TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis series Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.10 by RKane_1

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

YAY!

So happy I could help!

• edited October 2012

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You !!! This will help speed up my process quite a bit. I new I could save the head morphs, but I always had to dial the rest. Now I can save my custom characters as Shapes .. save a lot of time !!.

One problem I ran into though ... in the same Properties Editor Tab, you have to highlight the new Morph, right click and chose "Auto Follow - ON" to get the clothes to fit. Do this before you save your morph.

Post edited by sparky_1_1bcc1a2f60 on
    edited December 1969

You're welcome! Glad we could help!

About the Property Editor Tab and 'Auto Follow - ON" I am unfamiliar with it, to tell you the truth.

If I click it on, what will happen and if I don't, what will happen?

edited October 2012

Aah.. found OUT what will happen and I am adding to the tutorial, ustmeNhere!

Thanks for helping me learn something! :)

Post edited by RKane_1 on
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Rkane I created a pdf of this, hope you don't mind. found this better reading as on forum here.

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4 or 4.5 by RKane_1.pdf
    http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/84343651/file.html

edited December 1969

Cool with me. :)

Always happy to help!

• rbel_295e7c1d4crbel_295e7c1d4c Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Many thanks. This is probably the best example of a Daz related tutorial that I have encountered so far. Logical, clear, good illustrations and it does not assume that any prior knowledge level exists, which is where so many tuts fall down.

edited December 1969

Thanks so much!

I appreciate you saying so!

:)

• mos6507mos6507 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Is there a good modeling strategy when you want to conform a mesh to a different mesh's topology?

edited December 1969

mos6507 said:
    Is there a good modeling strategy when you want to conform a mesh to a different mesh's topology?

What were you trying to accomplish?

• mos6507mos6507 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I have characters in T-poses and I want to port them to other software.

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/5121/naginabakshi.png

• edited April 2013

Hey thanks for the tutorial but the save has changed.

There is no longer a save option for DSF, just found Morph Asset.
    This is an awesome feature.

Edit: Just found Morph Asset...

Post edited by garyp156_91954b7311 on
  • HamishboyHamishboy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks RKane, this tutorial is brilliant. I'm really starting to get my head around custom shapes and morphs for DS. Going to look at your other Tuts as well. Thanks :)

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    mos6507 said:

What were you trying to accomplish?

Honestly, I have never done that. I would probably eyeball it.

edited December 1969

Gary_P said:
    Hey thanks for the tutorial but the save has changed.

There is no longer a save option for DSF, just found Morph Asset.
    This is an awesome feature.

Edit: Just found Morph Asset...

Cool, cool. I am happy to see you figured it out. Nothing has really changed from the tutorial, thankfully. I just did it the other day and worked fine.

edited December 1969

Shamusboy said:
    Thanks RKane, this tutorial is brilliant. I'm really starting to get my head around custom shapes and morphs for DS. Going to look at your other Tuts as well. Thanks :)

I am very glad I could help and thanks for your kind words.

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited May 2013

Is there a tutorial on creation of a new Figure Morph for base Genesis figure? The main question is skeleton behavior. I can transfer skeleton from initial morphed/scaled Genesis Figure to the new modified Shape through Joint Editor transfer function but it seems to work only with this shape morph. And I cannot figure out a way to save this skeleton transformation with the new morph. I'm not very good in English, so, I might miss something reading/watching existing materials. Any suggestions?

PS: I do not have ZBrush but modo 601 and 3d-coat 3.7, so, I cannot use GoZ.

PPS: Thanks to Mec4D youtube channel, finally got it working. Is the all morph data kept inside the resulting .dsf file? I mean is such single fbm .dsf file share-ready? Cannot check it myself now.

Post edited by Coon Ra on
  • gypsyangelgypsyangel Posts: 1,010
    edited December 1969

OK---I'm really new to Studio, pretty much a Poser character creator---but I need a quick and dirty way to save a character head morph only---is there an easier way to do that? Without the hoops and bother? I've got her back from ZBrush with no problem, can even find the morph. Now I just need to know how to save her as a character...I didn't change the body any, just the head.
    Thanks for any help...

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

OK---I'm really new to Studio, pretty much a Poser character creator---but I need a quick and dirty way to save a character head morph only---is there an easier way to do that? Without the hoops and bother? I've got her back from ZBrush with no problem, can even find the morph. Now I just need to know how to save her as a character...I didn't change the body any, just the head.
    Thanks for any help...

Hi,

Pretty easy to do.

Make sure your morph works and then zero it.

Under File, Save As, go towards the bottom of the list of save options and you will find another fly out sub menu:
    Support Assets and then choose Morph Asset.

A dialog will come up. Your name will go in the Vendor Name, Name your morph in the Product Name box. Then start expanding the Properties and find your morphs name (I always name my morph the same as what I will name it under the Product Name to keep it simple), when you find it just check it off and click Accept and your done.

Deselect Genesis and then load up a new instance of her and where ever you put your morph it SHOULD be now listed and usable.

Side bit of knowledge:

If you go to the Properties tab where your newly imported morph will be you can easily customize the morph properties with bar colors and you can even create a sub directory, like GypsyAngel Shapes and so as you build your library of character morphs you can use that as the default and folks will expect new character morphs to land there.

Notice the screen shots.

