit height map. GeoControl/WorldCreator also has such an option (Filter > Shape Filters > Terraces sharp/smooth). Currently I know only one tool that has a posterize filter that can be set to a specific height range of the terrain and how fine or coarse those steps are and also can add several such terraced bands.

Dave - yes, in the pre-computer age we cut cardboard layers according to the isohypses of a map (in the UK you call them Ordnance Survey Maps) and then glued the layers one on top of the other to form a 3D landscape. I still have one around we had made with the children and then went for a walk in that region in the real world.

Hansmar - yeah, you need to be a bit of a madman to do this to yourself. But at the time it was the only means to get a real terrain. By the way, the resolution of a TerrainParty terrain is even less of the hand drawn one - I tried it once.

Rasberri - thank you. I hadn't the necessary spare money to buy Bryce 4 and used the free Terragen, which is actually a very nice program, too.

Eugenius - thank you. Good example. As Slepalex mentioned, GeoControl/WorldCreator can load externally made height maps and even though you cannot actually modify it or using Isolines, the filters all work. I haven't tried rivers and roads on an imported terrain, only on GC/WC generated terrains.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited October 2018
    Horo said:

Slepalex - The posterize option in the TE is not bad but is limited to the whole terrain height. Like if you do it in a graphics program and decrease the number of bits from 16 to 10 to 4 or so - or use a 8 bit height map. GeoControl/WorldCreator also has such an option (Filter > Shape Filters > Terraces sharp/smooth). Currently I know only one tool that has a posterize filter that can be set to a specific height range of the terrain and how fine or coarse those steps are and also can add several such terraced bands.

Horo, after all, we still know very little about the capabilities of Bryce. This is not about hidden opportunities, but about the obvious ones that lie in the most visible place.
    As soon as I read your words “The posterize option in the TE is not bad but is limited to the whole terrain height.” I immediately remembered what I was doing yesterday.
    This message of Dave Savage about the manipulation of erosion in TE led me to this thought.
    So here we go. Create a terrain and apply posterize. Turn on the Unpaint Effect mode and use a soft brush to erase posterization in some places. Below it, the original terrain is exposed. If we overdo it, we turn on the Paint Effect mode and in some places we restore posterization.
    Quite a bit of patience and your words about the impossibility of posterization in some areas turned out to be refuted.
    Glory to the Great BRYCE! 

осыпь.jpg
    800 x 600 - 232K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,001
    edited October 2018

Slepalex and Horo - very nice examples.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited October 2018

Here is a quick sketch with a combination of Eroded, Erode, Posterize, Unpaint Effect and Paint Effect.
    If you pass this terrain through the filters with noise by default in GeoControl2, then you can get quite decent terrain.

posterize.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 573K
  • RasberriRasberri Posts: 268
    edited October 2018
    Slepalex said:
    Rasberri said:

So I tried exporting some terrains made in World Creator 2 (granted I am using the RC 14 release as of September)  I also wanted to share some quick renders with World creator 2.  I am by no means an expert, I have plenty to learn.  The first 2 are made in WC2 and I exported the 2nd terrain into Bryce and did a quick render.  I exported as an 8bt Tiff and also as a png. 

I think it’s most efficient to save the heights map as file.PGM for Bryce. This is 16 bits in greyscale.

Going to have to check and see if WC2

Slepalex said:
    Horo said:

Horo, after all, we still know very little about the capabilities of Bryce. This is not about hidden opportunities, but about the obvious ones that lie in the most visible place.
    As soon as I read your words “The posterize option in the TE is not bad but is limited to the whole terrain height.” I immediately remembered what I was doing yesterday.
    This message of Dave Savage about the manipulation of erosion in TE led me to this thought.
    So here we go. Create a terrain and apply posterize. Turn on the Unpaint Effect mode and use a soft brush to erase posterization in some places. Below it, the original terrain is exposed. If we overdo it, we turn on the Paint Effect mode and in some places we restore posterization.
    Quite a bit of patience and your words about the impossibility of posterization in some areas turned out to be refuted.

OM Gosh.. I HAVE to try this.. the one I created is just too many hard terraces and this really adds realism.  This is why I love love love Bryce..(thorn in my side that there is no development on it..the GUI is still better than WC2).  This is the perfect Greek or Italian village terrain.  My dream is to try to create something like the attached (for inspiration)

FullSizeRender-124.jpg
    2048 x 1537 - 874K
    positano-in-naples-136724.jpg
    674 x 445 - 101K
    Post edited by Rasberri on
    edited October 2018

I have not figured out how to make the required number of terraces in GeoControl2 at the right height. Just slightly changed the parameters. But just in case, I saved the settings in file.GTS. If someone needs, I am ready to share.
    I used the hint Horo: Filter> Shape Filters> Terraces sharp

Chimgan2.jpg
    782 x 440 - 220K
    Rasberri said:
    Slepalex said:
    Rasberri said:

So I tried exporting some terrains made in World Creator 2 (granted I am using the RC 14 release as of September)  I also wanted to share some quick renders with World creator 2.  I am by no means an expert, I have plenty to learn.  The first 2 are made in WC2 and I exported the 2nd terrain into Bryce and did a quick render.  I exported as an 8bt Tiff and also as a png. 

