SereneNight's Sci-Fi Fun Thread 2

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
edited September 2018 in Art Studio

Its thread 2 time. I couldn't think of a good name, so we are going to be boring....

Post edited by Serene Night on

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited September 2018

Terrence Flipped Hair.

New release. Solid male hairline. Like the stray whisps and the nape. Not sure it's Owen's style, or maybe I'm just used to his regular style.

Flip2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

I'd been avoiding that one because Neftis' recent hairs are all very heavyweight in the workspace without having much in the way of morphs for motion, even with long floppy hair like that. But that does look very nice, and it has the best hairline of her recent ones.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Ohai, you've got the new thread up!  laugh *Settles in to watch scantily dressed men save the universe.* 

edited September 2018

Well we have Freak... aka Brute..He’s stylized like the rest of the recent male releases. 

A lot of fantasy in this set, which isn’t my cup of tea, but there are two contemporary outfits. I preferred the last freak outfit selections. But they seem to be combining outfits that Gianni might wear with the usual freak criminal villain larger than life guy garb.

I wish more attention had been paid to the suspenders in the lumberjack outfit they cling to the abs like fly paper and that could’ve looked really cool.. Also the pants in several clothing sets and the way they fit in this set. The hairs look useful, and for a guy this big the hd add on seems mandatory, too bad it costs extra. 

The bundled deals aren’t as good for me as they may before other buyers as I already own many weapons and combat poses so what remains is female or older stuff.  I guess I would’ve preferred some of the offers for the ladies since I don’t own a lot of pro bundles, butyou cant please everyone, but the offers aren’t going to give me much contemporary content since I own most of that already,

Overall I’m not overwhelmed but some content looks useful

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Well we have Freak... aka Brute..He’s stylized like the rest of the recent male releases. 

A lot of fantasy in this set, which isn’t my cup of tea, but there are two contemporary outfits. I preferred the last freak outfit selections. But they seem to be combining outfits that Gianni might wear with the usual freak criminal villain larger than life guy garb.

I wish more attention had been paid to the suspenders in the lumberjack outfit they cling to the abs like fly paper and that could’ve looked really cool.. Also the pants in several clothing sets and the way they fit in this set. The hairs look useful, and for a guy this big the hd add on seems mandatory, too bad it costs extra,

The bundled deals aren’t as good for me as they may before other buyers as I already own many weapons and combat poses so what remains is female or older stuff.  I guess I would’ve preferred some of the offers for the ladies since I don’t own a lot of pro bundles, butyou cant please everyone.

Overall I’m not overwhelmed but some content looks useful

I liked the characters, hair, & clothing but I could actually already 'kitbash' every bit of it, laugh, which I guess is sort of a hint I've bought enough and don't need that pro bundle even with $90 of freebies. So instead I bought the character Brute 8 & Mister Rubble (no, not Barney Rubble, more like The Thing from the Fantastic Four). I'm pretty excited to have a 'Thing'-like character.

• Congrats on thread two!

I thought about that flip hair, but passed it up only because I keep seeing the main villan from Bladerunner with the plastic dome on his head every time I looked over that hair.  While it could be useful, none of my males would wanna wear it. (the voices in my head doth protest)

edited September 2018

Thanks, it feels weird to be making a new thread but all good things come to an end I guess.   =-)

The hair has a combover quality which I’m  not sure I like and it needs more styles to make it useful. Hair cut like that is going to move and this does not have much movement to it so it will be kinda helmety.

I'm somewhat disappointed all the hair for brute is so fiber mesh looking. Will see how the guys look wearing it.

• Mr. Rubbles files are huge. 4 files of nearly 750 MB for 1 character. I would've prefered another human.

edited September 2018

Here's Owen wearing the Rival outfit with textures from the expansion set. I like this set. The sunglasses are nice, love the shirt and the necklace. Had some pokethorugh on the pants- nothing major, and one shoe clipped the leg. Easy fixes, the outfit has adjustments to take care of most issues you might encounter. Nice work.

rival.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 859K
  • Terrence Flipped Hair.

New release. Solid male hairline. Like the stray whisps and the nape. Not sure it's Owen's style, or maybe I'm just used to his regular style.

I didn't pay too much attention to this one when it came out, but your renders are making me rethink it.

edited September 2018

It was a good deal...Like 6 bucks when I got it. Its a nice futuristic doo.

I find the nape of that hairline very sexy. I also like the angle better from the flipped side. The hairs at the combed over side, where they meet the scalp are very dark, and so draw the eye. I would lighten it a bit for a light colored person to see if it would look less severe. Overall, I think its a solid purchase.

edited September 2018

Boyd in the lumberjack outfit with the Greyson Hair.  I like the green shirt, and the reinforced panels on the jeans.

lumber.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

The one thing that puzzles me about the Brute bundle is why you would have two fibermesh buzzcuts in the same bundle. They're not so different that they really make sense in the bundles.

