From 18 year ago, "oh my God"

FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 469
edited April 2018 in Bryce Discussion

I was browsing through a file folder of completed images that I made years ago using Bryce as my construction and render program for them. When I looked at the year date that I made the images I almost dropped to the floor.

The images I attached here were made from 2000 to 2002. My God, that is getting close to 20 years ago. The Grim Reaper is starting to creep about in Bergman style. I believe in omens, and some kid shot a metal tipped arrow through my front window which freaked me out. Everyone I mention it to replies at first with, "What!!" Call it chance, call it coicidence, I call it a "message". Time to get moving with new art work before the "Last Tango in Bryce" arrives. My gravestone/tombstone will be a huge white marble hand giving "the finger".

I am not feeling sorry for myself, but rather giving myself a Patton like "swift kick in the butt" message to get going. Come on everybody a collective "swift kick in the butt" for Flash to make him create new stuff.

The images attached were inspired by the 1960s film, "Fantastic Voyage" based on the novel by Issac Asimov.

Post edited by FONSECA on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Bryce still works. The good news about not being updated is that no new bugs are introduced. Always look at the bright side. Cool renders. I've red Asimov's Fantastic Voyage, watched the movie and also read Asimov's Fantastic Voyage II Destination Brain which he wrote after the movie. I started with Bryce in 2002 but couldn't come up with such well done renders as you show here.

• FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 469

Thanks Horo for the complement.

I still haven't read Asimov's sequel "Fantastic Voyage II Destination Brain" yet, but it is somewhere in one of my plastic bins of older paperbacks. I remember watching the movie version of "Fantastic Voyage" for the first time, when I was about 9 years old, at the Grahman's Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard. My Dad was a big Sci-Fi fan.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

Ha, very nice old renders!

Hansmar,

Thanks for your comment, and I wish I had the energy now, that I had back then when I made those images and bunch of other ones. I'm slowing down and burning the midnight oil making CG images is a rare event now.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

No problem. Just take it slow and we'll enjoy revisiting your old works.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited April 2018

I feel, FlashGarcia, the blood cells aren't likely Bryce-generated, but your imagination is well suited to this forum, for sure, and for now.

BTW, the first film was super...from what I recalll...of course, we've moved on, digital/3D-wise, so viewing it from this century's perspective may look amateurish - still, ententaining.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on

Jamahoney,

The blood cells were made in Ray Dream Studio, and the characters are from Poser. What I did way back then was to use Bryce as my main scene construction program where I would put together all the elements of my scene and then do render tests.

It's sad that Bryce is still a 32 bit program with very limited memory even using Horo's boost technique, so my next major scene construction images will probably be made, and rendered in Carrara.

edited April 2018

FlashGarcia,.in some ciircumstances, Bryce can be a very extremely useful tool for using it towards further deverlopments in other wares - i've done so myself in many times

Jay

Jamahoney,

I agree and I have plans for what I call some "still life" images using Bryce. Slowly, I am getting back into creating CG imagery again but one thing I have to do first is arrange an extra cooling setup for my desktop because it is going to start getting very hot out here in the desert soon, and I don't want my desktop computer to burn out while rendering.

In this new dump I am living in there is only a swamp cooler and no central air conditioning which I had at my last place.  One of my cousins lives south of me, near the Salton Sea in Southern California, and it has reached 119 degrees there in the summer.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Cool images you made.

edited April 2018

Pheeew, Flash, to be in such climes... we don't understand such - always wanting warms at our european end laugh 

The cold/cold-ish, less energy computer consuming companies in our regioins - not to mention tax exemptions - is why we are top of the list of success.

jay