More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,351
    Artini said:

Playing with Topaz Studio filters.

Great looking style. Which topaz filter did you use?

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533
    Artini said:

What tool is that, tkdrobert. Looks interesting.

Check your messages.

edited August 2018

Garrus

Mass Effect: Garrus

Probably should have used more filters to make it more NPR.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,862
    tkdrobert said:
    Artini said:

What tool is that, tkdrobert. Looks interesting.

Check your messages.

Thanks, tkdrobert.

Artini said:

Playing with Topaz Studio filters.

Great looking style. Which topaz filter did you use?

Thanks, FirstBastion.

Actually it was 2 filters, that I have applied one at a time, and then taking such 2 images to Photoshop,

putting the second image with "screen". It was funny, that it did not matter in which order,

I have put the images - the result was the same.

I have to dig out the exact names of the presets - will try that tomorrow.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited August 2018

This is a gag character for an upcoming episode of my show.

I'm using my no-budget toon technique, the geometry shell shader freebie and a post-processed stock photo for visual completeness's sake.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • vrba79 said:

This is a gag character for an upcoming episode of my show.

I'm using my no-budget toon technique, the geometry shell shader freebie and a post-processed stock photo for visual completeness's sake.

Very, VERY amusing. It has a nice look and blends into the photo okay (perfect for a comedy).

And I love the "Triple-R" reference! PERFECT.

edited August 2018

Ok, I have checked up the filter preset names in Topaz Studio, so here it goes:

"Graphic Sketch L" and "Highlighted Edges L plus".

I guess, it will not work equally well for all images.

Below is another one, using combination of these two.

Syntho45pic01g01.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 436K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

lovely effect Artini - thanks for sharing the process

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I've been trying to get the manga look and think this came out pretty good.  I used topaz clean filters, and also did some line art and paint over work.  @artini, I will have to try your method as I haven't used those filters much and love the look of your pieces.

Thanks a lot, head wax.

edited August 2018

Further experiments with layers and random filters.

Syntho55pic02ex02.jpg
    1650 x 1080 - 868K
    Syntho55pic02ex03.jpg
    1650 x 1080 - 679K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2018

Another color job, added to an earlier image created in b&w. The lettering is "CCN," which stands for "Collectors' Club Newsletter," and will be pretty obvious to the people who receive this image as a sticker on the outside of an envelope they recently received from me. I only mention it this way because I think the lettering is a bit hard to read, but in context, I think the people who will receive it will sort it out pretty quickly.

Hero Leaps CCN122.jpg
    2419 x 2470 - 2M
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on

wow that's terrific - capturing a 1950's feel with the colours 

Another color job, added to an earlier image created in b&w. The lettering is "CCN," which stands for "Collectors' Club Newsletter," and will be pretty obvious to the people who receive this image as a sticker on the outside of an envelope they recently received from me. I only mention it this way because I think the lettering is a bit hard to read, but in context, I think the people who will receive it will sort it out pretty quickly.

Artini said:

Further experiments with layers and random filters.

top one is good stuff ;)

edited August 2018

Sorry wrong place

Post edited by Headwax on

Thanks a lot, head wax.

Artini said:

Thanks a lot, head wax.

pleasure, great to see all the terrific work here ;)

• head wax said:

wow that's terrific - capturing a 1950's feel with the colours 

Thanks! That old 40s - 50s comic look is exactly what I was going for. I'm gratified that you caught that.

This is Empress Vhel, the main character of a comic idea I've cooked up called "Blue Space Elf".

You grow up watching cartoons like G.I. Joe, or Voltron or Inspector Gadget, and found yourself asking the question "Why do these minions and henchmen put up with such poor leadership? Why work for some douche nozzle who blames you for THEIR plan's failure?"

Well in "Blue Space Elf" Empress Vhel of the Dimera empire finds herself stranded on a backwater toilet of a planet called Earth, after her legions of warriors up and went "You know...maybe the reason we keep losing isn't the Galactic Defense Force, and their mighty robot Lazerion. Maybe it's her!"

• vrba79 said:

This is Empress Vhel, the main character of a comic idea I've cooked up called "Blue Space Elf".

You grow up watching cartoons like G.I. Joe, or Voltron or Inspector Gadget, and found yourself asking the question "Why do these minions and henchmen put up with such poor leadership? Why work for some douche nozzle who blames you for THEIR plan's failure?"

Well in "Blue Space Elf" Empress Vhel of the Dimera empire finds herself stranded on a backwater toilet of a planet called Earth, after her legions of warriors up and went "You know...maybe the reason we keep losing isn't the Galactic Defense Force, and their mighty robot Lazerion. Maybe it's her!"

Sounds like it could be a fun story.

vrba79 said:

Sounds like it could be a fun story.

Thanks. The name of the comic idea is part of the tag line "You used to be a huge deal, but now you're just a blue space elf."

And what good is an empress without an army? Here you have your basic Demira grunt. The passing resemblance to the basic mooks from the orignal Voltron series is wholly on purpose.

Vhel commands several thousands of such nearly identical grunts, before a couple clever ones up and go "...Say, there are way more of us than there are of her!"

Nothing else relating to the Demira empire is seen after the initial bit, as the rest of the comic would take place during Vhel's exile to Earth.

Here's just a style reference. I've given up on G8M ever meeting my anime needs, so I've been really digging into my older stuff. So here's a G1 blend, with some G2 hair and facial hair. The render itself is just a basic no shaders, headlamp only render, that I ran through my own sketch photoshop action.

This style reference looks great - well done.

edited August 2018
    Artini said:

This style reference looks great - well done.

Thanks. Hiro 3 and 5 with a little Michael 4 make a pretty decent looking guy.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited August 2018

Really been on a roll lately. Here's that same guy, fleshed out some more, with a couple of lights and my other toon post work applied to the render.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited August 2018

Another one for my daughters.  Hera from Star Wars Rebels

Star Wars Rebels: Hera

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    tkdrobert said:

Another one for my daughters.  Hera deom Star Wars Rebels

Ah, a new favourite, thanks! Incredibly well-done!

-- Walt Sterdan

edited August 2018

Very, very nicely done, vrba79 and tkdrobert, each of its own style.

Post edited by Artini on
This discussion has been closed.