List of sites with free HDRi

13»

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    prixat said:

Have you got White Magus on the list?

http://www.whitemagus3dmodels.com/

...mostly architectural models but has some free HDRs in EXR format.

I do now...laugh

• I don't if you already have it and I missed it; but anyway I came accross this one while looking for some interior HDRIs

http://www.lughertexture.com/

They also have outdoors HDRIs and some other textures as well. Free for personal use; commercial use requires purchase of a license.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I don't if you already have it and I missed it; but anyway I came accross this one while looking for some interior HDRIs

http://www.lughertexture.com/

They also have outdoors HDRIs and some other textures as well. Free for personal use; commercial use requires purchase of a license.

Wow, thanks for the link!

edited October 2016

I'd like to than Barbult for the great tip she gave me...

I was trying to figure out an easy way to save a bunch of HDRI presets and she told me a very simple and easy method.  Just save as a Render Settings preset.  When saving the preset, in the dialog box that allows you to select which parameters to save, simply uncheck everything, then under Nvidia Iray Render Options expand the Environment section and just check what you want/need...minimally that would be the Environment Map.  Also render an icon/tip set of images.  I use a simple sphere with a chrome shader preset applied. 

It may take a little time to set them up, but once done it saves time in the long run.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508

5 new added to the free hdri pack on hdrihaven,com

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    DigiDotz said:

5 new added to the free hdri pack on hdrihaven,com

I picked them up last night. I especially like Cave Wall.

edited October 2016

I've been using mostly Greg's (HDRIHaven) freebies, lately.  The latest bundle has a 'bonus'...it includes several resolutions...at least 2 of which are suitible for both lighting and backdrop use...

And since he has some of the cheapest prices and best useage terms around...it may not be a bad idea to grab a few of his paid ones, either.

Post edited by mjc1016 on

I added it the other day...it's lost on page 1, I think :)

• Yeah, now I see them, all the way down. Maybe put the new ones under a temporary heading close to the top?

Yeah, now I see them, all the way down. Maybe put the new ones under a temporary heading close to the top?

I think I'll do that next time...as it's getting hard to find the new ones down at the bottom. 

Greg Zaal has a lot of nice new freebies, if you haven't looked recently.

• mjc1016 said:

Yeah, now I see them, all the way down. Maybe put the new ones under a temporary heading close to the top?

I think I'll do that next time...as it's getting hard to find the new ones down at the bottom. 

Thanks! I did look but a few weeks ago... apparently there's more stuff... what a generous dude =)

• mjc1016 said:

mjc1016 said:

Thanks! I did look but a few weeks ago... apparently there's more stuff... what a generous dude =)

I'm not sure what happened to his site but all I get is a big countdown timer that underneath says "Things are changing"

mjc1016 said:

mjc1016 said:

I'm not sure what happened to his site but all I get is a big countdown timer that underneath says "Things are changing"

Hmm...it was just there, the other day.  I downloaded some.

I'll mark it 'offline' for now.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited October 2017

Great News. Greg Zaal's HDRIHaven is now back up and all the HDRI's (including high resolution, except 16K) are now free:

https://hdrihaven.com/index.php

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,029

Hey, question:

Can you have intersection between the HDR image/environment and a prop or figure? For instance, if you wanted to depict a dune buggy in sand, could you "sink" the buggy's wheels a bit into the appropriate place in the image, or would you have to use postwork? I have never used an HDR envirpnment before... only mesh backdrops... so I don't quite get it.

• An HDRI is basically a 360-degrees-around image, with some lighting information imbedded into it, it isn't a 3D object with topography or anything of the sort.  It is sorta-kinda like a skydome, but more sophisticated because it contains info that says "The light is this color and intensity and is coming in from THIS direction."  A lot of them are made by someone placing out a 3D camera and taking a set of panoramic pictures which then get converted into the full-wrapparound-image you load into an HDRI-ready application like Daz Studio.

