Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I've been playing with David's tute Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - using the DTE as a geometry synthesis tool - by David Brinnen. Mine needs yet a bit of work.

Cool, also nice work Rareth. Although I have to say that Octane does give you a lot of render engine for your money. A graphics card and a licence cost less that the original asking price of Bryce 5!

Here's another Octane render of a Bryce created geometry. No postworks, this is all native Octane except for the Bryce object.

Phase_sculpture4_pt2.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 295K
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited August 2013

@ David and Horo
    Thank you for feedback, i'm glad you find it cool and i hope you'll have fun/enjoy with the pack. Patience is required to fit/assemble more than 1 map but with a cool (maybe plain) texture i'm sure you can achieve great results.Flattening is recommended to reduce erosion strength if needed or to align horizontally faster the maps/terrains .
    Start to align horizontally with a default/dark texture then when you done, copy and paste the material from the others maps.This will speed up your work.

about the chinese mountains :O
    David you did it .Wow.You are a master. I thought the only way to get that realistic material/texture without affecting the erosion channels is to "cheat" it by painting it with stamps/samples in a sculpting program :).And that's because on most strata mats from Bryce when applying them looks like these are "hiding"/spoils the erosion channels.

I like your last render David ,that entity/drone materialized :) from another dimension or from the future :). It's shiny with an attractive shape but i don't want to stay in its way or to see it materializing near me in bedroom haha.
    Has something to do with Clive Barker's Hellraiser (one of my favorite horror movies) ? haha i'm joking :D. Because that soft reddish ambient makes me think to flesh/hellraiser :) .Some chains coming out from that thing are missing :)

In other words, i thought my imagination is very big lol but yours is impressive :) .

Post edited by cris333 on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@cris333, if you are looking for multiple ways to modify part of a terrain without affecting another part, possibly another way might be to copy the terrain (once completely done with it) and modify the copy to just barely stick through in some places but not in others.
    This has a few obvious huge drawbacks, such as not being able to edit the original terrain again unless you want to completely redo the 2nd terrain from scratch, and of course having twice as many polygons as a single terrain. However it might allow you to easily make a few modifications that would be difficult or impossible with just the single terrain.

edited August 2013

Hi Sean,
    I'm not sure i understand , i don't know to what kind of modification you mean, the only or perhaps the easiest/fastest way to modify (to make it more soft) a crater made by me, in bryce i found it is the flattening which soften the crater if the erosion is to heavy.
    Of course i don't want to get more polygons, nobody likes to many polygons, specially the games designers :).

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@cris333 - I did play a bit with the craters this morning. They are great. Yes, it has always been a bit of a problem to get the ratio of the surface size and the height right.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Lovely work from everyone.

Guss – congrats you made it to the 2nd level of the Pisa tower, I gave up after I had problems with the middle level.

My attempt with David’s DTE geometry, a mix and match as David with say as I used different tips from various tutorials to render this scene.

dte-geo1.jpg
    500 x 500 - 17K
    edited August 2013

Horo said:
    @cris333 - I did play a bit with the craters this morning. They are great. Yes, it has always been a bit of a problem to get the ratio of the surface size and the height right.

Thank you, to speed up the work progress and working with my pack i saw that aligning first with a default/dark texture then apply (copy and paste) the material from the others craters it helps a lot to see if the borders are completely buried under the ground.Also flatten a bit the crater will help.
    For everyone who try these craters, do not copy and past the final material first,use a default or dark terrain material to align/fit the terrain, this can make the borders/corners more easily visible if are properly buried under the ground.

edited August 2013

OK, I've had a bit of a play.

Chris333's http://www.sharecg.com/v/70849/view/5/3D-Model/Craters-Construction-Kit

Our http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-deep-space-hdri-2

Plus a wide angle lens http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-lenses-and-filters

Render time, under two minutes. Please view full size to enjoy the detail of the crater terrain. Thank's Chris!

Edit. Oh yes, I like s/f horror films, particularly those featuring monsters from other dimensions.

Edit, edit. The beauty of Octane is that I can render GPU and still use Bryce at the same time. This is what was cooking in the background while I was playing with the craters.

Edit, edit, edit. And another Bryce/Octane mashup, using the same process.

Phase_sculpture6.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 210K
    Phase_sculpture5.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 228K
    Crater_test1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 310K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Thank you cris333. I'm quite acquainted with terrain tiling. There's always an offset north and east, and its size depends upon the resolution selected. For 512 it is 0.16 BU if I remember correctly. With the Alt-key pressed, that means hitting the appropriate arrow key twice.

edited December 1969

Looks great, David.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

cris333 said:
    Hi Sean,
    I'm not sure i understand , i don't know to what kind of modification you mean, the only or perhaps the easiest/fastest way to modify (to make it more soft) a crater made by me, in bryce i found it is the flattening which soften the crater if the erosion is to heavy.
    Of course i don't want to get more polygons, nobody likes to many polygons, specially the games designers :).

