Carrara Challenge 42 – PIONEERS – Dedicated to Eric Winemiller - WIP

Comments

• +1! yes

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2018

finally an update from me.first pic is my base image, which is a bit too dark. uses starbright.

second pic is a screenie showing what i've been doing. instead of stuffing my scene with all that, i was gonna ut them 0n planes with alphas, but decied it wss  easier to render it all out andv combine in PSE. aome use Toon Pro

base.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 53K
    Capture.PNG
    1920 x 1048 - 363K
    Post edited by VIArts on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,989
    edited February 1
    Stezza said:

Here's one a bit different to my others...

Curiosity Rover Pioneering Space to explore Mars...

pretty cool      _  kind of in an similar vein  to  one  i have been working on_

2MARS-MW 2A F1.png
    1920 x 1033 - 281K
    Post edited by ed3D on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Alberto said:

I will add an use of Light Mangler from Shader Ops 2.

Carrara Subsurface Scattering cannot accept texture maps, thus some rendered faces could look unrealistic as a result of the SSS uniformity.

Some figures in Daz Store have SSS maps included. Light Mangler can help with this.

This is an example with Genesis 3 Tween Ryan character (thanks to Misty for let Carrara can use it)

This is the face shader. The highlights and bump maps are applied.

In top shader I add a Light Mangler and then modified only the SSS of the Light Mangler. I set a multiply operator and in the Source 1, a Calculated Subsurface Scattering (it's the SSS calculated by Carrara).

In Source 2, I put a Texture Map with the SSS map provided by Daz.

This is the Carrara SSS channel.

These are the rendering (GI). First, SSS without the Light Mangler

Then, with Light Mangler:

For the characters without a SSS map, I usually put the Color Texture map in Source 2 of SSS Light Mangler.

Alberto, just wanted to say this is incredible info that has revolutionized the way I am approaching SSS in character skin shaders.  Thank you so much for this!  Wow, what a difference it makes to be able to drive the SSS effect with an image map, Light Mangler is incredibly powerful and I wish I had known about this years ago  :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited September 2018

-- DCG Toon Pro Filter Project: Brash and Moxie Pioneer Planet P101025SE315 --

Going back to some of my earliest posts, I mentioned that my Brash Lonergan and Moxie Espinoza characters would be making an appearance.  I just needed some distant figures for a big toonish terrain scene.  Everything modeled, rigged, shaded in Carrara.  I did use PSE to make some adjustments with some of the multipasses elements.  But this is pretty much the DCG Toon Pro output adjsuted to enhance Moxie's face with the diffuse pass.  Also muted the spaceship with the shadow pass.  Had the most fun playing with the realistic sky editor to try to make it look like an alien landscape.  The GMIC filter for comic color was used but I muted the opacity.

Scene setup, etc. to follow in subsequent post.

Click to see full size.

Entry DCG Frontier Render.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 140K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited September 2018

Here are some of the supporting elements.

Find attached

- Raw Toon render (can see density of lines obscure Moxie's face).

- Screenshot of the Assemble room for setup.

- Screenshot DCG Toon Pro settings (reduced size of lines, for example)

- Screenshot Multipass list 

- Screenshot GMIC settings

- Diffuse Multipass from which Moxie's face taken.

Frontier DCG 1.png
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
    Screenshot Assemble room setup.JPG
    1898 x 992 - 202K
    Scenshot Toon Pro render room settings.JPG
    448 x 1047 - 84K
    Screenshot Render Room Multipasses.JPG
    429 x 1039 - 74K
    Screenshot GMIC filter comic colors opacity turned down.JPG
    337 x 578 - 38K
    Frontier DCG 2 photoreal_Diffuse.png
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
    edited September 2018

