DAZ hogs 100% of my cpu

Please bear with me because I am not too technically proficient and all the stuff about processors mystifies me.

I've tried multiple times over a span of over 10 years to use DAZ and finally acquired a pc that I thought would actually meet the system requirements. I jumped through all the many hoops necessary to install it, and it seemed to work as I got to work on a scene (I have a fair amount of experience with poser 7, so it was't too hard to figure out...) But it soon crawled to a near stop, and I checked Task Manager to discover that DAZ was hogging nearly 100% of my CPU! On a brand new computer that was supposed to far, far exceed the minimum reqirements!

I've attached a screen grab of the Task Manager panel, as well as a summary of my pc's specs from speccy, which I've had on two other pc's  with no problem.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem is? Or did I throw away $800 on a useless pc?

Thanks.

Comments

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421

expand the ">" to check what part of Daz use the process power

• CGI3DMCGI3DM Posts: 276
    edited August 2018

mode IRAY in Viewport??? Selected Texture Shaded

And in Render Settings

Engine NVidia Iray - Checkbox - For GTX-1060

Preview.png
    486 x 305 - 35K
    Post edited by CGI3DM on
  • ronanon8002ronanon8002 Posts: 0
    edited August 2018
    cm152335 said:

expand the ">" to check what part of Daz use the process power

Initially, when it was still using all my CPU, nothing but another "DAZ" with no subdirectories apeared.

An hour ago there was a whole long string of stuff I did not get a screen shot of, but it was only using 0.3% of my pc's cpu.

But now all it says is "DAZ Studio 4.10 Pro" plus the name of the file I'm working on. And it seems to be working ok, with exactly 0% cpu usage (or so it says)

I've only been using DAZ for a total of 6-8 hours, and clearly I've got a lot to learn.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

• CGI3DM , are the texture and render  settings that it's at now, and it seems to be working ok, with virtually 0% cpu usage. I'm not aware of changing them, but perhaps I did accidentally. Like I told CM152335, I'm quite new at this. Thank you for your help.

go_figure.JPG
    800 x 612 - 83K
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,115

Studio uses all available CPU cores by default, I don't think it has a limit. This can make your system very sluggish and difficult to use if iray preview or a render is running. You can , however, set the "affinity" of Studio very easily so it can't use one or more cpu cores if you would like to have a much more responsive system while iray preview or renders are running.

This change is temporary, and you would need to do it each time you start Studio.

1. Open Studio, but don't do anything in it.
    2. Open Task Manager and click the "Details" tab.
    3. Find DazStudio.exe on the list.
    4. Right click DazStudio.exe and select "set affinity" from the menu.

A window will popup showing all the CPU cores DazStudio is allowed to run on.
    Uncheck just one of the boxes, it doesn't matter which one.
    Click "ok".
    Close the task manager.

Studio won't be able to run on whatever core you took away from it (unchecked the box) until you close and reopen it.

I haven't put in a feature request, but it would be nice to have a way to set Studio's affinity from inside the program.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071
    edited September 2018

You can start Studio with affinity or priority from the desktop shortcut.

I recommend creating your own shortcut - you can modify the shortcut created when Studio is installed, but your changes will get whacked when you install an updated version.

Change the Target entry in the shortcut. See the attached images - cloudflare is whacking me every time I try to actually key the syntax. As set, this will launch studio at below normal priority - it will have full use of all cores and cpus unless something at normal or higher priority wants to run. Don't do this and try to run a cpu-intensive process! But this works quite nicely to allow watching a video, listening to music, or editing a text document - even playing old DOS-format interactive games.

To use affinity, change '/belownormal' to '/affinity X' where 'X' is a hex number indicating the cores to use: 1 = core 1; 2 = core 2; 3 = cores 1 and 2; 4 = core 3; 5 = cores 1 and 3 and so forth. The advantage to affinity is that one (or more) cores are always available to your other applications. The dis-advantage is that you've permanently removed on or more from the group that Studio can use - even if they're idle.

Screencap of my shortcut:

shortcut-1.jpg
    386 x 534 - 42K
    shortcut-2.jpg
    386 x 534 - 42K
    Post edited by namffuak on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I find it easiest to manually remove cores using task manager; I can remove as many or as few as I want, and add them back too.

Priority doesn't seem to make any difference.