More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

The good news is - once you get it right, all these little guide rules stick with you.

Sounds like a cool project. You nail all those other properties from Robotech and Star Wars so it'll be real interesting to see where you go on your own.

Damn curious.

I’m a lot more critical of my own stuff.  I tend to start something, then throw it out because it’s not good enough.  It’s the main reason, you haven’t seen much lately. 

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2018
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

OK, here is the cover art for Issue #0.  Not perfect but it's a start

The Seven Sentinels: Issue #0 (cover art) by tkdrobert

Edit: I corrected the spelling that head wax pointed out.

Very nice in regards to composition, but a few thoughts on your color choices (and a few other suggestions):

• The logos: Change it to white. I don't think the yellow works at all.
    • The transparent circle around the CL logo: decrease transparency so that it is more opaque; It's too hard to read.
    • Make the "stamp" a little smaller and move the "#0" under it.
    • Lose the colored bar around your name: just put your name in white down there (maybe increase the size just a smidge). I just don't think the band is doing your composition any favors. Also, increase the tracking between the letters. If you have contrast issues with the type against the background, add a suble black faded zone behind the lettering to improve the contrast (I can send an example if you are not sure what I mean). Also, did you try putting it above the logo at the top?
    • I find the word "Humanity" hard to read. Have you experimented with the tracking of the letters (perhaps increasing it a little)?
    • Try increasing the space between the words "FALL AND," as they look a little close.

I'm all done with my nitpicking! Great cover concept, and I would probably open it if I saw it on the shelf at my comic shop.

I used a Comic Life templete to do this cover and the lettering.  I haven't used it much, so I had some trouble with it.  Does anyone know how to change the default letter shadowing?  I tried several times but could not change it from it's default black. 

I tried several font colors and I couldn't find what I thought was ideal.  I'll try solid white and see how that looks.  I tried some gradient white and didn't like it.  When you say tracking of the letters, do you mean spacing?  I don't understand.

I've never touched Comic Life, so I can't offer any advise on that program at all.

Tracking (and/or kerning) is the technical name for the space between letters. It can also be called Letter Spacing.

Here's a logo in (mostly) white that I did for a role playing game (someone else painted the cover art, but I did the logo and the author's name area (plus a lot of design elements on the back, which aren't seen here). Although the logo does work for this cover (yellow was completely washed out by the background), I think white with a hint of blue might work even better on your cover because it is darker than this.

Galaxy_Prime_Cover.jpg
    600 x 777 - 150K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • tkdrobert said:

The good news is - once you get it right, all these little guide rules stick with you.

Sounds like a cool project. You nail all those other properties from Robotech and Star Wars so it'll be real interesting to see where you go on your own.

Damn curious.

I’m a lot more critical of my own stuff.  I tend to start something, then throw it out because it’s not good enough.  It’s the main reason, you haven’t seen much lately. 

I never throw anything away, but there is stuff in my vault that I don't bother to share. You never know... a year from now I may need a quick illustration for something and that thing I didn't like back then might be perfectly fine when I'm desperate! :-)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787

Trying sketch rendering in Unity of the freebie: MCS female by Morph 3D (division of Daz 3D)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/45807

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

You can always STROKE (Outline) your logo, use a drop shadow and a bunch of other things to make it stand out.

Or else you'll be changing its color every issue as the backdrop changes. What if you make sentinels white and then have a white or light backdrop?

Know what I mean? I got a logo list I wrote somewhere....hold on....

------------------- Ahhh here it is...... ------------------------

Follow a few simple technical rules and then some creative rules and you'll be fine.

Technical:
    1) Must be legible and clear up close and far away. (Scaled large and small)
    2) Works with the colors reversed and in Black and White. [in other words, your title works against a white or black background.]
    3) Don't use an uncleared font (you don't have rights to).
    4) Search to see if your title is already in use.
    5) Make several versions, some that are vertical and some that are horizontal.
    6) Do not make every word the same size or level of importance.
    7) Study the titles that are effective and not just from popular properties.

