Floyd 8

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    JOdel said:

I may be completely off base here, but I wouldn't be astonished to discover that it was when George for G3 made his debut and shot to the top of the popularity polls overnight, that DAZ woke up and decided to start pushing the envelope a little.

I wouldn't be surprised either.  George G3 was a fantastic character on his own, but as a mixing element he's simply incredible for making characters seem "real," and that's where this latest round of DAZ bases like Eddie, Ollie, Edward, etc are clearly being pitched.      

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited May 2018

Some of you asked for the shower cap so I made a quick one and used Mec4d PBS Shaders vol.2 for Iray Plastic Tin.

Unfortunately I don't have Floyd yet, but will get it eventually, so Ollie was glad to try it on!

18_Ollie shower capF.png
    360 x 450 - 223K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Artini said:

Another image of Floyd 8 with Gilgamesh morph, rendered with HDRI map from https://www.daz3d.com/mec4d-hdri-beach-vol-1-super-megapack

Does anybody know, what is the cause of the sawtooth shaped shadows and how to avoid them?

it can be caused by lack of detail in the texures; jpg files don't contain enough detail, especially when saved at lower quality. One of the reasons I ask for png files.

Anyone rendered the Troll without Floyd?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    JOdel said:

I may be completely off base here, but I wouldn't be astonished to discover that it was when George for G3 made his debut and shot to the top of the popularity polls overnight, that DAZ woke up and decided to start pushing the envelope a little.

'woke up' = 'customers actually showed provable interest in such products'

Here's Floyd tweaked to be Chinese. (Took more work than making him a black man)

It's Floyd's skin, but I tweaked the transmitted color SLIGHTLY more yellow to make him look more Chinese (people often overdo this; most Asian groups don't look jaundiced, people)

Inspector Huise.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 286K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Excellent!

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    nicstt said:

I did a render of the Troll without Floyd a couple of pages back ( https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3648011/#Comment_3648011 )

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I honestly think there is room for different characters in all sizes and shapes...

However we have had 3 older man releases lately and there is only so much I can use.

Male figures have already been more diverse for sometime. Monsters and unusual aliens tend to be male. Females sometime have occasional monsters but usually of the sexy variety.

To reverse the trend I’d  say you’d have to see more character actor female characters and a few strictly pinup men... which we don’t ever see. 

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    Oso3D said:
    JOdel said:

'woke up' = 'customers actually showed provable interest in such products'

Here's Floyd tweaked to be Chinese. (Took more work than making him a black man)

It's Floyd's skin, but I tweaked the transmitted color SLIGHTLY more yellow to make him look more Chinese (people often overdo this; most Asian groups don't look jaundiced, people)

Wow, he looks like a cross between Buddy Ebsen and Andy Griffith.  Very cool!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

To reverse the trend I’d  say you’d have to see more character actor female characters and a few strictly pinup men... which we don’t ever see. 

Um, what?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Oso3D said:

Um, what?

"And what am I? Chopped liver??"....he seems to say. LOL

Laurie

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    nicstt said:
    Artini said:

Another image of Floyd 8 with Gilgamesh morph, rendered with HDRI map from https://www.daz3d.com/mec4d-hdri-beach-vol-1-super-megapack

Does anybody know, what is the cause of the sawtooth shaped shadows and how to avoid them?

it can be caused by lack of detail in the texures; jpg files don't contain enough detail, especially when saved at lower quality. One of the reasons I ask for png files.

PNG file looks exactly the same - I have compared them visually.

y3kman said:
    Artini said:

Looks like a shadow terminator problem. Try increasing the Render SubD.

Thanks for the tip. Will try that and see if it helps.

Carola O said:
    nicstt said:

I did a render of the Troll without Floyd a couple of pages back ( https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3648011/#Comment_3648011 )

Ahh, thank you; I had seen it but forgot.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    nicstt said:
    Carola O said:
    nicstt said:

Ahh, thank you; I had seen it but forgot.

No problem :)

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

Some of you asked for the shower cap so I made a quick one and used Mec4d PBS Shaders vol.2 for Iray Plastic Tin.

Unfortunately I don't have Floyd yet, but will get it eventually, so Ollie was glad to try it on!

The shower cap looks great, is it available somewhere?

It looks good on Olli too:)

Here an Image with the fantastic Troll that comes with Floyd.

I think he is just great.

Trolls.jpg
    1524 x 1700 - 979K
    edited May 2018
    AllenArt said:
    Oso3D said:

Um, what?

