"Are you getting any ideas?" (maybe some boning involved)

FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 469
edited July 2018 in Carrara Discussion

Hah, ha. .... are any of you interested in making a decently well made Jack-in-the-Box model that can be animated, as well as animated fold up paper airplanes too.

I have some ideas about making a series of Jack-in-the-Box models, with various funny and odd things popping out of them. So skeletonizing, or boning if you prefer, would be required. I found only one Jack-in-the-Box model in the Store, and it was part of a large Santa Claus Workshop model set. There are a few freebie models out on the web but not many.

https://www.wikihow.com/Fold-Paper-Airplanes

Maybe a try with constructing some Pinata models too, that can be animated. They burst when stuck so maybe the particle emitter could be used with them.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pi%C3%B1ata

I attached some photos from a Google listing.

Post edited by FONSECA on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713

you don't want to know where my mind wandered......... devil

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    th3Digit said:

Context, as they say, is everything devil

(and yes, my mind went there too...)

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

charlie in the box ?

Nath said:
    th3Digit said:

Context, as they say, is everything devil

(and yes, my mind went there too...)

tee hee

boning American slang

like root Australian slang?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

cool

Always be wary of an Australian with the nickname Wombat...

eats roots and leaves. devil

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Stezza said:

cool

Always be wary of an Australian with the nickname Wombat...

eats roots and leaves. devil

better than eats, bones and leaves

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Selina said:

Something like this...

Comprised of basic geometric shapes rotated to form the final shape - simples!

Selina

Hah, ha. .... are any of you interested in making a decently well made Jack-in-the-Box model that can be animated, as well as animated fold up paper airplanes too.

I have some ideas about making a series of Jack-in-the-Box models, with various funny and odd things popping out of them. So skeletonizing, or boning if you prefer, would be required. I found only one Jack-in-the-Box model in the Store, and it was part of a large Santa Claus Workshop model set. There are a few freebie models out on the web but not many.

https://www.wikihow.com/Fold-Paper-Airplanes

Maybe a try with constructing some Pinata models too, that can be animated. They burst when stuck so maybe the particle emitter could be used with them.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pi%C3%B1ata

I attached some photos from a Google listing.

best to do it with morphs if they are just jumping up and quivering 

you could enter into the metaball channge and make some your self ;)

• FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 469
    edited July 2018

I like Wombats.

Maybe a  "Wombat in the Box"

I made a Jack-in-the-Box model years ago for the attached render,. but I want to make some new ones now that I understand how to model in Hexagon, and also finally learning how to use Blender. My Jack-in-the-Box in my image kind of looks like an evil version of Charlie in the Box.

made in 2002 1280.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 139K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

FlashGarcia - it looks awesome! Love the colors and composition.

This isn't a tutorial, but might stimulate your brain - it shows an accordian rigged:

edited July 2018

DesertDude,

Thanks for the compliment, and the video.

I attached the wrong render image version in my last post, but I fixed that and here is the one I orignally wanted to attach. It's larger and some minor faults were fixed. It was completed in 2002.

made in 2002 1280.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 139K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027

@FlashGarcia - I love your creepy guy in a box.  No need to look for a substitute, that guy has everything under control!

creep on a box?!  tee hee

root beer

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited July 2018

Selina,

I had my " show animations in web pages" option off. Now I am viewing your blue Gif animation for the first time. It looks great so far.  I am jumping all over the place trying to catch up on lost CG creation time . So I am sorry about this late post.

Added this later

My original thoughts on folding a paper airplane model would use pivot placement. Maybe using bones instead, as in your paper airplane, could also be used to make a series of Japenese paper folding models and adding posing options to change a generic Japanese folding model into various forms. I don't know. Maybe it can't be done.

I opened up Carrara and spent a half hour fiddling with adding bones to a flat vertex square for folding, and although it turned out a mess I could sense some possibilities if I did it right snd got everything in order. Maybe, maybe not.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited July 2018

Selina,

How to make animation of Paper Plane in Blender - YouTube (720p)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNek1tRkhqg

Have you watched this video? Your foldout looks like the one used in the video. I haven't watched it all the way through yet with the sound on, just scanned it and  "Holy Toledo", or "Hijole!" (oh brother!) it looks very involved and a headache maker.

Making my Cryll in Hexagon and then fitting him with a skeleton in Carrara, and then weight mapping him tired me out for a while and I stopped to take a rest before trying the Joint options.

How about, "Ming in the Box" for those fans of old serials?

edited March 2021

Selina,

I expected that video "How to make animation of Paper Plane in Blender - YouTube (720p)" to have a voice describing how to do all that stuff but instead there is just awful pop music. The only way that video would be useful to me would be if I snapped each different description image and then combined them into a PDF file for easy viewing and scrolling.

Here is a another video on how to make a foldable paper airplane with a French narrator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPBuPI284Zg without music, but the guy must be living in a nosiy area, and sick with a cold. Lol

The only test I have done so far in Carrara is one with a flattened cube, used as a square piece of paper, and then trying to figure out how to start fiolding sections of it. I used bones and then weight painting. It was late in the evening and I was pooped so I said forget it.

Now, I will use the lined paper method and try following what you and the videos have done.

edited March 2021

Although Carrara is my favorite overall CG program for constructing scenes and rendering them, with post production done elsewhere, it has it's annoying limitations. So with that said I have decided to use Blender to make my folded paper figurines.

I actually had an origami folding program somewhere.....

edited July 2018

th3Digit

Thanks, but I downloaded the program and it won't load up but just gives an error message.

I have it loaded up now, but what kind of files are these ... how do I run the software?

th3Digit

Thanks, but I downloaded the program and it won't load up but just gives an error message.

I never actually used it either 

I am a hoarder of crap, I have programs that generate procedural spiral seashells, Celtic knots and probably 10 tree generators not to mention every 3D human program you can imagine.

th3Digit,

Some of those old hoarded programs can still be usueful I find. I found a 1999 program called Spiralizer. in my dusty Cg archives, that is still great for making Spiral stuff.