Carrara Challenge #40 NOIR WIP - A warm welcome to our PA sponsor, Fenric

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited June 2018

that will be a great challenge for you Misty ... looking forward to seeing your results

Here I used the BW Blue filter in Carrara and used a very strong light at around 350 to accentuate the rims

then more adjustments in PSE
    seems the upload images aren't showing again in edit mode.... what is Daz doing!!

Le Chasseur De Sang.png
    800 x 600 - 569K
    Le Chasseur De Sang_original render.png
    700 x 525 - 190K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Stezza said:

that will be a great challenge for you Misty ... looking forward to seeing your results

Here I used the BW Blue filter in Carrara and used a very strong light at around 350 to accentuate the rims

seems the upload images aren't showing again in edit mode.... what is Daz doing!!

That's a beauty Stezza :) Master of lighting are you. Great atmosphere too

Selina said:

GETTING RGB SEPARATES

Whilst experimenting to see if it was possible to get a greyscale image render directly out of Carrara without the need for third-party plugins, I thought I'd share with the Community some of my findings...

The images below show that it is possible to render out separate RGB channels which can then be processed further for effect:

THE SIMPLE 'HOW TO'

By placing a plane between the camera and scene objects in view, you can apply a shader that will 'absorb' the unwanted colour channels (click on images below for setting details.) For example, if you want to see the Red channel only then you need to absorb the Green and Blue ones; Green + Blue = Cyan. In the following example Cyan is the chosen colour to absorb. A quick way to find the desired absorption colour is to add/subtract 50 to the H value when using the HSL Color Picker.

HINT: Red has an H value of 0.00, Green 33.33 and Blue 66.67. Their compliments are Cyan 50.00, Magenta 83.33 and Yellow 16.67 respectively.

When creating your final BW image, you can modify the result by using one or two of the colour channels as a starting point - just an idea!

Selina (Alas, still teaching old dogs..!)

very cool 

MDO2010 said:

Here's an example rendered with just one light, using a map (just any image will do) instead of the blinds preset. I made the image I used for the gel (attached in case you want to download it and play around) in about 15 seconds in Photoshop. It's just white where I want light to pass through and shades or grey/black where I don't. Lighter grey lets more light through.

Note that since I was making my own map to use, I also applied a little bit of blur to it to soften the edges some more.

You can get pretty crazy with creating your own light gels like this. Attached are some quick renders using a mix of different light gels I either bought here or made myself.

terrific thank you for the blow blow by!

head wax said:
    the fifth is blown out lighting with sand filter but saved as a grey scale tiff  (9000 pixel render - would be better to render this one at 4500 wide?)

The grey scale tiff render is inverted, like a photo negative.  Not sure why it was designed that way.

head wax said:

very interesting - I could see a happy medium beteen the first two but that ink dot effect in example one is calling like a siren

Totally get the "calling" part. :)

head wax said:

Great challenge UB - you rock (Ps real life is screaming at me at moment so if I dissappear you'll know why)

Thanks.  We all know your deal, and understand.

head wax said:

edit this kind of scene is becoming a Noir Cliche I tink (overhead shot with long shadow in streetscape)

Love that cliche!  This Challenge is built for cliches. :)

Thank you UB :)

edited May 2018

here two not noir but using sand plugin with Toon1Pro111

first one is the pure posteffect01.render pass

carrara seperates posteffects out in two passes

the second one is a straight render 

DoctorMoreBeard_PostEffect0.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    toon!Part3sand.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 641K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited May 2018

Great work by everybody.

Started this before Stezza uploaded his great Le Chasseir render. "Smokin"

Carrara setup

Raw render

Black and white.

Smokin 1 Carrara setup.png
    2270 x 1033 - 606K
    Smokin 2 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited May 2018

I think I'll make a try this challenge. Something inspired from this scene from "Casablanca"

HVC.gif
    500 x 331 - 977K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited March 2021

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Stezza said:

Wow! 

PS - Stezza covered a lot of the basic archetypes of noir here, and covered them very well (the appropriate slang term is "he killed it" :).  However, please feel free to use the same elements in your renders.  In a Noir Challenge, everyone gets to use these elements, and use them often.

Sorry if this was self-evident.  Just thought that it needed to be spelled out for those who may be concerned of stepping on toes.

MDO2010 and Stezza, thanks for those excellent light gel tips!  And thanks to Misty for the great question (I wouldn't have thought to ask).

edited May 2018

HW, great looking usage of the sand plugin.  For some reason it doesn't show up in my filter menu, while the B&W filter(s) works fine.

Bunyip02 said:
    Black and white.

Ha!  Bunyip, you stole my idea. :)

Philemo, look forward to hearing you play it again, Sam. :)

Selina, you are just above and beyond!  Thanks for posting that tutorial. 

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited May 2018

Hello, hello.  I have now cleared quite a bit of non-3D stuff off my desk.  Woopie-eye-A!

Freebie Noir Prop - Gun and box of bullets.

See attached.  I made this for a prior challenge.  Free to use for any purpose.  The shaders for the box might not come through so just apply something simple.

zip
    zip
    357 Magnum and Bullets by Diomede Zip.zip
    5M
    ff01 gun freebie for noir challenge.JPG
    1676 x 939 - 133K
    Post edited by Diomede on

HW, great looking usage of the sand plugin.  For some reason it doesn't show up in my filter menu, while the B&W filter(s) works fine.