Creative
    1) Treat your title like a logo and make it an Image Of Words
    2) The shape of your words should be easy to recognize.
    3) Don't use a font as is, edit it and make it (more) your own.
    4) Avoid strange words that your (target) audience is unfamiliar with.
    5) Search for titles like yours and avoid being taken as a parody of another property.
    6) Pick a title that SOUNDS good AND LOOKS good. Easy to pronounce.
    7) If you feel compelled to use a bad title, reconsider and make it a subtitle.
    8) Make several versions (no matter how great you think the first try is/was) and compare
    9) A plain title can be jazzed up by adding non-words, including symbols and shapes.
    10) Study MANY titles and avoid copying - even if you think it's an obscure property.

Thanks for the tips.  Here is my latest fanart.  Not 100% happy with this but here it is anyway

Pacific Rim by tkdrobert

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited August 2018
    tkdrobert said:

Thanks for the tips.  Here is my latest fanart.  Not 100% happy with this but here it is anyway

Well, if it helps, I’m 100% happy with it. wink

— Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
    edited August 2018
    wsterdan said:
    tkdrobert said:

Well, if it helps, I’m 100% happy with it. wink

— Walt Sterdan

I appreciate that.  The only thing I don't like is the building on the left.  I don't like the texture.

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Thane from Mass Effect 2 and 3

ME: Thane (Painted) by tkdrobert

edited August 2018

This was going to be photo-real but I just like NPR better.  CyberPunk 2077

CyberPunk 2077 by tkdrobert

Nice work, tkdrobert.

• You can always STROKE (Outline) your logo, use a drop shadow and a bunch of other things to make it stand out.

Or else you'll be changing its color every issue as the backdrop changes. What if you make sentinels white and then have a white or light backdrop?

Know what I mean? I got a logo list I wrote somewhere....hold on....

------------------- Ahhh here it is...... ------------------------

Follow a few simple technical rules and then some creative rules and you'll be fine.

Technical:
    1) Must be legible and clear up close and far away. (Scaled large and small)
    2) Works with the colors reversed and in Black and White. [in other words, your title works against a white or black background.]
    3) Don't use an uncleared font (you don't have rights to).
    4) Search to see if your title is already in use.
    5) Make several versions, some that are vertical and some that are horizontal.
    6) Do not make every word the same size or level of importance.
    7) Study the titles that are effective and not just from popular properties.

Creative
    1) Treat your title like a logo and make it an Image Of Words
    2) The shape of your words should be easy to recognize.
    3) Don't use a font as is, edit it and make it (more) your own.
    4) Avoid strange words that your (target) audience is unfamiliar with.
    5) Search for titles like yours and avoid being taken as a parody of another property.
    6) Pick a title that SOUNDS good AND LOOKS good. Easy to pronounce.
    7) If you feel compelled to use a bad title, reconsider and make it a subtitle.
    8) Make several versions (no matter how great you think the first try is/was) and compare
    9) A plain title can be jazzed up by adding non-words, including symbols and shapes.
    10) Study MANY titles and avoid copying - even if you think it's an obscure property.

Very good advice on logo creation, but I do have to comment on the note you have about needing to change the logo color every issue. MANY (if not most) comics do exactly that, and have been for decades. 

If constant color changes are good enough for the "big boys" in the industry, it's good enough for you. I would hazard to say that the note above about color in logo design is really more important to product design that will be trademakred, rather than being particularly important to comic book logo design. 

Artini said:

Nice work, tkdrobert.

Thanks buddy.

• tkdrobert said:

Very cool and moody, but I'd like to see more of the green glow from the monitor on his body: that would give it more of a film noir feel. I like the details of the set design, but lighting-wise, I would recommend using a few spot lights to illuminate the key figures a little more.

Is this part of your upcoming project?

edited August 2018
    tkdrobert said:

Very cool and moody, but I'd like to see more of the green glow from the monitor on his body: that would give it more of a film noir feel. I like the details of the set design, but lighting-wise, I would recommend using a few spot lights to illuminate the key figures a little more.

