How Many Pages in Your Product Library?

Comments

• Payat ParinPayat Parin Posts: 980
    Karibou said:
    Novica said:

Best Buy had them as one of their Daily Deals back around February, and I picked one up for $125  (8TB)  

Good for you. I see one for $172.39 ( Seagate with 2 mos Adobe CC Photography), and another one at $159.97 (Seagate also) at Amazon. Comparing it with other brands, looks like Seagate is much more affordable. Product reviews says it's sturdy. Don't know how low it will drop during their sales event. Best Buy may not be good with returns compared to Amazon. I believe I can also work offline with all my Daz products in the external drive. 

Just my 2 cents... I have had no fewer than FOUR Seagate drives crash on me, and my husband has also lost one.  I could just have bad luck, but considering the sheer number of drives I own (both internal and external), I will never again buy a Seagate drive.  Invest in the $15 data protection plan.  I will always buy Western Digital for HDDs and Samsung for SSDs.

Also, not sure what your OS and internal drive-bay limitations are, but I just bought a pair of 4TB drives and installed them in Raid 0 (in Windows 10) to make the equivalent of a single 8TB drive.  It was cheaper than a single drive -- though I had to invest in double the data protection.  Just a thought!

ETA: I question my judgment when it comes to 3d products and financial responsibility, lol...

*** vs.  ***

I read bad reviews about Seagate too, that it crashes just like you said. Data protection plan sounds like a good plan in regards to value and security. It's just hard to get a sturdy technology nowadays, there is always a flaw in them somehow. Maybe it's true that there is no equality even with the same model and manufacturer. I should probably read Consumer's Report for an effective analysis of these brands.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

One is, how much have people invested in the hardware as well.

I already had a beast machine to crunch HD video, but this iray/render time- thing made me dig in more with a new rig.

The other thing I've often wondered is how do you use everything?

I do a comic that really eats products. I have a far reaching story planner- with loose scripts so I'm always making off products for use in certain stories.

Plus, I'm always using the store search to see what I own. lol

• ServantServant Posts: 754

52 pages over the course of 7 years. I thought I had a problem, but seeing the numbers here eases my mind a bit that I'm little more than a "casual", by comparison. :p

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556

Really ??? You don't take the freebies.

• Payat ParinPayat Parin Posts: 980
    HorusRa said:
    L'Adair said:

You made me curious, so I peeked at mine. Holy moly! At least I can say I've been doing this a bit longer, (by about 9 months,) and you've outspent me by a few thousand!

I'm glad your wife is an artist too and gets it. My husband would never understand. His car payment on a 2015 Ford Fiesta bought new is $201/mo. but I've averaged about $350/mo, just here, since getting involved with 3D in 2014. Fortunately for me, he doesn't read these forums!

Tis true. My 'Product Library' says 148 pages since march 2015, 'Orders' page says 132. Shannon understands but she still says I spend/spent too much, I've slowed down quite a bit within the last 3 months. If I was just starting I would do it all different. I could have saved money with all the pro bundles, other bundles, and other freebies, daz is giving away as incentives but I already own all the pro bundles and etc. Like a lot of other people, I don't see or get a lot of incentives, a very good reason to buy slower. So, if anyone out there is just starting, there are benefits to buying slower.

That's a lot of products to use. I would agree to slowing down on purchases. Initially I was excited and impulsive but it has gone down now, so purchases are declining for me. What is the difference between Full Price Value and Current Value?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited July 2018
    Karibou said:
    Novica said:

Best Buy had them as one of their Daily Deals back around February, and I picked one up for $125  (8TB)  

Good for you. I see one for $172.39 ( Seagate with 2 mos Adobe CC Photography), and another one at $159.97 (Seagate also) at Amazon. Comparing it with other brands, looks like Seagate is much more affordable. Product reviews says it's sturdy. Don't know how low it will drop during their sales event. Best Buy may not be good with returns compared to Amazon. I believe I can also work offline with all my Daz products in the external drive. 

Just my 2 cents... I have had no fewer than FOUR Seagate drives crash on me, and my husband has also lost one.  I could just have bad luck, but considering the sheer number of drives I own (both internal and external), I will never again buy a Seagate drive.  Invest in the $15 data protection plan.  I will always buy Western Digital for HDDs and Samsung for SSDs.