So, no, you woudnt be able to insert, say, indentations into the sand on the beach, because the beach you see is just a photographic image in a panorama.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,038
    edited May 2018

You can. Set the Ground to Manual and lower the object until the bottom goes below ground level.

creech-001.jpg
    600 x 900 - 269K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Eagle99Eagle99 Posts: 159
    masi3vee said:

Hey, question:

Can you have intersection between the HDR image/environment and a prop or figure? For instance, if you wanted to depict a dune buggy in sand, could you "sink" the buggy's wheels a bit into the appropriate place in the image, or would you have to use postwork? I have never used an HDR envirpnment before... only mesh backdrops... so I don't quite get it.

Yes you can.

"Iray Matte" is the keyword. It is an additional property and surface you can add to any object in your scene.

Here is how it works:

Kind regards, Eagle99

• Thanks for mentioning my website with HDRi Maps. I have re-uploaded alll free hdri maps and now everything is 10.000 x 5.000. Feel free to visit HDRMAPS and download some Freebies

086_hdrmaps_com_free_tonemapped.jpg
    540 x 270 - 45K
  • elvispelvisp Posts: 1
    edited July 2020

Hi Guys!

Download free HDRI Skies / HDRI Environments for your CG Scenes here:

https://www.iHDRI.com

Free of charge, without registration and e-mail spam, with a resolution of up to 16384x8192 Pixels, for private and commercial work.

Thank you!

Post edited by Chohole on
  • What are backplates and what are they used for? Cheers

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    elvisp said:

Hi Guys!

Free of charge, without registration and e-mail spam, with a resolution of up to 16384x8192 Pixels, for private and commercial work.

Thank you!

those hdri are magnificient! and the free part is very appreciated! :) thank you!

however, i really wish there would be details, most importantly the location where they were taken, like on hrdhaven (well, most have geo details, sadly not all).
    point is, let's say i use it in a render to illustrate sth happening in a certain place, like "norvegian monk in abbey", and someone tells me "hey, this is in italy"... not the end of the world, but a bit embarassing TT

elvisp said:

Hi Guys!

Thank you!

those hdri are magnificient! and the free part is very appreciated! :) thank you!

however, i really wish there would be details, most importantly the location where they were taken, like on hrdhaven (well, most have geo details, sadly not all).
    point is, let's say i use it in a render to illustrate sth happening in a certain place, like "norvegian monk in abbey", and someone tells me "hey, this is in italy"... not the end of the world, but a bit embarassing TT

EDIT: i realized the file name, when you download it, actually mentions a name, so it can be searched online for details... nichts für ungut ^^, and thx again!

Eagle99 said:
    masi3vee said:

Hey, question:

Yes you can.

"Iray Matte" is the keyword. It is an additional property and surface you can add to any object in your scene.

Here is how it works:

Kind regards, Eagle99

wow! this tutorial is pure awesome! i had found out recently about matte - but it would never have crossed my mind to use the plane vertically! excellent well made and simple video, thanks a lot!

• mamoon4mamoon4 Posts: 1

Wow, that's really good source for HDRI,
    I'm just wondering, from your Experience, which site is providing the best and Sharper Shadow for HDRI,  bcs it's really confusing  

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995

I haven't visited this thread in a while, but I remembered it while I was organizing some links to useful websites and I came across this one...

https://polyhaven.com/ 

It's got some pretty good HDRIs and textures too... 

I checked the thread and I didn't see it here and I have no idea where I got it, but I emailed the link to myself in around 2018, so hopefully it's not redundant or was posted here before.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

McGyver said:

I haven't visited this thread in a while, but I remembered it while I was organizing some links to useful websites and I came across this one...

https://polyhaven.com/ 

It's got some pretty good HDRIs and textures too... 

I checked the thread and I didn't see it here and I have no idea where I got it, but I emailed the link to myself in around 2018, so hopefully it's not redundant or was posted here before.

It encompasses what used to be called HDRI Haven.