Not So Fast! A Contest For Mischief Makers

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Wow busy busy girl right now hey Sonja!!!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow busy busy girl right now hey Sonja!!!

Crazy busy in the summer, we spend as much time out and about as we can before winter hits again and we become hermits again lol

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

So your saying no matter what I render I am only going to get the $5 prize?

or do I still have a chance at the $50 etc???

When the contest started, a minimum of three moves were established to win any prizes. The requirements were to play an interactive game and do a render based on those results.   You didn't meet that first requirement of playing the game  but I'm trying for everyone to get something so you can do a render meeting the requirements for a $5 gift certificate if you choose to do so. 

edited August 2018
    barbult said:

Scrappy was released in 2005, so that makes him 13 years old. Who stuck you with that crappy Scrappy? laugh I guess technology has come a long way in that time. I'm sure you'll spruce him up. I still remember what you did with Hailey's Comet. That was very impressive, and I bought it because of what you showed off.

Well I feel bad as I jumped the gun a bit. Using the Surface Tool the entire thing highlighted but there were more sections in the Surface pane. It's actually quite good with zones. I don't know why they didn't select when I first used the Surface Tool but maybe the studio was jamming up, they're showing up now.  And I remember Haley's Comet, I did it in black, gold and copper I think. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I've refinished the entire Sun Hall for Iray and I'm pondering exactly what I want to do with everything else. I have some ideas, but since we have a while yet before finals are due, I figured I'd let it noodle a while. The reshadered Sun Hall is spectacular, though. I didn't know how big and interesting a set it was when I picked it up-- I think it was a freebie or super-discounted thing or something.

Doing DA Palm Island has gotten me looking at all the beachy stuff I own, I'm actually combining another beach scene with it, and the other one I have to do based on the contest (Fancy A Game Of Chess.) Some of the beach stuff goes really well with each other. 

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2018

Is anybody posting "concept renders"* and/or WIPs anywhere ?

I for one love the idea of getting inside peoples' heads... (why does that call up images of houseflies with frickin' lasers on their heads going for the earhole)

Also, I assume that we're each just allowed one single entry ?

*I like that phrase - it has a deliciously highfalutin ring about it!

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • Is postwork allowed?

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited August 2018

I have a concept in my head but I have been too busy to actually sit down and start.

But I am excited to get started.  I would be willing to post "concept" images afterward if that would work for you 3dcheapskate.  I'd prefer the first image shown to anyone be the final.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited August 2018

@nonesuch   Please no WIPs as the first reveal should be the entry.  One entry.  Yes, you can do postwork. Minimum pixels for each size 600 x 600, and in the post no larger than that (but the render itself can be bigger for people to see if they click on the one in the post.)

Your post should have the TITLE (YOUR NAME) at the top. I'd do it in bold and a different color.
    If you need to do a SMALL paragraph to explain the situation (like 3-4 sentences) that's fine. (This isn't a storytelling focus. Your art should stand on its own as much as possible.) 

The sets need to be use 50/50 as much as possible, and easily identifiable. All props must be used in a noticeable manner. 
    The judges will be looking at the quality of the renders, the creativity, meeting the minimum requirements, and how well you integrated everything you ended up with. 
    EDIT:  Include a list of your required products and label them like we had them in the Yes I Own It List. (Aka, Set 1, Set 2, Prop 1, Prop 2, Prop 3, and Character. PLEASE LINK because the judges have to check to see you used most/ a good balance of the sets and props. 

IF you remember what else you use, you can also list those too.

Post edited by Novica on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689

Okey dokey - looking forward to seeing what everybody comes up with smiley

Added this to the post above DUH, left out the most important part! 

EDIT:  Include a list of your required products and label them like we had them in the Yes I Own It List. (Aka, Set 1, Set 2, Prop 1, Prop 2, Prop 3, and Character. PLEASE LINK because the judges have to check to see you used most/ a good balance of the sets and props. 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    Novica said:

So your saying no matter what I render I am only going to get the $5 prize?

or do I still have a chance at the $50 etc???

When the contest started, a minimum of three moves were established to win any prizes. The requirements were to play an interactive game and do a render based on those results.   You didn't meet that first requirement of playing the game  but I'm trying for everyone to get something so you can do a render meeting the requirements for a $5 gift certificate if you choose to do so. 

