Carrara 8.5.0.204 Beta (Update)

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Right. Those are "Figures" as they include "model" as the second line in the hierarchy. Here's a great trick (only for Carrara):
    Select the figure and go to the motion tab to get the size of the thing. Load in a replicator (not surface replicator) and make the grid the size of the figure. Now tell the replicator how many you want in any of the three directions. That's how I use Jack's stuff to make long halls! :)

EKW_GIS.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 862K
  • MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Madbat said:
    So far this is the worst beta of the bunch. It crashes constantly when I try to do anything with genesis content, it's sluggish, and unresponsive the rest of the time. I hope this isn't supposed to be a near finished product.
    And it needs smoothing and collision at the very least.

Are you on a mac? If not we must not be using the same build of C8.5, what build are you using?

I'm not having any of those issue. So far I am on my 9th test run using dynamics and G2, then sending to carrara. So far all the screw ups have been on the Studio end. I use genesis in carrara quite a bit,out side of the iffyness of autofit, and weirdness using poses, I haven't had any issues.

More over it has smoothing and collision. But like many of carrara's features, they don't work on DAZ content. Not even a simple "duplicate".

Nope, not on a mac, I'm on Win 7 (amd X64 x6 cpu, 16gb ram) Cararra 8.5.0.204

So far I've tried loading pre made genesis characters morphed and clothed, they come through fairly iffy. most of the body morphs come through fine, textures (need some tweaking but that''s expected) but no head morphs and any tops they wear don't fit, lots of poke through all over. If there is a smoothing/collision function I have no knowledge of it. Iffy fits are something I expect with cararra, I do wish it would handle morphs in the editing functions better. All I can seem to do is edit one morph at a time. Kind of a pain. This is where I like the Daz auto fit, and bridge to hex, I can fix things, or in Poser, I have the morph brush tools. I can work on morphed figures and clothing without the meshes popping back to the default unmorphed state. That's handy for fixing issues that come up from morphed and posed figures. It also lets me tweak poses, and change positions. Using proxy figures is a one shot. Not good if if constantly fuss with things like I do. That's why I never really got into dynamic cloth much.

If I'm missing something I'd really like to know about it.

I've also noticed certain scenes (dreamlights stuff especially) generate a lot of nil point errors, and the scene cannot be rendered at all. On one occasion I also had all the properties panes go blank. I had to shut down and re-start. I've never managed to duplicate that; it seemed random.

I haven't used the replicator much, but it did work nicely on the Dystopia city blocks. I find greeble blocks still need to be hand placed though, using replicator on them usually spaces them strangely. as they're all different sizes. I was thinking of making lower poly prop people in various poses for replicator. Might work for crowds in city scenes.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fit issues, ya. That ius why I'd like to see a revamp of the auto fit. But I rarely if ever have had C8.5 crash. And I have griped about modeling in the assembly room on autofit clothes is a no go for me. Carrara has the tools to fix fit issues, if you can use them.

edited December 1969

One way you can use a replicator for Greebles would be to assemble a square city block with them - and group that. Repeat this process a couple more times for variety - then run those square groups through a replicator. I know, though... as much as I like them, it would be nice if they were square.

Poke through and morphs reverting back to "0" when working with a modeler is one of my peeves as well. Also, I wish they gave some sort of explanation about what the heck we're supposed to do about the protected topology thing when we do need to tweak. I'm hoping that some of this is why it has not been released as an official upgrade yet - and that it will be fixed by the time it does. Without some kind of method to fix poke through... Genesis 1 & 2 will not be used much. At least by me, anyways. I can't afford the time involved to paint over poke through for all frames of my animations - forget that.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    tbwoq said:
    I guess that its my OS or system files then, unless others that have Vista 64 bit reply that its working. The 'Breasts Flatten' morph slider(s) I'm almost certain is an issue to report though.

agree 'Breasts Flatten' morph slider(s) does screw up the eyes

this has been fixed .

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

AS bigh says, this has been fixed. You need to download the updated Genesis 2 female essentials package.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info bigh, chohole.

Genesis 2 is now working on my system. The morphs and drag and drop posing errors are gone. There might have been something in the previous content download that was causing my issues.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited June 2013

I'm on my death bed now. Time for me to croak. Yes, I lived a good life. I used to do animations with a software called Carrarra. Daz promised us Genesis in the last beta (209). That was a long, long time ago. I was young and full of energy then.

Now I'm old. As a favor, before I croak, I would like to use Genesis in the production version of Carrara. Is that too much to ask? I'm leery of using the beta for a finished animation. I've been waiting so long. I hold no grudges towards the developers at Daz. They have a lot on their plates. I've come to terms that I may or may not use Genesis after all before I die. But still there's an irrational and irremediable hope for Genesis yearning at the bottom of my soul... hope springs eternal... although I'm not holding my last breath.

