Carrara 8.5.0.204 Beta (Update)

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

HeavyD said:
    When will 8.5 be out of Beta and released without an expiration date?

they said end of summer ( guessing Sept . )

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    HeavyD said:

If I have learned one thing from DAZ it's don't believe release dates even if they are given as a season.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    bigh said:
    HeavyD said:

If I have learned one thing from DAZ it's don't believe release dates even if they are given as a season.

" It WILL be done by SEPT ."
    just not for Stan :)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    ManStan said:
    bigh said:
    HeavyD said:

I'd still like to see a release candidate before the actual release. :D

• JoelLovellJoelLovell Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    bigh said:
    ManStan said:
    bigh said:
    HeavyD said:

I'd still like to see a release candidate before the actual release. :D

I'll just hope for a continuation of the beta until the release, because without it I'm toast. My systems are Windows 8 and OSX 10.8.4 - I wont' be able to run it at all if I try and go back to my 8 Pro.

I wonder if their will be a charge for 8.5? I have never been able to use version 8 reliably on my systems, until 8.5 came out.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796
    edited December 1969

waiting patiently .. lol

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796
    edited December 1969

latest key expires for me tomorrow... waiting for another ;-)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

The beta serial number has been updated in the first post of this thread.
    Good through 18 August 2013.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

And it's still a complete flop, seeing as it's crashed loading genesis yet again. If this is considered close to a release candidate I'm done with Cararra.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Madbat said:
    And it's still a complete flop, seeing as it's crashed loading genesis yet again. If this is considered close to a release candidate I'm done with Cararra.

Is that Gen 1 or Gen 2 ---- or both ?? base figures with morphs and clothed ?

I never had a problem loading base figures
    Just curious

edited December 1969

Gen 1, I haven't tried gen 2 since I can't get Gen 1 to work. C8 worked nice and stable, and most versions of the C 8.5 beta were stable up till this last build. Now I get a constant stream of nil point errors, IO errors, and freezing. Couple that with being unable to access C8 without uninstalling this F*king beta, and I'm more than willing to dump Cararra altogether.

edited July 2013

Madbat said:
    Gen 1, I haven't tried gen 2 since I can't get Gen 1 to work. C8 worked nice and stable, and most versions of the C 8.5 beta were stable up till this last build. Now I get a constant stream of nil point errors, IO errors, and freezing. Couple that with being unable to access C8 without uninstalling this F*king beta, and I'm more than willing to dump Cararra altogether.

Genesis G2/V6 work fine for me - Windows 7 - Carrara 8.5 - check them out if you want -
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/23006/

Post edited by bigh on
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Are you on Carrara 8.5.0.204?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Madbat said:

Why can't you access C8?

edited July 2013

yup, 8.5.0.204 x64 on Win7, X6 3.2ghz amd 16gb ram Radeon 6950 updated drivers, C8.5 installed in the default location. C8 runs just fine, past builds ran just fine, this 204 build is almost entirely unworkable.

Edit: Crashed yet again. This time trying to open the file menu to save scene. Uninstalled this pile of crap.

Post edited by Madbat on
    edited December 1969

Madbat said:

I have to wonder what you are doing wrong. I've had C8.5 on 2 different comps and have no issues with it or loading genesis. On my Acer I had both C8.5 and C8.1 available and working. Right now I am running C8.5 on my gatewayasaures rex and out side of the intolerable load times; pent4 2.4 and 1 gig, it works fine with no crashes or errors.
    Do you have the latest version of genesis?
    Do you have studio 4.6 installed?
    Do you run CMS and/or DIM?
    An issue with any one of those will effect carrara.

I'd suggest doing a clean sweep uninstall. Uninstall both carrara's, studio, and CMS. Then run a search for DAZ folders, delete them. Run a registry cleaner, then reinstall. I can assure you this issue isn't carrara, but how it runs on your comp. If it was a carrara issue, everyone would have it. But DAZ apps have gotten so interdependent that they all have to be on the same build. So make sure everything is the latest version.

Note: I gave up trying to run Studio 4 on this comp so I uninstalled it.

