Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 10

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987

Slepalex -beautiful renders from you, really superb

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited October 2018

Side tracked again... Got to a point on the Terrain Editor where I had what I think is a cool looking terrain and then spent three days making materials for it. All of them adapted from David & Horo's High Res Terrains materials but adapted quite a lot. Also done matching skies for them all... Pleased with the results and more pleased with knowing a little bit more about the DTE. laugh

(Worth clicking to zoom in the full sized picture)

AllMatsComp.jpg
    3462 x 1785 - 1M
    Post edited by Dave Savage on

Hansmar: I keep looking at other terrain generating softwares and then just going back ot the Bryce Terrain Editor so I appreciate your renders showing what World Machine can do... You're getting good results.

Horo: The whirlpool looks fab. Would be easy to do a heightmap in Photoshop with it's "twirly around" filter. ... That's not what it's called really, but that's what I call it. laugh

Alex: Wonderful as ever, Lonely Oak is my favourite. Great golden sunset sky on that one and you've really managed to get that colour casting across the scene making it all look so natural.

• Horo - Excellent works with the DTE. 

Dave Savage - Very cool scifi scene. 

Slepalex - Amazing cloud vortex; really dramatizes the scene. The forests scenes are incredible; Oak Sunset is also my favorite.

Hansmar - Nice going; you seem to get a handle on WM. Keep up the good work.

• I'm still experimenting with World Machine and decided to create an alien craft in Hexagon 2. The patterns on the alien ship's hull are created in Bryce's DTE. 

Ancient Alien Crash.png
    1114 x 819 - 1M
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,109

Dave - thank you. Great scenes. There's a lot of geometry in the terrain, not all is bump. Very nice wide-angle shots.

Eugenius - thank you. Very well done models, terrain also looks good. The render looks a bit flat to me. I see from where the sun shines but the shadows are very weak. Did you use a white Sky Dome?

edited October 2018

Dave - Excellent scenes, great lighting and materials, awesome distraction smiley

Eugenius Maximus-  very nice modeling and terrain also looks good.

Stacked terrains using one of David’s and Horo’s 3D Object Clouds and sky for lighting and an anaglyph

stackedmordor-3dcloud.jpg
    800 x 533 - 262K
    strackedmordor-ana.jpg
    800 x 533 - 314K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited October 2018

EugeniusMaximus: Nice models, nice landscape. For me, it needs darker shadows but it's a good scene.

Mermaid: That's a nice looking range of mountains and fluffy clouds.

Bryce Terrain Editor tip: If you want smoother erosion, use a lower resolution terrain. Get the terrain to look how you want and then increase the resulotion to paint finer details on.

The example below was done at 256 and erosion added from the TE menu (there are 3 ways of adding erosion: Erosion, Eroded and Erode) for this I used the one marked B.

Then changing the resolution to 1024, I added the footprints... If you add erosion to a 1024 terrain, you get sharp cracks instead of gentle furrows. If you add fine details to low resolution terrains they'll be too soft edged.

Screen-shot-2018-10-18-at-15.21.14.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 392K
    DesertPyramidsALT2.jpg
    1666 x 832 - 752K

mermaid - very nice mountainous landscape and great biplane. anaglyph is excellent.

Dave - now that's a cool idea to do it in different resolution layers. Thanks for the tip. Got to experiment with this.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

All this is very useful. I mean experiments with TE. True, all this is lost among the hundreds of messages. It would be nice to create a separate thread on this topic.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755

Mermaid, Horo, adbc, Dave Savage, Eugenius Maximus: Thanks.

Slepalex: wonderful nature scenes. My favourite is also the lonely oak. Partly due to the wonderful coloured sky.

Dave Savage: Fantastic set of terrain renders. Lovely to see all the textures in all the different lights. Very good tips for the TE. I'll certainly go back to it.

Eugenius: Great looking terrain and well used.

Mermaid: very nice flight scene.

edited October 2018

My new work.
    Full description here.

Post edited by Slepalex on

Then changing the resolution to 1024, I added the footprints... If you add erosion to a 1024 terrain, you get sharp cracks instead of gentle furrows. If you add fine details to low resolution terrains they'll be too soft edged.

