Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

That one does look great!

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited August 2013

This scene I call "Dismal coast". What do you think of the rain? A bit cartoonlike, but IMHO quite well.

BTW I tried to "pimp up" the material for the water. I have used "Lake Water" of "Water surfaces" in "Pro Materials" and tried to add circles how you can see it made by raindrops. (There is a water material "raindrops"). But I could not achive a mixture of both materials. The "raindrops" had a part of other structure, wavelike structure, in it, which changed the whole character of "Lake water". And because you can only have on bump value for both textures you can not directly make a smoothe transition in the Material Lab, except maybe in the DTE. Sometimes I would find the possibility to mix two materials quite handy. Maybe in the next version of Bryce

@Rareth: That's a amazing metal material.

dismal_coast2.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 305K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2013

Rareth said:
    In Depth Metal Material Tutorial

I agree that has turned out wonderfully, shape, material and lighting, all work together. If there was anything I would suggest, at the risk of giving your CPU a nervous breakdown, maybe... DOF?

electro-elvis, yes the ability to blend two materials... I think maybe I've requested something like that.

As for the rain. Well this is a very difficult effect to achieve and I think you've given the right impression. Of course you don't really ever see rain like this. You don't really see rain at all normally, it is the wetting effect, the sound and the smell being as much a part of the experience as the change in light and the presence of rain drops, all you can do is provide as many clues as you can. I think it has worked.

My own experiments continue. Here I've offset high bumpyness with overdriven diffuse effect. To create what I hope looks like little clusters of trees.

Edit second version, rendering much faster, uses more extreme effects and only one terrain (instead of 2). The effect I don't think is as nice, but it is considerably more efficient.

Just_bump1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 440K
    Extreme_diff_bump2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 360K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited August 2013

Sorry for the late reply.
    Thank you very much Horo for HDR advice . I will test/apply very very soon, at the moment i took a short break from bryce, renderings and other 3d stuff , i/m trying to finish the "Republic" campaign from Caesar IV (building strategy game) to unlock the "Empire" campaign :) and enjoying a slice of melon :d.It's the season of melons,watermelons , hmmm this would be an idea for Bryce renders or bryce contest (in fact, melons or watermelons from the fridge are considered refreshing over the summer heat-the subject of actual bryce contest , a scene with a melon or watermelon ready to eat on the table :)

Yes , Dosch design sells hdr expensive but looking the Space pack seems are made using the Universe creator .With patience ,better images can be created with that Universe creator or in Photoshop with some lens flares , also David Brinnen's HDR pack from Daz shop looks 1000 times more better than Dosch Space HDR .

My opinion: The Dosch SPACE HDR pack is not worth the money :) not even half of the price.

Additional note: if admin sees my opinion as offensive to the dosch space pack can delete my last phrase :)

Post edited by cris333 on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

David and Horo thank you for your comments, I learned a lot from that tutorial,

David the overdriven diffuse experiment looks very promising, I hope there is a tutorial "soon"?

Here is the Metal with DoF, its not cpu intensive as I did not use any transparency in doing the material

Rusted-Pitted-Metal2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 625K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited August 2013

@David: That first image is really interesting. It almost reminds me of gills. The hills and valley image is really impressive. I can see that place as a hikers challenge. The other two ground images are nice looking as well.

@Rareth: The first crater image is really nice, and the affect of having the blimp within the image really gives size to the crater. The metal you achieved in those other two images is extremely impressive.

@cris: Dismal is right. But good results.

Edit: My eyes are so trying to control my brain I almost forgot to post my latest progress on The Leaning Tower of Pisa. The final part is the top level, the one with both large and small bells. Getting the negative objectives in place for the bell openings was a bit of a challenge, but it was solved in the end. The only material talked about in the tutorial is for the brick slab, so I had to guess about the rest. As Horo pointed out in a previous post, the bricks look to large for the size of the other parts, but I'm hoping once everything is assembled this level will also look better. The only thing left to complete this top level is the railing and large bells. I'll also have to tweak the material for the column pillars as you can see in the image.

Top_Level_5.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

David the overdriven diffuse experiment looks very promising, I hope there is a tutorial "soon"?

Here is the Metal with DoF, its not cpu intensive as I did not use any transparency in doing the material

Something amiss with your DOF setting. Maybe you have excluded the HDRI backdrop from the effect with the option in the IBL tab? The object and the background I would not expect to be in focus at the same time as they appear here.

As for overdriven diffuse, it already exists. Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Extreme diffuse response - by David Brinnen

I just turned the diffuse up with this function to compensate for the high level of bump employed (800). So the treetops showed up.

edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - nice work. Rain is indeed very difficult to get right. Water is essentially tranparent, i.e. invisible, but with the refraction there is some reflecting effect. I've attempted several times to photograph a downpour. It depends on the background whether you see the streak (the length of which depends on the exposure time), or not.

cris333 said:
    Yes , Dosch design sells hdr expensive but looking the Space pack seems are made using the Universe creator .With patience ,better images can be created with that Universe creator or in Photoshop with some lens flares , also David Brinnen's HDR pack from Daz shop looks 1000 times more better than Dosch Space HDR .

