Carrara Challenge 42 – PIONEERS – Dedicated to Eric Winemiller - WIP

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    Selina said:

Wendy, I do like Octane's glints...

More great aviation pioneers Bunyip02

Nice Tom Raiders head wax - I presume Tom is the guy in the sarcophagus?

Looking good Diomedes and everyone else...

ha ha yes Tom was a cameraman but stepped backwards one step too far while filiming Guns of Navarone :)

Bunyip02 said:

Update from me for my Burke & Wills.

Came up with a combination of Toon & ToonPro that I liked, may have another go on the terrain with ToonPro.

Raw render out of Carrara.

Postwork with Topaz Impression.

Combination of renders in Paint Shop Pro.

Final output including feathering the edges of sand in PSP.

makes a huge difference that feathering wonderful scene too and love the concept - I noticed that there is a gumtree growing out of someone's head though - he needs to shampoo more often :)

Bunyip02 said:

th3Digit said:

awe poor Camel crying  they probably ate it before they died outback

great render yes 

I have done my final possibly, am going to do a lot more in my video not for this competition inc a FLUIDOS tidal wave

used

DCG Terrain tools surf

DCG Shoestring supermixer

I rendered it in Octane 3 for Carrara and used volumetric clouds for the light beams

wow Wendy, this is so good - now care to tell us how you cgot tapering cylindrical light beams from clouds?

Alberto said:

Updated the thread in Art Studio with works of Headwax, LightofHeaven and Wendy.

This is looking better and better! Congrats to all !yes

thanks Alberto :)

Image may contain: 2 people

This is in honour of  Alfred P. Southwick (1826–1898) inventor of the Electric Chair.

From the wiki 'Albert was a steam-boat engineer, dentist and inventor from Buffalo, New York.

He is credited with inventing the electric chair as a method of legal execution.

He was also a professor at the University of Buffalo school of dental medicine, now known as the State University of New York at Buffalo.

The chap in the chair is  William Kemmler according to wiki the first person to be legally executed by electrocution. (not sure why legally is in there)

Used Wireframe Pro and also Shaders Weaver for the clothes . http://www.des-web.net/html/weave.html

I rendered it out with a spherical camera to get that distortion. The wireframe pro doent obey carrara's spherical cameras so I used it in a different kind of overlay than I expected.

The electric chair is from sharecg made by Evil Clown - modified in places to get things to fit. 

https://www.sharecg.com/v/32511/related/11/Poser/The-Chair

• Getting a jump on Halloween, HW?  A masterful work.  If you don't enter this, I will complain to the moderators. smiley

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757
    head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Update from me for my Burke & Wills.

Came up with a combination of Toon & ToonPro that I liked, may have another go on the terrain with ToonPro.

Raw render out of Carrara.

Postwork with Topaz Impression.

Combination of renders in Paint Shop Pro.

Final output including feathering the edges of sand in PSP.

makes a huge difference that feathering wonderful scene too and love the concept - I noticed that there is a gumtree growing out of someone's head though - he needs to shampoo more often :)

Bunyip02 said:

Thanks Headwax - gotta be careful with that outback water http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-09/rural-children-at-risk-of-parasite-thriving-in-fresh-water/6922432

head wax said:
    th3Digit said:

awe poor Camel crying  they probably ate it before they died outback

great render yes 

I have done my final possibly, am going to do a lot more in my video not for this competition inc a FLUIDOS tidal wave

used

DCG Terrain tools surf

DCG Shoestring supermixer

I rendered it in Octane 3 for Carrara and used volumetric clouds for the light beams

wow Wendy, this is so good - now care to tell us how you cgot tapering cylindrical light beams from clouds?

Yep, mini tutorial would be great !!!!

head wax said:

This is in honour of  Alfred P. Southwick (1826–1898) inventor of the Electric Chair.

From the wiki 'Albert was a steam-boat engineer, dentist and inventor from Buffalo, New York.

He is credited with inventing the electric chair as a method of legal execution.

He was also a professor at the University of Buffalo school of dental medicine, now known as the State University of New York at Buffalo.

The chap in the chair is  William Kemmler according to wiki the first person to be legally executed by electrocution. (not sure why legally is in there)

Used Wireframe Pro and also Shaders Weaver for the clothes . http://www.des-web.net/html/weave.html

I rendered it out with a spherical camera to get that distortion. The wireframe pro doent obey carrara's spherical cameras so I used it in a different kind of overlay than I expected.