Now to try to catch up with a couple of pages.  Great work.  Hope everyone gets them turned in.  Speaking of which, thank you, Alberto, for extending the entry period.
    - Bunyip, loving the space shuttle and the vintage car.  I especially liked the combinatoin wireframe and toon pro that generated the glowing green automobile. 
    - Thank you, Dimension Theory, for your generous sponsorship of the challenge. 
    - Lightofheaven - curious to see which way you finally decide to go.  I like both versions, the clean and the more cluttered.  Starbright came through very well. 
    - ed3D - Come on in, the water is fine!  Pretty cool looking model.  Can't wait to see more.
    - In case I forgot to say so, comments and suggestions are most welcome for my gaseous greenhouses image.  For this one, I did save the file and can make changes.  I'd say there is a moderate probability that Chickenzilla will be approaching from the northeast!

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    Jonstark said:
    Alberto said:

I will add an use of Light Mangler from Shader Ops 2.

Carrara Subsurface Scattering cannot accept texture maps, thus some rendered faces could look unrealistic as a result of the SSS uniformity.

Some figures in Daz Store have SSS maps included. Light Mangler can help with this.

This is an example with Genesis 3 Tween Ryan character (thanks to Misty for let Carrara can use it)

This is the face shader. The highlights and bump maps are applied.

In top shader I add a Light Mangler and then modified only the SSS of the Light Mangler. I set a multiply operator and in the Source 1, a Calculated Subsurface Scattering (it's the SSS calculated by Carrara).

In Source 2, I put a Texture Map with the SSS map provided by Daz.

This is the Carrara SSS channel.

These are the rendering (GI). First, SSS without the Light Mangler

Then, with Light Mangler:

For the characters without a SSS map, I usually put the Color Texture map in Source 2 of SSS Light Mangler.

Alberto, just wanted to say this is incredible info that has revolutionized the way I am approaching SSS in character skin shaders.  Thank you so much for this!  Wow, what a difference it makes to be able to drive the SSS effect with an image map, Light Mangler is incredibly powerful and I wish I had known about this years ago  :)

Your welcome! I should have shared before, sorry blush.

thanks, Diomode. i'm open to feedback, if any

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    Diomede said:

Now to try to catch up with a couple of pages.  Great work.  Hope everyone gets them turned in.  Speaking of which, thank you, Alberto, for extending the entry period.

Well, in fact, I forgot a deadlineblush, this is a compensation.

edited September 2018

I changed the camera angle and added glow to the leaves of the plants in the distant gaseous greenhouses.  Similar approach as earlier post above, but less post adjustments.  Rendered multipasses but didn't use any of them.  I did mix the photoreal render at 20% with the DCG Toon Pro render at 80%.  The DCG Toon Pro plugin has the lines reduced in size to 1.  Also applies the GMIC filter via Philemo plugin with comics color (opacity reduced to the 70% range this time).  Only scene change was rotating the rocket so that it is vertical.  Suggestions welcome.  Will be switching out my entry.

Doing it this way, I did not have to make corrections to Moxie's face, and the green in the greenhouses is more apparent. 

Click to see full size.

Entry ReFramed JPG.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 209K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited September 2018

thanks ted ub ep stezza and bunyip02 and anyone else I forgot to mention :)

sorry real life is sh8t again at the moment.

Great news about the sponsorship from Dimension Theory. That's very kind of him! I think it is the second time.

Post edited by Headwax on
    Diomede said:

I changed the camera angle and added glow to the leaves of the plants in the distant gaseous greenhouses.  Similar approach as earlier post above, but less post adjustments.  Rendered multipasses but didn't use any of them.  I did mix the photoreal render at 20% with the DCG Toon Pro render at 80%.  The DCG Toon Pro plugin has the lines reduced in size to 1.  Also applies the GMIC filter via Philemo plugin with comics color (opacity reduced to the 70% range this time).  Only scene change was rotating the rocket so that it is vertical.  Suggestions welcome.  Will be switching out my entry.

Doing it this way, I did not have to make corrections to Moxie's face, and the green in the greenhouses is more apparent. 

