Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Still Banging my head against a wall with the Origin Handle, with a single Bryce Primitive it works as advertised, but with grouped objects, even with Bryce Booleaned objects, collapsed to a mech, then exported and imported, when I try to use the Attributes to enter in an exact position for the origin handle, all that happens is the mesh bounding box gets bigger in the direction I wanted the origin handle to go.

I know I can move it manually, but I can never get it in the exact spot. (yes there is a bit of OCD there...)

I know this feeling, when it came to rigging the lenses for the anaglyph system it took me hours and hours to position them exactly. Which was a bit frustrating to say the least. It would have been easier but I wanted to put a tracking control in there so that it was possible to adjust the focus of the effect easily rather than have dozens of different lens systems with different depth setting and have the user have to swap them in and out. This required pixel perfect location of the lens objects origins at maximum wireframe zoom. But now you can appreciate how difficult that is.

edited December 1969

@David: That is a very intriguing object, it turned out well. Love to see how you made it.

Here is a short tutorial as to how these intriguing objects can be made.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - using the DTE as a geometry synthesis tool - by David Brinnen

Video_object_simple_render1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 104K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I'll have to play with the Geometry synthesis and see how Lux Render handles it (I'll have to send it to DAZ then to Lux Render via the Luxus plugin).

but for now I've been playing with Maps, as in google maps.

IamHere.jpg
    800 x 800 - 576K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Bottle modelled in Bryce... spray lid modified from one I downloaded from Google 3D Warehouse.

PVCuCleanerSmall.jpg
    427 x 800 - 130K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Looks great. Spray lid looks natural. Everything photo realistic.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Bottle modelled in Bryce... spray lid modified from one I downloaded from Google 3D Warehouse.

Hey I need some of that stuff, where can I buy it. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Oooh, that looks like some nice 'messing', Horo. Do 'mess!' some more.

Jay

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Thanks for the comments. Your recent image is absolutely beautiful. Tutorial?? Hmmm?? :-)

Horo: Beautiful!! yes I think a tutorial is in order here???

Thanks for your encouragements. Here's another attempt. I'm less satisfied. I've got to figure things out more exactly before I can think about doing a video.

IllPassExp.jpg
    800 x 800 - 199K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

As to origin handle, I've been using them quite a bit making the Leaning Tower of Pisa model. With individual objects, when show origin handle is selected the position of the handle can be controlled by unlocking origin/position and entering the origin numbers. But if it's attempted with a group the whole group zooms to the origin position. I then end up manually positioning the handle as close to the location as I can get it.

@David: Gads, something else to lose a few hours over. :-) The actually scary part is that I understood what you did in the terrain editor and DTE. Did you manipulate the lattice in your latest image before going into the TE and DTE to get the shape? Or is the shape done between the TE and DTE?

@Rareth: That looks like a good start on a map. From the height I'd say that's one big water way.

@Dave: How do we know that isn't a photo? :) That's a bang up job.

@Horo: I don't know Horo, that one has a charm all its own. It may not have the WOW as the other one, but it does have eye appeal. At least to me.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited August 2013

@ Horo
    The last 2 image posts looks like a Sun surface/atmosphere HDR from my viewpoint :). (I/m fascinated by anything related to space/sci-fi, real telescope images or just CG simulation.)
    @ David
    I love it when you add a pinkish/reddish hdr effect. It gives a super warm effect kinda similar to post processing movies in studios.

back to my craters work , i made a kit/pack with craters,hills, ground base height maps in tif 16-bit to be loaded into the terrain editor to create a custom planet/asteroid surface :D from any 3d app which can import height maps (Bryce,Vue, 3ds max, maya, game engines, etc)
    Craters Construction Kit
    free here http://www.sharecg.com/v/70849/view/5/3D-Model/Craters-Construction-Kit

working now on a PDF tutorial for beginners in Bryce how to use this pack.

Special Crater : Gale from Mars (the landing area of the Curiosity rover - i added my name too on Curiosity' chip from NASA' website with "Send your name to Mars" program :) wish i could go to Mars in 2023 for colonization but i'll get bored without Bryce, from making pipe networks all day long lol :D) .

mars_send_names.jpg
    979 x 605 - 167K
    Craters_MILD.jpg
    700 x 1917 - 395K
    Craters_ERODED.jpg
    700 x 1917 - 402K
    Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

Pam: It's not available yet... it'll be in the shops in about a month. :)

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: How do we know that isn't a photo? :) That's a bang up job.

Thanks Guss (and everyone).