I suppose $5 is better then nothing at all :D

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    Novica said:

@nonesuch   Please no WIPs as the first reveal should be the entry.  One entry.  Yes, you can do postwork. Minimum pixels for each size 600 x 600, and in the post no larger than that (but the render itself can be bigger for people to see if they click on the one in the post.)

Your post should have the TITLE (YOUR NAME) at the top. I'd do it in bold and a different color.
    If you need to do a SMALL paragraph to explain the situation (like 3-4 sentences) that's fine. (This isn't a storytelling focus. Your art should stand on its own as much as possible.) 

The sets need to be use 50/50 as much as possible, and easily identifiable. All props must be used in a noticeable manner. 
    The judges will be looking at the quality of the renders, the creativity, meeting the minimum requirements, and how well you integrated everything you ended up with. 

IF you remember what else you use, you can also list those too.

OK, no prosts. Since I CPU render on a old laptop I'll make a 4K HD render and that'll take so long to render as to remove any temptation for a pre-contest opinion.

So then if after the listing of the Yes I Own in products as in the Yes i Own It section, I should list the other products in just a straight list? They are only shader material products so they don't really fit the categorizations of the Yes, I Own It! format 

Yes, if you'd like to list shaders, etc that's fine. Only the items that we HAD to use have to be listed, but I'd think you'd want the judges to see the effort involved. (Say if you're kitbashing and  bringing other items in to a set, in addition to the two you have to use.)  Showing the shaders lets the judges know you are changing things up and not just using the originals. So there's no requirement to list additonal items, but it would work to your benefit. Certainly wouldn't hurt :) 

• LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401

@Novica, I'm just fine with the prize requirement rules you suggested. In terms of postwork - any limitations? I've been catching up on the Tips and Product Reviews thread, and some of the effects achieved with those Photoshop actions are really cool.

Have a blast. Your approach so far as postwork is your own choice. The only concern I would have is not obliterating the products to the point where they don't resemble the products, or lose too much detail-if that makes sense. Aka someone walking out of the fog and we're all wondering "Where's the set?" 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

When and where do we post our renders?

edited August 2018

My render is finished too, but I'll post whenever it's ready. It will problably be more fun if we all post our entries on the same day I think. Sort of like opening all the Christmas presents on Christmas Day.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Mine is almost ready.  I need to check to see if my "final" render is really final.

I'll get the thread set up this morning. :)   We won't be able to all post at the same time because I know I'm not anywhere near ready to post. Everyone has until August 31st. I know I have to catch up on real life things and hubby has a couple days off and we're super busy with honey-dos (Honey do this, honey do that.)

Please read the guidelines (which we already discussed) and how to do the post. :) 

Here's the thread. No comments on that thread, those go here. 

edited August 2018

Is there a list of what we all ended up with?  Not a big deal, I can go back and track it down.  I think I have my render semi planned out, if I remember correctly I have both an indoor and an outdoor set which was giving me fits as far as using 50% of each.  A fantasy tavern is a bit piece of real estate lol.  I've got it figure out now though I just want to double check my products.  I will be working on mine this week in between those pesky promos lol.

Never mind, I found it on the first page.  Those last updates are the correct items I think.  Going to be interesting indeed lol.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    I got an outdoor set and an enclosed indoor set, too. It does present a challenge.

Is there a list of what we all ended up with?  Not a big deal, I can go back and track it down.  I think I have my render semi planned out, if I remember correctly I have both an indoor and an outdoor set which was giving me fits as far as using 50% of each.  A fantasy tavern is a bit piece of real estate lol.  I've got it figure out now though I just want to double check my products.  I will be working on mine this week in between those pesky promos lol.

Never mind, I found it on the first page.  Those last updates are the correct items I think.  Going to be interesting indeed lol.

Yes, it is at this post.

Is anyone else having the sign in constantly problem again? That was fixed for me a LONG time ago, and I've had to completely re-sign in three times since this morning.  

@nonesuch00 thank you!

@barbult Yes it does!  I just went and looked and I was wrong, they are both interiors but still going to be really tough.

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited August 2018

One interior one exterior here too. Time to get creative!

Will my computer be able to handle everything?

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on

You don't have to use everything from both sets, just use half and half balance as much as possible. 

Oh I have an idea of what I'm going to do.  We will see if I can pull it off lol