No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited May 2018
    PhilW said:

... Take a look at almost any (real life) clothing item when laid out, and it makes an A shape and not a T shape. So particularly the shoulders look wrong if they are modelled in a default T pose...

I must be buying my clothes in the wrong places. laugh

This comment surprised me so much (having worked for many years in retail in the past and having thus folded more shirts than one person should have to in a lifetime) that I went and pulled a bunch of shirts out of my drawers and closet and laid them out all over my bedroom to check. I looked at dress shirts, tee shirts, undershirts, pullovers, sweaters in a variety of styles... the only thing that laid out in an A was the suit jacket I grabbed, everything else laid out in a T naturally and forcing it into an A introduced weird wrinkles.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751

All I know is that a chinese made size x3 is too small for me!

yet my shirt from 1990 is a L and still fits me normally....

seems like they are upsizing the tag but downsizing the actual size surprise

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited May 2018

Great stuff, guys.  yes

In addition to the clothing layout, another reason the A-pose is useful is that many poses have the arms down by the sides. For example, if a man has his hands in his pockets, the A-pose will generally look better than the T-Pose. If a woman crosses her arms across her chest, it would be better to have the figure modeled and rigged in the A-pose.

But setting up joint rotation order and constraints is easier for carrara in the T-pose.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667

I prefer the T on top A on bottom pose myself or a star pose for rigging

Both T and A have their place, and they are mighty fine places.  T makes for a great top, and I've always appreciated a good A bottom.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

a silly newb question blush

when inserting a vertex object, like grid, 

how do you send it to origin?  or insert it so it goes to the center?

blushblush

Either

- use the top menu, INSERT : VERTEX OBJECT

or

- dag the top menu icon for a vertex object (globe-thingy) to the bottom right instances tray.

Each will create a new blank vertex object at coordinates 0,0,0.  You can then return to the assemble room and use the upper elft wrench to model in the assemble room if you want to model in a specific place to fit something.

thanks smiley  was always having type 0 in the x and y box

and theres no drop to ground?  

have to type 0 in the z box

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Mistara said:

and theres no drop to ground?  

have to type 0 in the z box

That assumes that the bottom of the object is at 0, which may well not be the case. For example a wheel would likely have its centre at 0,0,0 so that it rotates correctly.

One thing that you can do though is to turn on collision detection, and move the object down until it hits a ground plane.

edited May 2018

Rough and Imperfect Rigging

Created a base toon character.  I really like 3DUniverse's characters but I just can't get past the number of fingers and toes for the look I want.  I had all sorts of problems rigging.  Some of the details of those problems can be found here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/254696/save-to-browser-loses-info-for-joint-rotations-comments-polygon-groups#latest

Eventually, I was able to get the mesh rigged in Carrara, although the custom joint rotations were lost, which you might detect in the bends of the fingers.  The weightmapping is pretty rough, wich you can see in the bend of the left thigh.  The shorts are just painted on using a shader domain.

Eventually, I was able to get the mesh rigged in Studio, which involved some painful regrouping of polygons.  I didn't adjust weightmaps at all, which can be seen in the left shoulder.  I was able to use the transfer utility to create conforming shorts.

I am going to take some time off from this project, but hopefully I will be able to fix the weightmaps and joint control morphs.

ff01 rigging of clayman.jpg
    600 x 800 - 42K
    edited May 2018

Off topic quirky story.  

I am having tech problems with my home cable/internet system and battling the worst customer service in the history of mankind (OK, that might be an exaggeration).  For the moment, I have to go out to use the internet.  This morning, I sat in a foyer within range of a sports bar before it opened.  I logged on their wifi.  I tried to go to the internet and got a screen telling me that The Company (to remain nameless) had blocked internet access and I had to pay a bunch of money and call a number to resolve it.  Holy $h.t!!!!!  I thought, don't mess with The Company.  Went to get a cup of coffee to calm down because I don't owe them any money and they are not even providing me the actual service at the moment (although they are supposed to).  Logged in the coffee shop wifi.  Internet acces was fine.  Apparently, the sports bar has their own issues with The Company.  That message was for the owner of the bar who apparently wasn't paying his bill.   I had really thought they were tracking me and blocking my access from 3rd party locations.  Turns out all is fine (well not fine, but no need for paranoia either).

I'll check in again from the coffee shop tomorrow morning if the tech people don't get me fixed up today.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Diomede said:

Rough and Imperfect Rigging

Created a base toon character.  I really like 3DUniverse's characters but I just can't get past the number of fingers and toes for the look I want.  I had all sorts of problems rigging.  Some of the details of those problems can be found here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/254696/save-to-browser-loses-info-for-joint-rotations-comments-polygon-groups#latest

Eventually, I was able to get the mesh rigged in Carrara, although the custom joint rotations were lost, which you might detect in the bends of the fingers.  The weightmapping is pretty rough, wich you can see in the bend of the left thigh.  The shorts are just painted on using a shader domain.

Eventually, I was able to get the mesh rigged in Studio, which involved some painful regrouping of polygons.  I didn't adjust weightmaps at all, which can be seen in the left shoulder.  I was able to use the transfer utility to create conforming shorts.

I am going to take some time off from this project, but hopefully I will be able to fix the weightmaps and joint control morphs.

Ted, you did it in Studio! I'm very happy for you! I hope you will complete this model (and many others) and bring it to life.

edited May 2018

Thanks, Veronika.  I'll keep refining it over time.  I really appreciate your modeling videos.  Very inspiring and helpful.