Also, not sure what your OS and internal drive-bay limitations are, but I just bought a pair of 4TB drives and installed them in Raid 0 (in Windows 10) to make the equivalent of a single 8TB drive.  It was cheaper than a single drive -- though I had to invest in double the data protection.  Just a thought!

ETA: I question my judgment when it comes to 3d products and financial responsibility, lol...

*** vs.  ***

The risk you have with two drives v one, is that double the chance of failure, and if one fails, you loose all your data. Raid 5 is probably the best compromise; 3 drives with redundancy, increased  performance, capacity and data recorver - if one drive fails. 3 x 4TB drives would give you 8TB of storage.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • StingerStinger Posts: 296

I hit 100 pages today.  Wooo hooo!!!  Buying since 2015.

• genejokegenejoke Posts: 128
    I'm on 66 and has been since 2012 or 2013. Not that impressive compared to others.
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2018

I'll pipe up here and say I use WD and have never had a failure, in 6 years.  I would recommend the WD Passport  (2TB) and the WD Easystore - 8TB one. My sons are video game programmers (talk about the importance of having good externals!) and they both have the same thing I do, and going on four years of extensive use and no failures. I won't use anything else but WD brand. I know there's bound to be "lemons" whatever brand people buy, but we've not had one yet. (We have seven WD's between the three of us.) 

I even accidentally rolled my chair over an old WD and cracked it so the cover on top isn't flat, it is gaping open- and it still works like a charm!

That data backup that was mentioned sounds like a great idea, but if it's a monthly fee, I would think putting that money into a second external (duplicating the downloads say, every couple weeks or once a month) would be more economical in the long run? Of course then you'd have to make sure you kept it up to date, but if you did your DIM downloads into a "Need to transfer" folder it would be easy. Just duplicate and transfer to the second external drive.  And when you start getting a lot of content, I'm not sure if the cloud based backups are feasible if they charge by data amounts. I'm biased though, I don't trust the Cloud not to get hacked, and I don't like other companies being in charge of the security of my possessions.  

And last- reminder to people- the store did indeed go down a couple years ago. People couldn't access their products. You need to download all your products. You paid for it, why on Earth wouldn't you have it in your possession?  That boggles the mind. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • I'm not sure how you count it in 'pages', but I have 1.2TB left to fill on a 3Tb Hard Drive.... a lot of that is very old stuff though that I still use quite a lot.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,713
    Novica said:

I'll pipe up here and say I use WD and have never had a failure, in 6 years.  I would recommend the WD Passport  (2TB) and the WD Easystore - 8TB one. My sons are video game programmers (talk about the importance of having good externals!) and they both have the same thing I do, and going on four years of extensive use and no failures. I won't use anything else but WD brand. I know there's bound to be "lemons" whatever brand people buy, but we've not had one yet. (We have seven WD's between the three of us.) 

I only use WD too, but there are some bad ones in between. I think I'm close to having bought 50 over the years and failure rate has been about 15 % I think. Though some have died because of wear and age, of course. I've also had one with a lot of weak sectors which are very slow to read and write, so slow (like 2 MB/s) that I gave up on it.

I highly recommend HDSentinel Pro, it will keep a constant eye on your disks and warn you if there are any signs of malfunction or potential problems. It can also do different types of surface scan which will detect different problems, like weak sectors. I'd never have figured out what was wrong with that slow disk if I hadn't scanned it with this program. WDs own diagnostic tools said everything was OK (I generally don't trust them, e.g. they reported a disk was bad and should be replaced while it was just the SATA cable that was bad). I always do a surface scan of new disks before starting to use them to see if everything is OK.

The family licence (5 computers, lifetime license) is the best deal. Support is outstanding.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/

Novica said:

I even accidentally rolled my chair over an old WD and cracked it so the cover on top isn't flat, it is gaping open- and it still works like a charm!

I wouldn't trust such a disk - just small grain of dust getting in may cause a headcrash.

