Why is FBX file formats not working well in Bryce but no problems with OBJs?

launoklaunok Posts: 778
edited July 2018 in Bryce Discussion

I have some files which have both FBX and OBJ in rar.  Only OBJs open well but FBX are behaving strangely.  Many files I have is only FBX and thus can't use them at all.  I haven't tested them in Hexagon though.  The FBX files kind of seems ungrouped and when try moving object the parts breaks up.  Is this normal that FBX files do not work in Bryce well?

EDIT:  If you look at 2nd (middle) image, you will notice a large frame around the model of pair of jeans with the model in the corner.  Last image the model is ungrouped, though I have not use either 'g' or 'u' at all.  It automatically when clicking on the red model ungroups it.

Post edited by launok on

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited July 2018

Post edited by StuartB on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 778
    edited July 2018
    launok said:

I have some files which have both FBX and OBJ in rar.  Only OBJs open well but FBX are behaving strangely.  Many files I have is only FBX and thus can't use them at all.  I haven't tested them in Hexagon though.  The FBX files kind of seems ungrouped and when try moving object the parts breaks up.  Is this normal that FBX files do not work in Bryce well?

EDIT:  If you look at 2nd (middle) image, you will notice a large frame around the model of pair of jeans with the model in the corner.  Last image the model is ungrouped, though I have not use either 'g' or 'u' at all.  It automatically when clicking on the red model ungroups it.

StuartB  Not sure if you want to add something since nothing in your message, lol smiley

Post edited by launok on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,985

Laura - if you are referring to freebies, it is not Bryce but the model. I also have that problem with some freebies, not only FBX but OBJ models too, i just trash them and look for something else. If you got a good freebie in FBX format it loads without any problems in Bryce.

edited July 2018

@mermaid010, thank you for your comment.  Yes, correct, freebies!  Oh well, it then explains why many freebies, especially those from Archive3d are not working well, even some obj's.  I am looking for mannequins (i.e. for window shop displays).  The jeans is such a mannequin style model.  I have for instance downloaded models such as cars.  Some of them when exporting into Bryce, the parts are all scattered over the screen and no ways I will try assemble them.  Trash those.  In other cases the model opens in Bryce correctly but they can't be ungrouped and thus can't texture parts as it's just one mesh.  Trash those too.

I think I must try making mannequins from the Generation and Genesis figures - just have to figure out how to 'cut' parts away.  Saw a model at Daz's shop for G3F if I am not mistaken but will have to put it on my wish list to buy if I can't make myself these.  I've looked for male mannequins but these are far less than women's.  There is one for M4 but will have to put it onto wish list too.  A person with the name of chacornac uses nice mannequins in his/her previews of clothing items at ShareCG.  Since he/she writes tutorials also, maybe have a tutorial on mannequin creation.  Lol, I got some freebie mannequins (obj's) but when opening them in Bryce all the textures are quite funny.  Purple or any other colour bodies and hair, even the shoe pairs have different colours.  But that's not hard to retexture since it's not a solid mesh.

Do you perhaps know which material will work better for human skin in Bryce as the terracota mat I use (from misc. basic materials in Bryce)?  And hair? - see only 1 dark hair in Bryce mats.

Thanks for any advice.

Post edited by launok on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,985

Laura - sorry I can't help with these type of models, I only use Bryce and Wings 3D. I don't work with male, female or mannequins. Maybe Electro-Elvis can help you or someone else.

Good luck in your work.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I have to admit I have always made my characters and mannequins from Daz 3d figures.   I have the M4 and V4 mannequin characters

https://www.daz3d.com/m4-mannequin

https://www.daz3d.com/v4-mannequin

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 845
    edited July 2018

Launok: Is that similar, what are you looking for? I have importet an G1 male figure (OBJ file) with the original skin texture (guy on the right side), then I changed the skin texture by using the plastic material from the misc material presets, but took the pipette to take the colour of the skin from the original texture (guy on the left side). Rendered with TA 64 rpp in 2 minutes. If you need more details I am happy to tell you.

g1mannequin.jpg
    670 x 670 - 34K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited July 2018

Launok: Is that similar, what are you looking for? I have importet an G1 male figure (OBJ file) with the original skin texture (guy on the right side), then I changed the skin texture by using the plastic material from the misc material presets, but took the pipette to take the colour of the skin from the original texture (guy on the left side). Rendered with TA 64 rpp in 2 minutes. If you need more details I am happy to tell you.

Thank you for your reply which I have missed earlier. Your image textures looks great!  It will be great if you can do a short kind of tut on how you got it. yes  Furthermore, I am also interested in how to make various mannequins, i.e. headless, without arms, etc. to use in shop scenes.    Unfortunately I can't afford to buy the V4/M4 mannequins Chohole has.  If you know how to do this with Genesis or V4/M4, any advice will be greatfully appreciated.

Post edited by launok on