I do feel like I've made some progress.  Here was my first attempt to model, rig, and pose a chaacter in Carrara.  

Substance Painter - Well, I had saved my pennies and I finally acquired Substance Painter and Substance Designer.  Have been watching some tutorials.  Hopefully, there will be a noticeable improvement in the shaders for my models over the next few months.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I found Blacksmith a very convenient program. I often use it to paint my models skin.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    Stezza said:

All I know is that a chinese made size x3 is too small for me!

yet my shirt from 1990 is a L and still fits me normally....

seems like they are upsizing the tag but downsizing the actual size surprise

no they just start the shoulders at the neck now, not at the collerbone

edited July 2018

Here is another landscape example for a stream or small river.  I start in an image editor like Gimp or Photoshop.  I rough in the basic terrain shape. I duplicate the layer and then blur.  I create a gradient layer in same direction as the stream.  (Optional), I create contour lines to direct water more geenrally toward the river valley.  I create a layer for the river making sure the channel goes through the roughed out valley.

Load the blur level at a standard height.  I stack the other layers (gradient, river bed, etc) by importing and setting the height at very low levels.

Use the erosion filter with rain set to very low percent to create the actual trran to be used.

Duplicate the terrain.

Import a second copy of the river bed to one of the terrains. Create a new master.  This is land.  Use your desired terrain shader.

Apply a water shader to the other terrain and translate up to fill the river.

Duplicate the water terrain again, apply a rock shader, and lower between the water and the land to create the stream bed.

04 heightmap unblurred.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 246K
    03 heightmap blurred.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 273K
    02 heightmap river black and land white.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 85K
    01 heightmap gradient.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 282K
    05 heightmap black base white hills to channel water toards valley.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 331K
    xx14 give duplicate terrain new shader as water and move up o fill river bed.JPG
    1570 x 997 - 94K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667

you could also use Roadmaker to make the stream

edited July 2018

True.  Lots of options.  For many purposes, roadmaker or even a simple painted opacity map would be quicker and quite excellent.

To the extent that there is an advantage to the (water erosion plus stacked riverbed) method, it is that I have matched up the calculated water paths with the stream.  The water is always flowing downhill, which I don't always do correctly otherwise.  The water level can be raised or lowered to expose more or less of the banks of the stream.  The depth of the stream can be varied over its length.  People can stand in the stream with water up to their knees, waist, chest, etc. and render refracted liquids.  One can convert the water terrain to a vertex object and then flatten a beaver pond, create a dam for a waterwheel mill, or steepen a waterfall. 

Fluidos!  I haven't tried yet, but I think I can convert and edit the land terrain to make a container for Fluidos, as per @Alberto in the current challenge.  If so, then animated white water rafting!  Floods!  Volcanic eruption lava flows!  To quote the bad guys in the old secret agent movies, "control the weather, and control the world.  Bwahahahaha!"  Then turn camera to breaking dam and water destroying toy model villages (why do they always look like a train set?).

Just think what @Dudu could do with the potential disaster animation!

I guess there is some stock footage that gets used over and over.  See opening disaster sequences in trailer for Our Man Flint   (within first 15 seconds or so)

https://youtu.be/X84V81FuC7M

yy01 flint trailer.JPG
    889 x 538 - 74K
    edited August 2018

Here is a quick try in Carrara for a yellow brick road with rough curbs.  I think this is an example of where I'd be better off using roadmaker.

yellow brick road wip.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    04 snake road hills roll blur.jpg
    1025 x 1025 - 87K
    03b blurred base blocked out.jpg
    1025 x 1025 - 102K
    a01 snake road raise.jpg
    1025 x 1025 - 50K
    a01b snake road raise.jpg
    1025 x 1025 - 69K
    a01c snake road curbs.jpg
    1025 x 1025 - 74K
    edited August 2018

G8F Stuff in Carrara

- just feeling the need for a quick doodle. 

- Here is Misty's G8F in Carrara character.  The figure is some dial spin morphs, Edie's skin maps, and the Lethal Rogure outfit converted to blended weights.  

G8F Sci Fi 1.png
    1500 x 2000 - 755K
    Diomede said:

Here is a quick try in Carrara for a yellow brick road with rough curbs.  I think this is an example of where I'd be better off using roadmaker.

Wwow looks good from here = :) sorry just saw this!

Diomede said:

G8F Stuff in Carrara

- Here is Misty's G8F in Carrara character.  The figure is some dial spin morphs, Edie's skin maps, and the Lethal Rogure outfit converted to blended weights.  

great balance in the pose, wonderful (contrapuntal?) weighting on her left side. You might like to answer FlashGarcia's question about getting skin right? 

@Headwax - thanks for the comments.  I pointed FlashGarcia to some posts I have on skin settings.  Now that I'm thinking about it again, people interested in skin shaders should track down Evilproducer's V4 procedural and take a look at how it was done.  Veronika, PhilW, DustRider, and a host of others do a magnificent job.  

Diomede said:

@Headwax - thanks for the comments.  I pointed FlashGarcia to some posts I have on skin settings.  Now that I'm thinking about it again, people interested in skin shaders should track down Evilproducer's V4 procedural and take a look at how it was done.  Veronika, PhilW, DustRider, and a host of others do a magnificent job.  

pleasure Thanks for pointing Fg in those directions. !

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,483
    Diomede said:

Updated with a link !!!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,483
    Diomede said:

G8F Stuff in Carrara

Very nice !!!

Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

Updated with a link !!!!

Thanks!

• FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 469

Diomede

Somehow I missed this post. I will have to take a look at it early in the day because there is so much info in it.