Dave, beautiful scenery! True, the  footprints in my opinion are too big.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Slepalex said:

My new work.
    Full description here.

That is so beautiful and peaceful

edited October 2018
    Slepalex said:

Dave, beautiful scenery! True, the  footprints in my opinion are too big.

Alex: You don't know how big his feet were. laughlaughlaugh

That's a very lovely autumnal render... Extremely good.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited October 2018

Nice , Mermaid, Dave, Sleplex.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited October 2018

Slepalex - beautiful autumn scene, very well done birch trees.

Post edited by Horo on

Thanks Dave, Horo, Hansmar and Jay

Dave - cool idea thanks for sharing, my next question will be about the footprints, are they photoshop ones on a terrain?

Slepalex - beautiful scene, I agree very peaceful and serene.

Slepalex said:

All this is very useful. I mean experiments with TE. True, all this is lost among the hundreds of messages. It would be nice to create a separate thread on this topic.

I agree smiley

edited October 2018

Thanks Dave, Horo, Hansmar and Jay

Dave - cool idea thanks for sharing, my next question will be about the footprints, are they photoshop ones on a terrain?

I made a footprint brush and saved it to the 'User Brushes' in the TE and painted them onto the terrain so they are part of the geometry. smiley

FootprintSand.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 685K
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,095

Dave Savage : Amazing examples with the DTE, the terrain materials and the skies. Thanks for the tip about the resolution. The scene with the footprints is great.

Eugenius Maximus : Nice terrains and modeling, great sky also.

mermaid : I like the scene with the plane and the anaglyph.

Slepalex : your new work is so beautiful.

Dave - thanks for the explanation; something else to experiment with.

Adbc - thanks

edited October 2018

Dave - cool footprints but unfortunately presented (for me). They look as coming out of the sand instead of going into it. This is an illusion because the light shines from top left.

A Sunday afternoon job that rendered in less than half an hour. 16 TE tiles (1024) and 4 TE tiles (2048) combined.

Chiseled Land

ChiseledLand.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 159K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755

Slepalex: really wonderful scene!

Dave Savage: good idea, to create footprint brushes! But, like Horo says, it looks like the footprints are on the sand, not in them. I once used two feet as negative terrains to make imprints in a positive terrain.

Horo: Rather strange looking terrain, but interesting and very well lighted.

Sadly, there's nothing I can do about the "illusion" apart from suggesting you look at the fourth footprint up from the bottom... Which being deeper than the others gives the perspective you need to be able to tell which way the light is coming from... In theory, from then, you will see all the footprints being imprinted and not extruded. smiley

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

Sadly, there's nothing I can do about the "illusion"

I noticed that a lot with crop circles.

Flip them around 180 degrees and they look inverted.

Like this one.

1mg-g.jpg
    874 x 363 - 120K
    12mg-g.jpg
    874 x 363 - 131K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    StuartB said:

Sadly, there's nothing I can do about the "illusion"

I noticed that a lot with crop circles.

Flip them around 180 degrees and they look inverted.

Like this one.

I often find that I look at photos of plates or something similar and have to really concentrate to see then as concave and not convex,  so tjhis doesn't just happen in 3d images.  It's a combo of the lighting on the image/phot and the lighting of the place you are in when viewing.

Oh yes, it isn't Dave's fault. I know this from looking at close-ups from Moon craters, out of a sudden they flip this way or that. For the foot prints, I think a context would help to make the brain behave decently. wink

edited October 2018

Sadly, there's nothing I can do about the "illusion" apart from suggesting you look at the fourth footprint up from the bottom... Which being deeper than the others gives the perspective you need to be able to tell which way the light is coming from... In theory, from then, you will see all the footprints being imprinted and not extruded. smiley

I think it's all about the lighting. If you use HDRI or Sphere Dome Light in combination with the sun with soft shadows, the traces will look really concave.
    And further. Before uploading footprints to the TE library, they need to be to blur out a bit when it comes to sand.

edited October 2018

Additional objects casting a shadow actually create the correct illusion of concave footprints.

Here is the work of 2009, where I used footprints.

следы.jpg
    800 x 600 - 220K
This discussion has been closed.