More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Wow, Hera is now my most favorited image on DA in just over 13 hours.

• vrba79 said:

Really been on a roll lately. Here's that same guy, fleshed out some more, with a couple of lights and my other toon post work applied to the render.

Nice design. As for character work, I would suggest making the trousers a little lighter so they offer more contrast with the jacket when the image is reduced or he is in a long shot. You might also need to pump up his facial hair a little for distance shots.  Still, great looking character, and nice to see one of the older figures at use.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    vrba79 said:

Really been on a roll lately. Here's that same guy, fleshed out some more, with a couple of lights and my other toon post work applied to the render.

Nice design. As for character work, I would suggest making the trousers a little lighter so they offer more contrast with the jacket when the image is reduced or he is in a long shot. You might also need to pump up his facial hair a little for distance shots.  Still, great looking character, and nice to see one of the older figures at use.

Thanks. The character is still in the loose concept stage at this pont. Yeah, Genesis 1 is getting plenty of use from me these days. I just can't get the anime mixes I want from the later figures. Basically if you want good anime males and females stick with G1.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Image may contain: one or more people

Just Banging Carrara Drum. False start for a show I am in soon. Turned it into a poster for fun

Oh I made a simple how to in regards to using Carrara native render passes in your postwork that might be of interest to Carrara users.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/272046/how-to-simple-uses-for-carrara-render-passes-in-postwork#latest

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,817

Excelent tutorial, head wax. It explains a lot. Thank you very much for posting it.

Artini said:

Excelent tutorial, head wax. It explains a lot. Thank you very much for posting it.

Pleasure Artini, thanks for checking it out :)

edited August 2018

OK, here is the cover art for Issue #0.  Not perfect but it's a start

The Seven Sentinels: Issue #0 (cover art) by tkdrobert

Edit: I corrected the spelling that head wax pointed out.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    edited August 2018
    tkdrobert said:

Title Page: Issue #0 (Concept) by tkdrobert

Love the font in the "The Fall and Rebirth" line. BTW is Humaity' missing an 'n'?

Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:
    tkdrobert said:

Love the font in the "The Fall and Rebirth" line. BTW is Humaity' missing an 'n'?

OK, I'll correct the typo.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm the worst typer and I always see what I ment to type, not what I actally typed.  I tried many fonts before I settled on that one, so I'm glad you like it.

edited August 2018
    tkdrobert said:
    head wax said:
    tkdrobert said:

OK, I'll correct the typo.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm the worst typer and I always see what I ment to type, not what I actally typed.  I tried many fonts before I settled on that one, so I'm glad you like it.

Oh. For a moment there I thought you were like that guy who can't pronounce the T in planetarium. wink

Post edited by vrba79 on
    vrba79 said:
    tkdrobert said:
    head wax said:
    tkdrobert said:

Oh. For a moment there I thought you were like that guy who can't pronounce the T in planetarium. wink

LOL

The whole point of this one was to try and recreate something similar to my G2 anime girl in G1. Long live Genesis 1!

Done with my No-Budget toon rendering method with just a bit of photoshop postwork to smooth it out.

vrba79 said:

The whole point of this one was to try and recreate something similar to my G2 anime girl in G1. Long live Genesis 1!

Done with my No-Budget toon rendering method with just a bit of photoshop postwork to smooth it out.

Nice work

• vrba79 said:

Pretty nice work. The outlines on the right side seem a bit light, but you really achieved solid results from this.

• tkdrobert said:

Very nice in regards to composition, but a few thoughts on your color choices (and a few other suggestions):

• The logos: Change it to white. I don't think the yellow works at all.
    • The transparent circle around the CL logo: decrease transparency so that it is more opaque; It's too hard to read.
    • Make the "stamp" a little smaller and move the "#0" under it.
    • Lose the colored bar around your name: just put your name in white down there (maybe increase the size just a smidge). I just don't think the band is doing your composition any favors. Also, increase the tracking between the letters. If you have contrast issues with the type against the background, add a suble black faded zone behind the lettering to improve the contrast (I can send an example if you are not sure what I mean). Also, did you try putting it above the logo at the top?
    • I find the word "Humanity" hard to read. Have you experimented with the tracking of the letters (perhaps increasing it a little)?
    • Try increasing the space between the words "FALL AND," as they look a little close.

I'm all done with my nitpicking! Great cover concept, and I would probably open it if I saw it on the shelf at my comic shop.

• head wax said:

Image may contain: one or more people

Just Banging Carrara Drum. False start for a show I am in soon. Turned it into a poster for fun

It's always fun to try something new. But yeah, this turned out a bit too stylized.

• vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

Thanks. The character is still in the loose concept stage at this pont. Yeah, Genesis 1 is getting plenty of use from me these days. I just can't get the anime mixes I want from the later figures. Basically if you want good anime males and females stick with G1.

That is VERY good to know. I'm not doing anime right now, but I've filed that bit of info away for future reference.