Click to see full size.

loving the myterious ways your mind doth work - the orange and the green are singing

finally an update from me.first pic is my base image, which is a bit too dark. uses starbright.

second pic is a screenie showing what i've been doing. instead of stuffing my scene with all that, i was gonna ut them 0n planes with alphas, but decied it wss  easier to render it all out andv combine in PSE. aome use Toon Pro

verey serene, great idea to render out sperate elements and put together in post - sometimes a shadow catcher comes in handy while doing this 

Bunyip02 said:

Combination of Toon! partIII and ToonPro

WireFrame Pro

Postwork in PSP. Added the WireFrame as a layer with reduced % Normal overlay, then edited the arms & hands of the driver.

Final combination. Time for a sleep, will have another look at it tomorrow.

Bunyip02 the car by itself is a beauty 

Diomede said:

Thanks for the detailed explanations, EP.  I always learn a lot from your contributions.

double that - love how organised you are too 

Diomede said:

Andrew, I am just blown away by the electric chair image.  Haunting in every good sense of the term.

----

This was a quick doodle that I wasn't going to enter, and then I changed my mind.  Tribute to that great pioneer of film comedy, Buster Keaton.  

- Required DCG plugin is the shoestring shader for the tires, of which I will post a screenshot of the dispalcement channel.

- I also used Philemo's GMIC plugin for the BW film filter.

- Content credits include Oskarsson's Slapstick character and clothes, and the Daz Original am 36 sedan.

Ha ha I laughed despite myself - black and white was a good choice!

edited September 2018
    Stezza said:

Used DCG Star Bright. Modelled the gun and UFO from my collection of Wacky stuff. Kit bashed Genesis into a Marvin the Martian. Curiosity Rover is from Renderosity. Landscape is moonscapes from the store.

Superbula stezza, must say I wonder where your ideas come from. Must be a deep well of archival memories in ther, bubbling up and escaping.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814
    Diomede said:

Click to see full size.

just wow @diomede 

and to have Brash and Moxie in my pigeon club's club colours gets you extra points

love it yes

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814
    head wax said:
    Stezza said:

Used DCG Star Bright. Modelled the gun and UFO from my collection of Wacky stuff. Kit bashed Genesis into a Marvin the Martian. Curiosity Rover is from Renderosity. Landscape is moonscapes from the store.

Superbula stezza, must say I wonder where your ideas come from. Must be a deep well of archival memories in ther, bubbling up and escaping.

I wonder the same thing at times.. thanks..

though I can remember back to when I was just a toddler so I guess that's a lot of stuff in between then and now  lol wink

edited September 2018

Thanks for the comments on the space greenhouses, Headwax and Stezza.

I tried to create a better Buster Keaton entry.  Had to start over.  I think it just looks more cluttered.  For the moment, I am entering this version.  I may go back and replace with the simpler original.

Buster Keaton 2.jpg
    1600 x 1260 - 219K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Diomede - thanks for the comment about the wireframe car render, it took a few goes to get a colour that looked right with the final render. Your Brash & Moxie render with the upright rocket looks great !!! I like your original Buster Keaton.

Headwax - thanks for the feedback, did think about just entering the car on it's own, but it felt like I was cheating on the idea of putting a scene together, maybe I could have done a Model-T and a Lamborghini and entered them side by side. Remember to enter your renders as well, hope life is not all sh*t at the moment, but also some fun.

LightofHeaven - good to see Bruce ready to kick some bad-guy butt in your scene (although Benny "The Jet" Urquidez was my favouite when I was younger)

Alberto - thanks for the extension, as well as being a great host.

Dimension Theory - big thank-you for keeping an interest in Carrara as well as being a sponsor

Stezza - love that imagination of yours

Diomede said:

Thanks for the comments on the space greenhouses, Headwax and Stezza.

