The Line Up - The Ideal Suspects - Now Commercial

V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
edited September 2013 in The Commons

EDIT on the 23rd of September :
I'm very happy to inform you that the line up is now released.
You can find it here :
http://www.daz3d.com/the-line-up

Please feel free to use this thread for any feedback or questions concerning this product.
Full Product Readme available here : http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/17044/start

Initial post :
Hello everybody,

while developing my "Briefing Room" (see also : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/23060/), I needed to create an "under arrest" image. And this gave me this idea of a police line up / police portrait environment (prop).

I always felt like finding my ideal suspect...

For now I have created :

- The line up + lights + cameras + 5 poses for M5 and 5 for M4.
The line up can morph more or less large. The line up pattern is for standard height characters, but I included the material for tall characters (until 7'6'').

The main idea of the prop is really to make line ups scenes, but since I told to myself that people would be annoyed if there was nothing around it, in order to allow wider angles cameras I also decided to add :
- A line-up surrounding room for wider angles shots,
And since I also told to myselt that people may also want to include the cop and witness side, I decided to add :
- An Observer room (to place the observers who have the recognise who was in the gang) with a "two way mirror" (you have to change the material depending if you are on the suspect side or the observer side),
And since these rooms had doors that could opened, but there was nothing on the other side, I decided to add :
- A very simple hall for renders "through the doors" or renders when suspect enter into the room.
For these last elements, I'm finishing the light/materials/cameras for Poser versions right now, before creating the same for DAZ studio.

So before going further with this line-up and the room, I come here to have your feedback and ideas of : "what would really be cool to add in this line up room". I already had good ideas coming from this forum, and it is time for me to come for a "fishing expedition".

Here my first two line ups.

The ones with M5 "Antic" characters is a Luxrender Render, the one with M4 Fantasy characters is a poser Render.

Post edited by V3Digitimes on

Comments

• jade monkeyjade monkey Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

cool! i'd love this-- never had the patience to make my own, haha!
    as far as ideas, hmm, maybe centimeter/meter heights as well as feet/inches?
    i'm gonna have to think a little more!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Oh jade monkey has a good idea. Not everyone is from the USA, so having textures those who live "across The Pond" are used to seeing, might be a plus. ~wink~

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Do want =P~ I loved The Usual Suspects :D

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

There's an older M4 product in the store with a lineup wall. I use that prop *all the time* when doing character roughs for determining the different characters in a projects' heights relative to one another. It's a *very* useful thing to have in one's runtime, even if it never makes it into an actual render.

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

Anything to do with cops and robbers is a must have for me!

I think having a new and a dirty or rundown textures would be pretty cool. Not all cop stations are going to be well funded in some areas. Maybe an abandon version for the zombie apocalypse?

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

love it!!! and could totally use it !!!

• BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

I love your renders *lol* and the Prop is a great Idea, so many possibly uses...

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    edited December 1969

Hello all!
    I did not answered yesterday, I was very very busy going further on the poser version, and I was fighting, struggling and suffering against the development of corridor lights!
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback, that's a real pleasure to see that people love this idea!

This is a great idea to have the metric system and to use it for characters measurements (yet I'm european too!). So today I developed the "cm" version of the product.
    And I've checked all is scaled correctly, using 1 meter daz cubes, and 3 inches daz cubes. I have the "new" version of the cm line up, and still have to create the "old" version, the one which naturally looks older.
    I post two renders (that I have also used to test V6 for the first time!).

Concerning the wall textures, I agree that a dirty texture may be interesting, but I'm not sure I'll be able to develop it (in term of what I have as textures and time to create and optimise) - but I'll have a look at it at the end, I promise. I first want to finish the whole thing properly on all the softwares before looking further at it. Yet the basic wall texture is not so clean - but not so dirty too. I created it so that it could cover the largest panel of situations.

