How to: Replicators introductory methods, tricks, and advanced tips

2»

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

this could be handy devil surprise

Diomede said:

vary the colors of the shits of replicated figures in a crowd.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

blush

Diomede said:

Replicators are even more powerful when combined with SparrowHawke's free plugin to vary the colors.  For example, this can be used to vary the colors of the shirts of replicated figures in a crowd.

Free Instance Randomizer - http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/InstanceRandomizerPage.html

yes

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    Diomede said:

Replicators are even more powerful when combined with SparrowHawke's free plugin to vary the colors.  For example, this can be used to vary the colors of the shirts of replicated figures in a crowd.

Free Instance Randomizer - http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/InstanceRandomizerPage.html

As for trees/leaves/foliage: I read this tip somewhere in the past courtesy of the brilliant Phil Wilkes use a Shader > Mixer > 2 colors and noise set to Global. Just another option. Happy week end everyone

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

wow thanks for this, looking forward to digesting it!!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    Diomede said:

As for trees/leaves/foliage: I read this tip somewhere in the past courtesy of the brilliant Phil Wilkes use a Shader > Mixer > 2 colors and noise set to Global. Just another option. Happy week end everyone

Thanks, very useful as I was just importing some low poly trees into Carrara and wondering what to do with the shaders !!!

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    Diomede said:

Correcting the buried spheres is easy. You just need to move the hot point from the middle of the each sphere to the bottom of that sphere. To move a hot point, select the object and hit caps lock. Now when you use the move tool, the hot point will move instead of the object. Remember to turn off caps lock when you are done (I always forget, aaargh).

There are several other parameters than can control the distribution of the marbles that are worth taking a look at now.
    Number 1 - displays the number of objects that have been replicated on the surface of the object.
    Number 2 - displays the maximum number of replicated objects that you will allow.
    Number 3 - sets the minimum distance between objects. If you lower this value, then more objects will fit on the surface.
    Number 4 - allows you to set minimum distances along a specific axis. Lower values allow for more objects.

I wish add something I found:

When you use a distribution map, the maximum number of objects (Number 2) cannot be reached even when there would be plenty space. The real upper limit is a fraction. Here is the formula:

Upper limit = Number of objects to be replicated (Number 2) × white area fraction of the distribution map.

For example, this Distribution map. 

The white area is 1/4 of the total area. That is a 0.25 fraction.

If you set 5000 objects in (Number 2), you will get, at most, 5000 × 0.25 = 1250 objects. No more.

DistributionMap.png
    1000 x 1000 - 4K
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

There is a trick to extend the upper limit in a distribution map.

The Upper limit I mentioned in previous post is per shading domain.

Thus, you could create a shading domain on the source object (in vertex modeler), by selecting the desired facets with paint selection, and use a totally white distribution map (a white color channel in shader), the upper limit will be the intendend in number 2.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

just wanted to bump this so I could come back to it, what a terrific thread thanks Ted

edited June 2020

Using Procedural Shader - Environment / Slope - to Control Distribution

In some cases, this may be more convenient than painting distribution maps.  The replicator places items in white areas of a distribution map.  Here is an example of replicating grass on the relatively flat areas of a terrain and avoid the relatively steep places.  In the shader, the key is to blend black and white using the Environment / Slope function.  Screencaps to accompany these instructions are attached.  Click to increase size.

- started with a terrain that had some flat areas and some steep areas.  Create one any way you want.

- just to confirm how the slope function works, I created a shader using "Multichannel Mixer," set one channel to blue and the other to red, and in the blender chose Environment / Slope.

- Carrara places blue and red according to relative slope.

- I want to replicate grass where the red is and I want to avoid where the blue is.  

- Substitute white for red, and substitute black for blue

- Rename the shader to remember the distribution (save if want to have handy for future use)

- Create a New Shader for the Terrain!  Don't edit your black/white shader.