In Daz, I think I changed the lighting type on the screens and they didn't project as much light on the guy, but I thought it made them l look clearer.  I also experimented with bloom but didn't like it.  I struggled in postwork, trying to get the lighting level right.  I did want that gritty/moddy feeling.  Sometimes you just have to make a choice and pull the trigger.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

In Daz, I think I changed the lighting type on the screens and they didn't project as much light on the guy, but I thought it made them l look clearer.  I also experimented with bloom but didn't like it.  I struggled in postwork, trying to get the lighting level right.  I did want that gritty/moddy feeling.  Sometimes you just have to make a choice and pull the trigger.

Oh yeah, you can only do so much, especially for work that isn't going to print.

Have you tried putting in point lights to cast extra illumination? A tiny green point light between his head and the screen (hidden from view by his head) could cast a lot of green light on his face.

Or a very small, focused green spot on his face could add the glow.

Adding extra lights is something they do in movies all the time to shift focus to where it's needed.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Oh yeah, you can only do so much, especially for work that isn't going to print.

Have you tried putting in point lights to cast extra illumination? A tiny green point light between his head and the screen (hidden from view by his head) could cast a lot of green light on his face.

Adding extra lights is something they do in movies all the time to shift focus to where it's needed.

Do you mean in DAZ or Photoshop?  If you mean Daz, no.  I thought the screen would cast the light.  To be honest, I'm not sure if the Daz render failed to cast the light or it was washed out by accident in Postwork.  I'd have to check the original render again.  As far, as Photoshop, I've not had much luck using the point lights.spotlights included in there.  Probably doing something wrong.  I did successfully use the lense flare feature on another Cyberpunk/Noir render though.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Do you mean in DAZ or Photoshop?  If you mean Daz, no.  I thought the screen would cast the light.  To be honest, I'm not sure if the Daz render failed to cast the light or it was washed out by accident in Postwork.  I'd have to check the original render again.  As far, as Photoshop, I've not had much luck using the point lights.spotlights included in there.  Probably doing something wrong.  I did successfully use the lense flare feature on another Cyberpunk/Noir render though.

I meant a point light in DazStudio. The lights in Photoshop are very clunky. 

When I'm setting up a moody scene with lots of shadows, I'll put a pointlight near the object I want to illuminate (like a face or object).

My experience with screen casting light (and my experience is somewhat limited), I found that if you crank up the light too high it washes out the text/image on the screen. So adding a second light to fall on the subject does wonders. 

I mention it just as something for you to consider.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Artini said:

Trying sketch rendering in Unity of the freebie: MCS female by Morph 3D (division of Daz 3D)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/45807

that;s a great effect

Thanks a lot, head wax.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I meant a point light in DazStudio. The lights in Photoshop are very clunky. 

When I'm setting up a moody scene with lots of shadows, I'll put a pointlight near the object I want to illuminate (like a face or object).

My experience with screen casting light (and my experience is somewhat limited), I found that if you crank up the light too high it washes out the text/image on the screen. So adding a second light to fall on the subject does wonders. 

I mention it just as something for you to consider.

Understood.

edited August 2018

Not to be a stickler, But I just gave advice about what you can do to avoid changing the logo and you show examples of the big boys doing what I said. In fact they double down as they change the color AND THE STROKE for all those covers. You would have to show me a white logo on a white backdrop (without a stroke) to make a real case.

The scenario we are working against is when you design a black/dark logo against a white backdrop. That's common. It makes sense not to notice on your FIRST issue because you had a light blue sky. But eventually when the backdrop gets complicated or night or space, you realize you need to make some changes. Not impossible to fix, but my advice is about pre-planning to avoid, not steps to fix.

If constant color changes are good enough for the "big boys" in the industry, it's good enough for you.

Actually, this is in reverse. Good design ideas are so good, the big boys know they should use them.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • Not to be a stickler, But I just gave advice about what you can do to avoid changing the logo and you show examples of the big boys doing what I said. In fact they double down as they change the color AND THE STROKE for all those covers. You would have to show me a white logo on a white backdrop (without a stroke) to make a real case.