What I meant was to make your terrain, then at the point where you wanted to add more raised detail but didn't want that detail to be added within eroded valleys, you could create a second copy of the terrain, edit this 2nd copy to lower the parts of the terrain that you don't want the raised detail to be visible on, then apply whatever Bryce effect it was that adds the raised detail to the entire 2nd terrain. The detail would stick up through the first terrain in the exact spots where it should, but would be hidden under all the eroded parts where it shouldn't.
    But I forgot you were approaching this from a game designer viwpoint, so yeah, that wouldn't work well as a solution in that case.
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

well I didn't go and get the craters, everyone is talking about, but I did manage to come up with something in Bryce

Blimp-n-Crater2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: All of those images are great. The crater image looks particularly nice. Love the color contrast of the last image.

@mermaid: I also had problems with that middle level. The door wasn't assigned to an obvious place, it was directly behind a column, and not far enough into the wall; placement of the cylinder and cube used to make the arches was misplaced in both location between columns and their length; height of the columns was supposed to be Y=40 but that put the top almost out of the two cylinders used for the arches. Plus I'm not entirely happy with the texture mapping but nothing else looked better. And as Horo pointed out, the brick slabs look too large for the overall structure. I'm hoping they'll look different when all the components are assembled. Top level is next on the list to make.

@Rareth: That's a very nice looking scene. Looking at the larger image the water ripples is spot on, as is the use of haze. Nice work.

edited August 2013

You welcome David, thank you too for feedback.Amazing scene with a cool clear red galaxy :).I don't know how you do it with HDRs but every time i load a HDR even a hi res one made by me , let's say 6000x6000 or 4000x2000, it appears in the scene magnified and blurred.I tried with spherical, longitudinal versions, played with the settings in ibl, i did in the end zoomed out the HDR a bit but still i can't get it very clear and not distorted/blurred.I thought my HDR is not good but i tried with a free sample from DOSCH Design website and same result.Maybe i should search/look for a tutorial how to apply properly a HDR on your youtube channel if there is a video related to this.

Thank you Sean , well i'm a bit forced to see the things from a game designer viewpoint because my computer is not so new and to many polygons can be a pain for me :)

Nice glacier volcano Rareth or crater simulation.

edited August 2013

I also gave it a try with the craters, I used 15 in total. The HDRI is from DS_Sky02 and the Discovery I once found on a 2001 website. The ambient light is from the HDRI and to pronounce the nebua, there is the Bryce sun.

EDIT to add that I used the EWL to create the curved horizon of this small world that has a very thin atmosphere (not breathable).

@cris333 - Dorsch Design sell their HDRIs at quite a price. Their extreme high res are 6250 x 3125 in the spherical projection. My small ones are 8200 x 4100 pixel, the new ones +16000 x +8000 pixels.

The HDRI is mapped on a sphere. Consider it a cylinder of 360°. You have a 6000 pixel wide HDRI, 16 pixels per degree. With a Bryce camera FOV setting of 60° at Scale 100% and a 4:3 aspect ratio, you get 40° horizontally. With 16 pixels per degree, your document must not be wider than 660 pixels - better only half of it - to get the backdrop sharp (assuming that the HDRI is sharp).

Bryce can just about manage a spherical HDRI of around 8400 x 4200. This is still not very much - 23 pixels per degree. With those 40° from above, your max image width is 920 pixels. However, if you use a larger FOV, say 120° at Scale 100% with the 4:3 aspect ratio, you get an horizontal angle of view of 96°. With the 16 pixel per degree from above, your document can get around 1500 pixels wide.

The smaller the HDRI, the wider must FOV be to get an acceptable backdrop.

Moon06.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 151K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I also gave it a try with the craters, I used 15 in total. The HDRI is from DS_Sky02 and the Discovery I once found on a 2001 website. The ambient light is from the HDRI and to pronounce the nebua, there is the Bryce sun.

EDIT to add that I used the EWL to create the curved horizon of this small world that has a very thin atmosphere (not breathable).

@cris333 - Dorsch Design sell their HDRIs at quite a price. Their extreme high res are 6250 x 3125 in the spherical projection. My small ones are 8200 x 4100 pixel, the new ones +16000 x +8000 pixels.

The HDRI is mapped on a sphere. Consider it a cylinder of 360°. You have a 6000 pixel wide HDRI, 16 pixels per degree. With a Bryce camera FOV setting of 60° at Scale 100% and a 4:3 aspect ratio, you get 40° horizontally. With 16 pixels per degree, your document must not be wider than 660 pixels - better only half of it - to get the backdrop sharp (assuming that the HDRI is sharp).

Bryce can just about manage a spherical HDRI of around 8400 x 4200. This is still not very much - 23 pixels per degree. With those 40° from above, your max image width is 920 pixels. However, if you use a larger FOV, say 120° at Scale 100% with the 4:3 aspect ratio, you get an horizontal angle of view of 96°. With the 16 pixel per degree from above, your document can get around 1500 pixels wide.

The smaller the HDRI, the wider must FOV be to get an acceptable backdrop.

Nice!! very nice indeed

edited December 1969

An Experiment

craters need more work.

Bryce-space1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 452K
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 232
    edited August 2013

ARGGGHHHH!

