Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Dave the temple is beautiful.

Chohole – all your renders are awesome and fairy-tale like. I also like the sunset one more.

These are my attempts on David’s 2nd tutorial on super reflection. For the second one I kept getting “Out of Memory” during the AAP. After many tries I stopped the render just before the AAP to save the image. This is the 1st time I experienced the “Out of Memory” problem. ???

Yes I had that too. If you have the system memory you can set Bryce Large Address Aware and that will help with this.

Well done on following the tutorials!

Rareth also, and you seem to be getting better looking results out of this effect than I am at the moment. Here's another experiment based on this theme. As you can maybe detect I'm still questing for a faux SSS to work within Bryce.

Alternate_reflection_supression1+4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 170K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Chohole – all your renders are awesome and fairy-tale like. I also like the sunset one more.

These are my attempts on David’s 2nd tutorial on super reflection. For the second one I kept getting “Out of Memory” during the AAP. After many tries I stopped the render just before the AAP to save the image. This is the 1st time I experienced the “Out of Memory” problem. ???

Yes I had that too. If you have the system memory you can set Bryce Large Address Aware and that will help with this.

Rareth also, and you seem to be getting better looking results out of this effect than I am at the moment. Here's another experiment based on this theme. As you can maybe detect I'm still questing for a faux SSS to work within Bryce.

well I played with it some, I did not put the Extreme Material in Metallicity, I just cranked it to 100 percent, but instead dropped Transparency to 0.1 or so.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

So today I've had a look at my other DAZ purchase. The Gritty Texture Tiles and Matching Terrain... Another David and Horo product.

I wish I'd had it when I did the illustrations for this product as I spent a long time trying to get a stone patio effect, So I put this scene together in less than 10 minutes today and then it took a few hours to render (mostly because of the ivy).

GeoFixIvy.jpg
    800 x 520 - 330K
    edited December 1969

something to think about is applying your extreme material to the base density of a volumemetric texture, getting some interesting results around 0.4 setting

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

David I don’t think I can set the Large Address Aware as I only have 3Gb Ram.

A few more using the super reflective tutorials. For the last one I changed the haze color.

Thanks David I enjoyed doing them. Now to try the reflectionless glass material ones.

superref7.jpg
    700 x 700 - 68K
    superref6.jpg
    700 x 700 - 121K
    superref5.jpg
    700 x 700 - 179K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Dave; The product looks great with those textures

Ok been experimenting again Vue is a lot more complicated than I first thought......but heres the first one you are supposed to be able to export the terrains and atmospheres don't know if I can get them into Bryce yet....

vue1pic.jpg
    852 x 339 - 200K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Temple is really looking good, though in the image with the sand I have trouble believing it's sand. The other image is another eye grabber.

@Horo: Thanks for the compliment.

@David: Fiddly would be an understatement. I found during my tries even 1 or .1 made a big difference. I ran into some crazy problems setting things up but still came up with some interesting results. BTW, your latest experiments are really nice.

@Rareth: Dragon is great looking.

@mermaid: Wow, I never came up with results like those.

Speaking of come up with results, first David introduces Minecraft and I'm absorbed for hours on end. Now he comes up with extreme material and it takes me 2 or more hours to watch two 10 minute videos. And I end up with 49 + different iterations. I was able to come up with similar results sometimes, but mostly something completely different. Below are some of my results.

Camera_n_Cube_48.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Camera_n_Cube_47.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Camera_n_Cube_40.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Camera_n_Cube_35.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Camera_n_Cube_5_4.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - looks great with the palms. The Geo-Fix: you're really a grand master of doing these kind of renders. Could be a photograph.

@David - interesting results.

@Pam - I was right, it looks great in daylight as well, less dramatic but the details show up nicely. Tree leaves look interesting. The sunset one gives a cosy warm feeling.

@mermaid010 - interesting results.

@Rareth - green dragon looks good. I hadn't had the time to look at all those videos yet.

@bullit35744 - the clouds look good, as if made in Bryce. The terrain seems a bit low poly. Nice picture.