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

i have just a quick question.

i needed to close carrara with the task manager as it didnt done anything (laggy) and if i wanted to restart it it asked for the serial again and said the other one is invalid, is that normal?

i am using the new serial now but is it normal that the program ask for the serial if i close it with the task manager?

edited December 1969

Give it the serial again, then just close carrara.

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

i used the new serial as the old one didnt worked so it worked, before i did it i just restarted my pc and than tryed again but still the same issue but with the new serial everything is fine right now.
    Just wondering if this could happen more often.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

lol!
    I Love that you gave us 'right-click' Copy/Cut/Paste! Just tried it putting in the new SN - awesome!

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

i used the new serial as the old one didnt worked so it worked, before i did it i just restarted my pc and than tryed again but still the same issue but with the new serial everything is fine right now.
    Just wondering if this could happen more often.For things like Serial Numbers or Preferences to be remembered, Carrara needs to be allowed to close normally. Force quit doesn't do that.

edited December 1969

So, I'm just wondering:
    Weren't we supposed to be able to view and apply Materials from the Daz Studio library for Genesis goods? It's kind of frustrating that often the clothes and whatnot don't load with any textures on them - and yet the materials folder is blank in Carrara. Yes, I know that you can perform the stuff in DS and make a new duf - and I will if I must. I was just under the impression that this stuff was going to be working in our last build.

I am also finding a lot of frustrated folks out there where clothing made to work with Genesis 2 Female doesn't always fit. Autofit is really hit and miss, too - and in some cases with crash Carrara outright.

This is not just a Gen 2 Fem issue either. It would be really nice if there was, somehow, a way that auto-fit could add some scaling dials to the mesh that expands or contracts the mesh according to the intelligent mesh transformation dictates. For example; since the auto-fit routine already knows to shape the chest with breast shapes and such, it should also know which directions would expand that part of the mesh.

I have finally tried removing topology protection to expand a mesh where poke through was - and it worked - even though I had to guess because the part was no longer touching the figure when I entered into modeling mode. Personally - I won't have a problem working this way - but I know that others will simply not find this acceptable.

I'm not really in a huge hurry to see this thing being an official release if these problems still exist - yet I sympathize the difficulty of the issues.

I think it would be a wise move to incorporate this list of new features to the manual, at the very least.

Without using Genesis at all, this new version of Carrara is by far my favorite. I really like Genesis and Genesis 2, too. But there are a few things that really need to be fixed/finished. I really like all of the hard work you've put into this. Would be really nice for you folks if Genesis (including the handling of material assignments from the browser, etc., and perhaps hiding directories that won't work for anything(?)) works as it should. When people buy a dress or a bikini specifically for a given figure - a figure that makes it's name by being able to morph into many different things - they want it to fit without poke through. Perhaps the 'fitting' routine can be adjusted?
    Funny thing is, not long ago poke through was just a common thing that people had to deal with. It was a big PITA. Generation 4 really changed all of that and spoiled the heck out of me. The ease of editing the generation 4 figures and their accessories within Carrara is what got me to NEED Carrara in the first place. Too bad that Genesis is making Carrara less of an advantage. Well - I haven't seen the build you guys have! ;)

Anyways, Cheers and good luck.
    Screw luck... use the force. I have faith, my friends ;)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited August 2013

Hi all:)

I've been MIA for a while, dong renovations. Came back and saw all this fuss about GenFem and thought I'd try out and see what all the fuss was about. Apart from her reluctance to wear clothing, she's seriously good. I've never been one to make much use of Daz dollies, but this one is perking my interest:)

Here's one I found really amusing - made a quick dress just to see how that would work, seeing that fitting V4 clothing is pretty hit-and-miss, without any particular pattern as to how the errors occurred.

First pic is in Studio, second a .duf file imported into Carrara - the skeleton is posed, but the figure and dress don't follow. In fact, the skeleton has totally deserted her and no way to get them back together.

She also doesn't like the Hexagon bridge - if she crosses at all without freezing Hex up, Hex becomes so laggy it is impossible to work with. Only 21K polys, so that's not it. Works fine imported to Hex as an .obj and Morph Loader works fine in Studio, but the morphs don't show up in Carrara. The parameters list is totally empty.