Just when I thought I was getting good enough to spot a fake from a mile away, I end up seeing this....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/rainbow-mountains-china-danxia-landform_n_3683840.html?ncid=webmail20

I think...I think I've just about seen it all now. I'm currently trying to imagine how in the heck I would even re-create this effect in Bryce. One thing is certain and that is that even of I could get it to look correct it would still look fake as heck. Crazy no?

If I were to write a new creation story for the world, I'd say that when God was a baby his Daddy let him play with water colors and clay and he came up with these crazy looking mountains. He showed the mountains to his Daddy who then gave out young master a lesson on coloring within the lines. God grew up, took over the throne, decided to finish making the world he started as a kid. But now God knows how to color within the lines, so sorry, no more crazy ranges like this anywhere else in the world. I mean, what other explanation could there be?

Those images do not represent the real colours of the place pictured, they are heavily manipulated, and here's a link to some images that show what the place really looks like: Real images of the rainbow mountains of China.

Post edited by Fire Angel on
    edited December 1969

Hi all, it's been longer than I intended since I posted here due to pressure of work. However at last I've started a new Bryce image project and here's the current state of this image:

On-The-Move-Stage-03.jpg
    1876 x 844 - 365K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: That's a really neat looking image.

@Rareth: I like what you've done in that image.

@Fire Angle: Plants really look nice. Hope we can see the finished image.

edited December 1969

Another little Bryce DTE > TE doodle rendered up in Octane - I let this one cook overnight. Yeah, that's right, this render took longer than most of my Bryce renders made in the last three years - yes, Octane is fast but... it also has SSS, lovely SSS, which you may or may not be able to see, depending how SSS sensitive you are. And Sub Surface Scattering, is also, quite render intensive, as in, very, as in slow. But lovely, but slow.

PS_mat_test1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 255K
    edited December 1969

@Rareth - your crater lake looks very nice. The experiment looks also good, but is a bit busy. Craters can also be made in the TE direectly. Here's a 10 year old render using self made craters Moon Craters.

@Fire Angel - very nice. I'd expected to see a bit of water but obviously this is an oasis.

@GussNemo - thank you.

@David - Interesting shape.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Rareth - your crater lake looks very nice. The experiment looks also good, but is a bit busy. Craters can also be made in the TE direectly. Here's a 10 year old render using self made craters Moon Craters.

@Fire Angel - very nice. I'd expected to see a bit of water but obviously this is an oasis.

@GussNemo - thank you.

@David - Interesting shape.

I did make it in the TE I got the idea from the Geocrafting terrain tutorial

I start here

crater-start.jpg
    641 x 481 - 78K
    edited December 1969

Interesting idea. You can also start with a plop in the TE and put a smaller negative one in its centre. With the hardness of the brush you can control how soft or hard the ridges are.

TEcraters.jpg
    800 x 600 - 26K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Interesting idea. You can also start with a plop in the TE and put a smaller negative one in its centre. With the hardness of the brush you can control how soft or hard the ridges are.

just playing around with DTE within the TE, having a lot fun, and learning quite a bit.

here is another experiment

blimp-strangeLandscape.jpg
    800 x 800 - 420K
    edited August 2013

GussNemo said:
    @Fire Angle: Plants really look nice. Hope we can see the finished image.

Oh yeah, a show-off like me won't miss an opportunity to show what he can do :lol: The bulk of the plants are by Dinoraul, he's well known for his dinosaurs but not everyone realises that he makes really excellent prehistoric and modern plants. One of the plants is from one of the X-Frog plant packs, the rest are as mentioned Dinoraul's. To give the impression of the edge of a forest I carefully placed them so that you can't see the horizon or the sky at all through them except towards the top and to the right side where the forest edge is supposed to be. I find prehistoric plants make good alien plants as well, since they have a suitably unfamiliar look.

The moons are duplicates of one moon I made using a sphere and two maps I created in a paint program, I rotated the duplicate to ensure that they don't look the same. I made a colour map and a bump map that goes with it and got good results; attempts to make better ones have failed dismally recently so I need more practice. Those maps were made when Bryce 3.1 was the current version and it was so long ago I can't remember which paint program I was using at the time. Bryce 3.1 was launched in 1997 and I got it in mid 1998 or so.

To keep it all rendering reasonably quickly I use the default material on the terrains and the infinite plane until right at the end; the very last tweak will be to give them a material suitable for the landscape and alien setting. I may add a cloud slab as well, with just a few clouds in it to preserve the look of a bright sunny day.

There will be a V4 character standing to the left in the edge of the forest wielding a camera, and a herd of beasts passing by filling the right side of the image to provide the photographer's subjects. I have a clear idea of how I want it all to look.

Post edited by Fire Angel on
    edited December 1969

Nothing complex from me. A single terrain and a curvature controlled material - would be great if the Bryce mesh smoothing bug could be fixed.

Curvature_vegitation_testing6.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 275K
    edited December 1969

more experiments

ruins1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 400K
    edited December 1969

@Rareth - I particularly like the outer ring and the fog on the ground.

@David - impressive gorge.

edited December 1969

In Depth Metal Material Tutorial

Rusted-Pitted-Metal.jpg
    900 x 900 - 648K
This discussion has been closed.