Now today, I've checked that V6 was trying to cheat on her height. First, she was using high heel shoes. And when I asked her to remove them, she stood on tip-toe... Does she feel so small? ;-)

1mIsAlsoCheating.jpg
    900 x 506 - 201K
    3footbasetest.jpg
    900 x 506 - 224K
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,328
    edited July 2013

Kadix said:

This is a great idea to have the metric system and to use it for characters measurements (yet I'm european too!). So today I developed the "cm" version of the product.
    And I've checked all is scaled correctly, using 1 meter daz cubes, and 3 inches daz cubes. I have the "new" version of the cm line up, and still have to create the "old" version, the one which naturally looks older.

Thank you so much for working on this product.

There is also a freebie around to messure models that I am very greatfull about but I do prefer official "products" because that is the only way to make sure that there are no issues later with licenses.

I am especially greatfull for the metric system version.

Just one request:

It is kind of a huge deal if someone is 1m 60cm or 1m 80 cm

What really would help a lot if there were more lines between for 1m 10cm, 1m 30cm, 1m 50, cm, 1m 70cm, 1m 90cm

For my taste you would not need to put the numbers on those additonal lines as well.

The lines itself would be a great help to give a more closer impression how tall the figure really is.

- - -

One additonal idea would be to have shorter lines close to the number for even smaller increases 1m 65, 1m 75, 1m 85 etc.

- - -

In any way feel free to do it your way as you feel it to be optimal to your artistical taste.

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Kadix said:

Thank you so much for working on this product.

There is also a freebie around to messure models that I am very greatfull about but I do prefer official "products" because that is the only way to make sure that there are no issues later with licenses.

I am especially greatfull for the metric system version.

Just one request:

It is kind of a huge deal if someone is 1m 60cm or 1m 80 cm

What really would help a lot if there were more lines between for 1m 10cm, 1m 30cm, 1m 50, cm, 1m 70cm, 1m 90cm

For my taste you would not need to put the numbers on those additonal lines as well.

The lines itself would be a great help to give a more closer impression how tall the figure really is.

- - -

One additonal idea would be to have shorter lines close to the number for even smaller increases 1m 65, 1m 75, 1m 85 etc.

- - -

In any way feel free to do it your way as you feel it to be optimal to your artistical taste.

Hi, I'm the guy that made the freebie which you mention. Is there something I could put with the freebie that will help to make the licensing issues go away? I honestly don't care what it is used for, renders, videos, commercial displays, etc. as long as no one includes it with their own products and tries to make money from selling it. But, I understand your concerns and would like to make it easier for you.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

I agree with linvanchene's sggestions, both at having the 1.10, 1.20, 1.30 etc.. instead of jumping 20 between the height numbers. I also really like the idea of having a short line for every 0.5 to indicate that. Being able to see 1.50, 1.55 (even with a short line and no numbers) and than 1.60 would be great. As I tend to shorten my characters fairly often *smiles*

edited December 1969

Slosh said:

Hi, I'm the guy that made the freebie which you mention. Is there something I could put with the freebie that will help to make the licensing issues go away? I honestly don't care what it is used for, renders, videos, commercial displays, etc. as long as no one includes it with their own products and tries to make money from selling it. But, I understand your concerns and would like to make it easier for you.

I made a new "general" thread about this in order not to derail this one.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25199/

edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    I agree with linvanchene's sggestions, both at having the 1.10, 1.20, 1.30 etc.. instead of jumping 20 between the height numbers. I also really like the idea of having a short line for every 0.5 to indicate that. Being able to see 1.50, 1.55 (even with a short line and no numbers) and than 1.60 would be great. As I tend to shorten my characters fairly often *smiles*

Hello all,
    That's OK, I've made the 10 cm version, you can see one image here with Justin. Now that would be nice if anyone could confirm to me that justin is 1.7 m tall. I'm pretty sure of my pattern scale since it is ok with DAZ basic 1 meter cubes, but one never knows.

I tested the 5 cm ones line up version, but I feel it is too "loaded" or Heavy" on the renderings. One thing I wanted to mention is that, like in real identification scenes, the line up is on a step, so you'll have to raise your characters on the step. Yet it is pretty easy to put their feet on exactly on ot. You just have to watch the line up from right or left view, or slightly from bottom.

