RPG Appreciation Thread

MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
edited May 2012 in The Commons

My second most active thread was for Role Playing Game art. As a published artist for Palladium Books, I've used First Poser, then Bryce and now DAZ Studio to brighten the gaming scene with character portraits and set pieces. Currently I am working a set of Paper Miniatures for the Palladium® Fantasy Role-Playing Game to be sold at DriveThruRPG.com.

When the images come back to the forums I'll post my teaser banner, and I encourage anyone else with art for the table-top RPGs to post away too.

Personally I'd prefer the Video gamers put their art somewhere else, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who don't know the difference between the two genres, and the art is generally good either way, so post away folks!

-Mike <8]</p>

Post edited by adamr001 on

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Image uploads are not currently working (though DAZ is working on it furiously). At the moment the best you can do is post a URL to view your image.

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

Hence my "..when images come back to the forums.." line.

edited December 1969

Hence my "..when images come back to the forums.." line.
    Yup, sorry, was just seeing the big broken image and cleaning things up. :)
    edited December 1969

Nah, that's cool, I'm just jazzed to see the boards starting to go back up.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Never caught on to the fact the thread was for PAPER RPG art. That just rocks. My avatar is my character from the old days. I've never tried creating the other members of the troop. I think I'll give it a shot this time around. :)

edited May 2012

Btw, looks like image uploads are working, but auto-sizing IS NOT. Please upload only 600x600 images, and link to off-site larger ones while they continue to work on things. Thanks!

Ann was kind enough to give us an example: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/849/

Post edited by adamr001 on
    edited May 2012

Excellent!

Here's the teaser for my current soon-to-be published project!

-Mike

Larger scale version available HERE.

Minis_SigPic2.jpg
    400 x 178 - 117K
    Post edited by MADMANMIKE on
  • LillianaLilliana Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Brought a number of my Table-top RPG characters to a text based forum, but still...

Here's my Kick Artist from Shadowrun, Circa 1992

http://www.eclipsedancer.com/gallery/albums/Shadowrun/Winterfull.jpg

normal_Winterfull.jpg
    399 x 306 - 23K
    winterport.jpg
    300 x 400 - 29K
  • AlbiejeeAlbiejee Posts: 153
    edited May 2012

Speaking of Palladium.
    I've been playing around with some Rifts stuff.

My twist on the Psyscape cover. seen here https://palladium-store.com/1001/product/822-Rifts-World-Book-12-Psyscape.html

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/ardneh/Daz3d/psi.png

done in Reality2.2

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/ardneh/Daz3d/reality_scene2.png

I'm still at the playing stage with Daz Studio. Still so much to learn...
    Cheers,
    Leif

Post edited by Albiejee on
  • ForevernytForevernyt Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

I've got this image that I was told looks like it could have come from the old Dragon Magazines. Larry Elmore is a huge inspiration for me and I hope it shows in this image.

http://home.comcast.net/~forevernyt/pwpimages/sacredstones.jpg

Post edited by Forevernyt on
  • KLForbesKLForbes Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'll have to throw up some stuff. I have some renders for characters from SLA Industries and Talislanta sitting on my HDD somewhere

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 672
    edited December 1969

Hmmmmm Just what IS too big on the new forums? the posting page just lists a limit of 9999kb as the only restriction, though I can understand not wanting huge widescreen images that break the forum format (I hate scrolling side to side to try to read a forum post).

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

Here is the image posting guidelines. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/510_98/

• ForevernytForevernyt Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay, I fixed the link up above.

Here it is in case you don't want to scroll up. ;)

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Okay, I fixed the link up above.

Here it is in case you don't want to scroll up. ;)

that looks awesome

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the thread resurrection! This was one I followed with interest-so far not much has been bringing me back to the Daz forums-hopefully this thread will change that!

My second most active thread was for Role Playing Game art. As a published artist for Palladium Books, I've used First Poser, then Bryce and now DAZ Studio to brighten the gaming scene with character portraits and set pieces. Currently I am working a set of Paper Miniatures for the Palladium® Fantasy Role-Playing Game to be sold at DriveThruRPG.com.

When the images come back to the forums I'll post my teaser banner, and I encourage anyone else with art for the table-top RPGs to post away too.

Personally I'd prefer the Video gamers put their art somewhere else, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who don't know the difference between the two genres, and the art is generally good either way, so post away folks!

-Mike <8]</div>

• Atlantean6Atlantean6 Posts: 26
    edited June 2012

Shadowrun street mage.

It can be best seen here: http://fav.me/d53k1kk

Shadowrun-Street-Mage-2.jpg
    600 x 424 - 52K
    Post edited by Atlantean6 on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I hear you. These new forums are terrible; I haven't even checked them in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the thread resurrection! This was one I followed with interest-so far not much has been bringing me back to the Daz forums-hopefully this thread will change that!

I'd be posting more to this thread but I've been busy on my first two packages of Paper Miniatures for Palladium Books® Palladium® Fantasy RPG to be sold on DriveThruRPG (as teased here in post 7).

For now, here's a closeup of one of the mini's front-sides; a Hobgoblin: Larger version

hobgoblinminipreview.jpg
    600 x 766 - 165K
    edited December 1969

Wow, this message board has killed it for more than just me I guess.

Here's a sneak preview; As I mentioned above, I'm doing paper miniatures for Palladium® Fantasy RPG; to advertise (and let the customers know what they'll get when they buy) I'm doing a freebie set with some quick combat rules; Each mini will come with a card of stats based on the Palladium Fantasy RPG, but in Dragnet fashion, "Just the stats, Ma'am."

Anywho, the freebies are four Gladiators so you can have a mini-game in the set; here's the base art for them, all to scale with eachother; a Dwarf, an Elf, a Human and a Wolfen.