Bunyip02 said:
    Black and white.

Ha!  Bunyip, you stole my idea. :)

Philemo, look forward to hearing you play it again, Sam. :)

Selina, you are just above and beyond!  Thanks for posting that tutorial. 

Hello UB, you could always do a Frazetta-esqe girl variation.

edited May 2018
    Selina said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Started this before Stezza uploaded his great Le Chasseur render - Smokin'!

Love the stance of the alien in the foreground and do you mind me making a suggestion? There's not enough contrast between protagonist and scenery. Perhaps you could throw the background building into shadow?

Selina

Hello Selina, feedback is always welcome !!!!

Unfortunately my scene has suffered an "End of file error" and apart from rebuilding the scene from scratch or doing some advanced post-work the options are a bit limited.

Smokin-1 corrupted.png
    566 x 359 - 34K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Bunyip02 said:

Great work by everybody.

Started this before Stezza uploaded his great Le Chasseir render. "Smokin"

Carrara setup

Raw render

Black and white.

Bunyip02 said:

terrific stance on the alien, wonderful idea - sorry about the car file :(

Philemo said:

I think I'll make a try this challenge. Something inspired from this scene from "Casablanca"

terrific Philemeno, great that you will enter, looking forward to seeing how you approach that!

Selina said:

Hi

Gelly Maps

Here's a short tutorial and accompanying image maps to illustrate my findings on Light Blind Gels. You can use it to create your own Blinds just as you want them!

Selina

thanks so much to you and Diomede for your kindness. Looking forward to watching the vid and shooting myself in said foot

Thanks UB , strange about the sand filter , bummer - is it showing up in the extensions folder ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

this Youtube uploader used Carrara AFAIK for their animation

Diomede said:

See attached.  I made this for a prior challenge.  Free to use for any purpose.  The shaders for the box might not come through so just apply something simple.

Thanks Diomede!  What shader do you recommend for the barrel?

I remember when I tried to talk you into using a snub nose instead.  What I didn't realize until later is that you had modeled the gun yourself. :(  And its an excellent model.

head wax said:

Thanks UB , strange about the sand filter , bummer - is it showing up in the extensions folder ?

Yup, all three files.

Bunyip02 said:

Hello UB, you could always do a Frazetta-esqe girl variation.

Hmmm.

edited May 2018
    head wax said:

Yup, all three files.

I have two sand.txt files - one a sand-copy.txt file - not sure why I will have alook at them and see if they are the same

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Great theme UnifiedBrain! Some of the images from the chapters of the old Eovia user guides were kind of noir-ish. :)

Great work here all, and so fast!!

I'm still working on a model, and still haven't decided on an overall theme. Hopefully done with the model by tomorrow so I can show a WIP.

Selina said:

I used the built-in "Barn Doors" Gel on my main Spot to focus the eye into the center of the snooker balls and the smoking cue (thanks to Primivol)! The restricted lighting seems to suggest menace to me... with it's black shadows and keylit objects; I don't know if people agree?

Yes it does suggest menace. I haven't experimented with Barn Doors, maybe once(?),  so thanks for the reminder that function even exists. :)

@Diomede - thanks for posting the link, I haven't read it yet but hopefully will stimulate imagination here.

@Stezza - cool use of gels. Knocked it out on a practice run? - wow!

@head wax - super cool use of the filter, and I love the perspective. Just the thumbnails alone have a wonderful spooky vibe with those long shadows. :)

@ Selina - brilliant about using absorption. Thanks for sharing you in depth findings.

Stezza said:

Rendered two images .. one G2 decked out as Inspector Gadget, modelled his prop

and another image using Phil W city blocks .... then playing around in PSE

@Stezza - love the subject and compostion - dynamic!

@MD02010 - thank you for sharing you experiments with absorption and your explanation of using light settings with the Blinds option.

Stezza said:

Awesome - looks like a poster for a movie!

head wax said:

here two not noir but using sand plugin with Toon1Pro111

first one is the pure posteffect01.render pass

carrara seperates posteffects out in two passes

the second one is a straight render 

Cool effects head wax. I don't have much experience with ToonPro other than a few tests. Cool that the sand plugin can be combined with ToonPro? (Sand filter doesn't work for me anyway...but may be cool to know :) ).

Bunyip02 said:

Unfortunately my scene has suffered an "End of file error" and apart from rebuilding the scene from scratch or doing some advanced post-work the options are a bit limited.

Bunyip02, sorry to see that, what a total, frustrating drag. Great image! Wonder who was the unfortunate recipient of all those bullets?   indecision

Diomede said:

Hello, hello.  I have now cleared quite a bit of non-3D stuff off my desk.  Woopie-eye-A!

Thanks Diomede! Great you got your desk cleared...so now you can focus here, where your attention belongs. smiley

th3Digit said:

this Youtube uploader used Carrara AFAIK for their animation

@th3Digit - I remember a year or more ago someone posted a preview here for that and I was so psyched about it. I always wondered what happened and if the full version was ever available. Thanks for the reminder.

edited May 2018

Thank you @DesertDude!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Cool video @WendyLOvesCats

@UB

here is the contents of my sand.txt

COMP {
    RsID 198
    Strg "Sandy filter"
    Strg "SDK Examples"
    }

I think I must have made a copy of it because I experfimented with cchanging the number 198 to others - not make any difference??

I also have a sand.mcx and sand.dat

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021