Novica said:

That data backup that was mentioned sounds like a great idea, but if it's a monthly fee, I would think putting that money into a second external (duplicating the downloads say, every couple weeks or once a month) would be more economical in the long run? Of course then you'd have to make sure you kept it up to date, but if you did your DIM downloads into a "Need to transfer" folder it would be easy. Just duplicate and transfer to the second external drive.  And when you start getting a lot of content, I'm not sure if the cloud based backups are feasible if they charge by data amounts. I'm biased though, I don't trust the Cloud not to get hacked, and I don't like other companies being in charge of the security of my possessions.  

For cloud backup I use CrashPlan Small Business (they no longer offer Home accounts). Unlimited backup for $10/month per device. It can encrypt your data before they leave your computer, using your own private key, so no one can get access to them no matter what happens. Their support is outstanding as well. Very professional company used by Samsung, SanDisk, Stanford and many other big organizations.

hdsentinel.jpg
    1045 x 714 - 261K
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    nicstt said:
    Karibou said:
    Novica said:

*** vs.  ***

The risk you have with two drives v one, is that double the chance of failure, and if one fails, you loose all your data. Raid 5 is probably the best compromise; 3 drives with redundancy, increased  performance, capacity and data recorver - if one drive fails. 3 x 4TB drives would give you 8TB of storage.

You're 100% correct.  I'm now considering scrapping my present config and changing to that.  It seems worth the time and expense.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited August 2018

65 pages with Carrara products too, I thought I was way up in the too much spending ranking, lol. (The truth is I was away from 3d several years between then and now)

First bought: Victoria Clothing Pack 1, May 2002

First character bought here: Ziza by Thorneworks with her San Francisco hair. I think it was a Victoria 1

First DS update I had was DAZ Studio 2.3.3.146

I revisited Ziza after reading this thread applying iRay and modern techniques

60 Ziza revisited rdx33.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Jerife on
  • ZetharaZethara Posts: 67

I have 64 pages.  I thought it would be more, but I have a lot of products from other sources in my content. I didn't realize just how much stuff I had that wasn't directly from Daz!

Just hit 101 with Zelara + the $100 off discount deal. I don't even wanna know how much I spent anymore... surprise

• CGHipsterCGHipster Posts: 241

I feel like a spring chicken with my 24 pages, thank you everyone for removing my guilt laugh

• CGHipsterCGHipster Posts: 241
    edited August 2018
    Karibou said:
    Novica said:

*** vs.  *** 

I read bad reviews about Seagate too, that it crashes just like you said. Data protection plan sounds like a good plan in regards to value and security. It's just hard to get a sturdy technology nowadays, there is always a flaw in them somehow. Maybe it's true that there is no equality even with the same model and manufacturer. I should probably read Consumer's Report for an effective analysis of these brands.

Its funny to see this about Seagate... I have lost 3 Seagate drives all 2TB in under 2 years, they were all Green Barracuda's, seems they just make trash.  I will NEVER buy a drive from them again, here is a good lemon chart.  Worse for me is my last Seagate to go was my Backup Drive, all of my incremental backups from Macrium just Poof! Gone.

Post edited by CGHipster on
  • RasberriRasberri Posts: 265
    Novica said:

@rasberri   Yeah, but it's misleading. For example, I stocked up on the PC+ sale yesterday when the 50% dropped prices to 70% to 80%+ off.   There was almost a page right there.  My shopping strategy is to use the PC+ as new items for the other promotions that require them. I may get the PC+ items right before they switch to the lesser discount, but usually not. Ever since they raised the price and went to the PC+ format, and I don't need more long dresses, Victorian stuff, etc- I just don't buy unless those get really discounted. So when a sale like yesterday happens, it inflates my Product Library, that's for sure! (with cheapies.) 

If you're doing 3+ pages a month, you're hoofing it! 

People will also do more pages a month when first starting out because of all the PC+ stuff they can scoop up. The more you get which isn't PC+, the less you can pick up during sales so you slow waaaaay down. The Victoria sale this past week- I am guessing but I think I may have gotten ten things for the week. (and that includes the 3 free bundles, which I only got three THINGS total out of those.)  