Post edited by argus1000 on
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    I'm on my death bed now. Time for me to croak.
    Please tell me that you have a bad sense of humor, and this is not literally true!
    Please!
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    I'm on my death bed now. Time for me to croak.
    Please tell me that you have a bad sense of humor, and this is not literally true!
    Please!

Of course, it's a joke. My apologies if you din't find it funny. For some reason, people don't like jokes about death. I'm not sure why.

edited December 1969

No... I love it - now that I know for sure it's a joke! lol
    My daughter is continually trying to die on me - so my nerves are kinda shot that way.
    Whew! ~ I'm glad! I need more of your animations!

• Max TurladMax Turlad Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Hi all

is there a trial version of Carrara? I'd like to try to understand how it works and whether it can be useful to my work of video editing.

Thank you, Max.

edited December 1969

Yes there is a trial but I am not at all sure how carrara could help in video editing.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Yes there is a trial...

Thank you, ManStan,

I found this: http://carraracafe.com/ where there is a trial version.

I am not at all sure how carrara could help in video editing.

Create landscapes and animated objects to integrate with my video editing application. For example, a DVD motion menu where you could "navigate" virtually in the choices of various articles. Or a camera that is flying in a room with pictures on the walls, each picture "takes" life when the camera zooms into it (starting a video). Or, again, a place where virtual set in chroma key mixing real actors with virtual actors and so on ....

Thank you, Max.

P.S. sorry for my bad english.

edited December 1969

Got ya. Yes, I have seen some real nice videos done of carrara life in a real setting; one of those DAZ creatures. So I know it can be done with carrara, not sure if the trial version can. Probably can ;)

edited December 1969

ManStan,

LOL yes, but is a good start to know Carrara, then i'll can buy it.

Thank you, Max.

edited December 1969

sbilf said:
    ManStan said:
    Yes there is a trial...

Thank you, ManStan,

I found this: http://carraracafe.com/ where there is a trial version.

I am not at all sure how carrara could help in video editing.

Create landscapes and animated objects to integrate with my video editing application. For example, a DVD motion menu where you could "navigate" virtually in the choices of various articles. Or a camera that is flying in a room with pictures on the walls, each picture "takes" life when the camera zooms into it (starting a video). Or, again, a place where virtual set in chroma key mixing real actors with virtual actors and so on ....

Thank you, Max.

P.S. sorry for my bad english.

Absolutely - depending, of course, on what you have for Movie creation software. But you can even do your video composites right in Carrara if you don't have any other composite software. I have Sony Movie HD (which is very inexpensive) and that can composite really nice - and so can Dogwaffle: Howler.

But you can actually use your video footage in the scene background of Carrara and make animations (text, effects, people, vehicles, animals, clouds, whatever you can dream up) directly onto them right within Carrara.

edited July 2013

Hi, Dartanbeck

... I have Sony Movie HD (which is very inexpensive) and that can composite really nice - and so can Dogwaffle: Howler.

Perfect !!!! LOL I have Sony Vegas Pro v. 12 64 bit. So I don't need to tell you the high quality of this software. In fact using these compositing features of Vegas, I would integrate the 3D.

Post edited by Max Turlad on
    edited December 1969

After seeing, first hand, how great their lower priced apps work I am definitely going to be upping my game to Vegas when the time dictates it. I was really shocked to see how good the built-in tutorial system was implemented, and I guess they have that in Vegas too (?).

Carrara is an enormous amount of tool. You can use it in many different ways - or just one - or anywhere in between. I bought it initially to be Poser with modeling capabilities and used it that way for nearly a year. Once I started frequenting this forum more, and learning what other were doing I started trying different things as an enjoyable exercise, rather than to add these techniques to what I was doing. As my knowledge of Carrara grows, my efforts toward CG art become easier and faster, but with much better results.

Besides adding Genesis compatibility, which was the only goal of this .5 upgrade, I find it to be a better Carrara all around. I use Carrara Pro 64 bit, both 8.5 and 8.1

edited December 1969

I'll just struggle along with virtualdub. Works great for what I do, it has a lot of features I haven't ever used. I use it for minor video editing, and compressing.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I'll just struggle along with virtualdub. Works great for what I do, it has a lot of features I haven't ever used. I use it for minor video editing, and compressing.

Yes, Virtualdub is a great tool for your use. Video editing is my work and would like to integrate primary with a "step ahead" using Carrara as well as to the many existing plugins for Vegas. I'm not sure if you understand what I mean (I'm using an online translator), but I think that Carrara will be my application favored for 3D. I do not think a very expensive compared to other 3D applications. There are many companies that offer video effects (such title, color correction, transitions, etc. etc.), but I find them all the same and really expensive.

I think he almost Dartanbeck my own point of view about Carrara and Video Editing.