Most of my work is in Poser these days, so I'm really sticking with the version 4 figures, with just a little use of the 3 figs for background chararacters.

• Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but I'm FINALLY working on my fantasy comic again! Might even have something to show for it next week.

edited August 2018
    vrba79 said:

Great pose and the textures on the jacket sing

Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but I'm FINALLY working on my fantasy comic again! Might even have something to show for it next week.

:) Looking forward to it. You using the cloth room much in Poser by the way?

Post edited by Headwax on
  • head wax said:
    vrba79 said:

Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but I'm FINALLY working on my fantasy comic again! Might even have something to show for it next week.

:) Looking forward to it. You using the cloth room much in Poser by the way?

Not much, to be honest (especially on this project, as there are only two characters and their clothing is all conforming). BUT, my next project includes a woman in a long gown with flowing sleeves, so I'm planning to use the Cloth Room a lot on that project. That is, of course, if I can find a way to use it efficiently based on the time it takes to set up and render her with a cloth simulation. 

thanks @mmitchell_houston , just wondered how many people use it regularly. I have had success with vwd- but it is intermittent . The effect is worthwhile going for though.

edited August 2018
    vrba79 said:

Pretty nice work. The outlines on the right side seem a bit light, but you really achieved solid results from this.

Thanks. The post work effect isn't perfect, but it does add a nice touch to it. The finished version of the character is gonna have geometry shell outlines. Something about that effect pairs very well with DS's default toon shader.

head wax said:
    vrba79 said:

The texture on the jacket was stock. The post work just gave it an interesting look.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

Here's one. One of my main characters. It's bonus art from an upcoming story arc.

Here's one. One of my main characters. It's bonus art from an upcoming story arc.

C

Cool

tkdrobert said:

Very nice in regards to composition, but a few thoughts on your color choices (and a few other suggestions):

• The logos: Change it to white. I don't think the yellow works at all.
    • The transparent circle around the CL logo: decrease transparency so that it is more opaque; It's too hard to read.
    • Make the "stamp" a little smaller and move the "#0" under it.
    • Lose the colored bar around your name: just put your name in white down there (maybe increase the size just a smidge). I just don't think the band is doing your composition any favors. Also, increase the tracking between the letters. If you have contrast issues with the type against the background, add a suble black faded zone behind the lettering to improve the contrast (I can send an example if you are not sure what I mean). Also, did you try putting it above the logo at the top?
    • I find the word "Humanity" hard to read. Have you experimented with the tracking of the letters (perhaps increasing it a little)?
    • Try increasing the space between the words "FALL AND," as they look a little close.

I'm all done with my nitpicking! Great cover concept, and I would probably open it if I saw it on the shelf at my comic shop.

I used a Comic Life templete to do this cover and the lettering.  I haven't used it much, so I had some trouble with it.  Does anyone know how to change the default letter shadowing?  I tried several times but could not change it from it's default black. 

I tried several font colors and I couldn't find what I thought was ideal.  I'll try solid white and see how that looks.  I tried some gradient white and didn't like it.  When you say tracking of the letters, do you mean spacing?  I don't understand.

Thanks.

Yes, I bet he means the space between letters. Kerning.

There's a huge thing behind lettering and fonts and titles. There's so many little tips and tricks you could exhaust a day looking at it all.

So many.....but little ones like.....making certain words A TINY bit smaller Like the words "The" and "of" especially "of"

And almost never using a straight font...as is....

And color things....like the purple oval around your name is no where else on the cover so it stands out- maybe too much.....

If the oval was smaller around your name -  (as opposed to a ribbon or some other frame-like graphic)  - what if you sampled a color from somewhere else - and see what that does....

I would probably open it if I saw it on the shelf at my comic shop.

The concept is dope and the flames and the phoenix look incredible.

Just a lot of nit-picky things.

edited August 2018

I would probably open it if I saw it on the shelf at my comic shop.

The concept is dope and the flames and the phoenix look incredible.

Just a lot of nit-picky things.

I'm certainly open to looking at the nit-picky things.  Anything to improve.  I know cover art is real important in getting me to check out a book when I'm just browsing at the comic shop or the Internet.  Therefore, I really want my covers to grap people, especially sci-fi fans.  The Phoenix is symbolic, but gets the point across.  Humanity comes real close to extinction before bouncing back and colonizing other solar systems.

Overall, I'm looking to stike a ballance between sci-fi and adventure.  I want to be realistic, but not too hard core sci-fi.  Somwhere in between Flash Gordan and the Expanse, but more leaning toward Flash Gordan/Buck Rodgers.  Guardians of the Galaxy is too far out there on the spectrum of unrealistic.  I love those movies, but that's too far away from what I'm looking for.  Intersellar would be the extreme on the other end of the spectrum.

Post edited by tkdrobert on

The good news is - once you get it right, all these little guide rules stick with you.

Sounds like a cool project. You nail all those other properties from Robotech and Star Wars so it'll be real interesting to see where you go on your own.

Damn curious.

This discussion has been closed.