I tried to create a better Buster Keaton entry.  Had to start over.  I think it just looks more cluttered.  For the moment, I am entering this version.  I may go back and replace with the simpler original.

a square crop would look good incorporating the whole circle but displaces to the left to include most of the black car - nice scene - not sure thye writing  helps though :)

edited September 2018
    Bunyip02 said:

Diomede - thanks for the comment about the wireframe car render, it took a few goes to get a colour that looked right with the final render. Your Brash & Moxie render with the upright rocket looks great !!! I like your original Buster Keaton.

Headwax - thanks for the feedback, did think about just entering the car on it's own, but it felt like I was cheating on the idea of putting a scene together, maybe I could have done a Model-T and a Lamborghini and entered them side by side. Remember to enter your renders as well, hope life is not all sh*t at the moment, but also some fun.

LightofHeaven - good to see Bruce ready to kick some bad-guy butt in your scene (although Benny "The Jet" Urquidez was my favouite when I was younger)

Alberto - thanks for the extension, as well as being a great host.

Dimension Theory - big thank-you for keeping an interest in Carrara as well as being a sponsor

Stezza - love that imagination of yours

yes I am caught up - the world is mad :)

yes will put my renders in thanks for the reminder ! I'm practicing for a public q and a I have to give tomorrow night about my art and I hate talking about my art in front of a crowd....... gah 

bring on the weekend!!

edited September 2018

onlything i changed in carrara was ading  voloumetric cloud underneth.b the rest is post

...meh, it wont attach my file

edit": got it

final2.png
    2731 x 2048 - 2M
    Post edited by VIArts on

onlything i changed in carrara was ading  voloumetric cloud underneth.b the rest is post

...meh, it wont attach my file

i upload stuff to a fake avccount in facebook then copy the image and past it here ;)

Image may contain: indoor

above is obne of my carrara scenes in situ  - the electric chair one is giving me an end of file error though I have zipped and unzipped it etc 

edited September 2018

okay, got it to upload. still unsure about the background color.  was trying to go brighter without losing the silhouette too much. but I'm not the best for color picking

Post edited by VIArts on

Tomb Raiders revisited thanks for the c and c I made the flames smaller with liquifu yool and added some random bent buildingbits with same tool 

topaz and photodonut for post work really recommend photdonut and its free

Image may contain: one or more people, night, outdoor and indoor

edited September 2018

Thanks for the cropping suggestion, Andrew.  Here is the current version of my Buster Keaton project, cropped and without the meme.

- LightofHeaven - Here is how I attach files - start by using attach file to the initial forum post.  Browse to my file location on my computer.  Save comment.  Return to post and click on small attached file to bring up pic.  Copy the URL.  Return to initial forum post.  Click on gear icon in uper rght to edit the post.  Click on landscape icon to insert a pic in the post.  Paste the url of the pic already attached.  Make sure width is less than or equal to 800.  Save comment.

- Headwax - sorry about the end of file error.  glad you got a version up first.  Egypt is another great one, I especially like the flames.  Done with alpha and splat?  Fire primitive?  Modeled?  Post?

Buster 3 Cropped.jpg
    690 x 626 - 99K
    ff01 attach file browse to location on computer.JPG
    288 x 180 - 15K
    ff02 file url.JPG
    837 x 692 - 93K
    ff03 icon for pic.JPG
    654 x 414 - 45K
    ff04 make sure width less than 800 personally also want vertical no too big.JPG
    761 x 554 - 57K

Hya Ted, that's a good crop - you have extracted the essence!

Ah flames are from torches that came with a south american temple  jungle set

https://www.daz3d.com/the-ruins-of-angkor-wat-temple

I fixed up the texture and added a bit of glow in ths shader room then lit them individually with bulbs.

I probably used the torch shader in the bulbs using Erics Digital Carver's shader gel - that's a great tool

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,989
    edited September 2018
    Diomede said:

- ed3D - Come on in, the water is fine!  Pretty cool looking model.  Can't wait to see more.

_thanks very much_

And thank you  kindly,  Alberto, for extending the entry period  _yes

Post edited by ed3D on