Thank you, Max

edited December 1969

Carrara is my 3d modeler and animation studio. I use it more than any other software. Within Carrara I build scenes that are the stages for the 3d animations and save them to the browser using my own, custom organization method. I spend a lot of time on my scenes getting them to adhere to the overall look that I want for my movie. This includes the way they're arranged, how they're lit, and making sure that there is plenty of space (or the lack of) for what I need out of the actors within the filming process. They all include at least two filming cameras of different angles. I optimize my scenes to render as quickly as I can get them to - while still holding the integrity of what I need from them. Most of my scenes are fully realized in 3d, rather than using billboards as I find that I like the look more.
    I also build my 3d actors within Carrara. Each of the main characters gets a set of cameras within their file - which loads in as a single group for each actor. This group contains the actor and cameras plus highlighting rig designed to help that character stand out a bit better - and is also designed to work well with the way I light all of my stages. I create multitudes of prepared Non Linear Animation files for my main characters and save them to the browser (I love Carrara's browser!) under the name of that character.

When I have extra time, I like to load up and watch some of Cripeman's online Carrara video tutorials and those from Phil Wilkes from the Infinite Skills Carrara Tutorial Set or wok on my Carrara Information Manual, here in the forums. I find that even repeat tutorials and information is fun to watch over again, like episode reruns on TV and helps to instill more Carrara knowledge, inspiration and enthusiasm. I feel that it has helped me tremendously.

I use Project Dogwaffle Pro: Howler for color grading and correcting problems that might occur during an animation render as well as for additional special effects post production. But it is also used all the time for creating texture maps and editing my still images. Sony also works great for some of that, too and can handle huge amounts of video files, sounds and music. Howler lets me actually paint on animated clips and perform rotoscoping. One of the plugins I bought for Howler is also available for Vegas, but not for Movie HD, which is what I have.

Although I could definitely do my text stuff within Carrara - I do my titles and such in Movie HD. You could even do both - since both are so good at letting you choose what goes where and how. Carrara is the most limitless production tool I've seen though. Just as I was typing this I got the idea of using text with a glass face and blasting inside each letter with particle emitters - just for a different effect. They could be spark particles, or bubblegum balls, leaves or whatever else one can dream about.

You are so right about the affordability of Carrara - as it's got to be one of THE biggest bangs for the buck one can get these days! Get Pro - it has everything that Carrara has to offer.

edited July 2013

I was just experimenting with the new Genesis 2 Female figure in the 8.5 beta. I decided to try and build some clothes for her.
    What a pleasure! Carrara is an excellent 3d modeling tool! Especially now that we can do so in the Assembly room!

I watched Phil Wilkes instructions in the latter half of chapter 7 of his Advanced Carrara Techniques, where he shows us how to create conforming clothes for Victoria 4 within Carrara and finish it off in Daz Studio. DS has changed a bit since then, so I went here where the developers at DAZ 3D so kindly tell us what to do on the DS front.

I've been a 3d modeler for some time - but have always preferred to buy my characters and clothes. I still do. But this technique is really cool - and allows us to make all sorts of things work towards our Carrara endeavors using Daz Studio Pro as part of our production toolkit.

I was always begging for a DS/Carrara bridge. But it's such an easy thing to export .obj from Carrara and import into DS - then save as a supporting asset...

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Dartanbenk wrote:

"You are so right about the affordability of Carrara - as it’s got to be one of THE biggest bangs for the buck one can get these days! Get Pro - it has everything that Carrara has to offer."

Yes, that you are my "mentor" LOL I do treasure of this thread that will, with all its links, my personal Bible. Can I call you Dad???

Thank you Max.

edited December 1969

sbilf said:
    Can I call you Dad???

Thank you Max.

LOL!
    Sure, Son! Your chores will consist of creating new animation techniques in Carrara, and posting your adventures.
  • edited December 1969

Coming back after some time, I downloaded the latest 8.5 version 204 from my account. The serial number indicated there does not work(expires april 2013)... so I checked the other serial number given by the administrator on this forum and assumed to be valid until 18th july, does not seem to be working either... Any idea?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Mouron

If you're copying and pasting from the web page,. make sure that you're not copyiing any spaces from the end.

if you're typing it in,. make sure that the version you're entering the serial code for,. is the correct 8.5 Beta version, ....not your C8

hope it helps

• SG78SG78 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

iMac (mid 2011)

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Mountain Lion

Hi, I'm using the Beta version of Carrara on my IMac. I'm having trouble trying to use the 3D paint tool to texture a Genesis character.

The problem or bug happens when I'm selecting different surface areas in the 'create texture' dialogue box.

I'm able to SHIFT select all the textures in the dialogue box, and I'm also able to select just one surface area, but as soon as I attempt to COMMAND click and select surface areas that are not in order, Carrara Freezes and I have to do a FORCE QUIT to close the program down.

I also have the Beta installed on Windows 7 and I have no problem doing this operation with a CONTROL click.

So I'm guessing this is just a Mac thing, which is a shame because I'd rather be working on the iMac. Just thought I'd pass it on to the Devs if they were unaware.

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi SG78

The Dev's don't get to read through the forums,. so it's best to submit a bug report,. through the help desk.

• HeavyDHeavyD Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

When will 8.5 be out of Beta and released without an expiration date?

This discussion has been closed.