YET :
    For more precise characters measurements, I've also planed to include one or two (or three) "Police Portrait" Props in the scene (one for standard height characters, one for tall, eventually one for small ones), and I could make for these more precise than the full line-up prop. They are square based, and I just have to place it at the exact right height in the scene. This would be a prop dedicated to police portraits and replacing in the scene the line-up (remove line-up, load portrait prop).
    I'm showing you here what I have already prepared, you have a 2 cm precision. Would it be ok for your measurements need? Note also that for this one, You'll also have to raise your characters, but this time to have their foot on the room floor.

Every2Cm.jpg
    896 x 1357 - 448K
    JustinIs170cm.jpg
    900 x 506 - 61K
    edited December 1969

Kadix said:

I tested the 5 cm ones line up version, but I feel it is too "loaded" or Heavy" on the renderings.

Thats ok. For renderings of course style and the look of it is important.

I'm showing you here what I have already prepared, you have a 2 cm precision. Would it be ok for your measurements need?

That looks awesome as well!
    Thank you for taking the time to implement this all so quickly!

edited December 1969

Hello!
    Less quick this time!
    It took me long to answer but : Hurray !!! I spent the week on it and now I've just finished the full poser version (still have to beta test it on another computer), and begun the DAZ one.

In the poser version you now have :
    PROPS :
    01.One lineup prop, morphable more or less large, with 9 materials variations (3x3) : new, older and very old and for each one, metric system (every 10 cm), Feet up to 7 feet, Feet up to 7'6''. (this makes our 3x3)
    02.One "IdNumber", which is the card hold by the caracter in the line up. 5 materials number 1 to 5. 5 poses, corresponding to 5 M4 poses (even if card is parented, it requires an adjustment for the different M4 line up poses).

Other elements to support renders based around this line up Prop :
    03.One suspect room : dedicated to contain the line. Includes other elements such as a chair, a clock, a table, a rack of paper (+outlets, baseboard, switch, opening door).
    04.One witness room : contains two chairs, one table, one rack of paper, (+outlets, baseboard, switch, opening door).
    05.Two separation walls (between suspect and witness room): one with a small "2 way" mirror, one with a large one. Several materials on the mirror : mirror realistic, and mirror basic when rendered from the suspect room, glass basic + 2 variations of a reflective glass in order to see the witness reflection on the window when rendered from witness side.
    06. One Hall, for external renders of the rooms

And finally :
    Police portrait background, 4 total, (2x2), two for absolute measurements (100 up to 190 cm and 140 up to 230 cm), and two same already placed in suspect room (for wider angles renders). Which makes our 2x2. All of them are morphing too (like the line) more or less large to adapt to different camera angles.

CAMERAS :
    15 total : 4 for the line up prop, 3 suspect room, 3 witness room, 5 for the Hall. Individual load for p8 (and less), load all together for p9 and above.

LIGHTS : 4 sets : one for the line, one for the rooms, one for the hall. (actually 2 for the hall : one for p8, p9 etc, the other one for PPRO 2012, 2014 etc).

POSES : 5 poses with cards for M4 + 5 poses for cards themselves (5 equivalent for M5 are already ready on DAZ), I felt like making 5 standing poses without card, I don't know if I will.

MATERIALS : all the materials options mentioned above.

Now the job is to optimise all that for DAZ DSON Core.
    I was wondering if I was going to do them for DAZ3. I cannot guess how many people are still using DAZ 3. Any Idea?

Now a few renders : on two of them you can see the "all" different camera angles, on one of them, the materials for the mirror.. The Sci-Fi baby image is a render of one of the DAZ light I include and rendered on a "very old" Line-up.
    Any questions or remarks are welcome as usually!

05SciFiBabes3.jpg
    1198 x 873 - 461K
    04MirrorAndGlass.jpg
    1500 x 1542 - 421K
    03Cameras02.jpg
    1500 x 1542 - 362K
    02Cameras01.jpg
    1500 x 1542 - 348K
    edited December 1969

Hello, I'm pleased to inform you that I'm almost over, I just have to make the DAZ 3 version and poser 8 version beta tests on my (very very very!) old second computer to check everything is fine... thanks all for your advices and comments on this!
    A few of the last renders I think of for images...

