Do You Have the Time - Carrara Challenge #39 WiPs Thread

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930
    Stezza said:

a couple more for fun smiley

Where does the time go

&

Time Machine

​terrific again stezza, now tell me how did you make the spring thing - and they re remarkable likeness of mini me and austin powers - so much so I want to be sick

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930

Sorry I haven't been commenting on everyone's work  - it's all so awesome. I am always blown away at the quality and how quickly you all produce your art.
    If I manage to actually finish this entry it will an homage to the game 'Ultima II: The Revenge of the Enchantress'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_II:_The_Revenge_of_the_Enchantress

I have been struggling working on the Hero inspired by the original cover art.  Below are a few of the WIPS. I know he has some issues, especially his lumpy hands, lol, but I want to actually create a scene so I'll deal with that if time permits.  laugh

wow, it's great to see people like yourself and diomede and stezza modelling organics - good stuff, and the glow in your next image is humming!!

thanks you for commenting on my work too @Diomede 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Thank you for the kind and helpful comments. smiley

a week left!

half the challenge is thinking of something, lol  

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited April 2018

Will I get my Planet of the Apes project in?   Remember this general idea?

with this time travel spaceship?

with this character?

Well, now I tried to put together the terrain, archaeology cave, wooden platforms, and distant lake.

Well, here is a test render with no poses or smoke or anything yet

test render planet apeslake icarus.png
    800 x 600 - 872K
    aa01 terrain mountain zero edge plateau resolution 257.JPG
    1889 x 1026 - 187K
    aa02 covert to vertex model.JPG
    1790 x 974 - 137K
    aa05 use extrude tool to create a cave.JPG
    1801 x 914 - 402K
    aa06 setup.JPG
    1874 x 1038 - 237K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited April 2018

added some smoke to the jet and a human doll for the ape archaeologist.  just need a shovel.  doingbthe ape hair last because my experience is that hair is most likely to get screwed up saving and replacd with a cube.

doll in test render.png
    800 x 600 - 901K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,828
    head wax said:
    Stezza said:

a couple more for fun smiley

Where does the time go

&

Time Machine

​terrific again stezza, now tell me how did you make the spring thing - and they re remarkable likeness of mini me and austin powers - so much so I want to be sick

ah yes.... I tried to use the spring in Carrara but failed miserably so popped over to Hexagon and used the spiral tool for that one .. quick and easy as yes

@diomede I had to google Proconsul  ... there are two meanings I found..... oh dear! lol laugh

Thanks for the comments on my images... keeping the thread rolling along..

some terrific WiPs appearing... I hope you all manage to get them entered... we can extend if needed.. just ask wink

fell asleep on the bus this morning, missed my stop >.< but the wait time germinated an idea for 1 more wip.
    really want to use volume clouds. angel

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

playing around with VDB's  ,. I thought this may fit the theme,.

Not an entry in the comp,. just fun :)

City_Crater_.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

what VDB means?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    3DAGE said:

3DAge, that's awesome!  And you should definitely enter it into the challenge, if nothing else to show off what Carrara can do!  :)

Mistara said:

what VDB means?

I believe it's volumetric materials for Octane, but I admit I'm a little hazy so I could be wrong.  I think the smoke and fire you see in the vid is VDB.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2018

What happens when a couple of country gals stumble upon a fully-armed time vessel?

No postwork.  Thanks Carrara!

Major products are Laura (Millennium teens), the Girl 3, Skiff Runner, Cryolophosaurus, Giant Fantasy Snake, and MatCreator's wonderful texture (from his latest product) which I used on the background..

Processes include Carrara volumetric clouds, Carrara lens flare, Carrara fire, Carrara text, and G'MIC.

Skiff Redneck Carrara setup.JPG
    1442 x 953 - 260K
    Skiff Redneck Time.png
    1000 x 1386 - 2M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Selina said:

This is coming along nicely, I'm so excited to see the final result. By the way, I had a look at your paintings - they're beautiful.

Selina

Thank you for looking Selina and the nice comments.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Thanks Jon :)

Misty,. VDB is Volumetric DataBase ,. it's a way to save volumetric simulations as a set of sequenced files .

VDB files hold info about the Density, Heat, Fuel,. which is then used in carrara's shader room to set up the Absorption, Scattering, Emission on the Octane medium shader.

In Carrara, with the OctaneRender plugin,. you'd add a "fog primitive" to the scene,.  in the effects tab,. there's an option to add VDB files,. Single or sequences.

You can create VDB files from simulations done in Houdini and (i think) Blender .

Houdini apprentice if free to use to learn (not as easy as carrara),. 

Thankssmiley  

i've never tried the fog primitive. sounds interesting.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• not time travel

but from a time travel tv show

the time tunnel

time tunnel2.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    edited March 2021

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,828

What happens when a couple of country gals stumble upon a fully-armed time vessel?

Major products are Laura (Millennium teens), the Girl 3, Skiff Runner, Cryolophosaurus, Giant Fantasy Snake, and MatCreator's wonderful texture (from his latest product) which I used on the background..

Processes include Carrara volumetric clouds, Carrara lens flare, Carrara fire, Carrara text, and G'MIC.

awesome... I'm really liking your work...

you can't do that with your boots on yes

3DAGE said:

wish it were longer.... wanting to know what happens next smiley

Diomede said:

added some smoke to the jet and a human doll for the ape archaeologist.  just need a shovel.  doingbthe ape hair last because my experience is that hair is most likely to get screwed up saving and replacd with a cube.

yep.. that dreaded cube!.... loving your wips as usual.. must think/search for a word to describe it adjectively 

don't forget the facial expressions on the ....... ....... ape devil

Selina said:

I like the comic style - I can see some funny captions...

Thanks Selina.  It's a planned series in the early stages.  I don't think that you were posting in the forums when I did the first one.

Stezza said:

awesome... I'm really liking your work...

you can't do that with your boots on yes

Thanks Stezza.  You are right about the boots - too slick.  The back story is that the aliens who created the timeship were very tall.  When Jo went to mount the cannon, she couldn't even see over the top of it.  So she kicked off her boots and jumped up on the railing.

Did I ever tell you guys that I have a great fantasy life? :)

edited March 2021

Wow, stellar work UB, it's incredible to think it was all done in Carrara with no postwork!

edited April 2018

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback.

Excellent animation, @3DAge - hope you enter it.  Really shows an aspect of Carrara that rarely makes it to the challenge entry threads.

@UnifiedBrain - the series is excellent.  plus, with product placement, can pick up some extra on the side.  laugh

@Shlomi - love the camera angle. great idea.  really brings back some memories.

Here is the current status of my Planet of the Apes project.  I used the GMIC filter for film with the pro neg hi preset

and here is the image after some filter forge love and a little photoshop compositing

gmic fuji color 2a.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 381K
    Planet Apes Scene 2e with signature.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Selina said:
    Diomede said:

Looks great; where are you putting that 60s swirly thing?

Selina

Thanks, @Selina - will only get to use the 60s swirly thing if I do an animation.  We shall see.  I don't usually do animations so finding it harder for me to finish.  I'm also trying writing camp in April, which makes it hard to find the time to experiment (although I often try to pick one new thing for myself for each challenge).