Thank you for your kind words about our Deep Space HDRI products.

@GussNemo - you progress nicely.

edited August 2013

Continuing to fiddle with my woodlands material. I've added in some fields and modified the bump response. For a more aesthetic image, I've added in the cloud from the Big Sur image that comes with Bryce 7.1 and tweeked the final contrast in PSP8 after adding a lot of haze. Render time 11 minutes. Click on the image to see full size if you are curious how the fields turned out, I've tried to hatch them with little tracks and furrows procedurally.

Edit. Another variation - and another

Edit a bit like Lincolnshire - but with better roads and an improved standard of living.

Just_bump24.jpg
    850 x 850 - 359K
    Just_bump14.jpg
    850 x 850 - 347K
    Just_bump8.jpg
    850 x 850 - 390K
    Just_bump7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 348K
    Just_bump6.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 370K
    edited August 2013

Fields turned out nice. What are those two sharp lines in the first render?

EDIT: The third looks promising - different trees in the forest.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited August 2013

Horo said:
    Fields turned out nice. What are those two sharp lines in the first render?

EDIT: The third looks promising - different trees in the forest.

Thanks, yeah I'm going to say either tall hedgerows or roads? Certainly not Lincolnshire roads! We don't have many straight roads. The fields though are chopped up with fairly straight hedges.

Oh, some more fields.

Edit, more woods and woods - and speaking of roads and paths...

Now with added suburbs and more roads.

Just_bump13.jpg
    850 x 850 - 404K
    Just_bump12.jpg
    850 x 850 - 340K
    Just_bump11.jpg
    850 x 850 - 328K
    Just_bump10.jpg
    850 x 850 - 361K
    Just_bump9.jpg
    850 x 850 - 344K
    edited December 1969

The second and third look quite promising, quite natural though the white things in the second are a bit strange. The fourth - it looks almost like there were conglomerates of residential houses with some trees in the garden. The last one is also very nice with the rock shining through the vegetation. The first is nice, too, but perhaps the colours are a bit harsh, it has almost a toon-like appearance.

edited August 2013

Horo said:
    The second and third look quite promising, quite natural though the white things in the second are a bit strange. The fourth - it looks almost like there were conglomerates of residential houses with some trees in the garden. The last one is also very nice with the rock shining through the vegetation. The first is nice, too, but perhaps the colours are a bit harsh, it has almost a toon-like appearance.

Thanks Horo, yes I was going for chalk hills effect http://www.wildlifebcn.org/reserves/blows-downs That's the white bits. Or supposed to be.

Here's a more urbanny one.

Edit and some scrub.

Just_bump19.jpg
    850 x 850 - 394K
    Just_bump18.jpg
    850 x 850 - 375K
    Just_bump17.jpg
    850 x 850 - 358K
    Just_bump16.jpg
    850 x 850 - 369K
    Just_bump15.jpg
    850 x 850 - 365K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Something amiss with your DOF setting. Maybe you have excluded the HDRI backdrop from the effect with the option in the IBL tab? The object and the background I would not expect to be in focus at the same time as they appear here.

As for overdriven diffuse, it already exists. Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Extreme diffuse response - by David Brinnen

I just turned the diffuse up with this function to compensate for the high level of bump employed (800). So the treetops showed up.

not sure why the HDRI backdrop is in focus, I didn't mess with any of the include/exclude features.. the IBL Background DOF slider is at 100 changing it did not appear to have any effect. so I am not sure where the disconnect is.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

not sure why the HDRI backdrop is in focus, I didn't mess with any of the include/exclude features.. the IBL Background DOF slider is at 100 changing it did not appear to have any effect. so I am not sure where the disconnect is.

Let us have a look at your render option settings. Maybe the clue is there.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

Let us have a look at your render option settings. Maybe the clue is there.

here they are

metalDof-RO.jpg
    667 x 349 - 78K
    edited August 2013

Rareth,

Well, I would have thought your lens radius was large enough and are focused fairly close to the camera, I would have expected to see the background out of focus. If you use very large lens radiuses say 1 or 10. Do you see any effect on the background?

Here, Peak District. The white blobs are exposed gritstone and the purple brown stuff is a mixture of bracken and heather.

Edit and some houses in the valley. And then some more Peak.

