Mephistopolis Noir, the all-new comic-book shader for DAZ|Studio! IN THE STORE NOW! [Commercial]

Comments

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'll step away from the boards almost entirely for the next week or so, because my military obligations call me elsewhere. But this project is still very much under way and the documentation is nearly written. Testers/Contestants: you should have gotten the updates I sent out last evening.

Depth Cue now works as ordered.

Weary_Warrior.jpg
    556 x 618 - 272K
  • 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'll step away from the boards almost entirely for the next week or so, because my military obligations call me elsewhere. But this project is still very much under way and the documentation is nearly written. Testers/Contestants: you should have gotten the updates I sent out last evening.

Depth Cue now works as ordered.

Got it :-P

Stay safe, Eustace :)

edited December 1969

Thanks, Lux!

edited August 2013

Judging has begun.

;D

A couple of the entries I have decided to combine in post-processing (multiple images by the same entrant), but each parent image will count for this contest as a single entry.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

welcome back Eustace! as a military spouse I empathize with military obligations pulling you/friends/family away all the time. Kudos to you!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,342
    edited August 2013

I lost my fiance while I was in the military. She decided a month before our wedding to sleep with my best friend. I have much respect for those wives who stick by there husband when he's gone for any length of time. My dad lost 2 wives while he was in the Airforce. One being my mother.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I lost my fiance while I was in the military. She decided a month before our wedding to sleep with my best friend. I have much respect for those wives who stick by there husband when he's gone for any length of time. My dad lost 2 wives while he was in the Airforce. One being my mother.

I'm so sorry to hear that Frank :( I can understand why, in some extent.... Every time my husband was deployed (he was gone for 4 out of 5 years.... his first deployment ruined our first wedding date and we had to postpone a year... and postpone again when his leave was cancelled... and postpone again when he was directly redeployed from one warzone to another (2 and a half years of deployment in a row). And then, a month before he was supposed to finish his time in the Army, he was stoplossed for another year, that was extended another several months as well..... I can see how things like that alone would drive a woman crazy. I waited over 5 years for him to come HOME! And each deployment it got harder for us... he had more and more struggle with PTSD, and by the last deployment, I had this constant, horrible feeling that luck would run out and he wouldn't make it home... the depression and fear and panic attacks made me feel like such a coward. And then we finally survived it and he came home, a totally different man with PTSD.... It's been 6 years since he got out of the military, and we're only just starting to be and feel like a couple and a family again. It's a tough life for military families. I held on.... sheer stubbornness I think. Everyone said we'd never make it through so many long distance years of deployments. I'm not sure how we made it at all!! Heartbreaking for all parties. So sorry to hear your fiance didn't hang on long enough for you, or your mother. War is hard enough on families when we know we can count on someone. I can't imagine without.

On a more shader related note.... I was trying to replicate that black and white outline.... how was that done??? it looks awesome. I feel like I should have figured it out by now!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,342
    edited December 1969

Well I have the utmost respect for you. I know it must of been hard. I was only gone 3 months at a time on a sea pack (was in the NAVY). But my fiance was in Ohio and I was in San Diego for 6 months before it happened. I don't regret it now. I have a great wife of 16 years and two beautiful kids.

edited December 1969

And here all I've got is two weeks out-of-state with the reserves! Of course, my wife is up to her eyebrows with our two offspring (I bequeathed them all my flaws...) and wants me back home a week ago.

The outline (by jakiblue) was done in N-H with very light colors, sepia either black or white, and dots off.

edited December 1969

3 months can feel forever but after waiting several years.... >_< Glad you found a keeper Frank and sounds like you have as well Eustace! And great kids all of you, flaws or not. :) My own son seems to be taking after ME too much. He looks like his daddy but acts like me. Which, to be honest, is temperamental, stubborn as heck, everloving, cries over everything, has to do everything his doggone self, right down to learning everything the hard way! LOL. ;)

I'm running off to try that outline setting again...just woke up :)

edited August 2013

Brewing up the GeoShell presets for BelovedAlia, and I think these may be the last major set. One or two of the others may be expanded a little, but the project is rapidly nearing completion.

The winning entries--to be submitted to DAZ as store gallery images, are the following:

Titan by LuxCompagno (BanditCameraman)

TR Aught-Five-Six-Six by SassyWench (title from bulkhead panel behind her head.)

A pair of the Black & White images by jakiBlue (seen below)

Contemplation by DollyGirl (as below)

Fury's Spellribbons by LuxCompagno (BanditCameraman)

All in a Day's Work by BelovedAlia

That comes to two each for LuxCompagno, DollyGirl, and jakiBlue (two postworked together still equals two) and one each, SassyWench and BelovedAlia. The sequence above is not based on artistic merit exclusively, but also for series variety and to highlight the range of uses for the shaders.

BlackWhiteTest.jpg
    900 x 961 - 102K
    Contemplation-composted.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 381K
    edited December 1969

Freak3, in the Roaring 20's suit.

The last of the known bugs has been corrected, thanks to our friend AgeOfArmour. The second render is en/S1M's Blind Guardian, with an off-white Geoshell in BelovedAlia's recipe.

Albus_Render_#1.png
    554 x 618 - 536K
    King_Henry.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Progress continues apace: the Preliminary Review board liked your renders, ladies and gentlemen!

Here's a preview of the raytraced "Coffee" preset. And what may become an Emerald preset.

Raytrace_#3.png
    809 x 500 - 333K
    edited December 1969

Progress continues apace: the Preliminary Review board liked your renders, ladies and gentlemen!

Here's a preview of the raytraced "Coffee" preset. And what may become an Emerald preset.