- Set the new terrain shader as desired, in this case I applied a vegetation terrain shader to the flat areas and a rocky shader to the steep using a similar blender as my distribution

- A test render shows that the greenish shader is where the red had been and the brownish shader is where the blue had been

The terrain has its shader, the next post will use the black/white slope shader to place the replicated grass

aa01 new Carrara Scene with a terrain and loaded toon grass prop from duf content folder.jpg
    1826 x 1009 - 238K
    aa02 terrain shader use multichannel mixer blue red and in blender use environemnt slope.jpg
    1720 x 998 - 231K
    aa03 so if do test render can see that red is flat and blue is steep so can use this shader black white to place grass.jpg
    910 x 626 - 61K
    aa04 rename shader black white slope can save if want.jpg
    1206 x 886 - 129K
    aa06 use mixer to use rock shader for steep and vegetation shader for flat.jpg
    1239 x 719 - 123K
    test render with realistic sky.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 176K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2020

continued

- In the shader tab of the lower right box, pull up the black/white distribution shader and copy its top multichannel mixer channel

- Back in the Assemble room, insert a surface replicator

- Choose the terrain as the source object and the grass prop as the replicated object

- In the replicator room, check the box in upper right to use the shader to control the distribution

- Paste the Black/White Multichannel Mixer Based on Slope to the Distribution Shader!

- In replicator room (you may have to navigate back to it), notice that there may not be room for all the grass.  In this case, only 79 of the 100 objects were placed

aa07 copy the black white slope shader.jpg
    1118 x 928 - 149K
    aa08 insert a surfaces replicator.jpg
    1413 x 895 - 136K
    aa09 choose terrain for source object and toon grass for replicated object.jpg
    1902 x 987 - 156K
    aa10 check the box for use shader.jpg
    1303 x 673 - 69K
    aa11 paste the black white slope shader to the distribution shader of the replicator room.jpg
    1111 x 858 - 143K
    edited June 2020

continued

- adjust the distribution settings to taste - reduce the distance between objects, inclrease the number of objects to be replicated, uncheck align to norm.  

- you can increase the number of objects even though Carrara hasn't found room for all the current objects.  For this example, I went well over a thousand.

- note - distribution precision on right side - determines how strictly replicated objects will be placed only on white areas.  Too much order may not be your desire, so use to taste.  I set to best for this example.

- in the assemble room, the white boxes confirm that the grass is concentrated on relatively flat areas

- and a test render

Adjust settings to taste

aa12 notice that reduced distance but only 79 objects replicated so will improve accuracy and increease number above 100.jpg
    1904 x 1029 - 171K
    aa13 here i set distribution at best and increased objects until 1981 placed and unchecked align to normal.jpg
    1890 x 1019 - 186K
    aa14 see that the replicated grass is concentrated in flatter areas.jpg
    1774 x 775 - 314K
    test render replicator.jpg
    800 x 600 - 39K

Cool concept Diomede, thanks for the tutorial!

Alberto said:
    Diomede said:

I wish add something I found:

When you use a distribution map, the maximum number of objects (Number 2) cannot be reached even when there would be plenty space. The real upper limit is a fraction. Here is the formula:

Upper limit = Number of objects to be replicated (Number 2) × white area fraction of the distribution map.

For example, this Distribution map. 

The white area is 1/4 of the total area. That is a 0.25 fraction.

If you set 5000 objects in (Number 2), you will get, at most, 5000 × 0.25 = 1250 objects. No more.

Alberto said:

There is a trick to extend the upper limit in a distribution map.

The Upper limit I mentioned in previous post is per shading domain.

Thus, you could create a shading domain on the source object (in vertex modeler), by selecting the desired facets with paint selection, and use a totally white distribution map (a white color channel in shader), the upper limit will be the intendend in number 2.

Thanks Alberto, I missed this before and it explains a lot. Thanks for the workaround!

edited July 2021

Adjustment - Putting Objects on Middle Layer (Sloped)

In the above example, the replicated objects are placed in the relatively flat area.