Just_bump25.jpg
    850 x 850 - 366K
    Just_bump23.jpg
    850 x 850 - 363K
    Just_bump22.jpg
    850 x 850 - 381K
    Just_bump21.jpg
    850 x 850 - 384K
    Just_bump20.jpg
    850 x 850 - 357K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

This control was added to balance DOF of the objects in the scene with the HDRI backdrop. You have to balance the Lens Radius with the Background DOF setting for the HDRI.
    edited August 2013

Having another little go with one of Cris333's craters from the kit http://www.sharecg.com/v/70849/view/5/3D-Model/Craters-Construction-Kit

Another_of_Chris333s_craters.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 442K
    edited December 1969

Having another little go with one of Cris333's craters from the kit http://www.sharecg.com/v/70849/view/5/3D-Model/Craters-Construction-Kit

very very nice...

I'm still trying to work out how you did the extreme diffuse to drive bump thing. the extreme diffuse I get, played that tutorial a few times already.

edited August 2013

Rareth said:

very very nice...

I'm still trying to work out how you did the extreme diffuse to drive bump thing. the extreme diffuse I get, played that tutorial a few times already.

Thanks, no the extreme diffuse just allows the diffuse to be overdriven, which in turn lets more extreme forms of bump to be used, where mostly extreme bump (when very noisy) might just turn the surface almost black (due to the extreme position of the virtual normals no longer being in a position to "see" the light sources). You can just use the function though to drive the bump, that's where the "velvet" effect - actually Rashad was right, it's more "satin" - effect comes in. This twists the normals right out of kilter and causes weird lighting on seemingly flat surfaces. As with all extreme effects, it's always fiddly to set up, the usual ranges were chosen because for the most part they work under all conditions. As soon as you move beyond the expected levels, things tend to stop working very easily.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

very very nice...

Thanks, no the extreme diffuse just allows the diffuse to be overdriven, which in turn lets more extreme forms of bump to be used, where mostly extreme bump (when very noisy) might just turn the surface almost black (due to the extreme position of the virtual normals no longer being in a position to "see" the light sources). You can just use the function though to drive the bump, that's where the "velvet" effect - actually Rashad was right, it's more "satin" - effect comes in. This twists the normals right out of kilter and causes weird lighting on seemingly flat surfaces. As with all extreme effects, it's always fiddly to set up, the usual ranges were chosen because for the most part they work under all conditions. As soon as you move beyond the expected levels, things tend to stop working very easily.

ah well I was looking for a way to get treetop clusters without having to resort to multiple trees or volumetrics,

edited August 2013

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

very very nice...

ah well I was looking for a way to get treetop clusters without having to resort to multiple trees or volumetrics,

This then is a good way. Use one of the squared voroni functions in a multi-fractal mode, say about 4 octives and invert your bump to convert from craters to domes and this gives a fairly acceptable tree top as seen from a distance. Remember you can type in bump values in excess of size 100 (+/-) and then if it looks too dark, boost the diffuse (or turn up the sunlight). Either way will work.

edited August 2013

@David: I am watching with great interest your attempts with this compartmentalized terrains. I made a few experiments by myself with terrains, that looked like fields and forests, but yours look much more convincing.

@Guss: I am eager to see your whole Pisa Tower

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Today's little doodle.

StoneCircleALT.jpg
    1075 x 707 - 310K
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

Today's little doodle.

That's a very well composed image.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited August 2013

@David: Really like the results you're getting with those terrains. They all look as though they're aerial shots.

@Dave: Nice doodle. Where'd I put my parka?

@electro: Funny you should mention that.

Below is the finished top level. Like the other two levels I had to do a bit of tweaking because someone didn't proofread their document before posting it. The next image is the assembled levels, with a 5 degree rotation on the 'X' axis. Now to add other bits and pieces to get a complete scene.

Note to Horo: As you can see the size of the bricks evened out when everything was assembled. Still, if a closeup scene was created they might once again be a problem. If I can assemble the image forming in my mind they won't be a problem.

Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa.png
    810 x 810 - 874K
    Top_Level.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited August 2013

@Guss: Your Pisa tower came out very well. That's a great Bryce model. For the wall texture: looks quite fine to me. If you like I can send you a wall material that I made. It is rather for rough stone walls, but maybe you can turn it into a more marble-like look.

@Dave: Nine wizards built a circle in order to create a stone golem, but they failed tragically? (You see, I have no clue at all ;-)

edited December 1969

@Dave - your little doodle - is it Microstonehenge? Beaurtiful render.

@GussNemo - congratulations on your accomplishment.

edited August 2013

Dave, the doodle looks very good, nice contrast and detail in the foreground.

Jamie, well done on the modeling front. You've done will to stick at it and complete the task. What next?

Oh from me. A change of focus. After distant terrains, now it's time to move in. I'm leaving Horo to battle with the tree lab. The thing keeps crashing on me and doing odd things and generally annoying. So instead I'm expanding on my grass generation techniques. Here's the results of my researches so far. Render time is not too horrendous - but it's not what you would call quick.

3 minutes 42 for this 850 x 850 image.

Baselayer6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 580K
This discussion has been closed.