Yay! :cheese:

Looking forward to further developments :)

• FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,888
    edited December 1969

Wow! How did I miss this thread? I've been looking for shaders like this. They look fabulous! (If you're still looking for testers, I would be happy to volunteer my eyes. :) )

edited December 1969

Tell your eyes to grab a plate: they're in for a feast!

I may be uploading the full package today or tomorrow. I just have to finish the preset conversions for DUF (not everyone will want, or know what to do with, the DSA/DSE retrograde versions) and polish the user manual.

I dare any other comic-book shader to give me presets like these!

Gemstones_Noir.jpg
    293 x 326 - 175K
    edited December 1969

It's Product Submission Day!

edited December 1969

Now, for a sneak peek at the cover art...

Pish! Who's sneaking?

Thanks to BanditCameraman for the great artwork.

Titan_r_Cover_Art.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    edited September 2013

I haven't been getting any updates at all from the forums :-S :shut:

The gemstone presets rulz, Eustace :cheese: (Gemworld renders anyone :lol: ) Quick dumb question: why are the presets duplicated :red:

Looking forward to seeing it in the store and thank you so much for letting me take part :)

Seeing Titan on the cover is beyond awesome :-P

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

Me either bandit... if I don't remember to book mark the thread I won't remember to check back. no idea why the forums keep stopping these forum updates. What a PITA!

The presets are awesome Eustace and totally worth the extra wait! Fantastic! As for duplicated I think that's because there are DS/DSA as well as DUF presets. Older versions of Daz Studio use Ds/dsa material settings and newer (4.5+) use duf format. :)

edited September 2013

Alia's right: the duplication is between DSE and DUF formats. But that's a screenshot from my working directory: the different formats are uploaded in separate ZIPs for customer convenience-- why download and install both of everything? The DSEs work in DS$.5 just fine, and the only figure that demands a DUF is the G2F. But not everyone needs to use them in DS3, either, and the DUF format is more compact in file-size, even with all else equal.

I wouldn't recommend any big GemWorld renders, BC, unless you're taking your wife on a second-honeymoon weekend while it renders. Those icons alone took about 15-18 minutes! each (I think). (DD was set at 50, size 100 x 100).

edited September 2013

I have been playing with the raytrace again, corrected the Water recipe (H2O is really an extremely complex recipe to mix correctly) and may be expanding the jewels presets. No, before anyone asks, alexandrite is NOT included. ;)

Ruby_Ring.png
    400 x 400 - 207K
    edited December 1969

Alia's right: the duplication is between DSE and DUF formats. But that's a screenshot from my working directory: the different formats are uploaded in separate ZIPs for customer convenience-- why download and install both of everything? The DSEs work in DS$.5 just fine, and the only figure that demands a DUF is the G2F. But not everyone needs to use them in DS3, either, and the DUF format is more compact in file-size, even with all else equal.

I wouldn't recommend any big GemWorld renders, BC, unless you're taking your wife on a second-honeymoon weekend while it renders. Those icons alone took about 15-18 minutes! each (I think). (DD was set at 50, size 100 x 100).

Got it; thanks for clearing it up Alia and Eustace :)

Ack! That long for a tiny render :bug: Second honeymoon weekend is right %-P

I have been playing with the raytrace again, corrected the Water recipe (H2O is really an extremely complex recipe to mix correctly) and may be expanding the jewels presets. No, before anyone asks, alexandrite is NOT included. ;)

That's a lovely render and looking forward to this in the store :cheese:

edited December 1969

I must correct myself: the gemstones were only three or four minutes each (faceted stones are relatively low-poly), but the shot-glass icon (same stats) DID take 16 minutes. And materials with higher IOR (like diamond) take longer to render, all else being equal.

I'm not going to release the above Fresnel jewel recipe immediately (although you may use my Fresnel node-tree, posted in the Node Recipes thread, to upgrade any shader), because that would mean updating all 190+ presets in both D|S3 and D|S4 formats, and I'm no even certain it works in DS3 yet. But there will be a couple more gemstones added to the current list.

edited December 1969

Poster Time!
    This shows one of BelovedAlia's geoshells over a contrasting black preset: postwork added in PSP.

Mannequin_Propagandist.jpg
    1000 x 1618 - 936K
    edited December 1969

I must correct myself: the gemstones were only three or four minutes each (faceted stones are relatively low-poly), but the shot-glass icon (same stats) DID take 16 minutes. And materials with higher IOR (like diamond) take longer to render, all else being equal.

I'm not going to release the above Fresnel jewel recipe immediately (although you may use my Fresnel node-tree, posted in the Node Recipes thread, to upgrade any shader), because that would mean updating all 190+ presets in both D|S3 and D|S4 formats, and I'm no even certain it works in DS3 yet. But there will be a couple more gemstones added to the current list.

Ah ok. Got it, I think :-P

Poster Time!
    This shows one of BelovedAlia's geoshells over a contrasting black preset: postwork added in PSP.

This is amazing! Can't wait to do something similar :cheese:

edited December 1969

But BC, you already did!

The product is Out of Testing.

edited December 1969

I got word today that it's just about "Ready for Release"...

WooHOO!

edited December 1969

I got word today that it's just about "Ready for Release"...

WooHOO!

WOOhoo :cheese: Are we there yet :-P

But BC, you already did!

The product is Out of Testing.

I meant doing a render to get the metal effect; it's totally kick-ass :)

edited December 1969

It's been "Ready to Release" since the 19th of September. I think it qualifies now as DAZ|Soon. :P

I really wouldn't have picked that robot image as "metallic", particularly. The base model has a blue-green specularity on black, and the GeoShell uses an orange specular over top of it. Not that complex--or reflective.

Yesterday evening's render with Nursoda models...

Steed_Fantastique.jpg
    1000 x 1618 - 1M
This discussion has been closed.