In this example, I will use a procedural shader to place the replicated objects on a medium sloped area, but not either flat areas or very steep areas.

So, I need a procedural shader that will separate the terrain into 3 areas: flat, mild slope, and steep slope.

- insert a terrain and remove the default filter

- create a fractal filter for the base terrain slopes

- create a mesa filter to get some very steep slopes

- insert a plateau filter to get some very flat slopes

- adjust terrain filters to taste, you can see I sort of have a path/valley between mild slope and a steep slope

- i duplicated the terrain so I could experiment on one but that is not necessary

- SHADER - I created a new shader for the duplicated terrain from which I will be making the distribution procedural

- I used a Complex Shader / Layer List for the procedural intending to create 3 areas using opacity settings of environment / slope to assign the shaders

- Blue / Green / Red, I set the base layer color to blue, created a second layer and set to green, and a third layer and set to red

- For the second green layer I set the opacity channel to environment slope and set a wide distribution with a low number (17 ish)

- For the third red layer I set the opacity channel to environment slope and set a narrow high dsitribution (70 ish)

- a test render shows the blue green and red distributions.

*** I want to replicate on the medium sloped green layer, not either the flat red layer or the steep blue layer

- so I want a procedural opacity distribution shader where the green is white and the red and blue are black

edited July 2021

Returning to the original terrain with default shader, I inserted a replicator and a default tree.  I reduced the size of the tree for this example.

- in replicator modeler, choose the terrain as the source

- in replicator modeler, add the tree to the list of replicated objects

- check the box for using the shader to control distribution

- copy and paste the white / black shader to the distribution shader in the replicator modeler

- can adjust replicator modeler settings for number of replicated objects, remember to uncheck align to normal

aa01 terrain start with default textures.jpg
    1891 x 995 - 276K
    aa06 second layer green with opacity mask slope set wide which is low 17.jpg
    1386 x 925 - 151K
    aa03 mesa settings stacked with fractal.jpg
    1363 x 893 - 169K
    aa04 plateau settings stacked with fractal and mesa.jpg
    1572 x 947 - 195K
    aa05 terrain shader layer list to get three areas make base area blue.jpg
    1896 x 967 - 221K
    aa02 terrain modeler fractal settings.jpg
    1867 x 1002 - 254K
    aa07 third layer red with opacity slope set narrow which is high 75.jpg
    1417 x 883 - 151K
    aa08 see that green is middle layer if do test render.jpg
    1622 x 978 - 213K
    aa09 assign white to green and black to red and blue.jpg
    1768 x 937 - 224K
    aa10 test render with black and white.jpg
    1795 x 977 - 202K
    aa11 copy the black white shader.jpg
    1312 x 841 - 145K
    aa12 apply slope shader in replicator settings see how flat areas no trees.jpg
    1857 x 981 - 275K
    aa13 replicator setting terrain in source and tree reduce scale in replicated objects.jpg
    1856 x 997 - 164K
    aa14 test render trees distributed empty are for flat stage.jpg
    800 x 600 - 69K
    aa15 adjust replicator settings.jpg
    1888 x 975 - 172K
    aa16 test render closer to stage with more dense trees.jpg
    800 x 600 - 75K
    bb01 test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
  • mschackmschack Posts: 337

Nice, thanks! I have not seen this thread before.

And Dart has a thread dedicated to the terrain modeler

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37867/building-carrara-terrains-intro/p1

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193

What a cool  thread, Diomede!!! Very cool indeed!!!

Diomede said:

Returning to the original terrain with default shader, I inserted a replicator and a default tree.  I reduced the size of the tree for this example.

- in replicator modeler, choose the terrain as the source

- in replicator modeler, add the tree to the list of replicated objects

- check the box for using the shader to control distribution

- copy and paste the white / black shader to the distribution shader in the replicator modeler

- can adjust replicator modeler settings for number of replicated objects, remember to uncheck align to normal

This is so awesome, thank you