Animation rendering times question from a returning water rat

For the first time in 20 years of using Bryce, off and on and mostly off for the last 6 years or so, I decided to learn how to use it's animation features.

Having downloaded the Bryce 6 PDF Manual and reading the section on animation it seems easy enough to use, but I am leary about how long a 4 or 5 minute 640X480 full animation render would take, considering that Bryce is still 32 bit, and not 64 bit. The animation I am planning is an extension of a Bryce idea I had way back in 1999 and involves some Bryce objects and some image maps. Nothing complex.

A general question I have is how long a modest 3 minute animation would take to render in Bryce; let's say an animation with a terrain, objects, clouds moving. I have found that Carrara animation is rather quick with animation scenes that are modestly composed, but Carrara is 64 bit. If Bryce takes forever to render just a 2 minute animation with hardly anything in it, and at a microscopic image size, then I will have to jump off the Bryce Titanic again, and swim over to the Carrara Titanic for animating. Yeah, both programs are sinking into the abyss in slow motion.

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited July 2018

For the first time in 20 years of using Bryce, off and on and mostly off for the last 6 years or so, I decided to learn how to use it's animation features.

Having downloaded the Bryce 6 PDF Manual and reading the section on animation it seems easy enough to use, but I am leary about how long a 4 or 5 minute 640X480 full animation render would take, considering that Bryce is still 32 bit, and not 64 bit. The animation I am planning is an extension of a Bryce idea I had way back in 1999 and involves some Bryce objects and some image maps. Nothing complex.

A general question I have is how long a modest 3 minute animation would take to render in Bryce; let's say an animation with a terrain, objects, clouds moving. I have found that Carrara animation is rather quick with animation scenes that are modestly composed, but Carrara is 64 bit. If Bryce takes forever to render just a 2 minute animation with hardly anything in it, and at a microscopic image size, then I will have to jump off the Bryce Titanic again, and swim over to the Carrara Titanic for animating. Yeah, both programs are sinking into the abyss in slow motion.

You need to see the Key-Flame Tutorial series. Start here and read every word and watch every video. I'm certain youll have all the info you'll ever need. Oroboros has done a truly brilliant job of making sense of what he has named the Advanced Animation Lab (AML) with good reason. All the best!!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45629/bryce-animation-brain-dump-was-key-flame-a-m-l-basic-intro/p1

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
  • FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 471

Rashad Carter,

Thanks, I will watch the videos.

Are there any large Bryce Animation Galleries on the Web so that I can get a good idea of what is possible with Bryce animmation?

• FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 471
    edited August 2018

How do you upload animations here, or is that not allowed.

Post edited by FONSECA on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited August 2018

You need to upload to YouTube or somewhere else and post the link here e.g.

Animated Cascade

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/504192120760103870/

I don't have a YouTube account so I converted the file to Gif.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited August 2018

How do you upload animations here, or is that not allowed.

you can embed your youtube and Vemio video links into the daz forum using the source button above

example below this is one i just released using daz studio i have embedded

Post edited by Ivy on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Wonderful, Ivy!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

Yeah, nice one, Ivy (and said-mentioined associates/contributors in credits)..took a lot of time to render, I would imagine...

Jay

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2018

Although Rashad gives very good advice for learning the full use of keyframes and the AML, it doesn't really answer your question.

The animation parts of this were all done in Bryce, The main feature starts about 1.30 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTA-fpCQh1s

The average render time per frame was 8 minutes and there are 24 frames per second. So one second of animation took an average of 3 hours and 20 minutes.

I was mostly rendering at only 640x360px and the finished video was projected onto a large screen sucessfully. I never "render to disc" as I find it very glichy and I always render to .avi as my video editing software likes that format.

When doing animation you can dispense with a lot of the detail you need in a still render as long as the action keeps moving along, it distracts to some extent from the lack of fine detail. It's much better to keep plugging away at optimising the elements of your scene (materials, lighting etc) and doing a single frame render then multiplying that for an accurate estimate of total render time than it is to render and just hope you got it right. A few hours optimising can and usually will save 4 hours on rendering time.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by Dave Savage on