Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited July 2013

Thank you Rareth.

Now Dave, these lines here, that sort of drag down across the water surface are interesting. (don't get me wrong, it's an excellent render) but you probably guess by now that what the render engine does with materials is where most of my attention lies. And here, with these lines, it's a good example of what happens when the virtual normal generated by the bump provides a result that lies on the other side of the surface on which the material is applied (oh for parallax mapping - that would be high up on my wish list of Bryce 8) - dirty fast self occluding parallax mapping working off geometry normals. Anyhow, if you tinker with reflection correction you will find these lines will vanish and you will get instead of a view at 90 degrees to the geometry normal, a reflection instead, devoid of bump effect where the bump gets too extreme. Or lower the bump setting - in the range 10 - 0 it's almost impossible for the DTE to generate a value capable of breaking the mapping - I would have been more confident but since I unearth the extreme alpha output from DTE - even very low values can be made into virtual geometry breakers.

Edit. On a new page so I will provide a picture to illustrate.

lines.jpg
    541 x 322 - 87K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Reflection correction it is then. I have to go out again tonight so I'll try and remember to set it rendering for when I get home.
    Thanks for the tip David. :)

edited July 2013

Reflection correction it is then. I have to go out again tonight so I'll try and remember to set it rendering for when I get home.
    Thanks for the tip David. :)

Reflection correction in this case I don't think will improve your image, the streaks look almost anisotropic (which I like) - but lowering the bump value might help.

Oh another variation. Last example but with refraction set to 10 on the inner cube, the cube made slightly larger and the FOV of the camera enlarged. (edit: and moved the sun around to change the haze colour via blend with sun haze option)

super_reflection6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 417K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987
    edited December 1969

Thanks Michael for your comment on the ice cream cone. Love the effect of the lighted models, your work is truly amazing.

Had some time this morning and tried:

Extreme materials - creating an abstract pattern with super reflection - by David Brinnen

I think I still need to tweak them a bit but abstracts are abstracts right.

I noticed, David uploaded another video. Thanks

superref2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 86K
    superref1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 79K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2013

I think I still need to tweak them

No, no...Mermaid, these are super as is. Love the first best...if you rotated this by 90 degrees, it would look like some kind of huge library of books :) Must give David's vid a look later on tonight.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Michael for your comment on the ice cream cone. Love the effect of the lighted models, your work is truly amazing.

Had some time this morning and tried:

Extreme materials - creating an abstract pattern with super reflection - by David Brinnen

I think I still need to tweak them a bit but abstracts are abstracts right.

I noticed, David uploaded another video. Thanks

That was quick work! Good... OK here's another variant, just upped the ray depth to 80 and increased the size of the inner cube to mop up more light, opened out the FOV and finally bolted on Horo's Extreme Wide Angle lens 300 degrees.

Rendered in less than 5 minutes on my machine.

super_reflection7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 656K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited December 1969

@Michael - those temples look very nice. Long render time? I'm not surprised. Nevertheless, worth the wait.

@David - great effect. Got to look at it once I have the present task off my table. The last one with the EWL shows nicely where the 180° are.

@Dave - apart from the issue discussed by David, a very nice setup.

@mermaid010 - good student, looks good.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

My latest. A tad of postwork on this one, to bring out out the mystery.

Moonlight_swim.jpg
    675 x 900 - 374K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Now that you mention it, I do see a few things in your neon - trip image. Two can't be talked about, but the object in the center appears, to me, as a tree trying to grow horizontally. It's either that or someone stuck in a bent backward position expecting a kiss. And no, I see no cubes because of Oding on Minecraft; which I must get back to, so many ores to mine, things to build. Your new videos are really great, and so are the results. During your presentation, you explained why using a sphere for the outer object is harder and won't give the same results. This is something I had trouble with some time ago when using a sphere to create abstracts. Information better late than sorry.

@Dave: That's a really nice scene. You're getting good use out of those new clouds.

@mermaid: Those two look really cool--if cool is said anymore. I see I'll have to try my hand, sometime.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

@chohole: That is lovely.

edited December 1969

Those palm trees along the shore are in the bin... corrupted file (ooooops, hundreds of trees not good).

Turned my attention back to my temple model (mostly built by multi-replication)... here's a quick render using (you guessed it) the HDRI pre-rendered skies from David and Horo.

TempleSkyTestALT.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 279K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

I sure have missed a lot!! everyone has some really nice renders.....I have been playing with Vue...just something new and affordable

edited December 1969

@David: The last image is really fascinating. Now that I finished my bowl of ice cream I'll have to re-watch those videos to give this a shot.

@Pam: That is a gorgeous scene. Love the slight play of light in the foreground. Very nice work.

@Dave: That is a magnificent model. And those clouds are a good choice.

edited July 2013

Beautifully composed image Pam, my only observation is that there seems to be a lack of deep shadows, given the predominant light source of the moon. Of course night images are very tricky. What with rendering being so dependent on light and the night, being, well, traditionally associated with a distinct lack of light.

Dave, your temple looks very good under this sky and whole render has a pleasing painterly quality. (edit, looking at your shadows I see that there appears to be two suns on this world, the effect is very nice due to changes in colour and you've captured a lot of detail in the shadow regions) - must have taken a while to render?

edited December 1969

Gave David's first new video a try and here are some of the results.

Camera_n_Cube_4.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Camera_n_Cube_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 213K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Gave David's first new video a try and here are some of the results.

