Beginner's quoestion about Hexagon UV-mapping

I'm complete beginner so I this might be stupid question. But I'm having real problems trying to figure out UV-mapping in Hexagon.

My particular problem now (well, one of them anyway) is that i can't have even the most simple surfaces to keep their shape when unwraping.

For example I make rectangle with x about 3 times Y and Z. When I cut one long face with seams and unwrap the thing, the single face becames about the shape of square in uv-space instead of it's orginal 2 dimensional shape. This makes it difficult to use UV-map as an template for a texture (for example I would like to make a "panel" texture with letters and numbers). Is there anyway to make this kind of simple faces to keep their shape when unwrapping?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited May 2018

I tired to do a simple box UV unfold just now. I don't know Hexagon 2.X's secret to UV mapping though. In other apps, it's usually just one click to make a UV map.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited May 2018

Here's a way to unfold a cube (see pic). To be honest, the best way to take on (and get a better understanding) UV Mapping is to watch a few project based tutorials.

Here's one by Gary Miller -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNAUQIF9k6Y

Unfold.jpg
    1907 x 1024 - 272K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375

3D-Coat gave me this UV map by default.

thing.jpg
    1266 x 720 - 299K
  • Thanks for the info Shawn. Fingers crossed there are plans for improving Hex's UV tools, but for now I just use Hexagon and UV-Viewer for making the maps.

Hopefully we will not have to wait to long for the upgrade.