Artist spatula modeling inquiry

Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
edited April 2018 in Hexagon Discussion

I would appreciate it if some of you could explain briefly, or even not so briefly if you have the time and interest, on how one models artist's spatulas with Hexagon's tool kit.

I attached a picture of a set of artists's spatulas that I found at Amazon com. I was looking for some diagram photos, or drawings, of artist's spatulas from all angles but so far I haven't found any.

Thanks

Post edited by Retro Lad on

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

What part of the modeling process do you have problems with? It is basically a cube, stretched out a bit, one end extruded and flattened and then  extruded again to make the blade. scale to get the shape right, round off the ends, maybe add a cut around the edge to be able to give the handle a bit of a taper. It is all a very straight-forward extrude-and-scale process.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

I had to do a double-take on the thread subject - as first glance I thought it said 'injury' blushlaugh

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2018

What Ascania said.

The tools (options) you will need are Symmetry, Transparency Tessellate by slice & a couple cubes.

Start of with a cube (blade) and scale it to the size of your reference image. Select the bottom face and while holding the CTRL key extrude the faces down.

As you move down the steps, with symmetry and transparency on go into Points mode and move the points into position.

Basically, thats it really. With this sort of thing it is a lot easier if you have your own camera, or hunt Google for front and side views. Scale the images in a paint package so they are the same size.

Good luck - John 

Palette knife.jpg
    1916 x 1032 - 328K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Looks like a fun modeling project. I'll have to give it a go.

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited April 2018

Confession time.

I have had Hexagon "freeloading"  on my desktop for years, maybe even a decade, and done nothing with it in all that time.

For some reason I decided to give it a serious "tryout" this year, watched a lot of video "howtos", monkeyed about with the program whenever I had time and "jumpin jehosaphat" I found to my surprise that I like Hexagon.

I know it is not Modo, or Maya, or Blender, with "billions and billions" of extra features but it is adequate enough for constructing a lot of things despite some bugs.

This last week I tried various ways to begin modeling my "spatula", and I know cubes can be used. I searched for photos on the web of spatulas taken from top, sides, bottom, front, and so forth but couldn't find any. I will probably have to take my own photos of a pie spatula in my kitchen but I will have to wash off the lemon marangue first. Bachelor kitchen.

Reference photos are a must for modeling. If my own model of a spatula looks good enough I will post a picture of it here.

Thanks for responding.

• Hope you have fun with it, there is a Hex WIP gallery here or you can post on the main gallery.

Did you find the "Geek at play" tutorials Gary Miller made, I leant a great deal from them. 

edited April 2018

Wee Dangerous John,

I have watched all the free videos I could find for Hexagon including Gary Miller's videos. I am not a pure "newbie" with Hexagon because I have fiddled with it over the years, and watched the videos over the years. It is only now that I have become interested in finishing models, and seriously learning the programs features. Why now? I could speculate, but then my post would be removed by Cohole, Ha, hah,

The blobby organic modeling options are fun and I plan to finish a model of a creature from an my old DC comic book collection series, just as a learning lesson.

Big plans before the end. (oops, ignore that Cohole)

edited April 2018

I attached some, "not the way to start" snaps below. Methods that begin the wrong way.

I decided to make the "stinkin" spatula using about seven piece elements; 3 cubes for the metal because of the bend, two cubes for the wood handles top and botttom, and three cylinders for the bolt thingies.          Stop the press; "World Stunned by Flash Hexagon Spatula"

Why does this comment box go two spaces everytime I write a new sentence, and what is the Windows command key combination for closing the door to my desktop CD/DVD burner/recorders?

spatula reject 2.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 248K
    spatula reject 3.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 213K
    spatula reject 1.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 196K
    edited April 2018

I still haven't washed by kitchen pie spatula yet .... my tabletop dishwasher is not going full cycle and I can't send the "bloody" thing to David Brinnen for fixing because he lives in Great Britain and I live in Southern Califonia. Now, if we had a teleporation system it would be no problem, fly or no flies.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136

I still haven't washed by kitchen pie spatula yet .... my tabletop dishwasher is not going full cycle and I can't send the "bloody" thing to David Brinnen for fixing because he lives in Great Britain and I live in Southern Califonia. Now, if we had a teleporation system it would be no problem, fly or no flies.