There was enough of a circular price break on the bundle and stuff that I thought it was worth getting. (Although I didn't read the offers carefully enough, or I'd have gotten more of the older stuff.) And I did get the HD, since he's got the sort of definition that would benefit from it.

Boyd in the lumberjack outfit with the Greyson Hair.  I like the green shirt, and the reinforced panels on the jeans.

suits him but I can't stand how braces cling to the torso, they all do just not that product

• vwrangler said:

The one thing that puzzles me about the Brute bundle is why you would have two fibermesh buzzcuts in the same bundle. They're not so different that they really make sense in the bundles.

There was enough of a circular price break on the bundle and stuff that I thought it was worth getting. (Although I didn't read the offers carefully enough, or I'd have gotten more of the older stuff.) And I did get the HD, since he's got the sort of definition that would benefit from it.

Yes. I really would’ve like another non buzzcut hair as well. Making short hair like that is not as easy as it seems.  It requires attention to the shape of the male scalp and some variety to the fiber mesh or it looks like grass not hair.

Boyd in the lumberjack outfit with the Greyson Hair.  I like the green shirt, and the reinforced panels on the jeans

suits him but I can't stand how braces cling to the torso, they all do just not that product

Yes. I really would like some non clingy suspenders. They did do it in this product https://www.daz3d.com/dynamic-modern-clothes-for-hercules-and-swole-7. But just couldn’t get it to work on gen 8 male.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Congrats on the second thread!  

I really don't like the Lumberjack outfit, from the waist down, it is too plastered to the body. Overalls are supposed to be comfy and those just look fake to me. The sleeves have no cuffs?  

• They shrank in the wash?

edited September 2018

So a friend encouraged me to mess around with making a small comic book of Owen and Boy'ds life.

I am still messing around with the tools, but it seems quite fun. This is just a test. Boyd should be wet, and Owen should have a shirt that says Marines....

upload.jpg
    2550 x 3300 - 6M

So a friend encouraged me to mess around with making a small comic book of Owen and Boy'ds life.

I am still messing around with the tools, but it seems quite fun. This is just a test. Boyd should be wet, and Owen should have a shirt that says Marines....

The dialogue is comic book corny so that's good. I like it, what tool are you using?

• Comic life 3. Just messing around. Seems pretty versatile.

• Here's Owen wearing the Rival outfit with textures from the expansion set. I like this set. The sunglasses are nice, love the shirt and the necklace. Had some pokethorugh on the pants- nothing major, and one shoe clipped the leg. Easy fixes, the outfit has adjustments to take care of most issues you might encounter. Nice work.

Congrats on thread two!  Still trying to catch up.  the pose and expression on him is perfect!  Very very well done

The comic book is great!  I keep syaing you should write a book, if you want to do comic wise I'm good with that lol.

edited September 2018

I have always enjoyed comics ever since I was a child. My stories are very complex though and I'm not sure how well they will fit into small amounts of dialog on a page. But I will try a few scenes and see how I like them. It certainly will be fun to do less dialog intensive scenes.

Also Boyd spends most of the initial series as a brain inside a robotic shell. I'm not sure how interesting that is to people visually.

It is somewhat neccessary though to show that Owen and Boyd have a deep attachment even prior to Boyd getting embodied It makes the transition to human more interesting.

edited September 2018

Graphicriver has a grandtheft auto photoshop action which allows you to vectorize your characters to create a style similar to the game. https://graphicriver.net/item/grand-theft-photoshop-actions/22584424?s_rank=1

I was intrigued by this, so I picked it up.

Tips on use.

1. It seems to require an early version of photoshop creative cloud. I got it to work completely in CC 2015. My current version 2017 throws an error. You can still use it, but the oilpaint option does not work.

2. The picture needs to be big, when rendered, but I wouldn't waste time with fancy lighting. When it is vectorized it will remove details. Instead I'd render it large, or the outline will be too big around your figure.

3. Create a canvas layer so that you can easily cover your protagonist in the brush phase. If you brush manually you will need to spend a lot of time on this. If you create a canvas layer, save as png for the main character then you can select the white space, invert it and fill it with color to create a layer for the action to work. This will make a nice crisp edge which you need, because of the strong outline in blank. If you don't create a crisp edge the outline will look lame if it covers something unwanted.

4. Put an urban photo from morguefile, or another free site. The background will have a lot of detail removed anyway.

vector.jpg
    2800 x 3200 - 2M
    edited September 2018

More fun with vectors. =-)

vectors-0.jpg
    3600 x 3600 - 6M
  • I like that style!

• Me too. I am going to play more with it.

edited September 2018

Here's another. Hmm. This is a fun style. I like it.

vector2.jpg
    2400 x 2743 - 4M
  • So new male figure is Vladimir 8. Interesting.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,137

Those new renders are interesting.

• I really like that style, it's very cool.