The Midget Modelling Adventures

themidgetthemidget Posts: 287
edited May 2018 in Art Studio

I thought I would seperate my modelling progress from my character design and create this thread.  I'm going to start by exploring spaceship creation in Blender, inspired by @sura_tc in this thread.    

I have started by removing half the cube and adding a mirror modifier to ensure symmetry.  I then deleted the back face so that it is only edges I am extruding.  I think this will reduce the final polycount.  Then I started extruding sizing and shaping the basics.

The back view shows that having subdivided the square edge, I used Loop Tools to make it circular.

Post edited by themidget on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

I'm looking forward to following your progress.  Sura has great modeling tips in the spaceship and start-with-cube threads.  Very generous.

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287
    edited May 2018
    Diomede said:

I'm looking forward to following your progress.  Sura has great modeling tips in the spaceship and start-with-cube threads.  Very generous.

Thanks Diomede.

Finished the basic body shape.  Now to have fun!

Spaceship003.jpg
    600 x 236 - 33K
    Spaceship004.jpg
    600 x 352 - 47K
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

I have no real idea what this is (Hexagon sort of made my brain go melty angel) but looks interesting.

Noswen said:

I have no real idea what this is (Hexagon sort of made my brain go melty angel) but looks interesting.

Thanks.  It's hopefully going to be a spaceship but my wife has the computer I started it on and I'm so stupid, I didn't save it to a USB stick.  I have started another one on this computer but I haven't done any screenshots yet.  Hexagon looked quite simple compared to Blender but Mine froze a lot, besides which, I think Blender is far more versatile.

edited May 2018

This is one I am working on at the moment.  I won't give a full explanation but it involves a cone, some cubes and a few cylinders.  If anybody has any questions about how something is done I'll be gladf to answer them.  This is inspired by the Space 1999 Eagles.

Spaceship.jpg
    633 x 387 - 45K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

You are doing so much better than I am in Hexagon @themidget !

I am going to be following your progress with this as it may inspire me to finish my projects lolz!!

edited May 2018

You are doing so much better than I am in Hexagon @themidget !

I am going to be following your progress with this as it may inspire me to finish my projects lolz!!

I know what you mean.  I don't think I have finished any modelling I started yet!blush

I added some plating to make it look more "technical"

Spaceship2.jpg
    636 x 375 - 51K
    edited May 2018

...and...

Spaceship3.jpg
    650 x 197 - 30K
  • rohan7679rohan7679 Posts: 38

Nice modeling. If you want to quickly add detail do a search for kitbash 3d. 

The links below are a bunch of free kitbash kits that you can readily download and use. 

https://gumroad.com/adrianrutkowski#

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/W2K4Q

rohan7679 said:

Nice modeling. If you want to quickly add detail do a search for kitbash 3d. 

The links below are a bunch of free kitbash kits that you can readily download and use. 

https://gumroad.com/adrianrutkowski#

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/W2K4Q

Thanks @rohan7679  That's useful info.  The bits you linked too look pretty cool too.

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931

Great to see you modeling here! Interesting to see you you work. Keep it up!

-Rak

Rakuda said:

Great to see you modeling here! Interesting to see you you work. Keep it up!

-Rak

Certainly will @Rakuda.  I'm working hard at the moment as summer is coming and we are getting a lot of bookings at work so I am resting when I get home but I will continue with the modelling at the weekend.  I'm about to do a 14 hour shift and will finish at midnight.  Not looking forward to it but it gets the money in.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956
    edited May 2018

@themidget - You've done very well with @sura_tc's tutorials. I used to have the blue eagle from Dinky Toys. I loved that toy. Think you're doing well, and thank you for the reminder of old times. 

Post edited by Wanderer on
  • sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174
    edited May 2018

Keep going at it. It took me years to get comfortable with what I do.

Do watch out for poly count and try least sub-div you can get away with.

P.S. It also helps to have some sort of lore behind ships. Spaceships I model always have a lore behind it as they were modelled for my novel.

P.S. 2

I advise you not to use any 3rd party utilies or free meshes to use especially when you are just beginning. Doing everything the hard way is the way to learn basics. Loop tool is an exception.

Post edited by sura_tc on
    Wanderer said:

@themidget - You've done very well with @sura_tc's tutorials. I used to have the blue eagle from Dinky Toys. I loved that toy. Think you're doing well, and thank you for the reminder of old times. 

@Wanderer - thank you.  I used to have the original green transporter and white freighter. 

@sura_tc - thank you for the advice.  Having a lore sounds like a good idea, like having a story behind a painting.  With the first spaceship, I did the shaping along the way but I think your idea of extruding the box to size first is probably better.  The thing I dread most is learning maps and the node editor.  I will get there though.

edited May 2018

Tried continuing with the first ship.  Added a cylinder and sphere and worked with it but I don't think I can complete this one as the mesh is a bit tricky to work with.  One favourite trick of mine is to duplicate an edge loop, convert it to a curve then full-bevel it to create a ring.

First Spaceship.jpg
    700 x 320 - 50K
    edited May 2018

I think this will become high poly but I like the way it is looking.

Spaceship4.jpg
    700 x 306 - 45K
    edited May 2018

Another view

Spaceship4a.jpg
    708 x 426 - 122K
  • sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174

What's your verts count? (It's displayed on top)

And you can reduce sub-div level on the head part by turning the mesh to smooth. (In edit mode, look to your left, on third tab).

edited May 2018
    sura_tc said:

What's your verts count? (It's displayed on top)

And you can reduce sub-div level on the head part by turning the mesh to smooth. (In edit mode, look to your left, on third tab).

228,442 vertices.  Reduced sub div to 1 with smooth.  Tried removing sub div but the mesh distorted aound the windows.  Vertex count now 222,466

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956

Very nice--keep going!

Wanderer said:

Very nice--keep going!

Thank you.smiley

edited August 2020

Been pretty impressed with the new freebie from ZBrush - Zbrush Core Mini.

Facey2c.jpg
    1440 x 794 - 161K