I thought I would slow down, but couldn't resist Zelara.. just too cool.  I just started the PC membership this year so yes, that makes sense.  But I guess I've become a content junkie.  surprise

I did go with a Seagate Barracuda 4 tb drive..6 months old...  So far so good.  I agree with others here, it is more affordable but really want to spring for an external Western Digital

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I have HGST and Toshiba drives and I like them (they are virtually the same drives). When it comes to content tho, I back up on more than one drive. Just in case, yanno. LOL

Laurie

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,723

I've been a DAZ customer since they were known as Zygote. I only have 37 Product pages.indecision

Up to 102 with the TD8 bundle!

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

I have 5 external drives and they're all Western Digital.  It's all I've ever bought over the years and never had a failure.

HorusRa said:
    L'Adair said:

You made me curious, so I peeked at mine. Holy moly! At least I can say I've been doing this a bit longer, (by about 9 months,) and you've outspent me by a few thousand!

I'm glad your wife is an artist too and gets it. My husband would never understand. His car payment on a 2015 Ford Fiesta bought new is $201/mo. but I've averaged about $350/mo, just here, since getting involved with 3D in 2014. Fortunately for me, he doesn't read these forums!

Tis true. My 'Product Library' says 148 pages since march 2015, 'Orders' page says 132. Shannon understands but she still says I spend/spent too much, I've slowed down quite a bit within the last 3 months. If I was just starting I would do it all different. I could have saved money with all the pro bundles, other bundles, and other freebies, daz is giving away as incentives but I already own all the pro bundles and etc. Like a lot of other people, I don't see or get a lot of incentives, a very good reason to buy slower. So, if anyone out there is just starting, there are benefits to buying slower.

How did you get the actual numbers for the spent amount over there on the right?  Mine won't do that (unless it's preventing me from dying where I sit).

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    sapat said:

I have 5 external drives and they're all Western Digital.  It's all I've ever bought over the years and never had a failure.

HorusRa said:
    L'Adair said:

How did you get the actual numbers for the spent amount over there on the right?  Mine won't do that (unless it's preventing me from dying where I sit).

That's part of the ever-popular DAZ Deals Browser add on, available here:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/106296/announcing-daz-deals-browser-add-on/p1 ; And yes, sometimes seeing how much you've spent can be a bit horrifying. 

• HarvellHarvell Posts: 37
    I have 81 pages, starting about September 2009.
    Cybersox said:

Cybersox said:

Sigh... I've added 20 pages... approx 800 new items... since posting in March, bringing my total page count to 278 pages.  And I've got another cart in the works that's already 25 items...

And 11 days later I now have 281 pages.  Danged Victoria Birthday sale...

Less than two months later and I'm now up to 290 pages... @-@  It's kinda scary.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556
    edited September 2018

After 12 months, I reached 53 pages.

It's time to make a break and get a new computer. I need more disk space, more RAM and more GPU.

Post edited by Noah LGP on

Gah... The PC+ sale always kills me and this year is proving to be no exception.

I just crossed the 300 page mark... that's ten pages, over 400 products,purchased since August 27 and the PC+ sale is just getting started.  My poor credit cards crying

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Karibou said:
    Novica said:

ETA: I question my judgment when it comes to 3d products and financial responsibility, lol..

Interesting.  I have had the opposite experience.  The Wester Digital external drive I purchased died in less than 2 months.  My several Seagate drives are still kicking along just fine. Just goes to show that everyone should be backing up frequently no matter what they have.

And I spent a rather large amount of money on my laptop, specifically to run Daz and do my art on. And I consider it money well spent.  When my PC bites the dust at some point, I will build then next one specifically for Daz as well.  The PC I currently have was built for gaming specifically very large RPG's and fortunately, it handles Daz fairly well.  Not as good as the new laptop, but most definitely usable

• My product library is 38 pages, and I started around 2006. I'm still noobish at DAZ Studio even though I've been around for a while. I do enjoy using DAZ Studio a lot though. For the purposes of a hobby I find doing 3-D art fun and enjoyable, and I like shopping for content as much as I like using it! I'm a happy DAZaholic.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

Im officially at 130 pages smiley though I do actually use a fair bit of that LOL