The Things Which Could Be Worse Need Cats To Make Them Better Complaint Thread

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
edited October 2018 in The Commons

This discussion was created from comments split from: It's My Party and I'll Complain If I Want To Complaint Thread.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited October 2018

...I'd normally say I'll wait until it comes to one of our second run cinemas, but the ones I normally patronise have all gone "first run" fare as well and jacked up their prices. At the one in my old neighbourhood I used to get in for 3$ (senior admission) any time of the day, not just matinees, now it's more like 11$ - 13$.  Crikey for that I used to my ticket, a pint of good beer, and slice of pizza. 

Now I have to wait until films come out on Netflix.

...The Going To The Cinema Is Too Expensive These Days Complaint Thread.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

Congrats on winning the new thread, KK. smileyyes

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    kyoto kid said:

...I'd normally say I'll wait until it comes to one of our second run cinemas, but the ones I normally patronise have all gone "first run" fare as well and jacked up their prices. At the one in my old neighbourhood I used to get in for 3$ (senior admission) any time of the day, not just matinees, now it's more like 11$ - 13$.  Crikey for that I used to my ticket, a pint of good beer, and slice of pizza. 

I am trying out a thing that the local movie theater has which allows me to see up to three movies a week for a monthly fee of 20 dollars.

...wow, thanks.  Been a long time. 

kyoto kid said:

...wow, thanks.  Been a long time. 

Congrats.

complaint trying to think why I printed a picture of Robert Downing Jr other than because I could.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    Tjohn said:

I thought the winner would be whoever got the last post on the old thread. Oh well, shows how much I know. I guess I am relatively new here.

Anyway, here's my complaint: I got my 32Gb micro SD card in from Amazon today and by the time I got it home I'd almost lost it. Even though it was still in it's packaging, it slipped under the cardboard fold in the box and I didn't see it. It was only about 9 bucks, but just the fact that it was so small it got lost in the packaging frustrates me. This never would have happened in the old days. I don't recall anyone ever losing 32Gb worth of floppy disks. Manufacturers need to fix this. Make stuff big so we can find it.cheeky

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268

@ KK: Congratulations on winning the new thread.

I need to go to sleep soon.

• Kitsumo said:
    Tjohn said:

I thought the winner would be whoever got the last post on the old thread. Oh well, shows how much I know. I guess I am relatively new here.

Anyway, here's my complaint: I got my 32Gb micro SD card in from Amazon today and by the time I got it home I'd almost lost it. Even though it was still in it's packaging, it slipped under the cardboard fold in the box and I didn't see it. It was only about 9 bucks, but just the fact that it was so small it got lost in the packaging frustrates me. This never would have happened in the old days. I don't recall anyone ever losing 32Gb worth of floppy disks. Manufacturers need to fix this. Make stuff big so we can find it.cheeky

Nope, it's the 1st on the new thread because the 1st in the thread is the only one (other than an admin) who can change the title of the thread.

Kitsumo said:
    Tjohn said:

Nope, it's the 1st on the new thread because the 1st in the thread is the only one (other than an admin) who can change the title of the thread.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Makes sense.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited October 2018

At one time  (mid to late 80's) I had to put on a dog and pony show during an open house for families of employees of the think tank I worked for.  I worked in a classified research lab with our own little raised false floor computer room in one corner of the lab.  The computer room was about 10 foot square and was enclosed in a glass room in the corner and had no space to take herds of visitors into it, so all I could do was point at it through the windows and impress them with statistics about the kilobytes of memory and megabytes of disk storage that it had. frown 

So, to make a better display I decided to show how data storage density had progressed over 20 years.  At the time, 8mm data tapes were relatively new and I laid out 1 tape and declared it to be 1GB of data, then next to it was a pile of 1/4 inch cartridge tape adding to 1GB, progressing similarly down through reels of 9-track tape of decreasing storage density getting taller and taller, to finally reels of 7-track tape at some ridiculously low density like 200bpi.  Each pile, of course, got taller and taller and the final pile was truncated with a sign at the top saying "This pile would extend up through the roof of this building" several stories higher. 

To think now that one can get 32 or 64 or 128 or even 256 or more GB on one of those tiny micro SD cards is mind blowing.  One could literally hide it in one's nose.  But be careful of sneezing or snorting. surprise 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

..I like the title.

At one time  (mid to late 80's) I had to put on a dog and pony show during an open house for families of employees of the think tank I worked for.  I worked in a classified research lab with our own little raised false floor computer room in one corner of the lab.  The computer room was about 10 foot square and was enclosed in a glass room in the corner and had no space to take herds of visitors into it, so all I could do was point at it through the windows and impress them with statistics about the kilobytes of memory and megabytes of disk storage that it had. frown 

So, to make a better display I decided to show how data storage density had progressed over 20 years.  At the time, 8mm data tapes were relatively new and I laid out 1 tape and declared it to be 1GB of data, then next to it was a pile of 1/4 inch cartridge tape adding to 1GB, progressing similarly down through reels of 9-track tape of decreasing storage density getting taller and taller, to finally reels of 7-track tape at some ridiculously low density like 200bpi.  Each pile, of course, got taller and taller and the final pile was truncated with a sign at the top saying "This pile would extend up through the roof of this building" several stories higher. 

To think now that one can get 32 or 64 or 128 or even 256 or more GB on one of those tiny micro SD cards is mind blowing.  One could literally hide it in one's nose.  But be careful of sneezing or snorting. surprise 

Or picking one’s nose?

Where is Gia 8?  Do I really want to brush my teeth or do I want to go back to sleep?

