Gia Tutorial

DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm currently working on a tutorial that will show users how to recreate one of the promo renders for Gia. The tutorial isn't finalized but I thought I'd share what I have so far. I'm definitely open to suggestions, so let me know what you think.

Here is the link: http://youtu.be/msw2KyQBlug

Comments

• lface8lface8 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tutorial, Jared. Although I don't have Gia (or V6 for that matter) I'm sure it could still come in handy for what I do have. Especially on the lighting front as that's always been a problem area for me.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

lface8 said:
    Thanks for the tutorial, Jared. Although I don't have Gia (or V6 for that matter) I'm sure it could still come in handy for what I do have. Especially on the lighting front as that's always been a problem area for me.

One of the reasons I walked through each light rather than doing lighting with a lighting preset was to show the lighting process, though it does make the tutorial rather long. You are absolutely right, the lighting techniques can be used for any figure, not just Gia or V6.

• lface8lface8 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

I don't have an issue with the length of the tutorial since I tend to learn things better with a visual aid as opposed to just reading a tutorial.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

Thanks for this, neat to see just what the promo settings are.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I really like this. Lighting is my bane, so it is great to see how you did it. You are aweome Daz_Jared. =-)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Wow, this is great! I don't have Gia yet (looking forward to getting her when I can afford to) but I'm definitely trying it out with V6, and the lighting aspects with my Genesis characters. Thank you for sharing this!

• ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited December 1969

I'm on the same boat, lighting is very difficult to figure out. Thanks Daz Jared!

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    It was very good, although there were a few 'magic numbers' being thrown around, presumably extracted from the original promo scene. The most obvious was at the end when numbers just 'appeared' out of the air for focal distance and f/stop. I always have to switch to the perspective view, select the camera, fudge with the settings to get the box to surround my character, etc., etc... It's never quite that 'oh, here are some numbers!' easy. ;)

There was another point where the camera was set up at a particular angle, and then between words, *poof* it was at a different angle.

Of course I imagine my process is painfully inefficient, with multiple test renders, usually running for hours while I go to work, until a final 10-20 hour render with everything in place...

It was very useful, though, and I liked it! I mainly just wish I knew how to decide where to put those lights, or tweak the camera, but that's the 'That's $1 for the nail, $999 for knowing where to put it' part. :)

-- Morgan

• fairyfantasticfairyfantastic Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

thnk u great tutorial like others i dont have gia or v6 but its does help for many other models like others i also have probs on lighting and this tut will sure help me on many renders i do xx

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 1969

The video was interesting. You didn't mention shadow settings for the lights. Will that be added as you continue the tutorial?

edited December 1969

I'd love if there were a pdf I tend to learn better from written instructions with pictures however I thank you for the tutorial I know I will learn much from this.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Wow, you were reading my mind, Jared! I was just thinking the other day that it sure would be nice to see how the lighting and render was setup for the promo pics. So often, mine and many others' efforts fall way short. I have a good idea of what I want from years of photography, but setting up the specifics in DAZ Studio can be a challenge, but this really revealed the things that need to be done instead of me wasting time on stuff that's not so important, so it's not so much of a challenge in DAZ Studio after all! It's really nice to know that good renders can really come out of DAZ Studio/3Delight directly without having to go the route of converting to other render packages or Photoshopping everything.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Cypherfox, I think you made some excellent points about the magic numbers etc. I'll see if I can't incorporate more explanation as to why I'd use those numbers (to bee 100% honest I'm not sure on some of them, I'd have to ask Tony, since he was the brains behind the scene). I did see where the camera jumped, and I realized that was just bad editing on my part. I must have re-framed the scene, but left the old framing in the first part of the video.

Hopefully there will be a finalized version of the tutorial soon (not DAZ soon, Jared soon which may or may not be faster than DAZ soon... we'll see).

edited December 1969

Hmm. tried this tutorial, but I have the gia starter package. which didn't come with the hair. I don't also have the indicated pose or the textures, or the rocks drops package.

Looks like fun, but no can do without this content.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Hmm. tried this tutorial, but I have the gia starter package. which didn't come with the hair. I don't also have the indicated pose or the textures, or the rocks drops package.

Looks like fun, but no can do without this content.

the tutorial is more based on the lighting set up - what content you use can be up to you. :D Try it with V4 or Genesis (original) or another figure.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I'd love if there were a pdf I tend to learn better from written instructions with pictures however I thank you for the tutorial I know I will learn much from this.

Me too ... pdfs are easier to learn from.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Me too ... pdfs are easier to learn from.
    Me three. :coolsmirk:
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited September 2014

Oh wow, I was looking for this thread! Thanks for the bump, Miss B! :-)

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Wow, I would like more tutorials like that! For V5, M5, V6 and the others! Also, if it is possible, I would like to learn how to create my own interactive lessons.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

Nice tutorial. Glad to see the smart content still works for someone. None of my humans show up in the Figures area under smart content. I have to use the old Content Library tab.

edited December 1969

Oh wow, I was looking for this thread! Thanks for the bump, Miss B! :-)

You're quite welcome. I aim to please. :coolsmile:
    edited December 1969

ropeman said:
    Nice tutorial. Glad to see the smart content still works for someone. None of my humans show up in the Figures area under smart content. I have to use the old Content Library tab.

I've never used the Smart Content tab. I've been playing in DS since version 2, and neither it nor version 3 had it, so using the Content Library tab has always been the way I'm used to working.

I guess for folks new to DS with version 4.0/4.5/4.6, the Smart Content tab seems the easier way to go.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

ropeman said:

I use both the Content Library and Smart Content. Both seem to work OK for me. Have you done Content DB Maintenance, Resetting the Database first and then Re-Import Metadata?

• GuptatsgGuptatsg Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

Good tutorials for starters or beginners, If Poss, Can we have, similar tutorials for Victoria 6 with tutorial scene.duf file :-)
    is the Gia scene tutorial file available??

thanks

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

Interesting tutorial, but I definitely agree, a lot more explanation about the camera and lighting settings is necessary. It's nice to see the numbers, but it's more helpful to know and understand why those numbers were being used.

Also, a little more detail about the hair and bikini textures that were used would be appreciated. Unless the presets are going to be made available, people trying to follow the tutorial are going to have a hard time matching those settings.