How to: Replicators introductory methods, tricks, and advanced tips

2»

Comments

•  

this could be handy devil surprise

Diomede said:

vary the colors of the shits of replicated figures in a crowd.

• Diomede said:

Replicators are even more powerful when combined with SparrowHawke's free plugin to vary the colors.  For example, this can be used to vary the colors of the shirts of replicated figures in a crowd.

Free Instance Randomizer - http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/InstanceRandomizerPage.html

yes

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 707
    Diomede said:

Replicators are even more powerful when combined with SparrowHawke's free plugin to vary the colors.  For example, this can be used to vary the colors of the shirts of replicated figures in a crowd.

Free Instance Randomizer - http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/InstanceRandomizerPage.html

As for trees/leaves/foliage: I read this tip somewhere in the past courtesy of the brilliant Phil Wilkes use a Shader > Mixer > 2 colors and noise set to Global. Just another option. Happy week end everyone

• wow thanks for this, looking forward to digesting it!!!

• Diomede said:

As for trees/leaves/foliage: I read this tip somewhere in the past courtesy of the brilliant Phil Wilkes use a Shader > Mixer > 2 colors and noise set to Global. Just another option. Happy week end everyone

Thanks, very useful as I was just importing some low poly trees into Carrara and wondering what to do with the shaders !!!

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 645
    Diomede said:

Correcting the buried spheres is easy. You just need to move the hot point from the middle of the each sphere to the bottom of that sphere. To move a hot point, select the object and hit caps lock. Now when you use the move tool, the hot point will move instead of the object. Remember to turn off caps lock when you are done (I always forget, aaargh).

There are several other parameters than can control the distribution of the marbles that are worth taking a look at now.
    Number 1 - displays the number of objects that have been replicated on the surface of the object.
    Number 2 - displays the maximum number of replicated objects that you will allow.
    Number 3 - sets the minimum distance between objects. If you lower this value, then more objects will fit on the surface.
    Number 4 - allows you to set minimum distances along a specific axis. Lower values allow for more objects.

I wish add something I found:

When you use a distribution map, the maximum number of objects (Number 2) cannot be reached even when there would be plenty space. The real upper limit is a fraction. Here is the formula:

Upper limit = Number of objects to be replicated (Number 2) × white area fraction of the distribution map.

For example, this Distribution map. 

The white area is 1/4 of the total area. That is a 0.25 fraction.

If you set 5000 objects in (Number 2), you will get, at most, 5000 × 0.25 = 1250 objects. No more.

DistributionMap.png
    1000 x 1000 - 4K
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 645

There is a trick to extend the upper limit in a distribution map.

The Upper limit I mentioned in previous post is per shading domain.

Thus, you could create a shading domain on the source object (in vertex modeler), by selecting the desired facets with paint selection, and use a totally white distribution map (a white color channel in shader), the upper limit will be the intendend in number 2.

• Headwax_CarraraHeadwax_Carrara Posts: 7,637

just wanted to bump this so I could come back to it, what a terrific thread thanks Ted