I think it’s most efficient to save the heights map as file.PGM for Bryce. This is 16 bits in greyscale.

Going to have to check and see if WC2

Slepalex said:
    Horo said:

OM Gosh.. I HAVE to try this.. the one I created is just too many hard terraces and this really adds realism.  This is why I love love love Bryce..(thorn in my side that there is no development on it..the GUI is still better than WC2).  This is the perfect Greek or Italian village terrain.  My dream is to try to create something like the attached (for inspiration)

Rasberri, go ahead and you will succeed! The main thing - do not give up at first failures.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Fabulous developments Alex.... This is why I'm messing in the TE at the moment. I'm sure it does a lot more than we know about.... It's a matter of stretching it beyond it's intended limits.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

Continued research, Slepalax (Alex)... and Davecool

Jay

edited October 2018

For this one I made my terrain then tried to see if the red/yellow bracket would restrict the 'Posterise' effect like it does on Mounds etc... Anyway, it didn't, but in the same way Alex made his terraced terrain mixed with the regular one, only the other way around.

If you make a terrain and apply an effect to the level you want it then when it's applied itself to the terrain you "undo" (use the keyboard command to undo, I don't think the menu undo command works in the TE)... You can then use the paint effect to paint on instead of painting the undo... This is useful if the area you wish to apply the effect to is small. In this case, I simply painted a line of the effect at a suitable place in the terrain to make a staircase carved out of the terrain... Sadly the sharpness of the posterisation has confused the material in this render (though it could be water frozen as it cascaded down the steps)... If you "Smooth" the terrain after applying your brush effect, it solves that problem. I'm rendering a version that has been smoothed and a different material applied but it's late now and I need to sleep so will post that in the morning.

SnowSteps.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 507K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited October 2018

For this one I made my terrain then tried to see if the red/yellow bracket would restrict the 'Posterise' effect like it does on Mounds etc... Anyway, it didn't, but in the same way Alex made his terraced terrain mixed with the regular one, only the other way around.

If you make a terrain and apply an effect to the level you want it then when it's applied itself to the terrain you "undo" (use the keyboard command to undo, I don't think the menu undo command works in the TE)... You can then use the paint effect to paint on instead of painting the undo... This is useful if the area you wish to apply the effect to is small. In this case, I simply painted a line of the effect at a suitable place in the terrain to make a staircase carved out of the terrain... Sadly the sharpness of the posterisation has confused the material in this render (though it could be water frozen as it cascaded down the steps)... If you "Smooth" the terrain after applying your brush effect, it solves that problem. I'm rendering a version that has been smoothed and a different material applied but it's late now and I need to sleep so will post that in the morning.

Dave, try to blur the terrain a bit immediately after posterization, and then perform manipulations with (Un) Paint.

To compensate for the lack of cancellation, I simply duplicate a good variant.
    And then I continue to manipulate the original. You can always go back to the first version.

• I'm joining the conversation late, but I would like to add a quick note in regards to using Bryce's Posterize effect; a little goes a long way. I found that controlling the amount of the Posterize Effect first, then Undo (Ctrl Z) and then Paint Effect with a very soft or medium brush can create some nice terrains effects. Even if you prefer steeper terraces than the rendered picture, controlling the Posterize could be beneficial. 2048 Resolution (Rounded Dunes Posterized).

Posterized Rounded Dunes.png
    1114 x 819 - 835K
    edited October 2018

Alex: Yes, that's exactly what I did for this render and the problem is solved.

Eugenius: That looks cool.

Here's the one I smoothed, It doesn't need much, just a quick click.

RockSteps.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 727K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,001

Nice examples/experiments from Slepalex, Dave and Eugenius Maximus yes

Alex: Yes, that's exactly what I did for this render and the problem is solved.

Eugenius: That looks cool.

Here's the one I smoothed, It doesn't need much, just a quick click.

Bravo, Dave!
    I once made a stone staircase in an old park, but I drew it in a 2D editor.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Dave, Slepalex and Eugenius: you do wonders here! Very cool works. We can all learn from you.

• Dave Savage - Nice work! The smoothed stairs added realism as in anciently used stairs. 

Slepalex - Amazing work on GeoControl2.

Hansmar - Thanks. I'm learning from Dave and Slepalex as well :-)

edited October 2018

There is another old free height map generator. Called TerraBrush.
    It is still available http://www.cyberfunks.de/
    These are the height maps I created 10 years ago for modeling in Bryce using symmetric grids.
    Does not require installation. Just open the EXE file.

Буфер обмена01.jpg
    1215 x 824 - 259K
  • launoklaunok Posts: 782
    edited October 2018

Slepalex suggested I ask here too.

"On searching today I found a placemaker plugin (not free though) for Sketchup to create layouts for cities, etc.  Since Sketchup is not my preferred scene creator, I am wondering if there is a city/town/street generator to use in Bryce specifically.  There are so many street maps but not sure how to get it into Bryce - can 2D planes work of such? The terrain height map generator is more mountain related and do not pick up roads.  Or what is the easiest way to create street layouts in Bryce?