The electric chair is from sharecg made by Evil Clown - modified in places to get things to fit. 

Electrifying (sorry devildevildevil)

Selina said:

Hello Selina, if you have time to do a few more tutorials they would be greatly appreciated for us trying to cram in as much as we can on the DCG goodies !!!!

Bunyip02 said:
    Selina said:

Hello Selina, if you have time to do a few more tutorials they would be greatly appreciated for us trying to cram in as much as we can on the DCG goodies !!!!

PS - Would love to see you join as well !!!!

Getting a jump on Halloween, HW?  A masterful work.  If you don't enter this, I will complain to the moderators. smiley

ha ha it's probably against tos as it is - thanks for the compliments 

Bunyip02 saideth:

Electrifying (sorry devildevildevil)

Heh, thanks!, wait till I do the one with the hot poker ......  yes be careful of that outback water

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    head wax said:

Another great pionner, Guillotin:laugh

Musée Carnavalet [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

dangerous man :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,084
    edited September 2018

Andrew, I am just blown away by the electric chair image.  Haunting in every good sense of the term.

----

This was a quick doodle that I wasn't going to enter, and then I changed my mind.  Tribute to that great pioneer of film comedy, Buster Keaton.  

- Required DCG plugin is the shoestring shader for the tires, of which I will post a screenshot of the dispalcement channel.

- I also used Philemo's GMIC plugin for the BW film filter.

- Content credits include Oskarsson's Slapstick character and clothes, and the Daz Original am 36 sedan.

buster keaton entry.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 124K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited September 2018

And here are the associated screenshots of scene setup etc..  Normally, I ask for suggestions and try to incorporate the great constructive criticism offered, but I am not going to save this file.  Wont be able to make changes, except in post.  Like I said, it started as just a quick doodle for stress release because I have a lot going on this weekend.

And you can see the original at about the 30 second mark.  If you need a chuckle, watch the whole thing.

jj01 buster keaton setup.JPG
    1633 x 915 - 168K
    jj02 shoestring shader in displacement channl.JPG
    1906 x 931 - 188K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814
    head wax said:

wow... that's shocking surprise

for the fella in the chair!
    Awesome render

Diomede said:

And here are the associated screenshots of scene setup etc..  Normally, I ask for suggestions and try to incorporate the great constructive criticism offered, but I am not going to save this file.  Wont be able to make changes, except in post.  Like I said, it started as just a quick doodle for stress release because I have a lot going on this weekend.

And you can see the original at about the 30 second mark.  If you need a chuckle, watch the whole thing.

Love these ones... great work @diomede .. always love your stuff smiley

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814
    edited September 2018

Here's one a bit different to my others...

Curiosity Rover Pioneering Space to explore Mars... 

Used DCG Star Bright. Modelled the gun and UFO from my collection of Wacky stuff. Kit bashed Genesis into a Marvin the Martian. Curiosity Rover is from Renderosity. Landscape is moonscapes from the store.

RoverWiP.jpg
    1504 x 766 - 199K
    Rover.png
    800 x 600 - 410K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • head wax said:

head wax said:

The reason "legally" is stressed, is because that the US Constitution has a clause against cruel and unusual punishment. Some would argue that the death penalty is cruel and unusual. My home state of Wisconsin does not allow the death penalty for state crimes. It has no jursidiction over federal crimes. The courts in New York would have had to find the electric chair to not cruel or unusual punishment, and then an appeal would have probably been made to the US Supreme court, with justices finding that it was not cruel and unusual. Thus making it a legal form of government execution. Later it was probably overturned, with lethal injection gaining favor as being less cruel.

Another wacky gem, Stezza.  Love it.  Excellent kitbashing to get a wonderful Marvin costume.  That Marvin must be the center for the Martian basketball team.  Bugs Bunny would be a little more respectful.  wink   Thanks for your comment on mine.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited September 2018

Some screen caps of my lighting, the shader work, and plugins.

This screen shot shows the lighting I set up in the cabin of the ship.

This shows what it looks like:

I also used light linking to provide highlights without shadows from other objects interfering with them. It is good to be careful and judicious doing this, because the lighting must be justified and not look as if it does not belong. The examples below show two lights that I used on the A3 model. I also used the same techmique on the H3 model.

For plugins, I used Fake Fresnel to provide a better highlight on the nylons that A3 is wearing. I used it in the glow channel.

I also used Light Mangler to help add map driven SSS to the A3 character. BTW, I'm using the Mulberry character.