Here you go... :lol:

Picture-3.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 162K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2013

...i made a kit/pack...

criss333

Meant to comment about your crater work in your previous post...so very nice, and a great free offer, too.

Have been using the HiRise (Mars) and LROC (Moon) data for many years now, which show some nice craters similar to yours, and using them in Bryce. The only problem is, however, Bryce doesn't allow conforming these data (heightmaps, or DEMs) onto natural, planet curvature (i.e. overlaying them onto a sphere, where they would then follow the curvature of the sphere).

The HiRise heightmaps don't really require the above curvature, as they are so, well, HiRez, but as some of the LROC data has heightmaps that take in views of large areas of the Moon, curvature, then, comes into play. Still, Bryce has been all I've used to do the above, so I'm extremely grateful to it. There are some 'wares out there that you can do the above curvature stuff, but...pheew..some of them cost too much...for this old scrimper, anyway; who likes getting stuff for free (said he, counting his coiins Scrooge-like ;) ).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Made a new render, and then of course it sorted of gravitated over to Photoshop and got postworked a couple of fifferent ways. Not sure which I prefer. I do tend to make my fairy renders look a bit "Illustrative" if I can, for some reason

woodland_pool_6.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 823K
    woodland_pool_6_copy.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I like the first one better but the second one is more fairy-like, suits the subject better.

edited December 1969

I like the leaves in the first one best and the fairy in the second one.
    Great render either way.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2013

chohole...yeah...gorgeous...like the second best...more 'crispier'. Coincidentally, the lake below me has a load of these 'cattails' (the sausage-like feature) currently growing. In the olden days, these would be dried out, dipped in unused grease (or pertrol) and set alight...looked just like torches...for fun.

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

ARGGGHHHH!

Just when I thought I was getting good enough to spot a fake from a mile away, I end up seeing this....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/rainbow-mountains-china-danxia-landform_n_3683840.html?ncid=webmail20

I think...I think I've just about seen it all now. I'm currently trying to imagine how in the heck I would even re-create this effect in Bryce. One thing is certain and that is that even of I could get it to look correct it would still look fake as heck. Crazy no?

If I were to write a new creation story for the world, I'd say that when God was a baby his Daddy let him play with water colors and clay and he came up with these crazy looking mountains. He showed the mountains to his Daddy who then gave out young master a lesson on coloring within the lines. God grew up, took over the throne, decided to finish making the world he started as a kid. But now God knows how to color within the lines, so sorry, no more crazy ranges like this anywhere else in the world. I mean, what other explanation could there be?

edited December 1969

Well, it's essentially like the Grand canyon, just a bit more colourful. Difficult to get that in Bryce in one go but then, everybody would say it's unnatural and exaggerated. But I see what you mean, Rashad.

edited December 1969

I've been playing with David's tute Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - using the DTE as a geometry synthesis tool - by David Brinnen. Mine needs yet a bit of work.

Figure05.jpg
    800 x 600 - 178K
    edited December 1969

ARGGGHHHH!

Just when I thought I was getting good enough to spot a fake from a mile away, I end up seeing this....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/rainbow-mountains-china-danxia-landform_n_3683840.html?ncid=webmail20

I think...I think I've just about seen it all now. I'm currently trying to imagine how in the heck I would even re-create this effect in Bryce. One thing is certain and that is that even of I could get it to look correct it would still look fake as heck. Crazy no?

If I were to write a new creation story for the world, I'd say that when God was a baby his Daddy let him play with water colors and clay and he came up with these crazy looking mountains. He showed the mountains to his Daddy who then gave out young master a lesson on coloring within the lines. God grew up, took over the throne, decided to finish making the world he started as a kid. But now God knows how to color within the lines, so sorry, no more crazy ranges like this anywhere else in the world. I mean, what other explanation could there be?

Not quite as colourful, but we do have these cliffs in the UK
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/emperordalek/4189837857/

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited August 2013

The chinese mountains looks awesome.The terrain is easy to make ,the erosion type looks like my Klendathu scene (I used stamping/imprint method in mudbox then eroded in world machine) and i still have the project files, but the problem is the material , creating a (slightly noisy) strata colorful material in Bryce to look very similar without affecting the erosion channels effect, this is "Mission Impossible" and i wouldn't dare to try this :) Only way is to paint them as .obj in a sculpting program using real HD image texture sample/stamp.

Jamahoney said:
    criss333

Meant to comment about your crater work in your previous post...so very nice, and a great free offer, too.