The Parameter Settings dialog screen grab shows the options. To bring up the Parameter Settings dialog please click on the little gear next to your new morph. This will show a drop down menu and click on the first option. That will bring up the Parameter Settings dialog and you can go from there.

To change the Path just click on the down arrow and choose a new path. To create a new path, hilight and type in the name of the path you want to create.

If you need a sub path then just do this: type in GypsyAngel/Head Shapes or Gypsy Angel/BodyShapes.

Another bit of info. If it's a body shape then please make sure the Auto Follow box is checked or clothing will NOT conform properly to your new shape. You may as well have that option checked even if it's a face shape in case someone throws a super hero mask on your character.

I always have the "Use Limits" checked off and usually set the Min to -0% unless your morph looks good with negative values.

And that's about as easy as it gets.

Parameter_Settings.jpg
    884 x 497 - 93K
    Morph_Asset_dialog.jpg
    350 x 611 - 34K
    edited December 1969

Oh, cool!! Thank you very MUCH!! I'm about halfway done with this girl's skin---got a few tweaks to make to her morph, but I like how she's turning out, despite not knowing how to even work the lights in Studio. That's been a huge headache...and figuring out the shaders isn't being a whole LOT of fun, either. But I at least can turn it on, load Genesis and find my morphs! :D
    Now off to see if I can put this into practice.
    I tried working with the first tutorial, but got muddled up and lost...so tried again and again---but you come to a point where it's just better to ask directions rather than wander through the wilderness...

v6-02.jpg
    610 x 600 - 136K
    edited December 1969

I cannot even imagine what I am doing wrong...
    I got my morph---got it back from ZBrush. Followed the instructions---zeroed it out, did the Save As Support Asset
    And even saw the morph---changed the colors like you said to with the little gear thing. And now the morph has disappeared. It's the third one that's done that.
    I can't find it in Studio. I can go into the folder in My Library and I can find the morph. But it's not in Studio any more. I looked at each individual morph and it's just not there.
    What am I doing wrong? I'm in tears...I've spent 2 and half days trying to get this to work. Everything that could go wrong, has---ZBrush kept crashing,(*needed to reinstall GoZ because of the ZBrush update last week) then Studio kept crashing.( I have NO idea why---cranky --- program) Now transient disappearing morphs?
    I'm am so ready to go back to Poser and never look at this program again...

HELP!!

an-01.jpg
    850 x 520 - 142K
    edited July 2013

One thing I, IF you are working on Genesis 02 Female is that new morphs, for what ever reason, are not being coded with the correct parent address.

Look under "modifier_library" You will see:

"id" :
    "name"
    "parent" ..... "parent" is the line you need to look at.

If your line is not this:

"/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf#GenesisFemale-1",
    then your having the same issue as I'm having. I changed it to that to test it out, reloaded Genesis 02 Female and there was my morph!

If it's not I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps send it to me and I can look it over and try to suss out what's going on.

I'm sorry this is so frustrating for you. I know new stuff can be daunting esp if there are potential bugs that might be making the learning process even harder! :-(

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Okay ... if I read all this enough times, maybe I won't miss a step.

Then again, may be back with some questions.

Do I understand correctly that from some information on the 1st page; one can save the rigging information IN with the new morph.
    So then one can dial up their own new morph just like the ones that we purchase here?
    That would be so kool.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Do I understand correctly that from some information on the 1st page; one can save the rigging information IN with the new morph.
    So then one can dial up their own new morph just like the ones that we purchase here?
    That would be so kool.

Yes, the ERC should save with the morph (if in doubt, go to Property Editor, find the link, and make sure it is set to save with Controller (the morph) and not the controlled property (the changed joint centres)

edited December 1969

Correct, If you have resized body parts or whatever yo will need to first make sure the rigging is recallibrated and then do an ERC Freeze to lock it in and then save out the new morph. The new rigging info will be written into the morph. Pretty cool! !!

edited December 1969

Whoopee!!! FINALLY got one to work right, yes :-)

Thank you everybody.

edited December 1969

YAY! Happy it all worked out for ya!

edited November 2013

Okay ... I'll be uploading a mini-tut on this topic since I make the pictures anyway to remind myself "how to" .... hope I have the basics right this time. Once upon a time I released something about morphing, then discovered the rigging issue, then tried a saving routine and while it worked the saved files were horrendously large and so part 2 and the first part tutorials I pulled them. So for those who follow my tuts, hoping I've got it the information better this time, felt rather obligated to share the discoveries. I made it in a cooler environment which was offline and so I wasn't able to remember how to spell everybody's names correctly for to place thank you credits ... so "thank you" ... and if I've made another loopie discovery, please feel free to PM me the better information. Going back offline soon, it's way too hot here for the computers. With humidex today, according to reports a friend heard, Fahrenheit about 115. Also please to excuse any little typos, hard to proofread one's own work esp in this heat. Will be in my DA gallery when it's uploaded.

edit: Here's the link ... ? sometimes DA gives one the pdf file to read online but if one right-clicks on the download link, can choose "save as" and download the .pdf file. Link Retired - new D/S has made changes for the workflow ;-)

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

GypsyAngel!

Wow! What a beautiful figure. I hope you share her with us or, if you plan to sell her, you let us know where we can find her! :)

edited December 1969

Oh, I'm sure she'll be for sale here at DAZ... :)

adrie-orange-sm.jpg
    647 x 800 - 149K
    angel-01pst.jpg
    1263 x 1500 - 496K