-Mike <8]</p>

FreebieMiniDAZForums.jpg
    600 x 375 - 241K
  • AlbiejeeAlbiejee Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

These are a work in progress.
    I'm making avatars for the characters in my Pathfinder group. Then I'll make some images of some of our most epic battles.

grp_(2).png
    800 x 784 - 2M
    Summoner.png
    596 x 430 - 353K
    grp.png
    800 x 621 - 628K
    edited December 1969

This was a commission for a friend who happened to catch the 10,000 views on my DA page.

Full sized image here: http://fav.me/d59nci3

KjellDoranDaz.jpg
    600 x 767 - 285K
  • edited December 1969

Elven female archer, protecting her kid from goblin invaders!

Did the figure about a year ago, finally got around to doing the scene for it, hehe :P

Full sized pic
    http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/characters/forestwarelvenarcher_2012.jpg

forestwarelvenarcher_2012_small.jpg
    600 x 481 - 288K
    edited December 1969

Still working on Paper Miniatures, here's a few previews..

PhaseWorldMiniPreview.jpg
    557 x 336 - 203K
    ZombiesPreview.jpg
    502 x 335 - 158K
  • edited December 1969

Character form my latest "Spelljammer" scene ;)

When the Captain gets that look in his eye...the one that says...
    "Ooooh! I've had a great idea!"
    Folk who know him well, run, far far away!
    Such ideas usually involve hordes of carnivorous undead, treasures so dodgy even Sinbad won't touch 'em, and dragons with flaming hemorhoids...or worse.
    Maybe it's the soupcon of tiefling blood, hm?
    captain_lehran.jpg
    606 x 949 - 347K
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Very nice!

edited December 1969

DWG said:

Very nice!

Thanks. I've been cleaning up my Fantasy minis for final packaging; I had white backgrounds on them and that doubled the size of the .pdf.. When GenCon is over and my publisher gets situated back at work a freebie sample set should be put up on DriveThruRPG.com with gladiators and an arena; hopefully I'll be done with the stat cards for the rest by the end of the month so the official sets can go up. 115 minis done for Fantasy!

Set 1:
    27 O.C.C. miniatures (covering almost all of the classes from the Palladium® Fantasy main book), 6 Orcs, 11 Goblins, 3 Ogres and 1 Troll. 48 in all! Each includes an N.P.C. Quick Stat card so a Game Master can use them as foes, allies or cannon fodder.

Set 2:
    Set 2 provides 1 Squire, 8 peasants, 5 city guards, 1 guard Captain, 1 Collector, 1 Scout, 4 bandits and 6 nobles, 17 Skeletons (2 Ogre), 1 Necromancer, 5 Zombies and 7 piles of bones. Bonus!: 1 extra page of 17 mounts! Each minature includes an N.P.C. Quick Stat card.

edited December 1969

Oy vey..

This afternoon I was rendering a panther for a miniature for a friend, and the D|S locked up; I was messing with the date and time settings on my computer trying to figure the time difference between myself and a friend in Europe, and the render engine got confused and suddenly thought it was taking an extra six hours to render, so I really accidentally locked it up myself.

The designated location for the render was on my 1TB LACIE Rugged external hard drive. When the program locked, I rebooted the computer, and noticed the hard drive was very hot. When the computer came back on, the hard drive didn't come back up, so I rebooted, unplugging the drive and letting it cool a while.

Long story short, the drive is dead. I bought it on February 25th, and EVERYTHING I've done since then was on the drive. Since my accident in December I've been recovering on Workers Comp, so I've had all day every day to make art, and have done a substantial amount. Much of it is on DeviantArt, quite a bit of it is still on my computer in raw ready to render files, but none of it is backed up anywhere else, so all the post-work would need to be done after rendering again. Likewise I render to .tiff for editing and save with layers, and the files online are all finished .jpgs..

To the point. My miniatures. Thankfully, just two hours before the crash, I finished all of the art for the first two packages, and have the base pdf files on my computer. Likewise as mentioned above, the base ready to render files are on my computer as well. But, the finished ready to edit artwork for each individual mini is actually done at 9x11.5 inches, 300dpi, and all of that is gone. Remaking any of them will mean spending the extra 1-2 hours rendering each image.

I need to focus on the drudgery of making the NPC stat cards for each (all 115 of them) so they can go up for sale, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Many of them will be similar to each other (like the 17 Skeletons, or the 6 City Guards), but it will be time consuming to say the least..

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

it does depend a bit on just how the drive is failing. From your description it doesn't sound good, but it is possible that data recovery can be done. Might be worth checking with a firm that does that kind of work.

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    it does depend a bit on just how the drive is failing. From your description it doesn't sound good, but it is possible that data recovery can be done. Might be worth checking with a firm that does that kind of work.

My tech guy says from the sound it's making that it's "trying to reset the heads".. The problem is I can't afford any expenditures right now, and cracking open the case to try and retrieve the data voids the warranty. I think it's probably best to let sleeping dogs lie, and accept the loss as the lesson it is. Still, 24 years of regular computer use without ever having this happen before, seems like a pretty good record to me..

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited August 2012

There's always the old throw it in the refrigerator trick. Definitely worth trying to see if you can get it up for long enough to get your data off (and it will work without cracking the case). ISTR I did this successfully myself a few years ago, but there's a description of someone else doing it (with link to an article by the same author on other disk recovery techniques) at this link http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.co.uk/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

You need to be aware that this may only work once and for a limited period, so have another drive ready to copy to, plan an order of priority for what you want to save in advance and get straight to it if the drive comes up.

And while it won't cover disk recovery, I think you should have a valid claim on the drive's warranty with a failure after 6 months.

Post edited by DWG on