Have been using the HiRise (Mars) and LROC (Moon) data for many years now, which show some nice craters similar to yours, and using them in Bryce. The only problem is, however, Bryce doesn't allow conforming these data (heightmaps, or DEMs) onto natural, planet curvature (i.e. overlaying them onto a sphere, where they would then follow the curvature of the sphere).

The HiRise heightmaps don't really require the above curvature, as they are so, well, HiRez, but as some of the LROC data has heightmaps that take in views of large areas of the Moon, curvature, then, comes into play. Still, Bryce has been all I've used to do the above, so I'm extremely grateful to it. There are some 'wares out there that you can do the above curvature stuff, but...pheew..some of them cost too much...for this old scrimper, anyway; who likes getting stuff for free (said he, counting his coiins Scrooge-like ;) ).

Jay

Well i never used DEM files , never bothered to search them, learning how to apply or modify .These craters are computer generated, fractal eroded and may look bad without a simple but cool texture.I never tried to apply these on a sphere to simulate a planet surface seen from space and i won't try it very soon :) This would be another mission impossible lol..Thank you for feedback by the way .

Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Uncle uncle...okay I give, you created that image. :lol:

@Pam: Whoa...hard to decide which image I like best because both are lovely. I like the color intensity of the first and that her facial features are clearer in the second. Guess I go with my gut and say they're both lovely.

@Rashad: Those are some wild colored mountains, and were it not for the people in the first few pictures I might not believe they're real. I looked at all the pictures posted and towards the end I did have a hard time believing they were photos. I thought about why and came up with the texture of the mountains compared to the sky. Still, real is real no matter what the eye sees.

@Horo: That is a very interesting image. I was trying to decide exactly what I thought it might be and came up with a very interesting image.

Finally, the general middle level of The Leaning Tower of Pisa is finished. I didn't like the look of the first one I did so I blew the whole thing into the trash and started over. In some cases using the actual numbers given, in others, numbers that resulted in needing to move an object or two. I'm not real satisfied with the mapping for the texture, but it's what I used on the lower level so I used it here as well. Click on the image to see a larger version.

General_Middle_Level.png
    810 x 810 - 618K
  • dyretdyret Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Don't believe it for a second! Those Danxia Landform Geological Park pics were made by David Brinnen in the DTE! :-)

edited December 1969

dyret said:
    Don't believe it for a second! Those Danxia Landform Geological Park pics were made by David Brinnen in the DTE! :-)

Not quite.

Cris333, thank you for the crater pack, looks very interesting, I have downloaded it from Sharecg and will have a go with it later, both in Bryce and Octane to see how they look.

Rainbow_hills2.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 255K
    edited December 1969

cris333 said:
    ... i made a kit/pack with craters,hills, ground base height maps in tif 16-bit to be loaded into the terrain editor to create a custom planet/asteroid surface :D from any 3d app which can import height maps (Bryce,Vue, 3ds max, maya, game engines, etc)
    Craters Construction Kit
    free here http://www.sharecg.com/v/70849/view/5/3D-Model/Craters-Construction-Kit

working now on a PDF tutorial for beginners in Bryce how to use this pack.

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the stuff and experiment with it as soon as I got the time.

@GussNemo - the model looks good so far. I think the stones are a bit large but it may be right this way, I dunno.

@David - so I was essentially right with the Grand Canyon. Looks very good.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I've been playing with David's tute Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - using the DTE as a geometry synthesis tool - by David Brinnen. Mine needs yet a bit of work.

Fantastic work :) Looks like an ancient chinese ornament :)

edited December 1969

Thank you! Now I have a title. :-)

edited December 1969

Here is my attempt at the latest D.B. tutorial the Geometry synthesis from the DTE. imported into DAZ Studio and rendered in Lux Render via the Luxus plugin.

Bryce-Geo-Terrain.jpg
    800 x 800 - 38K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. You noticed the brick size also, it's something I wondered about too. I double checked the numbers given but everything is correct. Perhaps when everything is assembled they will look better.

@Rareth: Neat looking flower(?)/object.

edited December 1969

@Rareth - the terrain came out fine. Luxrender doesn't convince me. Nevertheless, good job to bring the object into Studio - bravo.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Rareth - the terrain came out fine. Luxrender doesn't convince me. Nevertheless, good job to bring the object into Studio - bravo.

well Lux Render is supposed to be un-Biased like Octane, I don't think its as good, but it is within my budgest (a.k.a free, and the daz studio plugin was cheap).

lit with two point lights, and a glossy translucent volumetric material (which is a pain to render) the image was the result of 17 hours cooking.

being able to do this is why I originally got the luxus plugin for DAZ

d10.png
    1024 x 768 - 240K
This discussion has been closed.