Interesting results on the top render, I can see the default Bryce sky in the reflection, complete with clouds. The lower one, that's as per the video, but still, well done for getting it to look right, the balancing is somewhat fiddly I found.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited December 1969

@Pam - very nicely done. A fairy place with a lot of detail. I'm sure it would also look great in daylight.

@Dave - the temple is really great. Good to see that you're back at it.

@GussNemo - nice results.

edited December 1969
    Fast_style_render2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 427K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Savage...looks great...I recall there was a sandy, deserty surrounding terrain to your last version, how would it look with a water surround - great reflections, I bet.

Jay

edited December 1969

Dave, your temple looks very good under this sky and whole render has a pleasing painterly quality. (edit, looking at your shadows I see that there appears to be two suns on this world, the effect is very nice due to changes in colour and you've captured a lot of detail in the shadow regions) - must have taken a while to render?

Here comes eagle eyed Brinnen :-)
    Yes, David, I placed a blue radial light to light up the darker side of the building. I made it blue to lessen it's obviousness and to pick up the bluishness of the material. The render time wasn't too long really, Just a tad over 2 hours (premium, soft shadows, blurred reflections, TA, 256RPP). Apart from the small bits of glass in the windows, there is nothing too render intensive in the picture.
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Savage...looks great...I recall there was a sandy, deserty surrounding terrain to your last version, how would it look with a water surround - great reflections, I bet.

Jay

I did think about trying to make some sort of Taj Mahal type gardens with little ornamental ponds to reflect it in, but as it's taking so long to even just get the building right (mostly because I keep putting it to one side for months at a time), I'm not sure that adding to it is a good idea if I'm ever going to get it finished, packaged and available to everyone. :)

Having said that, I may try to knock together a quick oasis render later on.

Last night while I slept, my faithful and hard working computer (I'll bet my Mac wishes it couldn't run Bryce lol!!!) was slogging away at this render which again is the temple in it's default colours (only one Sun this time David). This version has the full temple including it's outer wall and the highest resolution (3840) pre-rendered HDRI sky.

TreesAndSkyTest.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 404K
    edited December 1969

Here comes eagle eyed Brinnen :-)
    Yes, David, I placed a blue radial light to light up the darker side of the building. I made it blue to lessen it's obviousness and to pick up the bluishness of the material. The render time wasn't too long really, Just a tad over 2 hours (premium, soft shadows, blurred reflections, TA, 256RPP). Apart from the small bits of glass in the windows, there is nothing too render intensive in the picture.

It would be rude not to notice things when you've got to the trouble of posting up your render. Incidentally the website seems a lot better behaved to me than it has been in the past. Did something get fixed? Or did they just stop meddling with it?

A little something else for those feeling adventurous.
    Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - reflectionless glass recipe - by David Brinnen

This is me not catching up on my housework having escaped from proper work for the moment.

Reflectionless_glass1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 157K
    edited December 1969
    Reflectionless_glass2_1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 146K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Pam - very nicely done. A fairy place with a lot of detail. I'm sure it would also look great in daylight.

Tried it in the Afternoon, and again in late sunset. Himself likes the sunset one.

sunset_mystic_hollow.jpg
    675 x 900 - 441K
    Afternoon_in_Mystic_Hollow.jpg
    675 x 900 - 526K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Horo said:

Tried it in the Afternoon, and again in late sunset. Himself likes the sunset one.

I like the sunset one more, myself. to me its more emotive.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987
    edited December 1969

Dave the temple is beautiful.

Chohole – all your renders are awesome and fairy-tale like. I also like the sunset one more.

These are my attempts on David’s 2nd tutorial on super reflection. For the second one I kept getting “Out of Memory” during the AAP. After many tries I stopped the render just before the AAP to save the image. This is the 1st time I experienced the “Out of Memory” problem. ???

superref4.jpg
    567 x 579 - 236K
    superref3.jpg
    700 x 700 - 121K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Love this material, with some tweaking its very useful..

bryce-Dragon-metalized.jpg
    875 x 875 - 531K
  • M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

... Still playing with outlines here...

I feel a new competition coming on here: The DB Guess What the Heck it is Competition.
    My answer: A gaggle of hippies hugging a broken Joshua tree? :-)

It's a good effect non the less.

Thanks Dave! I did nearly say when I posted this image that I thought it was just on the border of abstraction. Knowing what it is of, I can only see my original idea as opposed to the acid flash back to the 60's. That has given me an idea though... not to rush out in search of LSD... but I'll see if anything comes of it before I say more.

Thank you also Jamie. Are you seeing hippies? Or are is everything still cubes as a result of a Minecraft OD?

Michael, yes, all those transparencies... you are not afraid of long renders, that is clear! Metaspheres and transparencies, CPU's must tremble in terror when then they see you approach the keyboard!

Thanks David! My computer certainly trembles when it sees me coming, lol... I think it's getting a bit tired.

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

Jay

I did think about trying to make some sort of Taj Mahal type gardens with little ornamental ponds to reflect it in, but as it's taking so long to even just get the building right (mostly because I keep putting it to one side for months at a time), I'm not sure that adding to it is a good idea if I'm ever going to get it finished, packaged and available to everyone. :)

Having said that, I may try to knock together a quick oasis render later on.

Last night while I slept, my faithful and hard working computer (I'll bet my Mac wishes it couldn't run Bryce lol!!!) was slogging away at this render which again is the temple in it's default colours (only one Sun this time David). This version has the full temple including it's outer wall and the highest resolution (3840) pre-rendered HDRI sky.

I love this one.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    My latest. A tad of postwork on this one, to bring out out the mystery.

It's beautiful and mysterious... very well done.

This discussion has been closed.