UnderArrest.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 463K
    TheLineUpFromBottom.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 266K
    TheLineUp.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 293K
    SendThem.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Kadix said:
    Hello, I'm pleased to inform you that I'm almost over, I just have to make the DAZ 3 version and poser 8 version beta tests on my (very very very!) old second computer to check everything is fine... thanks all for your advices and comments on this!
    A few of the last renders I think of for images...

Do want =P~

And I love the reference to the Usual Suspects poster in the second render :cheese: :-P

edited December 1969

;)
    I'm beta testing it fully on a second computer during the next few days... For now, all works fine in DS 4.5 + version. Poser and DAZ 3 remain to be fully tested... It should not be too long...

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

WoooHoo it looks awesome, I can't wait for it to come out.

edited December 1969

Thanks for you enthusiasm TonyMouse! I hope this should not be too long.
    I the meantime I'll be off line during 10 to 14 days (I'm pretty sure I'll have no web at all during this period), but afterwards I'll be back to answer any questions concerning The Line Up!

edited December 1969

Hi!
    Released just today!
    I'm here for any feedback or questions (and to see your Line up renders if you feel like sharing!)!

edited December 1969

Kadix said:
    Hi!
    Released just today!
    I'm here for any feedback or questions (and to see your Line up renders if you feel like sharing!)!

WooHoo :cheese: Straight into the cart :-P

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot Bandit!
    I hope you'll have fun with it!;-)

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

I want to say thank-you. I needed a clean modern interrogation room and this fits the bill perfectly with the line prop removed. So now I have two uses for it, lol.

Auto-buy:)

edited December 1969

I want to say thank-you. I needed a clean modern interrogation room and this fits the bill perfectly with the line prop removed. So now I have two uses for it, lol.

Auto-buy:)

I thank you a lot!
    Gosh! I had not though at all it could be used for that! That's a good thing that the users have more imagination than I have....

Now let's go for the little tips (I could write a full book on each on my product) :
    If you want to render only the interrogation room, I see nothing particular to say.
    If you want to play a bit more and use the middle 2way-mirror and see well the characters that remain in the "external room" (the observers) AND the guys in the interrogation room, I could share some tips with you :

- chose the size of the mirror : you have two props corresponding to two different sizes (I prefer the larger one).

- fine tune the angle of the camera for both the "guilty guy" and the reflection of the observer to be well seen, for this you can temporary put the material reflection and opacity of the mirror at 100%, you go faster to place the camera (otherwise sometimes the observer reflection is hidden by the observer). When placed, you can reload the initial mirror mat, it is provided in the material section.

- After that, to see the observer's reflection more or less, you have several solutions : first increase the reflection (and eventually opacity) of the mirror, or second : put a spot light in order to increase the light going directly on the observer part you want to see in the mirror (but not increasing the light of the interrogation part of the room).

- In order to render for the render settings : it takes at least 3 rays depth - maybe 4 - (reflection through transparency), I like to use 4 to 6. Now if you have strange artifacts (happens both in poser and DAZ) either on the mirror sides or on a reflected part, it is not a problem of the prop, but a problem of how this reflection and transparency thing is calculated by the renders - they need more precise rays "to calculate clear". The solution is easy : increase the pixel samples, (the shadow sample I don't remember if it has to be increased or not), and decrease the shading rate : this works for DAZ and poser.

I hope you'll have fun, feel free to share your renders with me, I enjoy that!

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Kadix said:

If you want to play a bit more and use the middle 2way-mirror and see well the characters that remain in the "external room" (the observers) AND the guys in the interrogation room, I could share some tips with you :

these tips are excellent, thank-you. Exactly what I needed to know:-)

edited December 1969

Kadix said:

these tips are excellent, thank-you. Exactly what I needed to know:-)

You're welcome! Good luck for your scene, have fun, and... post here for any further questions - I spend so much time on my props that I should be able to answer 99% of the questions ;)