Hopefully this will encourage Daz to show Hex some love to fix this.

Haven't submitted a report because the faults are so random they can't be pin-pointed.

I have faith that Daz will get it all sorted, but in the meanwhile she'll have to work starkers:)

genfemcar.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 129K
    genfemstud.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 96K
    Post edited by Roygee on
    edited December 1969

I haven't had that issue with DUF, but It is an ongoing issue with dae; skeleton abandoning the model. And custom morph sliders not showing in carrara is nothing new, had the same issue in DS3 with mil4 figures. Sorry but I have forgotten what hoops I had to jump through to get it to work.

Now may not be the best time to jump back in to this. I have given up on doing anything till we get fixes/updates. By all means check the new figures and features, but don't expect to get anything staged with out some serious PITA. I've actually uninstalled carrara and studio from this comp and wont be reinstalling them to it. {once I have a new comp I'll reinstall then, but only if Studio and carrara have been updated}.

edited December 1969

So, I'm just wondering:
    Weren't we supposed to be able to view and apply Materials from the Daz Studio library for Genesis goods? It's kind of frustrating that often the clothes and whatnot don't load with any textures on them - and yet the materials folder is blank in Carrara. Yes, I know that you can perform the stuff in DS and make a new duf - and I will if I must. I was just under the impression that this stuff was going to be working in our last build.
    Materials for Genesis from DAZ Studio works with all DSON for Poser products. (They are all DUF not DS or DSA files.) Also any Textures that have presets in DUF format.

This, of course, excludes shaders and texture presets that include non-standard shaders. Some of this type of texture preset will import most of the texture maps, many will not in those cases.

edited December 1969

So, I'm just wondering:
    Materials for Genesis from DAZ Studio works with all DSON for Poser products. (They are all DUF not DS or DSA files.) Also any Textures that have presets in DUF format.

This, of course, excludes shaders and texture presets that include non-standard shaders. Some of this type of texture preset will import most of the texture maps, many will not in those cases. Sorry, Spooky. I meant files within the Materials folder. For an example, Adventure Lord loads in with no textures applied whatsoever. So I go the the heading within: Materials. It's just blank. I know that it wouldn't contain Carrara shaders, or anything, but if we could access the default texture files, somehow...

Probably reading too heavily into this, aren't I?

edited December 1969

So, I'm just wondering:

This, of course, excludes shaders and texture presets that include non-standard shaders. Some of this type of texture preset will import most of the texture maps, many will not in those cases.

Sorry, Spooky. I meant files within the Materials folder. For an example, Adventure Lord loads in with no textures applied whatsoever. So I go the the heading within: Materials. It's just blank. I know that it wouldn't contain Carrara shaders, or anything, but if we could access the default texture files, somehow...

Probably reading too heavily into this, aren't I?That is exactly what I am talking about. If you open up that Material folder in Windows Explorer/Finder you will see the extension on the files. If the extension is DUF it will show up in Carrara. If the extension is .DS, .DSB, .DSE or .DSA it won't. This is because Carrara can't read those types of files. It would be more confusing showing files you can't load than not showing any when none will load.

edited December 1969

lol!
    Forgive me, Bud! Loud n' clear, now ! lol
    Thanks for clearing me up on that!

edited December 1969

It would be more confusing showing files you can't load than not showing any when none will load.

I'll argue with that, remember we went round about the "show hidden" option before. I'd rather see files I can't load then not know they are there. I'd rather say "oh, those files aren't compatible" then "where the #@#$% are my textures". If you see the materials are there yet incompatible, you know to look for them in the texture folder to manually apply, rather then wonder if they actually installed.

I'm confused enough with out being left guessing.

edited December 1969

Still... I can agree that, as a standard... keep that noise hidden.
    I can also see the value in still allowing us to see the folders - as more and more products will begin to use the duf format - so we'll actually have something in there to use. Maybe some of us could make the conversions for the products we've purchased, and send in the updates? I would certainly be willing to do my part for the products I've bought - just to get them up-to-speed with 8.5

The less confusion we have amongst users, the better this whole thing will come off. And with no instructions, you're looking to release a nightmare on the world!

This discussion has been closed.