@GussNemo - very nice effects, some give a 3D feeling.

edited December 1969

Dave, it gives me a slightly uncanny feeling seeing bits of concrete texture from my back yard, appearing in your renders. It also is very gratifying to hear you say that you wish you'd have the product before since it shows that as intended the things we make are good for saving people time. That's generally the exchange that I think is best, you pay to save yourself time. What we learn about how Bryce works we like to share for free, to encourage as many people as possible to expand their skills and enjoy the hobby.

Rareth, yes I have had a little think about extreme materials and volumetric textures, but as yet, I've not got that far in my experiments. Indeed, I'm still only halfway through exploring the new features of Bryce 7.1. I've got part way through the sky lab, done a bit with anisotropic effects, not even started with instancing... It's a very deep rabbit hole.

No, I think with 3Gb of Ram it is worth doing. Great work on the abstracts!

And Jamie too... those look good to me (Prison Architect) don't get distracted from Minecraft (encountered the Ender Dragon yet? Got any Wither skulls?).

Ok been experimenting again Vue is a lot more complicated than I first thought......but heres the first one you are supposed to be able to export the terrains and atmospheres don't know if I can get them into Bryce yet....

Terrains possibly, atmospheres, almost certainly not except as backdrops - if you are lucky as HDRI backdrops - but I doubt it.

Continuing with the extreme materials... Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - reflectionless glass recipe 3 - by David Brinnen

Reflectionless_glass2_for_video_3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 117K
  • JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Many wonderful renders here. Pity I've been too busy with work and garden to participate. Putting up plum, peach, strawberry and fig jams, plus canning pickles and going camping to boot. It's a full life.

Couldn't wait to play around with David's extreme effects, so here's a doodle using the Bryce trout and the neon effect with IDL. The trout is much more uniform than the dragon, so maybe not such a good model for this. Still, the effect is not bad. Hope to play more.

2_Trout.jpg
    640 x 480 - 62K
    edited July 2013

Guss - you got some interesting effects too.

David - okay I will set up the Large Address Aware for Bryce and re-render the "out of memory" one Thanks

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

While doing the video for the greyscale converter, I played a bit with the posterise option for outlines.

WWoutline_A2.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 273K
    WWoutline_A1.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 216K
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited July 2013

Interesting abstract images , i really want to create some for my desktop wallpaper collection but after i'll finish my project to release (some) terrain construction kit with tiff files (height maps) for any 3d app.Thank you David for tutorials for abstract renders.
    Here is a planet surface with individual craters (4 types).May be not extraordinary but for those who wish to play with, here is the link for free download http://www.sharecg.com/v/70695/view/5/3D-Model/Planet-Surface-for-Bryce . Why individual craters and not a big terrain with lots of small craters on it? Because this is very hard to release and also each crater can be resized,flattened or rotated.

Planet_Surface_for_Bryce_final_photoshop.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 297K
    Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

ok buying Vue was a big mistake on my part I have asked for my money back .....It might work ok if you invest 300.00 more dollars to get the extra modules......and there is no support for it at their web site.......we will see wish me luck

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much. I only hope I can remember how all this is done so if/when I get an idea I can apply this method. Love your latest images, especially the first one. Cute.

@David: Thanks, David. As I said in my last post, I had trouble getting everything setup the first time I tried the tutorials; I attribute it to a squirrel in the machine searching for nuts. Seems the squirrel has moved on because I went through the tutorials again and achieved similar results as in the videos, images are below. Ah, no, I haven't encountered the Ender Dragon or obtained any wither skulls. I'm happy playing peaceful mode. Though with the click of the mouse I could be in one of the monster modes. Oh, I almost forgot, I watched the other extreme material videos using the dragons. Great work and easy to follow along, though I didn't actually try any.

@JStryder: The trout may not be as intricate as the dragon but they turned out well.

@mermaid: Thanks.

@cris: Great idea being able to create your own, exact size, craters. What you've done really looks nice.