Laurie

Lol, nice render... Sure he’s a hunk, but does he come with suggestive poses, skimpware and pinup style offerings like the female character? Male characters are rarely sexually objectified like the females characters sold here.... when male characters are packaged with purely sexy skimpy clothing..and pinup outfits and clothing then we will have achieved parity. =-) 

Some pas can’t even get the male genitals correct in their bundle characters.... so yeah, men are a bit behind on pinup stuff... 

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

Some pas can’t even get the male genitals correct in their bundle characters....

surprise  That sentence can be read in so many very wrong ways...

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    AllenArt said:
    Oso3D said:

Um, what?

Laurie

Lol, nice render... Sure he’s a hunk, but does he come with suggestive poses, skimpware and pinup style offerings like the female character? Male characters are rarely sexually objectified like the females characters sold here.... when male characters are packaged with purely sexy skimpy clothing... then we will have achieved parity. =-) 

Some pas can’t even get the male genitals correct in their bundle characters....

Its to a lesser extent for certain, but a good numbers of the male bundles definitely do come with some skimpwear. Owen didn't really, but Darius came wih 2 that could qualify

Lucas 1:

and Michael 8 even got boob armor with stupid cutouts

Idk about poses, what is the male equivalent of the boob but pose with "surprised gasp" for a facial expression?

edited May 2018

Those outfits are comparatively tame compared to the thong  and panty stuff  sold for the ladies. I would even argue shirtless doesn’t really qualify but perhaps the other two.

as far as poses go there  are options. But the default male  poses sold here seem to be men standing about flexing exhibiting physical strength and their muscles. Kind of boring especially after the Billionth set.. The closest I’ve found is for guy 7 who actually had some cute pinup poses. Male pinups aren’t hard to find though and believe me men can have butt poses as well... =-) 

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • lwaveslwaves Posts: 237
    Oso3D said:

Change a few details in the face morph, darken the hair, change the skin but keep the outfit and you won't be too far off a pretty decent Columbo. 

edited May 2018

Archibald from https://www.daz3d.com/good-guys-for-genesis-8-male

with Floyd 8 maps.

Archibald05pic02.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 359K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

What a fantastic character!  Bought the bundle yesterday, but got home from work so late that by the time I had downloaded it, I didn't have time to try him out.  Spent most of tonight upgrading the computer PSU.  Just had about 10 minutes to try a couple of renders.  Looking forward to the weekend and some quality rendering time with Floyd.

• @Pet Glad you like it.

If you don't mind to be a tester for this freebie, here it is.

There is no shaders included (I have no clue how to do a convincing transparent/tranlucent plastic shader but Mec4D shaders or others should work. It should be available later at the other place beginning with a R and maybe ShareCG.

Please let me know if is works fine.

zip
    zip
    xmasrose-shower cap.zip

@Pet Glad you like it.

There is no shaders included (I have no clue how to do a convincing transparent/tranlucent plastic shader but Mec4D shaders or others should work. It should be available later at the other place beginning with a R and maybe ShareCG.

Oh, thank you so much. I have those shaders by Mec4D and will test it now. :)

• brimstoneomegabrimstoneomega Posts: 343
    edited May 2018

@Pet Glad you like it.

Shower cap works great! I used those new plastic shaders that just came out and set the cutout low in the top. Thanks for sharing! 

Oh, and who said Floyd couldn't be a pin up model?

(Please limit image widths to 800px. ~mod)

Floyd Pin-Up.png
    1000 x 1333 - 2M
    Floyd Pin-Up 2.png
    1000 x 1333 - 2M
    Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Those outfits are comparatively tame compared to the thong  and panty stuff  sold for the ladies. I would even argue shirtless doesn’t really qualify but perhaps the other two.

as far as poses go there  are options. But the default male  poses sold here seem to be men standing about flexing exhibiting physical strength and their muscles. Kind of boring especially after the Billionth set.. The closest I’ve found is for guy 7 who actually had some cute pinup poses. Male pinups aren’t hard to find though and believe me men can have butt poses as well... =-) 

I don't know but men pinup style poses are done, I reckon, as Firemen, Policemen, Military... Check out Christine Agueilera's Candy Man song video for a safe for work example and those movies, I can't even remember the name, but even in those male stripper movies I bet the male strippers come in dressed as professionals in security and rescuemen style jobs and then strip to briefs (I just looked it up and those movies are called Magic Mike & Magic Mike XXL).  There was also one called Monty Python's,  no it was The Full Monty, but I think they were Welsh coal miners or something.

@Pet Glad you like it.

Attached a quick render of the shower cap.I used Floyd as the model and a latex shader for the cap, I wanted it to be more shiny:)

Shower cap quick render..png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
  • SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684
    Artini said:

Floyd 8 with Gilgamesh morph from: https://www.daz3d.com/swole-for-genesis-8-male

Love this render, and a wonderful mix of morphs!!