Tutorial: Getting V4's brows onto Genesis via DS only

Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
edited July 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

We had this going on the old forums, but it utilized a lengthier process using Blender. This method uses only DS and requires no other software.

To get this to look best, you'll need the V4 Shape for Genesis.
http://www.daz3d.com/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis

1. Load in V4. Don't bother loading in any morphs when the power loader pops up. Have her as the only

object in the scene tab to make step 4 easier.

2. Right click her in the scene tab > expand > all from selection. Fig 2.

3. Find the Eyebrow bone and turn it on, then select it. Fig 3.

4. Right click > Select > Invert Selection. Fig 4.
(ctrl click the main Victoria 4.2 so the brows will still be visible after step 5)

5. Now go to Parameters > Display > set Visable to OFF. You should now have nothing visible except the brows. Fig 5.

6. File > Export > select Wavefront OBJ > give your file a name. Fig. 6 for parameters.

7. You can now delete V4, load Genesis, and apply the Victoria 4 morph.
(parameters > all > search "victoria 4" > dial to 100%)

8. File > Import > Select your OBJ you just exported and use Daz Studio as the 'From'.

9. Select your imported brows OBJ and open up the transfer utility. Fig 9 for parameters.
(nothing under Weight Maps > Extended nor Morph Targets > Extended are checked, either)
Not sure if Smart Filtering

That's all. If you want to save this for future use, File > Save As > Support Asset > Figure/Prop Asset. It will follow with Genesis morphs, but some really extreme ones will cause stretching in the texture.

This WILL support V4 textures. Shown below using Surreality's Steam Queens brows.

This may work on G2F also, but I don't have the V4 shape for her, so I can't test. Feel free to let me know if it works.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Thanks, it is very useful!

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Thanks for this...very useful!

I ended up doing things slightly differently. When I tried to follow your instructions, DS kept crashing during step 9 (transfer utility). So then I tried replacing your step 9 with RAMWolff's instructions on converting a prop to a figure: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/
    and that worked perfectly. I was working with the M4 brows...maybe that's why it was different, though I'd guess it should be the same for either figure's brows. At any rate, now I can use the Gabriel character's brows on Genesis (found in this product), which I couldn't figure out how to do until I saw this thread. :) Here's the Gabriel skin, brows, and hair on D5:

d5gabriel2.jpg
    618 x 800 - 259K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Nice!

I don't know much about the backend of DS' coding, so I'm not sure why the TU would bugger out on you like that. Glad you found a method that works for you though. :D

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

That's a great one! I never even thought of it.

Yet another method:

Create a geometry shell parented to Genesis or G2F.

Assign that geometry shell V4's UV. (You need to have V4's morph to get that with it, of course.)

Hide all except the face.

Apply the eyebrows and their bump/transmaps manually.

Save as a preset so you don't have to do it again.

edited August 2013

The brow was a separate prop on V4, not a mat zone, so it wouldn't be in the UVs.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

No, I mean if you want to do this with Genesis or G2F, you will need Genesis V4 or G2F V4 in order to have those UVs to apply to the geoshell. It won't work with this method otherwise.

edited December 1969

Oh sorry, I missed the "manually" part when you were talking about applying the brows. In the long run I think migrating the actual brow over is a time saver as it directly accepts mat poses as if it was still on V4.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Oh sorry, I missed the "manually" part when you were talking about applying the brows. In the long run I think migrating the actual brow over is a time saver as it directly accepts mat poses as if it was still on V4.

Probably! It's simple, clever and functional. I just wanted to offer another option that's worked for me.

edited December 1969

Oh, yea, definitely. I'm not discrediting it or anything, sorry if it came off that way. :)

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Oh, yea, definitely. I'm not discrediting it or anything, sorry if it came off that way. :)

Not at all, and I'm doing yours as we speak. :-)

edited December 1969

Haha nice. Let me know how it comes out. :D

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited August 2013

I ended up doing things slightly differently. When I tried to follow your instructions, DS kept crashing during step 9 (transfer utility). So then I tried replacing your step 9 with RAMWolff's instructions on converting a prop to a figure: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/
    and that worked perfectly. I was working with the M4 brows...maybe that's why it was different, though I'd guess it should be the same for either figure's brows.

How did you get that to work? I tried the same thing, and had the same issue with M4, Studio crashing at step 9. When I tried to convert the brows object to a figure, I get a message saying that it needs something with geometry to perform that function. If I try to weightmap it as though it were already a figure, I get a message saying that Studio needs something with Parametric Joint Parameters for that conversion. Either way, I can't get it to work.

That's a great one! I never even thought of it.

Yet another method:

Create a geometry shell parented to Genesis or G2F.

Assign that geometry shell V4's UV. (You need to have V4's morph to get that with it, of course.)

Hide all except the face.

Apply the eyebrows and their bump/transmaps manually.

Save as a preset so you don't have to do it again.

And again, I am confused. How do you get that to work on Genesis when it doesn't have a separate eyebrow? Doesn't that essentially replace the entire SkinFace zone? (Depending on how the texture is built, of course.) There isn't any way to make the rest of the face invisible, so you wind up with a doubled texture.

EDIT: DUH. Brows have transmaps. OK, never mind....

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

and that worked perfectly. I was working with the M4 brows...maybe that's why it was different, though I'd guess it should be the same for either figure's brows.

How did you get that to work? I tried the same thing, and had the same issue with M4, Studio crashing at step 9. When I tried to convert the brows object to a figure, I get a message saying that it needs something with geometry to perform that function. If I try to weightmap it as though it were already a figure, I get a message saying that Studio needs something with Parametric Joint Parameters for that conversion. Either way, I can't get it to work.
    I followed Vaskania's steps 1 through 8 prior to using the RAMWolff method. The end result of steps 1 through 8 was that the brows turned into an .obj (a prop, in other words, with geometry) that I could then convert to a figure. Make sure you have the .obj selected.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

I followed Vaskania's steps 1 through 8 prior to using the RAMWolff method. The end result of steps 1 through 8 was that the brows turned into an .obj (a prop, in other words, with geometry) that I could then convert to a figure. Make sure you have the .obj selected.

That's exactly what I did, but for some reason, Studio is refusing to recognize the brows OBJ as something containing geometry. Weird.

edited December 1969

Make sure it's exporting the .obj with mat zones and/or an .mtl. DS will refuse to import an .obj with no materials assigned.

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,025
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    This may work on G2F also, but I don't have the V4 shape for her, so I can't test. Feel free to let me know if it works.

It does indeed. Using transmaps for the brows you don't even need to use V4 UV on the G2F face. Thanks so much for the tutorial!!

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,025
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    That's exactly what I did, but for some reason, Studio is refusing to recognize the brows OBJ as something containing geometry. Weird.

When you export the object you need to have the base V4 object visible as well as the eyebrow in my version to get the eyebrow exported
    Win 8, 64 bit with Daz 4.6 Pro 64 bit.

I'm attaching a pic since I tend not to explain myself well.

Untitled-1.jpg
    1025 x 822 - 236K