As I've said, I had trouble getting the right setup when working David's latest tutorials, I blame it on a squirrel in the machine looking for nuts. Well, I tried both again and setup went off without a hitch, squirrel must have moved on. The nasty OOE showed several times while rendering the first image, and it wasn't until I lowered the MRD that the image finally rendered completely. And the image with the cube in the middle and spherical look when rendered, came out as well.

SO_Camera_n_Cube_15.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    SO_Camera_n_Cube_13.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    edited July 2013

Horo; like your cartoon people!! or should I say greyscale people

Guss; Very nice abstracts!!

Chohole: love the tree scene at night is my favorite

Dave; the Building is super ( can't spell tage mahal)

everyone seams to be learning a lot from davids videos nice work

This is just a picture I made.......no modeling, just a simple scene...Cottage in the woods

cottage_in_the_woods3.jpg
    1280 x 639 - 697K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@cris333 - interesting idea to have the craters individually.

@GussNemo - thank you. The first one looks like some embroidery, the second one looks interesting.

@bullit35744 - I wondered how long it would take until you discover that Vue is a beautiful program once you've invested a hefty sum for all you need to make it really worthwhile. I had participated in a Vue gallery forum some years ago and found the folks rather arrogant and not helpful at all. They scorned Bryce though I made them think a bit differently after submitting some renders. The site was hacked and the owner hadn't a backup so it went down for good.

I used that cottage also some time ago. You put it into an adorable garden.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    While doing the video for the greyscale converter, I played a bit with the posterise option for outlines.

These are impressive, hope you remember to cover the effect in a tutorial someday. I especially like the second image, it looks very much like it's hand drawn with a set of colored pencils. That's a rare result using CG!

edited December 1969

Another neon-inspired doodle. This one with a woody specular halo. For some reason, the specular effect was too weak to add any metallicity without blacking everything out. Perhaps I missed a critical step and will have to watch David's video again.

Side question: anybody know how to divide a Daz figure into separate objects that can be assigned separate materials in Bryce? This was my attempt - Boolean divided Genesis using Hexagon -- but Hex Daz & Bryce all treat the divided figure as a single object.

The DTE is still quite mysterious to me, and unpredictable, but I am starting to appreciate its value as an artistic tool seeing all the contributions to this forum.

Chopped.jpg
    640 x 480 - 98K
    edited December 1969

Horo- love the cartoon –grayscale outline - very cute

Guss – you got some nice effects

Trish - love the simple scene. I hope to do something similar one day. Is the cottage a freebie?

David - I set up the Large Address Aware as per your video and still have the same problem.

I copied this from my system info:

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 2.86 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.45 GB

Maybe I don’t have enough memory, anyway the Large Address Aware did not work on my system –Windows 7- 64bit.

I experimented a bit by reducing the Refraction and Transparency values. The problem was persistent, so I tried the MRD

The first image I rendered at 30MRD and the 2nd and 3rd 37 MRD anything more than 37, I get the “out of memory” error. The 2nd image is camera view and the 3rd director’s view.

Although a bit on the darkish side, I like the effects I got. Maybe I should try a radial. Thanks for the tutorials.

superreflection10.jpg
    600 x 600 - 44K
    superreflection8.jpg
    600 x 600 - 83K
    superreflection7.jpg
    600 x 600 - 45K
    edited July 2013

David - I set up the Large Address Aware as per your video and still have the same problem.

I copied this from my system info:

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 2.86 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.45 GB

Maybe I don’t have enough memory, anyway the Large Address Aware did not work on my system –Windows 7- 64bit.

I experimented a bit by reducing the Refraction and Transparency values. The problem was persistent, so I tried the MRD

The first image I rendered at 30MRD and the 2nd and 3rd 37 MRD anything more than 37, I get the “out of memory” error. The 2nd image is camera view and the 3rd director’s view.

Although a bit on the darkish side, I like the effects I got. Maybe I should try a radial. Thanks for the tutorials.

Hmn... I don't know then, anything beyond Bryce is a bit mysterious to me - except for Minecraft, I don't use that much other software. I'm still learning Octane, it is delightful to use, but lacks the flexibility of Bryce - you can't do what you want in Octane, you are limited by simulated physics.