If you had a teleportation system, you could just teleport your cutlery straight into the draw and leave the muck behind?  I don't have a dishwasher, I have a washing up bowl.  The only time I don't go full cycle is to answer the door.

edited April 2018

"The only time I don't go full cycle is to answer the door."

The dreaded knocking on the front door... well at least it's no longer the Gestapo (unless they are time-traveling) , just a big nuisance usually...

Hmm, would there be a special button on the teleportation machine saying "muck removal". Would that do away with taking showers too? How about fleas on a your dog. "Flea removal" option

Holy Cow, the next sequel to the Fly", ... "The Flea"  A man has an accident with his "flea removal" teleportation option, and his dog starts turning half flea/half dog, and begins leaping over houses ....

No sarcasm, or ill will, meant here David... it's just the way my mind works always dreaming up bizarre situations

Another is kind of revolting but It would be a great relief for a person like me who is sick and tired unto death of a lifetime of taking dumps.

When that feeling of an approaching "dump" happens just step into the teleporation terminal and the machine  teleports only your dump from out of your body and incinerates it and thus no bother with toilets, sprayers, toilet paper, that whole boring tiresome gift of that tyrant Mother Nature.

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

Selina,

Hey Selina, bachelor's, like me, would want a "muck removal" option too, in our home teleportation system.

I hate housework, and yardwork, too. I want the whole works in my system, "bug removal", "dust removal", "Christian Evangelist removal (door knockers)" pigeon removal" ...... would the system have a "tractor beam" type gadget for this, a kind of teleportaion gun?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    Selina said:

If you had a teleportation system, you could just teleport your cutlery straight into the draw and leave the muck behind...

David you're such a tease! Housewives up and down the country would want one!

And miss out on the pleasure of washing the pots?  Am I the odd one out here?  Again...

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited April 2018

Here's a clean spatula for you. wink

spatula-scene.png
    1024 x 768 - 112K
    Hexagon_spatula.png
    1381 x 1082 - 213K
    spatula.png
    1381 x 1082 - 326K
    zip
    zip
    spatula.zip
    Post edited by de3an on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    Selina said:

@de3an that's a lovely cake slicer you made - I could do with a nice piece of Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte !

Thanks Selina.

I'm afraid that my spatula will only serve up computer modeled cakes and pies. Not nearly as satisfying as the real thing.

edited April 2018

I have a new Marangue Pie in my refrigerator so that will force me to clean my pie spatula.

Not bad de3an...

I am re-watching some of Gary Miller's videos to recall how to do some of the modeling method tricks.

Busy fussing with fancy handle models for my spatula, which has resulted in my experimenting with CorelDraw outlines. Years ago when I had some money from an uncles "last will and testament" I bought some useful software, which ended up gathering digital dust until now when I have a foot and a half in the grave.

I attached a snapped scene from a great low budget popcorn horror movie, of long ago, titled "The Unearthly" starring John Carradine and Tor Johnson. That looks like me in the coffin, with David Brinnen looking in saying, "don't give up yet chap, they just released Bryce 8."

Pic0321.jpg
    720 x 405 - 75K

I finished modeling my first spatula, and it's my first completed untextured model using Hexagon. I attached some screen snaps of it from inside Hexagon. I am still learning how to use Hexagon's UV mapper, so I am going to texture the spatula in Bryce. But Bryce is loaded up on my desktop computer, so I will have to copy the spatula to it from this aging laptop.

It took so long because I have been spending time re-learning Carrara's interface and options and watching videos, etc. I can also use Carrara to texture my spatula because Haxagon has an export option for saving models in Carrara format.

spatula snap 3.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 161K
    spatula snap 1.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 233K
    spatula snap 2.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 206K
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375

Looks good so far.

I had some trouble understanding Carrara's texturing methods, but I finally cracked it so here is a mediocre Carrara rendering of my Hexagon spatula.

carrara spatula May 10.jpg
    800 x 600 - 16K