The scenario we are working against is when you design a black/dark logo against a white backdrop. That's common. It makes sense not to notice on your FIRST issue because you had a light blue sky. But eventually when the backdrop gets complicated or night or space, you realize you need to make some changes. Not impossible to fix, but my advice is about pre-planning to avoid, not steps to fix.

If constant color changes are good enough for the "big boys" in the industry, it's good enough for you.

Actually, this is in reverse. Good design ideas are so good, the big boys know they should use them.

I think it must be the long work week, but I'm not sure what you mean in your post above.

I was saying that most of your points were spot on for logo and cover design (didn't say it in my previous post, but you are spot-on about the need to use different sized-type to emphasize what's important), the only point I disagree with is (if I'm reading you right) is that you are saying that the logo should use the same colors and stroke every issue. Am I correct? Is that what you were saying?

My point was – in citing those examples – was to show that using a single color and stroke throughout a series is not the standard in the comic book industry. 

I also marked a line up above in red: I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you expand on it a bit?

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Mike

edited August 2018

Well, I figured you didn't see that my first sentence was the context of the second.

You can always STROKE (Outline) your logo, use a drop shadow and a bunch of other things to make it stand out.

Or else you'll be changing its color every issue as the backdrop changes. 

Sure, you can change colors every issue. That's anyones' choice. I was just saying that one of the ways to use the same color for every issue (and background) is to use a stroke (the border around all those titles).

All of those examples have a stroke or another element that 'frames' the logo to make it standout better against any backdrop.. 

We're all good now.

-----------

So, I'm trying to make a MARS. I know it's red and has craters. So I made a red planet and added....craters. lol....

The thing is, what I see in all of these, is that cities are just lights - seen from outer space. Little dots of lights....in Grand Designer you can make roads and align the cities to the coasts so you get A TON of features to play with, but at the end- it's all just little lights.

I'll need to update my review of 2D because the city works, it's just that it ONLY works on the near surface and it looks like little lights. I thought I could add a city to the full circular planet floating in the center.

Capture_Mars_TRY_Grand+2D.jpg
    1150 x 1828 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2018

Well, I figured you didn't see that my first sentence was the context of the second.

Sure, you can change colors every issue. That's anyones' choice. I was just saying that one of the ways to use the same color for every issue (and background) is to use a stroke (the border around all those titles).

All of those examples have a stroke or another element that 'frames' the logo to make it standout better against any backdrop.. 

We're all good now.

-----------

So, I'm trying to make a MARS. I know it's red and has craters. So I made a red planet and added....craters. lol....

The thing is, what I see in all of these, is that cities are just lights - seen from outer space. Little dots of lights....in Grand Designer you can make roads and align the cities to the coasts so you get A TON of features to play with, but at the end- it's all just little lights.

I'll need to update my review of 2D because the city works, it's just that it ONLY works on the near surface and it looks like little lights. I thought I could add a city to the full circular planet floating in the center.

Interesting.  In that last image, Mars looks a little purple.

Post edited by Chohole on

That's me adjusting the hues so ignoring the color-blindness lol - that's a basic idea of what's on offer.

• Well, I figured you didn't see that my first sentence was the context of the second.

We're all good now.

Okay. Got it. Thanks.

That's me adjusting the hues so ignoring the color-blindness lol - that's a basic idea of what's on offer.

WIth the exception of the purple hue, that is what I’m looking for.  I just need a space shot of Mars that looks like it’s lived on.  I don’t need detailed looking cities.

edited September 2018

Not really satisfied with this one.  I'm struggling with motion scenes.

CyberPunk2077: Police Chase by tkdrobert

Part 2

CyberPunk2077: The Police Chase II by tkdrobert

Attempt 3:

CyberPunk2077 The Police Chase III by tkdrobert

• Great then. Man, you crank out those renders.

When I was SUPER into Robotech. Comico released a HORRIBLE comic version of the series. I bought and read it - although I hated every issue.

I would have been so happy if you were around then and could have made the Robotech comic.

This discussion has been closed.