Adding a radial alone will probably not help you much since the materials used have no diffuse response. The effect uses very low levels of haze that get amplified by the over 100% reflecting mirror. So to increase your light you could increase the thickness of the haze. Direct light sources will slow down the render also, unless you turn off shadow casting. And you will need to make something in your scene capable of accepting light - everything at this point may get a bit too bright. This is the problem you get with extreme effects, they can be easily tipped out of kilter. Probably why this feature was never put into start with. Very fiddly. But it that does not put you off, there's a lot of fun to be had making Bryce do things it was never intended for.

Edit. A Minecraft object generated stylized doodle.

Stylised_render_bryce1.jpg
    850 x 552 - 150K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited July 2013

Dave, it gives me a slightly uncanny feeling seeing bits of concrete texture from my back yard, appearing in your renders. It also is very gratifying to hear you say that you wish you'd have the product before since it shows that as intended the things we make are good for saving people time. That's generally the exchange that I think is best, you pay to save yourself time. What we learn about how Bryce works we like to share for free, to encourage as many people as possible to expand their skills and enjoy the hobby.

Rareth, yes I have had a little think about extreme materials and volumetric textures, but as yet, I've not got that far in my experiments. Indeed, I'm still only halfway through exploring the new features of Bryce 7.1. I've got part way through the sky lab, done a bit with anisotropic effects, not even started with instancing... It's a very deep rabbit hole.

No, I think with 3Gb of Ram it is worth doing. Great work on the abstracts!

And Jamie too... those look good to me (Prison Architect) don't get distracted from Minecraft (encountered the Ender Dragon yet? Got any Wither skulls?).

Terrains possibly, atmospheres, almost certainly not except as backdrops - if you are lucky as HDRI backdrops - but I doubt it.

Continuing with the extreme materials... Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - reflectionless glass recipe 3 - by David Brinnen

Very Nice... here is the Dragon from Recipe 2, only in this I put him on a reflective ground plan (blue button from useful and fast in pro materials) and gave the Dragon 80% diffuse white and now I have an ice sculpture.

after further experimentation, you have to be careful with how much diffuse you give depending on lighting, other wise you overdrive the diffuse channel. I tried using an HDRI for lighting and not only did things go south, render times went through the roof even with the DAZ installed low resolution HDRI files, using one of Horo's included ones drive the render times up even further. still with the right light setup it does look awesome. Kudos to David for sharing this with us.

Ice-Dragon.jpg
    875 x 875 - 507K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited July 2013

@mermaid010:

About your "out of memory" error.

You could try changing the Paging file settings.
    That lets windows use space on the hard drive as if it was Ram memory.

Click the Control Panel button on the Start menu.
    Click the System icon.
    Click Advanced system settings on the left.
    Click the Advanced tab at the top of the box that pops up.
    Click the top button called Settings (Performance)
    Click the Advanced tab at the top of the box that pops up.
    Click the Change button.
    Click the Custom button, the default is usually selected which is "System managed size"

Then you can enter an amount in Megabytes. i.e. 2000 Megabytes is 2 Gigabytes.

Both values can be the same. Mine is set to 8000.
    Once you've entered both amounts click on the Set button and then the OK button.
    Then close all the boxes with OK.

Windows will probably have to be restarted for the settings to take effect.

You can also have a look in you Startup programs to see if there is anything running at startup which you don't need. These all use a little bit of Ram memory.

Goto the search box on the Start menu and type "msconfig" without the quotes.
    and press Enter.

When the box pops up loook at the top for the Startup tab and click that.
    That will show you a list of programs that start when you switch your computer on.
    Usually not all of them need to be running, but you need to know which ones you need before unticking them.

If there are any there that you know you don't need to be running from switch on you just untick them and click on Apply. You will have to reboot for the settings to take effect. You will probably get a popup box telling you that you have changed something, just tick the little box to not show it again.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by StuartB on
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Very Nice... here is the Dragon from Recipe 2, only in this I put him on a reflective ground plan (blue button from useful and fast in pro materials) and gave the Dragon 80% diffuse white and now I have an ice sculpture.