I have some street kits from ShareCG but was thinking of something more ready-made and not build streets by parts.

I want to create city/town scenes to which I can add all the buildings and houses I got via Sketchup warehouse or any other sites".

I am currently just want a simple flat terrain with various streets but am not feeling like drawing streets from scratch. 

I have downloaded World Machine basic (free).  So, do I have to import any street map into World Machine to get this flat terrains? frown

Post edited by launok on
    launok said:

"On searching today I found a placemaker plugin (not free though) for Sketchup to create layouts for cities, etc.  Since Sketchup is not my preferred scene creator, I am wondering if there is a city/town/street generator to use in Bryce specifically.  There are so many street maps but not sure how to get it into Bryce - can 2D planes work of such? The terrain height map generator is more mountain related and do not pick up roads.  Or what is the easiest way to create street layouts in Bryce?

I have some street kits from ShareCG but was thinking of something more ready-made and not build streets by parts.

I want to create city/town scenes to which I can add all the buildings and houses I got via Sketchup warehouse or any other sites".

I am currently just want a simple flat terrain with various streets but am not feeling like drawing streets from scratch. 

I have downloaded World Machine basic (free).  So, do I have to import any street map into World Machine to get this flat terrains? frown

It is unlikely that you will find such a map, but you can schematically create a city block both with the help of TerraBrush and Bryce TE.
    If I have time, I will show you how to do it.

Slepalex said:
    launok said:

It is unlikely that you will find such a map, but you can schematically create a city block both with the help of TerraBrush and Bryce TE.

I have just downloaded TerraBrush afer seeing your post about it.  Thank you, will await your help. smiley

This spiral and terrain are made in TerraBrush.

спираль.jpg
    800 x 600 - 449K
    terrain.jpg
    800 x 600 - 364K
    edited October 2018
    launok said:
    Slepalex said:
    launok said:

I have just downloaded TerraBrush afer seeing your post about it.  Thank you, will await your help. smiley

If you mean it, then this is done in 5 minutes in TE.

city.jpg
    800 x 480 - 178K
    edited October 2018

Slepalex, It looks great for buildings but not quite what had in mind.  I was just now searching more for street layout in Sketchup Warehouse and got this one and tested it out quickly in Bryce.  There was some buildings which I have removed in Bryce but this is what I was somehow needed.  In this instance I can just add buildings, houses, trees, plants, etc.  Even the sidewalks/pavements are already in the Sketchup model.  I can't believe I have missed this one earlier on searching and now I got something so quick!  It's a whole town! surprise

I will give TerraBrush also a try as it is creating nice images looking at yours.

bryce street layout.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 149K
    bryce street layout1.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 146K
    Post edited by launok on
    edited October 2018
    launok said:

Slepalex, It looks great for buildings but not quite what had in mind.  I was just now searching more for street layout in Sketchup Warehouse and got this one and tested it out quickly in Bryce.  There was some buildings which I have removed in Bryce but this is what I was somehow needed.  In this instance I can just add buildings, houses, trees, plants, etc.  Even the sidewalks/pavements are already in the Sketchup model.  I can't believe I have missed this one earlier on searching and now I got something so quick!  It's a whole town! surprise

I will give TerraBrush also a try as it is creating nice images looking at yours.

I thought you needed something like this.

Try dragging your texture from Sketchup to TE as a height map.

city2.jpg
    800 x 480 - 303K

Depending on how much time you have and what software you have anstalled, you can make you own in Illustrator, Photoshop or other drawing software.
    Google maps would be th eplace to start to identify the area you want to reproduce. Take a screen shot from directly above and then use that as a template to reproduce it (obviously you're only drawing the roads, pavements etc.)

When it looks how you want it. Save it and simply import it into Bryce onto  2D plane... Then add buildings, trees and whatever else you want.

Actually my experience with the TE is very little. I once made a logo with a bit of grunchy effect for a friend and tested this out in the TE but that was ages ago!  I had to quickly search online how to use the TE.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited October 2018

Thanks Alex for TerraBrush.

TerraBrush.Zip

If anyone else is interested in using it this might help.

Just run it, no install needed but it starts in German language.

Go to the Language settings to change it to English.

Untitled.jpg
    463 x 440 - 66K
    Post edited by StuartB on

If you only want a flat surface with a road/pavement grid on it, you don't need the TE... use a 2D plane and then draw the roads in another software. :)

• RasberriRasberri Posts: 268

@Slepalex - I love the terrain you made with the stairs.  I made several tries and was unable to get the brushes to work last night.  Not sure why the terrain editor is freezing up on me.  I may have to reload my iMac and use it exclusively for Bryce--keep it as my retro "way back machine".  It seems with every new update on the Windows 10 platform there are more issues.  Bryce crashes a lot on me which is one reason I was looking for an alternateive.  Also, thanks for the link to TerraBrush.  I can't wait to try this out.  I played a little with WC1 which is much like GeoControl.  I could never find a set of tutorials or an official user guide for WC1 or GeoControl.