The planet consists of three spheres. The center sphere represents the planet surface, and the next two spheres are each slightly larger than the last, and represent the cloud layer and the "atmosphere" respectively.

The planet surface sphere is textured without plugins. I used color gradients and fractal noise in the color channel and then copied to the Highlight channel and bump channel.

The cloud layer is a high resolution NASA image map of earth's clouds. I used the alpha channel, Bump channel and Translucency channel.

The "atmosphere" uses Fake Fresnel in the Alpha channel and the Glow channel.

I'll put up another post explaining my postwork later.

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.46.05 PM.png
    3342 x 1658 - 843K
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.47.22 PM.png
    480 x 702 - 62K
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.46.34 PM.png
    4006 x 1772 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.46.45 PM.png
    4012 x 1846 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.50.25 PM.png
    3068 x 1494 - 598K
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.55.23 PM.png
    3274 x 1488 - 879K
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.56.56 PM.png
    3274 x 1486 - 842K
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 2.00.53 PM.png
    3218 x 1430 - 482K
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.59.28 PM.png
    3226 x 1446 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on

Thanks for the detailed explanations, EP.  I always learn a lot from your contributions.

Our Carrara PA sponsor this month is DimensionTheory!  

After a life of composing music, Jeffrey Felt (DimensionTheory) found his way into the computer art world in 2004 as another means of artistic expression after his discovery of a program called ‘Carrara’. Starting small and keeping strong focus on the techniques he needed to work on has made him what he is today. He believes that addressing shortcomings with the help of an awesome community in turn makes all things possible. With this in mind his love of the industry has grown, and continues to grow with each new render

As the PA sponsor of Challenge #42,  DimensionTheory is donating an item from his store.

His great HDRIs, Clouds, Clouds domes and Light Gels sets are very famous.

Many thanks to  DimensionTheory for sponsoring this Carrara Challenge.

edited September 2018

Diomede - your quick doodle is great, glad you are going to enter it.

Stezza - Bugs & Marvin was one of my favourite cartoons - love your fun entry

EP - thanks for educating us, always lots to learn from you, your renders are always great inspiration as well

Me - had some fun and games with WirePro on my shuttle, did a work-through with some post-work but did not like the effect so I am sticking with just using ToonPro on my render

WireFrame pass of the shuttle showing how a large part of the shuttle is askew, if anyone knows what is going wrong and how to fix it please let me know. I also did a WireFrame of the Wright flyer, but who-ever did the model went crazy with replicating every second thread in the canvas wings - came out as a mass of blue.

Postwork carried out before I ditched it.

Final ToonPro render that I am happy with.

78 Years - 1 WirePro1b.png
    2400 x 1280 - 896K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

New scene - Horsepower

Henry Ford mass produced the Model-T car, being credited with (or blamed) for mass production and consumerism.

Scene setup - will try ToonPro on the scene and WireFrame Pro on the Model-T

• the Octane light cone cloud for those who wanted it

it may not load if you dont have OR4C 3

zip
    zip
    Octane light cone.zip

Combination of Toon! partIII and ToonPro

WireFrame Pro

Postwork in PSP. Added the WireFrame as a layer with reduced % Normal overlay, then edited the arms & hands of the driver.

Final combination. Time for a sleep, will have another look at it tomorrow.

th3Digit said:

the Octane light cone cloud for those who wanted it

it may not load if you dont have OR4C 3

Thanks Wendy

Extended the dates as I forgot to open entry thread in time (I suppose I was sleeping cheeky)

- Entry thread closes, voting begins - Sep 30, 2018, 23:00, Mountain Standard Time, US.

- Voting thread closes - Oct 7, 2018, 23:00, Mountain Standard Time, US.

• Alberto said:

Our Carrara PA sponsor this month is DimensionTheory!  

After a life of composing music, Jeffrey Felt (DimensionTheory) found his way into the computer art world in 2004 as another means of artistic expression after his discovery of a program called ‘Carrara’. Starting small and keeping strong focus on the techniques he needed to work on has made him what he is today. He believes that addressing shortcomings with the help of an awesome community in turn makes all things possible. With this in mind his love of the industry has grown, and continues to grow with each new render

As the PA sponsor of Challenge #42,  DimensionTheory is donating an item from his store.

His great HDRIs, Clouds, Clouds domes and Light Gels sets are very famous.

Many thanks to  DimensionTheory for sponsoring this Carrara Challenge.

Thanks for letting us know, Alberto.  And thanks to DimensionTheory for stepping up as PA sponsor!