Yes that works very well. It does have that look about it. Interesting that that should be so.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Yes that works very well. It does have that look about it. Interesting that that should be so.

works up to a point,
    after further experimentation, you have to be careful with how much diffuse you give depending on lighting, other wise you overdrive the diffuse channel. I tried using an HDRI for lighting and not only did things go south, render times went through the roof.

edited December 1969

@JStryder - thank you. David and I are currently working on Stylised Rendering and the effect is more or less covered by David's and my videos.

Nice woody specular. As for the DAZ figures, you ought to find the elements in the meshes listed (down arrow right of the rainbow icon for the families at bottom right).

@mermaid010 - thank you. Cool renders yourself. LAA: have you downloaded the Process Monitor as well? If yes, start it after you started Bryce and then set it to watch Bryce. You can see how much memory just Bryce alone uses.

@StuartB4 - are you sure Bryce can bleed onto the HD this way? If this really works, using LAA would be obsolete. I have the page file set and when creating panoramas, the program used for it does bleed out to it (30 GB and 1000 temporary files for one panorama creation). Bryce has never used the page file.

@David Brinnen - nice Mindcraft looking outline.

@Rareth - that dragon looks great. To speed up the render when using an HDRI, set Quality low and disable shadows. Shadows are not always needed. It depends on the scene.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Horo

@StuartB4 - are you sure Bryce can bleed onto the HD this way? If this really works, using LAA would be obsolete. I have the page file set and when creating panoramas, the program used for it does bleed out to it (30 GB and 1000 temporary files for one panorama creation). Bryce has never used the page file.

Not sure about Bryce in particular but it has helped in the past with various programs that ran in to memory problems.
    I just thought it would be something mermaid could try, and it should'nt cause any other problems and is easy to reverse.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK so I was bored and decided to have a go playing around with metaballs. This is the first WIP, and needs some work yet. It is a Fairy Light. :coolsmile:

Not quite certain how I am going to do hair though.

meta_ball_fairylight.jpg
    675 x 675 - 211K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. I agree, one looks something like a lace doily. I was just happy I could finally get something that resembled David's examples.

@Trish: That's a lovely scene, though I do have a "but." Love how almost all the colors blend well and the overall softness. The "but" I spoke of is the color intensity of the corn. To me, that intensive of a green is a big distraction, since real corn is a much darker green. Still, it a very lovely scene.

@JStryder: What a neat looking figure, and material. As to getting boolean parts recognized as separate objects, save each one as a separate file, or after rendering put them into the object library. As separate files, objects, you could assign separate materials/textures to each one before merging them back together. At least it seems to me it should be workable.

@mermaid: Nice job on those three. The center one gave me fits with the good ol' out of memory error. I tried turning down the haze, increase/decrease the outer cube, restarted Bryce and starting again but nothing worked. Until I remember the MRD was set high. Setting the MRD lower took care of the out of memory error. Something I discovered, which might help with light intensity, deals with adjusting the settings for the Sin filter of Component 3. A setting which displays a solid color in the final component window will produce no intensity. A setting which has a stripe to one side of center doesn't produce as much intensity as a stripe that's dead center in the window. I was very surprised that a thousandth or 10 thousandth change would enough to raise or lower light intensity. It doesn't look like much in the preview pane of the Mat Lab, but it does when assigned to an object. When I finally got the shape of your middle image, I ended up expanding the outer cube in order to capture more haze and increase light intensity.

@David: I knew that image was Minecraft even before reading the explanation. It really looks neat.

@Rareth: That does look like an ice sculpture, freshly cut. Nice job.

@Pam: That figure is so cute. Hair? A lot of metaballs thinned to almost nothing with a bit or rotation?

edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - thanks. No harm in trying; without trying, you never know.

@Pam - that's definitely a great result for a first try.

This discussion has been closed.