Remapping a figure

Is it possible to remap a figure in Hexagon to take a different figure's textures?  or add more shading domains to an older figure?

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited July 2018

Possible? Yes. Worth doing? expletive removed, no! Use a program with better UV tools.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • I use 3D-Coat for such things.

• You do not need to re-map the figure to give it a different texture, if you have an artpackage which allows layers you could copy one to the other ( possibly using the clone brush) - Have you thought of buying a Merchant Resource from the store ?

I do not think adding shading domains is a good idea, try it but I would imagine things would go horrible wrong when you get the character back into DAZ Studio.

You do not need to re-map the figure to give it a different texture, if you have an artpackage which allows layers you could copy one to the other ( possibly using the clone brush) - Have you thought of buying a Merchant Resource from the store ?

I do not think adding shading domains is a good idea, try it but I would imagine things would go horrible wrong when you get the character back into DAZ Studio.

Not a different texture, a texture mapped to a different character.

• Ascania, probably the way I see things in my head, I do not use other peoples textures but I can visualise how I could use layers to take a V4 character and put it a Genesis 8 map.

If I've mis-read things (not understood things propperly) I'm sorry. 

Ascania, probably the way I see things in my head, I do not use other peoples textures but I can visualise how I could use layers to take a V4 character and put it a Genesis 8 map.

Let's go with something distinctive: How would you put Posette's map on a Genesis 8 figure without remapping?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703

You do not need to re-map the figure to give it a different texture, if you have an artpackage which allows layers you could copy one to the other ( possibly using the clone brush) - Have you thought of buying a Merchant Resource from the store ?

Um, Slight problems. I did not say I was taking the figure from Daz Studio in the first place.  I was thinking of a figure I found in the Poser default content not a Daz figure.

Ascania said:

Not a different texture, a texture mapped to a different character.

True that is what I meant.

Ascania, probably the way I see things in my head, I do not use other peoples textures but I can visualise how I could use layers to take a V4 character and put it a Genesis 8 map.

Again I was not talking about a Daz figure but a poorly mapped figure found in the Poser content.

Ascania said:

Let's go with something distinctive: How would you put Posette's map on a Genesis 8 figure without remapping?

You are now understanding me.  A figure from Poser defualt content might be Posette, but she is not the only one included that does not have the best mapping.  I found a figure called Gamma Girl.  I think she has potential if she is remapped and maybe rerigged or something.

I missed these posts.

I use 3D-Coat for such things.

Do not have 3D Coat. When I could have afford it, I went with ZBrush.  I assume the $99 version have some restrictions on usage.  Anyway I was having problems getting popcorn at a movie theater today which probably means no 3D-Coat for a while. Maybe Zbrush can work once I figure out how to remove the welcome screen pop up.

Ascania said:

Possible? Yes. Worth doing? expletive removed, no! Use a program with better UV tools.

o.0  Blender or ZBrush which one has better UV tools?  I have both.  Wait I did not buy Blender?  Shhhhh!  I found a free copy of Blender and am using it.

Okay, my ride should be here soon so I can leave the movie theater.

Here is my ZBrush pop up screen

zbrushpopupproblem.png
    1063 x 609 - 377K
  • I have ZBrush. Don't use it though. Hate the artist's workdesk metaphore it uses.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited July 2018

Sorry folks, I thought you were talking about DS stuff :(

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited July 2018

@ Miss Bad Wolf

This is the LightBox no one could avoid to pop up since ages but now we have a ZStartupMaster plugin for that.

I prefer the Blender UV mapping where you can select edgeloops and mark them as UV-seams, then going to the UV-Image Editor and unwrap even section by section with various options.

While in ZBrush you paint roughtly red vertex color to the areas you might want the UV-seams to be placed and blue vertex paint for areas you don't want to have UV-seams, then pressing a unwarp button and hoping ZBrush manages to get how you wanted your mesh to be unwraped - if not fixing and arranging UV islands with only brush tools is no fun. I'm talking about ZBrush 4R8 but don't think it has changed in 2018.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on

@ Miss Bad Wolf

This is the LightBox no one could avoid to pop up since ages but now we have a ZStartupMaster plugin for that.

I prefer the Blender UV mapping where you can select edgeloops and mark them as UV-seams, then going to the UV-Image Editor and unwrap even section by section with various options.

While in ZBrush you paint roughtly red vertex color to the areas you might want the UV-seams to be placed and blue vertex paint for areas you don't want to have UV-seams, then pressing a unwarp button and hoping ZBrush manages to get how you wanted your mesh to be unwraped - if not fixing and arranging UV islands with only brush tools is no fun. I'm talking about ZBrush 4R8 but don't think it has changed in 2018.

Does that plugin work with ZBrush 2018?