...in the store now (and all if tonight's new releases are Gia8 related....yawn).

Ahh well. maybe we'll see new PC stuff tomorrow night.

I've already misplaced a few storage devices over the years, a 128Mb flash drive and I think a 512Mb microSD card, but those were years ago. I never thought to check my nose though.laugh

• kyoto kid said:

...The Going To The Cinema Is Too Expensive These Days Complaint Thread

kyoto kid said:

I am trying out a thing that the local movie theater has which allows me to see up to three movies a week for a monthly fee of 20 dollars.

i have found the best way to save money on the theater is to dump the girlfriend. it saves like 75% off the cost of a visit plus I get to actually watch the movie without pondering all the bizzare comments being made during the movie.

edited October 2018
    kyoto kid said:

kyoto kid said:

i have found the best way to save money on the theater is to dump the girlfriend. it saves like 75% off the cost of a visit plus I get to actually watch the movie without pondering all the bizzare comments being made during the movie.

yesenlightened

edited October 2018
    Kitsumo said:

I've already misplaced a few storage devices over the years, a 128Mb flash drive and I think a 512Mb microSD card, but those were years ago. I never thought to check my nose though.laugh

I only mentioned the ability to nasally obscure data chips because decades ago I had a significant security clearance and temporary business in the NSA building at Ft. Meade, Maryland where Marine guards stood at attention with guns at the base of the escalators and one is subject to ingress and egress searches of one's person and possessions to try to catch people smuggling data or objects to/from this secretive facility.  However, they didn't look up your nose. surprise  (Perhaps they do now.)

Not that I would ever consider trying to steal data, but I did not like being assigned to that facility for even the 3 times that I had to go there.  I even refused to apply for higher security clearance and turned down a very lucrative job opportunity to work full time there.  The level of intrusion that it would have had into my life made me realize how happy I was not knowing even more secrets.  I liked being a bit rascally and rogueish in my private life.  What I smoked and who I slept with was no business of theirs. cheeky

kyoto kid said:

kyoto kid said:

yesenlightened

Sounds great but I do not have a girlfriend (or a boyfriend). But I once I went to a movie with this guy to see lord of rings but at the end he kept telling me he had to use the bathroom.  He was older than me and I was not his mother.  I was the girlfriend, but quickly it became apparent that I wanted to break up and he was thinking of getting an engagement ring.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024
    edited October 2018

Woke to this.. wasn’t like this yesterday 

3F6EE9A5-FEBB-4FD6-AEF4-8B79A006C9AB.jpeg
    1536 x 2048 - 647K
    Post edited by hacsart on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    kyoto kid said:

My local cinema does an 'Unlimited Card' - any showing as often as you like for £18 a month. AND a discount on the concessions. (That's about double the price of a Netflix sub) I would average at least one film a week, sometimes two or three. Having said that, thanks to the Summer of Sickness (cellulitis, sepsis, diabetes, hospital, 3 surgeries . . .), I haven't been able to go since early July.

kyoto kid said:

kyoto kid said:

...I don't have that option and it's still bloody expensive.

hacsart said:

...ugh, now I'm shivering.  I want fall here to give winter a miss and go straight into spring.

• hacsart said:

Santa's practice field?

edited October 2018

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., my UPS package has finally arrived.  It literally took me 15 minutes to unpack it from all the foam peanuts, foam sheets, small bubblewrap, large bubblewrap, foam planks, and miles of tape inside the large double thick box container.  It is unbroken, and more gorgeous than I anticipated.  It now sits in the honored place on my display shelf.  Illuminated from behind by high intensity lamps to make it glow and show off it's golden translucence and intricate filigreed carvings.

Upon close personal examination I can see that it is old.  The whole vase is carved from one piece of stone about 10 inches high.  It has minute age cracks, handling wear, and white oxidation and dark amber staining of some of the edges of the cream colored translucent stone (agate? or possibly a marble like stone?).  I can see that there used to be two additional small "handles" or "ears" on the bulbous base part of it but they have been broken off either during creation or during its lifetime, the mounting points show just a small bump where someone has smoothed down the stubs.  But they're not missed.  This piece is beautiful just as it is.

StoneVase.jpg
    734 x 1100 - 58K

Now to find a way home.  Movie was good.

I am not sure if my taxi is on the way or if I should walk home.  I do not know what to do but this hotspot I am using only gives half an hour for free.

I am not sure if my taxi is on the way or if I should walk home.  I do not know what to do but this hotspot I am using only gives half an hour for free.

Home now, but group home staff is mad at me for taking a third trip in one day.

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., my UPS package has finally arrived.  It literally took me 15 minutes to unpack it from all the foam peanuts, foam sheets, small bubblewrap, large bubblewrap, foam planks, and miles of tape inside the large double thick box container.  It is unbroken, and more gorgeous than I anticipated.  It now sits in the honored place on my display shelf.  Illuminated from behind by high intensity lamps to make it glow and show off it's golden translucence and intricate filigreed carvings.

Upon close personal examination I can see that it is old.  The whole vase is carved from one piece of stone about 10 inches high.  It has minute age cracks, handling wear, and white oxidation and dark amber staining of some of the edges of the cream colored translucent stone (agate? or possibly a marble like stone?).  I can see that there used to be two additional small "handles" or "ears" on the bulbous base part of it but they have been broken off either during creation or during its lifetime, the mounting points show just a small bump where someone has smoothed down the stubs.  But they're not missed.  This piece is beautiful just as it is.

..nice.

This discussion has been closed.